• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
I love how stingy GAF gets when it comes to video games.

"Shovel Knight is $2.99 on a Steam sale? Wow what a pizza shit. It couldn't even realistically render on a SNES, maybe when it's free with an Olive Garden coupon I'll think about getting it."

"Wii U? More like no games! Once it's $5 completely new and comes with every game in the Wii library I'll get a refurb."

"Xbox One got a price drop to $150? Wow, and even after they screwed us over with DRM policies that never actually got enforced in the long run? I think I'm going to wait for a specially-themed Dragon Age 3 console before I even consider splurging. Microsoft's just been trying to steal my money since Windows 98 anyway."

Most people on GAF are broke man
like me :(

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
He's Vince McMahon, damn it!

biDFHU0.gif

Village

Stupid Frank miller.

Just saw your thread, you ain't shit.
\\

movie bob, just recently put it best

"How perplexing it is that WB regards Frank Millers batman and the Death of Superman as major works of fiction, rather than creaky relics of eras and trends that almost destroyed their medium "

60s Batman was the best Batman.
Nah breh,

i am a guy who appreciates the sillier side of batman, and actively dislikes 60's batman. inever had an major issue with a lot of more serious batman stuff, cuz read hoods the best. That said miller's stuff is still... bad.

I was listening to the Super Best friends podcast and woolie gets all hype at him telling a story in a sentence, saying thats how much of a good writer he is, when he the quote he pulls from Millar is just a quote from Ernest Hemingway

Frank Miller is cancer, and I always crack up at the number of people who think Mark Millar is Frank Miller.

I thought it was like a germ type of situation

Frank Miller is cancer, and I always crack up at the number of people who think Mark Millar is Frank Miller.

Mark Millar wishes he was Frank Miller.

Oh, and speaking of Vince McMahon, I got to see parts of the Scooby Doo/WWE crossover cartoon movie. Seeing animated McMahon and Cena was hilarious. Made me wonder if the plot was better or worse than the next Wrestlemania.

Btw, why is it always when these memes/pics are posted around Black Twitter and similar places, the picture quality is asscheeks?

I've never gotten this either. Maybe it's just my graphic design OCD kicking in, but I feel like a good 90% of the stuff I see come out of black twitter and the coli looks like it's been screencapped by a potato.

Or you get that roundabout post to twitter > screencap > take picture of phone > upload to internet compressed > take another picture > save as compressed jpeg > upload to imgur again > neogaf cycle.

Gorillaz

Fredo wasn't gonna do shit breh, he's like 120 wet, he would have got bodied. Also dude went off on something stupid shit, but I feel it was more of calling him out on all of his trolling in general and not just that thing.

Sticky, was high as fuck in that interview, lord how did he even get to the radio station

besada

Banned
I told J10 I'd drop in here and do a little science-fiction coverage from black authors and non-black authors who regularly have black main characters, so here it is.

Let's lead off with a catch all site: http://blacksciencefictionsociety.com/
The title is pretty self-explanatory. The website is ugly as sin, but they cover new and old fiction by black authors in most of the speculative genres.

Science-Fiction (Black Authors):

Octavia Butler:

The Queen of Black Science Fiction, Octavia Butler not only is well-regarded in the science fiction world, but also in the literary world for books like Kindred, a time travel story where a modern black woman is transported to 19th Century Maryland, where she meets her ancestors -- a white slave owner and his slave.

But she also writes straight up, badass, science fiction, including the Patternist series (a secret history that ranges from Ancient Egypt to the far future, involves telepathy, aliens, etc.) , the Parable duology (about a girl with hyperempathy and the collapse of American civilization), and Lilith's Brood (about humanity being saved by aliens after a nuclear war).

Butler is a take no prisoners writer. She doesn't blanche from tackling racial and social issues head on in her writing.

Samuel Delany:

One of the greatest writers in the genre, full stop. Samuel Delany is a gay black man whose work dominates science fiction. He's been inducted to the Science fiction Hall of Fame. He's been awarded four Nebulas and two Hugo awards, putting him in a very small class with people like Arthur C. Clarke. And his writing buries most of the rest of those guys.

The Einstein Intersection: The surface story tells of the problems a member of an alien race, Lo Lobey, has assimilating the mythology of earth, where his kind have settled among the leftover artifacts of humanity. It digs deeper, though, with discussions of what it's like to deal with a majority culture to which you don't entirely belong.

Dhalgren: One of the great science fiction novels, it's primary plot is about a city cut off from the rest of reality, with a protagonist who has lost his memory. One of the most complex science fiction novels written, sometimes mentioned in the same breath with classics like Finnegan's Wake by Joyce. People have been teasing new meaning out of this book for decades now.

Return to Nevèrÿon (series): These stories take place before history, and feature an nearly all black or brown set of protagonists, as the white barbarians to the south aren't ready for any sort for civilization yet. Essentially sword and sorcery books, these go well with other black fantasy, like Sword and Soul (which we'll get to in the next post).

