• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Slayven

A company that was on kickstarter a bit over a year ago, just got sold to Facebook for $2bn. Broad public supported an idea/dream, the principals of that idea/dream then gave them small trinkets of consideration and used the funding to make themselves rich and to give equity to the already rich (making them richer).

Kind of funny to me.

That is the shady part. "Pledge" my ass. If I invested in something I wants my cut.

akira28

Trust your instincts. Facebook is bad news. I can't even play online flower collection games with my friends anymore without worrying about the NSA stealing all my data.

Slayven

I am not a gloom and doom on day one type of guy. I like the hopes to build and build than crash. The meltdowns are so much better when they had time to ripen.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I don't subscribe to Facebook being bad news purely because i use it the oldskool way. Posting status updates every so often to a core group of friends who's opinions i actually want to hear. And posting updates for work via a fanpage.

I don't play games on facebook. I don't watch vids on facebook. I ignore facebook ads.

etc etc

Also anyone thinking Farmville on OR is already thinking way too small.

harSon

Banned
I'm all in if Facebook buying OR brings us one step closer to:

Ready%20Player%20One%20Paperback%20Cover.jpg

I don't subscribe to Facebook being bad news purely because i use it the oldskool way. Posting status updates every so often to a core group of friends who's opinions i actually want to hear. And posting updates for work via a fanpage.

I don't play games on facebook. I don't watch vids on facebook. I ignore facebook ads.

etc etc

Also anyone thinking Farmville on OR is already thinking way too small.

You use it the way I do so you laugh at people trying to act like a tool is bad because they don't know how it works.

If Facebook pulls a strange days.....

I don't know man.

Edit: you really should watch Strange Days. So good. And my favorite band was headlining the soundtrack. Skunk Anansie.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I don't know Esco. This guy kind of bodied that post of hopes and dreams.

point by point breakdown

I saw it. A few good points. However:

Facebook already cheat the metrics to ensure that businesses spend money to advertise over their organic reach. If Facebook paid 2 billion for something, you can be damned sure that it will be front and center. Hell, Oculus Rift was trending on Facebook minutes after the news broke.

Secondly, a lower cost unit designed to be sold to the mass market is a win for Facebook, and ensures they at least stay relevant. With some of their other acquisitions (namely Whatsapp), they are moving to ensure that all of those eyeballs they currently have and control stay ENGAGED.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Facebook pulls a strange days.....

I don't know man.

Edit: you really should watch Strange Days. So good. And my favorite band was headlining the soundtrack. Skunk Anansie.

Saw her live once, she was crazy awesome.

I saw it. A few good points. However:

Facebook already cheat the metrics to ensure that businesses spend money to advertise over their organic reach. If Facebook paid 2 billion for something, you can be damned sure that it will be front and center. Hell, Oculus Rift was trending on Facebook minutes after the news broke.

Secondly, a lower cost unit designed to be sold to the mass market is a win for Facebook, and ensures they at least stay relevant. With some of their other acquisitions (namely Whatsapp), they are moving to ensure that all of those eyeballs they currently have and control stay ENGAGED.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, I don't see Facebook launching into a niche market with a piece of hardware with high processing/graphics demands. So all that 110 FOV, 4k screen, 120 fps dreams that a lot of OR fans got attached to isn't going to happen for a long time. I think that's why there's so much anger and spittle.

This is great news for VR. I'm not sure it is great news for people who expected OR to work some magic on the high-end PC scene (I never did, so I'm just sitting back and laughing at their anger).

Onemic

I don't disagree with any of that. However, I don't see Facebook launching into a niche market with a piece of hardware with high processing/graphics demands. So all that 110 FOV, 4k screen, 120 fps dreams that a lot of OR fans got attached to isn't going to happen for a long time. I think that's why there's so much anger and spittle.

This is great news for VR. I'm not sure it is great news for people who expected OR to work some magic on the high-end PC scene (I never did, so I'm just sitting back and laughing at their anger).

Sucks for the dudes that backed it via kickstarter, that's for sure.

Why? They got their Rifts.

People keep repeating this, but everyone knows that "funding" the project is a key component of Kickstarter. Most people aren't simply buying a product, their funding an idea and getting some consideration instead of equity.

From Kickstarter itself:
1. Kickstarter is a new way to fund creative projects.

We’re a home for everything from films, games, and music to art, design, and technology. Kickstarter is full of projects, big and small, that are brought to life through the direct support of people like you. Since our launch in 2009, 5.8 million people have pledged $1 billion, funding 58,000 creative projects. Thousands of creative projects are raising funds on Kickstarter right now.

Kickstarter is an investment, you just don't get any equity in return. Kickstarter is the best platform for mitigating the risk of principals and angel investors!

If Facebook is to meet its goals for the rift it'll have to inherently solve many of the obstacles that gaming applications will meet

If Facebook is to meet its goals for the rift it'll have to inherently solve many of the obstacles that gaming applications will meet

Only difference is how long it takes to release a consumer product that realizes that and at what costs. Facebook isn't going to throw out loss leader hardware.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Right, but that lower cost unit is not the high-end VR dream that Oculus supposedly was pushing for.

I couldn't give less of a shit whether the Oculus acquisition is a good idea for Facebook or not. I don't get dividends from that shit. My (admittedly already low) interest in Oculus was in how far they could push the tech. If that's no longer the goal, then who gives a shit?

teenagers arguing annoys me too no end.

Eh, it's nitpicking really. The type of drama is similar since WB=CW now. Some of the characters are high school aged but it's really not centered around it other than occasional locations. They're both cheesy manufactured drama, supernatural events, and entire casts of good looking people.

I threw it on on Netflix when I finished my usual shows and it's alright for second screen type of viewing while you're doing other things.

I can't help but laugh at FB hate, if you haven't figured out how to prune your shit (or at least unfollow the relatives you can't defriend) you're a dumbass full stop.

Slayven

I can't help but laugh at FB hate, if you haven't figured out how to prune your shit (or at least unfollow the relatives you can't defriend) you're a dumbass full stop.

My only hate is for people that fiend like a crackhead if they are not checking it ever five seconds.

Nakazato

I got to a point that even with deleting a ton of people. I still find drama homophobic slurs and Blatant Racism on my FB, Ive been thinking about making a new one.

But thats what made me hate it

I have no idea if Facebook buying OR is good or bad for FB's money making plan or the future of video games or anything else. I don't know what's gonna happen, if this changes OR's original roadmap, improves or scraps it and I'm confident that most people don't know either.

If Facebook gets me some cameras on front row seats in NBA games, I'll be beyond happy.

that sounds amazing

I got to a point that even with deleting a ton of people. I still find drama homophobic slurs and Blatant Racism on my FB, Ive been thinking about making a new one.

But thats what made me hate it

You should hate and defriend the idiots clogging up your FB with shit.

FyreWulff

I'm probably just gonna delete my FB (again) because it's just watching family members be derps.

I'm still trying to hold out on getting a LinkedIn. It seems people mostly just use those to stalk devs and then report on whatever tabloid site wants hits

I'm probably just gonna delete my FB (again) because it's just watching family members be derps.

I'm still trying to hold out on getting a LinkedIn. It seems people mostly just use those to stalk devs and then report on whatever tabloid site wants hits
Nah. Most people use it to see if they have better jobs than their classmates/ex-coworkers.

Top Bottom