• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Village

How'd you guys like Bastion?

Good game,

I like the art style way more than the game, and i like the game so compliments abound.

Can't wait for their next game.

Loved the music, I liked narrator too.

I think more games should have narrators, not that dynamic but the concept of a narrator seems to be lost in a lot of games nowadays.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Basically what Village said. It doesn't hold up on subsequent plays as much as I thought it would be it has a lot of charm and is definitely worth whatever pittance they are charging for it at the moment on steam. Interested in what they come out with next.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
One of the best damn games I've ever played. The music and narration are fantastic.

Edit:
There next game is Transistor. Looks good.

pre-ordered transistor because the intro had me feeling the vapors

never played bastion but considering getting it now since i'm at my sex room for a while instead of at my house

RedSwirl

Basically what Village said. It doesn't hold up on subsequent plays as much as I thought it would be it has a lot of charm and is definitely worth whatever pittance they are charging for it at the moment on steam. Interested in what they come out with next.

I'd actually like to know which of these small indie games actually do hold up to subsequent playthroughs.

Part of me wants to revisit FEZ as well as Limbo, and I heard Rogue Legacy has a great new game plus. Then you've got Spelunky which is basically endless.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Def getting Transistor.

Bah, I need to finish Rogue Legacy. I put a ton of hours into it, but there is something about it that I just do not like.

Risk of Rain is that crack.

You're not gonna explain that like it's normal?

tumblr_mdz5rqfHSw1qd8o84o1_500.gif

Isn't it?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
rioclutchvane is right again
You're not gonna explain that like it's normal?

once i'm out of here in 2.5 more months, i'll explain story time style the many, many adventures i've had now that things have 'settled down' since that other shit. in some ways its worse. people fail hard at life man. i don't support or revel in it, i just plan for it now.

but basically i live off-post renting a place with friends. the barracks room that i'm given on-post and forced to 'maintain' is really nothing more than a place to crash in the event of emergency or need to protect the innocent.

this is all because i'm a sexually active adult that knows he's a decent catch to most and me doing any fucking in my actual residence would possibly lead to a terrible chain of events (that old DY would laugh maniacally about).

rioclutchvane is right again

once i'm out of here in 2.5 more months, i'll explain story time style the many, many adventures i've had now that things have 'settled down' since that other shit. in some ways its worse. people fail hard at life man. i don't support or revel in it, i just plan for it now.

but basically i live off-post renting a place with friends. the barracks room that i'm given on-post and forced to 'maintain' is really nothing more than a place to crash in the event of emergency or need to protect the innocent.

this is all because i'm a sexually active adult that knows he's a decent catch to most and me doing any fucking in my actual residence would possibly lead to a terrible chain of events (that old DY would laugh maniacally about).

That makes sense.

Why does a committed man like Rio need an offsite spare room....you stepping out Rio?
lV2kE.png

Why is Sterling so salty about Magic?

He thinks Magic betrayed him. He said to Anderson Cooper that Magic told him to not say anything and let him talk to his sidechick so he could iron things out all the while the story snowballed and then Magic said Sterling shouldn't own a team and he wouldn't go to Clipper games with him as owner.

He said he was betrayed by Magic...I'm not sure what power he thinks Magic has though. He couldn't tell the media and everyone else to calm down and the players to not be offended. I'm sure his circle and lawyers were advising him along the way. Not so sure that "Nah, magic is gonna clean this up." is gonna get a stamp of approval from his network.

Sterling just sounds like he's losing it mentally.

zero_suit

He thinks Magic betrayed him. He said to Anderson Cooper that Magic told him to not say anything and let him talk to his sidechick so he could iron things out all the while the story snowballed and then Magic said Sterling shouldn't own a team and he wouldn't go to Clipper games with him as owner.

He said he was betrayed by Magic...I'm not sure what power he thinks Magic has though. He couldn't tell the media and everyone else to calm down and the players to not be offended. I'm sure his circle and lawyers were advising him along the way. Not so sure that "Nah, magic is gonna clean this up." is gonna get a stamp of approval from his network.

Sterling just sounds like he's losing it mentally.

Yeah, he seems senile. These random, personal attacks against Magic are bizarre.

Mumei

The Unbearable Whiteness of Liberal Media

I thought this was a pretty interesting article, especially since what he's describing as a way to ameliorate the structural issues is - drumroll, please - affirmative action. He doesn't name it, but that's what he describes:

If magazines want to make their staffs more inclusive, it requires more than good intentions and a broad commitment to diversity. "To use the 12-step language, first you have to name the problem," says Monika Bauerlein, co-editor of Mother Jones, which has improved diversity in the past several years through concerted recruiting efforts, yielding 12.5 percent of its 40-person staff who are members of racial and ethnic minority groups. "Diversity is something that we emphasize in every posting and that we look to as an important part in the candidates that we talk to."

So what happens if you stress diversity and still end up with an applicant pool that is almost exclusively white? "If you care about a diverse newsroom, you need to constantly be looking down the pipeline," says Ann Friedman, former deputy editor at the Prospect. "It requires you to be actively looking for new staff members, not just perusing the résumés that roll in." That means looking outside one's existing social network and actively asking minorities to apply. When the pool of applicants for the Prospect's writing fellowship was male and nearly entirely white, Friedman says she turned to the blogosphere, which is where the magazine found talented writers like Adam Serwer and Jamelle Bouie. "There are all sorts of nonwhite, nonmale writers all over the Internet," Friedman says.

Besides scouring the Internet, magazines can also increase the number of people of color who apply for fellowships and positions by reaching out to journalism departments at historically black colleges and Latino-serving institutions as well as professional organizations like the National Association of Black Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, and the Asian American Journalists Association. But the work doesn't stop there. "Even after you find someone you think will be a good fit in your newsroom, if your newsroom is mostly white and male and straight, you'll probably have to convince them they'll be welcome," Friedman says.

But cultivating diversity also means thinking differently about a candidate's qualifications. Because the barriers for entry into journalism are higher for members of racial and ethnic minorities than for other groups, they often come to the process with less journalism experience than their white counterparts.

"The pitfall many managers fall into is thinking that the most qualified candidate is the one with the most experience," says Buzzfeed deputy editor Shani Hilton, who has written about newsroom diversity, and is African American. "But experience isn't the only metric. We're hiring for a mosaic of reasons—it’s not just your clips, but also how you are in newsroom, who recognizes you and also how good you are at Twitter and on the Internet." Recruiting and investing in minorities at the entry level—including intern positions—is crucial if the industry hopes to make progress down the line; today's interns are tomorrow's editors.

And it's interesting to hear that about Jamelle Bouie. I first started seeing him at Slate pretty recently and I quite like him.

DY. Get Bastion. Worth it.

Htown still a beast with it.

My stepson tried to get a new phone today. After he played his mom's last week crying bout they gon repo his shit. She paid the damn thing on her credit card. 280.00. Att called me today to verify the upgrade. I politely asked them to put him on the phone lil ninja thought he could stealth upgrade his shit without me knowing. I told him to put me on speaker phone and the 0 fucks I gave could be heard from Triangle Town Center in Raleigh to the depths of south point mall in Durham. He will never do that shit again and his next paycheck is going to his mother's credit card.....all of it. Right after I let the ungrateful brat back in the family fold no less.

Needless to say he has raised my pressure and the foolishness I have going on at work this week isn't helping. Rio I need u dig deep in your bag of libations before the weekend, cuz I'm getting Rio'd again this weekend and if I'm just right on that get right I might be able to fight this urge to Solange the boy.

Now I'm about take the wife to Goodberry's and get some ice cream with the neighbors.....

That makes sense.

Why does a committed man like Rio need an offsite spare room....you stepping out Rio?
lV2kE.png
messed-up.gif

If you would have asked me that question 6 years ago you would not have liked the answer. We all got past my brother. Nah but seriously I had the same shit when I was in. It was easier to take some random back to the spot instead of your crib. Nobody needed to know where I stay.
DY. Get Bastion. Worth it.

Htown still a beast with it.

My stepson tried to get a new phone today. After he played his mom's last week crying bout they gon repo his shit. She paid the damn thing on her credit card. 280.00. Att called me today to verify the upgrade. I politely asked them to put him on the phone lil ninja thought he could stealth upgrade his shit without me knowing. I told him to put me on speaker phone and the 0 fucks I gave could be heard from Triangle Town Center in Raleigh to the depths of south point mall in Durham. He will never do that shit again and his next paycheck is going to his mother's credit card.....all of it. Right after I let the ungrateful brat back in the family fold no less.

Needless to say he has raised my pressure and the foolishness I have going on at work this week isn't helping. Rio I need u dig deep in your bag of libations before the weekend, cuz I'm getting Rio'd again this weekend and if I'm just right on that get right I might be able to fight this urge to Solange the boy.

Now I'm about take the wife to Goodberry's and get some ice cream with the neighbors.....

I've already said my prayer for you. As you look into the void become one with it. Let the feelings of frustration flow through and out of you. Then after you have left the voids embrace and are one with yourself, light into his ass with the rage of 1000 suns.

I don't know about yall but I'm bout to go in on this Southern Comfort and Apple Juice. I'm bout to embrace my mother fucking namesake!!!

If you're cold, its probably your own damned fault for not being prepared. You can make yourself as comfortable as you plan to be in almost any circumstance short of some forced relocation.

If you're hot, you're just fucked.

this. and i say this as someone who has lived in the Caribbean, NY and GA. too cold is a whole lot easier to rectify.

You guys see the preview for "Fresh Off the Boat"? Looks really entertaining. I can't wait for all my white friends to tell all my Asian friends that the title is offensive.

Top Bottom