Steven Barnes:

Steven Barnes is one of my favorite black science fiction writers, although he deals with less "black themes" than some of the others on this list. He's a hard science-fiction writer who has a history of working with Larry Niven (who is one of my absolutely favorites...Ringworld!)

The Dream Park Series (with Larry Niven): Before there was matrix, there was the Dream Park, where anything could happen, including terrible malfunctions that killed the people playing in the Dream Park. Niven and Barnes create four wonderful romps through this world, including Dream Park, The Barsoom Project, The California Voodoo Game, and The Moon Maze Game.

The Heorot Series (with Niven and Pournelle): Straight up interplanetary fiction. colonists settle on a world only to discover it contains an alien species they name "grendels." A great duology, full of action, cool interplanetary science, and giant monsters that need some killing.

The Insh'Allah series: A duology about a world where the Islamic Africa is the center of the technological world, while Europe remains a backward, parochial place. If you want to see Arab warriors battling Aztecs, while Europe is still a bunch of tribes taken as slaves by the dominant African culture, this is for you.

Barnes has about thirty novels out there, most of which are worth reading. He's recently been writing with his wife, Tananarive Due, who will be discussed in the fantasy portion.

Walter Mosley

You may know Walter Mosley from his novel Devil in the Blue Dress, which was made into a movie starring Denzel. Well, he also writes science fiction, and it's very, very good stuff. I stumbled on his stuff in the library one day and went out and bought most of it.

Blue Light: A blue light hovers over North Carolina and everyone it touches either dies, goes mad, or gains a new power. Cool and freaky.

Futureland: A collection of science fiction short stories by Mosley, it's full of interesting ideas and fascinating characters.

I love Mosley's writing and characters, and while his science is sometimes a little soft, it never bothered me in the slightest.

----
Okay, if people are interested, I'll do black fantasy writers next, then some non-black writers who have series that are of special interest tou readers into multiculturalism and black protagonists.

Slayven

A god has died, and it’s up to Tara, first-year associate in the international necromantic firm of Kelethres, Albrecht, and Ao, to bring Him back to life before His city falls apart.

Her client is Kos, recently deceased fire god of the city of Alt Coulumb. Without Him, the metropolis’s steam generators will shut down, its trains will cease running, and its four million citizens will riot.

Resurrecting Gods with natural hair? You know she woke up looking that good.

No one wishes they were Frank Miller nowadays, even Frank Miller doesn't want to be Frank Miller. At this point in both of their careers, I'd much rather read a Millar book than a Miller book.

Oh, sure, I'd rather read a /current/ Mark Millar book over a current Frank Miller book (if I absolutely had to, and I'll be damned if I will). But when looking at their total bodies of work, Miller shits on Millar.

Bryne is bitter incarnate.

Oh, sure, I'd rather read a /current/ Mark Millar book over a current Frank Miller book (if I absolutely had to, and I'll be damned if I will). But when looking at their total bodies of work, Miller shits on Millar.

Oh you get no argument on bodies of work; but Miller is but a shell of his former self nowadays. I'm hesitant on anything that has the words "Frank Miller" on it nowadays.

Dude needs a hug.

Thank you for that black science fiction writer link and summary, Besada. I'd just like to add that Steven Barnes wrote the Aubry Knight series (Street Lethal, Gorgon Child, and Firedance). Street Lethal was one of the first sci-fi stories I'd ever read with a black male lead. It is a great series and the fighting scenes are awesome (the author has been studying martial arts for a long time). There is also (for its time) a very pro LGBTQ angle to the series, with an enclave of gay male badasses, amongst others.

I told J10 I'd drop in here and do a little science-fiction coverage from black authors and non-black authors who regularly have black main characters, so here it is.

The title is pretty self-explanatory. The website is ugly as sin, but they cover new and old fiction by black authors in most of the speculative genres.

Octavia Butler:

The Queen of Black Science Fiction, Octavia Butler not only is well-regarded in the science fiction world, but also in the literary world for books like Kindred, a time travel story where a modern black woman is transported to 19th Century Maryland, where she meets her ancestors -- a white slave owner and his slave.

But she also writes straight up, badass, science fiction, including the Patternist series (a secret history that ranges from Ancient Egypt to the far future, involves telepathy, aliens, etc.) , the Parable duology (about a girl with hyperempathy and the collapse of American civilization), and Lilith's Brood (about humanity being saved by aliens after a nuclear war).

Butler is a take no prisoners writer. She doesn't blanche from tackling racial and social issues head on in her writing.

Samuel Delany:

One of the greatest writers in the genre, full stop. Samuel Delany is a gay black man whose work dominates science fiction. He's been inducted to the Science fiction Hall of Fame. He's been awarded four Nebulas and two Hugo awards, putting him in a very small class with people like Arthur C. Clarke. And his writing buries most of the rest of those guys.

The Einstein Intersection: The surface story tells of the problems a member of an alien race, Lo Lobey, has assimilating the mythology of earth, where his kind have settled among the leftover artifacts of humanity. It digs deeper, though, with discussions of what it's like to deal with a majority culture to which you don't entirely belong.

