• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

n64coder

Thanks for posting that, it was interesting. Didn't know that Malcolm Gladwell (New Yorker Writer) is black. The article referenced "Black Like them" (April 1996 New Yorker) where he examined the differences between American blacks and West Indians. I remember reading it on my Kindle and thought it was a good article. Will have to look for some of his books even though I tend to read magazines like the NY on my kindle because they're shorter.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Who knows what you would really say though? I guess it depends mostly on how you are dying. For example if your lungs are filling up with blood, you're not going to come out with some meaningful soliloquy.

I'd wager most famous last words as reported by history are heavily fabricated or at least exaggerated. In real life, when you're dying, I doubt you give a fuck whether you spit a cool one liner or not. I just hope by the time I die I accept myself and can be happy with the life I lived. Isn't that what everyone wants?

RedSwirl

Back on that reparations thing, I remember a comic frequently posted on twitter trying to illustrate the issue. Can't find it though. Something to do with a black dude helping a white dude lift himself up to a higher platform, then asking for help getting up there himself.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Are in at Anor Londo? That's probably my favorite part of the game, just because the art style and castles loo legit as fuck

Not yet. An NPC mentioned it and I'm pretty sure I've seen it during my travels.

I have the Basin, Valley of the Drakes, The Catacombs and...fucking Blighttown to conquer, atm. Handling the Basin first.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Back on that reparations thing, I remember a comic frequently posted on twitter trying to illustrate the issue. Can't find it though. Something to do with a black dude helping a white dude lift himself up to a higher platform, then asking for help getting up there himself.

IEFLgKi.png

The Souls series is amazing and worth it. Hell it took me 3 chances to get into dDark Souls.

And after watching that recent Boondocks episode its like watching a loved one wither away to nothing. That freedom riders episode was a fucking parody of a bad episode of the worst season of The Boondocks. I hope that they are putting the weak episodes out. I'm waiting for that stinkmeaner episode before I walk away.

Gorillaz

Not gonna lie, first time playing DS1 I basically played it for an hour and was like nahhhh. Came back a month later and was determined to see what it was all about. Loved it. It's not for everyone and Gaf at times has a hard time understanding that, but I would definitely give it a try for an hour or so.

I just love the fuckery of the community, people doing shit like this
iAUf0hXWe3G5Q.gif

Not gonna lie, first time playing DS1 I basically played it for an hour and was like nahhhh. Came back a month later and was determined to see what it was all about. Loved it. It's not for everyone and Gaf at times has a hard time understanding that, but I would definitely give it a try for an hour or so.

iAUf0hXWe3G5Q.gif

Totally agree.

The Souls series is amazing and worth it. Hell it took me 3 chances to get into dDark Souls.

And after watching that recent Boondocks episode its like watching a loved one wither away to nothing. That freedom riders episode was a fucking parody of a bad episode of the worst season of The Boondocks. I hope that they are putting the weak episodes out. I'm waiting for that stinkmeaner episode before I walk away.

Yeah, I know I've lost interest when I completely forgot for two weeks that episodes were on.

iAUf0hXWe3G5Q.gif
That's just fucked up

So PS4 on deck.

Infamous SS and BF4 2 titles I'm getting up front. I'll probably get watchdogs for the ps4 now and i'm patiently waiting on Destiny and The Order.

Anybody in the PS Now beta? If so how is it?

I got Demon Souls blind.

Didn't like it at all until a couple hours in. There's a lot to learn and it changes a little every iteration. It's definitely not for everyone, but it gets so many things right. Atmosphere, strong combat, boss fights, interesting take on online MP, interesting world without having a straightforward story.

If you're gonna try I'd go with Demon Souls first. The universe set up is more beginner friendly imo, you could be like WTF! if you start with either of the Dark games it's just too open at the beginning of the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm missing out on that fukkery since I'm not playing online (cause fuck Live). I'm playing *mostly* blind, atm. This is definitely one of the most difficult games that I've played. That said, a lot of my deaths have come from programming from other videogames that I've played this past gen (mainly). A lot of the difficulty from the level design and certain encounters can be mitigated by...taking some time to think. It's saying a lot that one of my most powerful items, at where I am currently, is some fucking binoculars.

Two out of the three options to explore, when you make it to the hub(dark souls), basically set the tone for the type of thought you should have when approaching it.

Yea, it's def not a series for everyone though. lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It actually isn't for everyone, I have a lot of friends not interested and I can sympathize. It's a very niche game in some respects but it's probably my favorite series of this last generation.

Silky

Banned
Finished up X-Force #5.
Kinda unimpressed at the new villain or whatever. How many times has Cable died so far? At this point I just stopped caring about Cable 'dying.'

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is it wrong that I want no part of the Demon/Dark Souls franchise?

Nah. Especially not the franchise.

I had a lot of fun with demons souls, but I don't need to play that same kind of game every two years. They don't have enough ideas for the game to keep it interesting through so many iterations

Top Bottom