• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Gorillaz

That show will either be interesting PoV on black middle class portrayal in America or Coonery Buffoonery.

Guess which one im leaning towards

I cant see it work well on ABC

It makes me wish Fox didn't cancel K-ville. I liked K-ville. I give it a half a season. If it makes it passed that then who knows.

Episode 3 of walking dead + alcohol + Mediterranean flat bread sandwich= bliss.

Infinite

That show will either be interesting PoV on black middle class portrayal in America or Coonery Buffoonery.

Guess which one im leaning towards

I cant see it work well on ABC

My thoughts exactly. I'll give it a shot but the trailer makes me think it be some sort of caricature of blackness for jokes which will lead too coonery buffoonery lol. Same deal with the asian show lol at the altercation with the one black kid in the MC's school.

Fresh off the boat does look like the better made show of the two so far.

Eddie Huang is an interesting guy. I need to finish the book but so far it is a really good look into a child's life as he is trying to find his identity while being pulled in different directions by two separate cultures. Eddie also fought to keep the name "Fresh Off the Boat" when ABC tried to change it.

Amazon's synopsis said:
Assimilating ain’t easy. Eddie Huang was raised by a wild family of FOB (“fresh off the boat”) immigrants—his father a cocksure restaurateur with a dark past back in Taiwan, his mother a fierce protector and constant threat. Young Eddie tried his hand at everything mainstream America threw his way, from white Jesus to macaroni and cheese, but finally found his home as leader of a rainbow coalition of lost boys up to no good: skate punks, dealers, hip-hop junkies, and sneaker freaks. This is the story of a Chinese-American kid in a could-be-anywhere cul-de-sac blazing his way through America’s deviant subcultures, trying to find himself, ten thousand miles from his legacy and anchored only by his conflicted love for his family and his passion for food. Funny, moving, and stylistically inventive, Fresh Off the Boat is more than a radical reimagining of the immigrant memoir—it’s the exhilarating story of every American outsider who finds his destiny in the margins.

He also works for Vice.

http://www.vice.com/fresh-off-the-boat

Gorillaz

moris/kaep Fresh could work, it looks the stronger of the 2 but it could go either way

My thoughts exactly. I'll give it a shot but the trailer makes me think it be some sort of caricature of blackness for jokes which will lead too coonery buffoonery lol. Same deal with the asian show lol at the altercation with the one black kid in the MC's school.
Its all a trailer but it feels dated. ABC saw them high ratings for scandal and thought Damon, why stop here.

If it was coonery buffoonery it would be prime time on BET/Centric/TVone.
One step at a time friend. The repeats will air a week later on BET and centric and TV one will get it a year later

Infinite

oh i didn't know FOB was from Eddie Huang. that makes me a little more interested in the show. i like his Vice series

Seems like Everybody Hates Chris but, you know, with an Asian family.

moris/kaep Fresh could work, it looks the stronger of the 2 but it could go either way

Its all a trailer but it feels dated. ABC saw them high ratings for scandal and thought Damon, why stop here.

One step at a time friend. The repeats will air a week later on BET and centric and TV one will get it a year later

They making that other Shonda Rhimes show with Viola Davis in it. I expect that to turn into desperate house wives by the middle of the second season

tRydDFA.gif

Trey

Never before have I seen anyone play basketball as ugly as the Pacers are managing. Such fuckery, my god. I get angry watching it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
these fucking armani frames

why won't you let me keep my money

but i need to look like sex

DY_nasty

Take a hot shower and drink some castor oil-Big Mama

fuck that. im just committed to tomorrow sucking now.

shitty mothers day aftermath, my assumed protege anakin'd, recovering from wisdom teeth removal x2 + stomach virus wombo combo, girl gets 100k job in iraq then tells me she loves me, wedding invites, cat, relocation, people trying to decipher my tattoos, scorched earth policy enacted. shit is dumb out here right now.

its not as bad as the stripper/single mom stuff - that was just big because its what pulled me out of the hole i was in. its still... well, it'll be either tragic/hilarious depending on how i feel like spinning it all later

The Unbearable Whiteness of Liberal Media

I thought this was a pretty interesting article, especially since what he's describing as a way to ameliorate the structural issues is - drumroll, please - affirmative action. He doesn't name it, but that's what he describes:

And it's interesting to hear that about Jamelle Bouie. I first started seeing him at Slate pretty recently and I quite like him.

Good read. Question though, is hiring and improving diversity to expand/improve an organization's viewpoint/reach always affirmative action or just a smart business move?

DY_nasty

I'm drunk and my teeth hurt.

gotta be up and ready for an cbrn inspection in 4 hours with division and civ dudes

have to take a radiation safety class and print certs before it all happens too

also need to spin up 2 sit ins that literally don't even know where to find the keys

and there is no reference or backup or speed dial

BUT ITS OKAY! because i'm doing a job of a SSG and I literally can't be wrong mjlol.gif

Top Bottom