Dhalgren: One of the great science fiction novels, it's primary plot is about a city cut off from the rest of reality, with a protagonist who has lost his memory. One of the most complex science fiction novels written, sometimes mentioned in the same breath with classics like Finnegan's Wake by Joyce. People have been teasing new meaning out of this book for decades now.

Return to Nevèrÿon (series): These stories take place before history, and feature an nearly all black or brown set of protagonists, as the white barbarians to the south aren't ready for any sort for civilization yet. Essentially sword and sorcery books, these go well with other black fantasy, like Sword and Soul (which we'll get to in the next post).

Steven Barnes:

Steven Barnes is one of my favorite black science fiction writers, although he deals with less "black themes" than some of the others on this list. He's a hard science-fiction writer who has a history of working with Larry Niven (who is one of my absolutely favorites...Ringworld!)

The Dream Park Series (with Larry Niven): Before there was matrix, there was the Dream Park, where anything could happen, including terrible malfunctions that killed the people playing in the Dream Park. Niven and Barnes create four wonderful romps through this world, including Dream Park, The Barsoom Project, The California Voodoo Game, and The Moon Maze Game.

The Heorot Series (with Niven and Pournelle): Straight up interplanetary fiction. colonists settle on a world only to discover it contains an alien species they name "grendels." A great duology, full of action, cool interplanetary science, and giant monsters that need some killing.

The Insh'Allah series: A duology about a world where the Islamic Africa is the center of the technological world, while Europe remains a backward, parochial place. If you want to see Arab warriors battling Aztecs, while Europe is still a bunch of tribes taken as slaves by the dominant African culture, this is for you.

Barnes has about thirty novels out there, most of which are worth reading. He's recently been writing with his wife, Tananarive Due, who will be discussed in the fantasy portion.

Walter Mosley

You may know Walter Mosley from his novel Devil in the Blue Dress, which was made into a movie starring Denzel. Well, he also writes science fiction, and it's very, very good stuff. I stumbled on his stuff in the library one day and went out and bought most of it.

Blue Light: A blue light hovers over North Carolina and everyone it touches either dies, goes mad, or gains a new power. Cool and freaky.

Futureland: A collection of science fiction short stories by Mosley, it's full of interesting ideas and fascinating characters.

I love Mosley's writing and characters, and while his science is sometimes a little soft, it never bothered me in the slightest.

----
Okay, if people are interested, I'll do black fantasy writers next, then some non-black writers who have series that are of special interest tou readers into multiculturalism and black protagonists.

Nice bookmarked the site so I can check it out later

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/m...ck=promo&src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_78014028

Why I don't buy into the idea that we cannot raise the minimum wage.

As it turns out, the Market Basket formula does work. In a recent study of Massachusetts grocery store chains, the nonprofit Washington DC-based Center for the Study of Services found “DeMoulas Market Basket’s prices averaged about 22 percent lower than the average prices at the Shaw’s stores [they] checked and 10 to 21 percent lower than the prices at the Stop & Shop stores.” Despite paying starting full-timers $12 an hour and having many career employees on the payroll who make six figures, the survey found that Market Basket had, on average, lower prices than all of their competitors — including Walmart.

Despite such presumably tight profit margins, Market Basket pays its roughly 19,000 workers yearly bonuses that often equal up to several months worth of salary, plus invests the equivalent of 15 percent of every paycheck into a retirement plan. At the same time, the company is impressively profitable. Shareholders have pocketed in excess of $1 billion since 2000, while the business is currently the 127th biggest privately owned American company according to Forbes. In 2013, Market Basket reportedly rang in $4.6 billion in revenue.

At some point, won't people just lash out? Won't they fight back? We have enough resources. Hell, you probably don't have to move your manufacturing to Asia. Unless you want a few more billion.

besada is a well-known racist.

Don't listen to his lies.
He does have that white face avatar.

besada

Banned
besada is a well-known racist.

Don't listen to his lies.
This true, but it's whitey I hate. See, I'm the worst sort of racist. Since non-whites can't be racist, I'm carrying all the anti-white racist power by myself.

It's a hard burden, but I won't let the ofay keep me down.

Slayven

White people get the lame insults. Ofay? please. Cracker, once you break it down it still puts someone in a position of power over a black person by cracking a whip.

J10

Banned
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/m...ck=promo&src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_78014028

Why I don't buy into the idea that we cannot raise the minimum wage.

At some point, won't people just lash out? Won't they fight back? We have enough resources. Hell, you probably don't have to move your manufacturing to Asia. Unless you want a few more billion.

He does have that white face avatar.

At some point, the middle class is probably going to stop pointing all their guns at each other and start pointing them at the wealthy and they're gonna just go take what they're owed. But we're not anywhere near there yet. Still too complacent.

Imm0rt4l

Octavia Butler:

Samuel Delany:

Steven Barnes:

Walter Mosley

----
Thanks for posting. I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Just finished reading Guns Germs and Steel by Jared diamond and Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto. Probably going to read some Murakami, but I'd like to read some black authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom