• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take it that far, minority representation in media is just a microcosm of the general racial issues in the US.

That's always been the case.

As for British TV is has it's own problems, granted I still think they're ahead of the US (not hard to imagine). Black men struggle to get roles; but on the flip side in an interview with Idris, many of the writers write their protagonist without much care for their ethnicity; before Idris Luther was suppose to be white then Neil Cross saw Idris Elba's acting and was determined that Idris be John Luther. I know on the show Utopia, Nathan Jarrett's character was suppose to be white and they simply made him the character and didn't change anything about said character to reflect the fact he's black.

On one hand I think that's better than our current status quo in the US where writers make sure to let viewers know "hey this is a black character! You can tell by how he stereotypical we made him!" and can reflect the fact that black people come from all walks of life and not just the assumptions that the media at large believe (we're all poor, ghetto, speak ebonics, etc); that we too can have the same upbringing as any other group of people.

My problem with black representation in video games is that we're always gang members, angry gun trottin thugs or basketball player. And in that sense I call bullshit on someone's inability to write a better black character because "that's all they know". You don't need to be black or even have interactions with black people to write a character who doesn't fall into such ridiculous 'archetypes'.

I'm willing to be the person who wrote Adwele wasn't black and probably didn't know many if any black people; yet he was able to craft a good character. Same with the person who wrote Aveline's character. And I also refuse to entertain any argument that these guys are simply some outlier/rare writers or any such shenanigans.

I don't know much about Native Americans, but I can sure as hell bet you that if you give me an encyclopedia/Wikipedia I can write a character that isn't some stereotypical Native American caricature who wears a headdress (despite not being the leader of a tribe) and drinks booze while talking to spirits. Again ignorance isn't an excuse in my opinion especially when something can be researched; point in case Connor from AC3. Ubisoft went and researched about local American tribes despite being a French team and not having any Native American writers/developers on staff.

TLDR - I think the argue of people simply writing what they know is a major cop out. That absolutely flies in the face of all the information we have available at our fingertips; you can basically know anything you want to because of the internet. All we're seeing is laziness.

No shortage of white characters when Japan was producing the bulk of the biggest game. A lot of games take place in completely fanciful places, don't need a bachelors in African-American studies to plop a well-rounded character with black features in that sort of game.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Both Juri and Crimson Viper are SNK characters in a Capcom game really.

The designer even admitted that C.Viper was heavily SNK inspired.

Which only reinforces the known fact that SNK characters designs > Capcom characters designs.

maybe, but theres no k9999 characters on the capcom side, and they stopped ingrid from becoming a thing, so theres that....but they desperately need more villains that arent cookie cutter designs. snk has that on lock

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No shortage of white characters when Japan was producing the bulk of the biggest game. A lot of games take place in completely fanciful places, don't need a bachelors in African-American studies to plop a well-rounded character with black features in that sort of game.

there's black then there's #measleyblack

maybe, but theres no k9999 characters on the capcom side, and they stopped ingrid from becoming a thing, so theres that....but they desperately need more villains that arent cookie cutter designs. snk has that on lock

Cookie Cutter is Capcom's shtick.

The stuff 4chan found/saying that she did/does is just crazy

I found her shit by simply highlighting a youtube comment and searching. I wish I hadn't though.

Nice body if that counts for anything.

Kreed

TLDR - I think the argue of people simply writing what they know is a major cop out. That absolutely flies in the face of all the information we have available at our fingertips; you can basically know anything you want to because of the internet. All we're seeing is laziness.

Plus when we're talking about games like Mario Kart and Zelda, how much do you need to know about black culture anyway? I'm 102% sure Miyamoto has met more black people than giant monster turtles and mushrooms, with a 2% margin of error.

You write about who destroyed you and help entrench your sense of beauty (pale skin)

caesar

Banned
Ivory Coast vs Japan in 30 mins guise

Yaya_Tour%C3%A9.JPG

watch out for yaya

Infinite

We're talking character design, not gameplay. Juri definitely isn't far out/eccentric enough to be an Arksys design. Juri is so KoF; if you told me her purple flames were because of her Orochi blood, I wouldn't be shocked.

Design wise she has much more in common with Jolyne from Jojo's than any KoF character I seen.

Gameplay wise she's pretty much "street fighter!" with some visual spice. The character just stands mid screen throwing fireballs and counter poking the shit out of you.

Design wise she has much more in common with Jolyne from Jojo's than any KoF character I seen.

Gameplay wise she's pretty much "street fighter!" with some visual spice. The character just stands mid screen throwing fireballs and counter poking the shit out of you.

Only thing she has in common with Jolyne is the hair bun and by that argument I can say she has more in common with Kim Kaphwan because they both do Taekwondo and wear a dobok. Or that she has more in common with Riot of the Blood Leona for obvious visual reasons.

Your second statement can apply to quite a number of KoF characters.

Infinite

Only thing she has in common with Jolyne is the hair bun and by that argument I can say she has more in common with Kim Kaphwan because they both do Taekwondo and wear a dobok. Or that she has more in common with Riot of the Blood Leona for obvious visual reasons.

Your second statement can apply to quite a number of KoF characters.

I give you that but the second statement applies to most fighting game characters period. It's just that to me KoF characters are known for applying hop pressure and generally rushing that shit down. Juris gameplay has more in common with Guile or MBison than it does with a Kyo or Iori. But yeah visually she's supposed to be a bad guy, she's Korean, and her fighting style is taekwondo so yeah some similarities with Kim comes with the territory.

DY_nasty

Someone recommend me some 80s/90s movies worth watching tomorrow. Got another 24 hour shift coming up tomorrow morning. Good action/ buddy cop/ horror would be appreciated

(planning to watch Season 1 of Heroes and most of The 100 too)
Only Brody I know is the douche protagonist of Far Cry 3 aka Great White Savor.

Far Cry 3 is still to this day the only game I've ever picked up preordered and returned in the same day. Put 13 hours in and took it back after making up every possible excuse I could for that crap.

akira28

I simply CANT at people going around smelling like aged booty grease and wondering why they're single.

He's supposedly the one with the wife and the girlfriend. By the numbers it would seem LonelyGAF are included among everyone else reacting with horror.

Someone recommend me some 80s/90s movies worth watching tomorrow. Got another 24 hour shift coming up tomorrow morning. Good action/ buddy cop/ horror would be appreciated
Macross Plus is always worth another viewing.
Perfect Blue
Jin-Roh
Spriggan
Battle Angel Alita
X
Patlabor 2
Armitage 3
Far Cry 3 is still to this day the only game I've ever picked up preordered and returned in the same day. Put 13 hours in and took it back after making up every possible excuse I could for that crap.

I had to actively block out the entire story of FC3.

I simply CANT at people going around smelling like aged booty grease and wondering why they're single.

For real, the fact they can't take 15 minutes out of their nonexistent lives to shower is just ridiculous.

DY_nasty

Macross Plus is always worth another viewing.
Perfect Blue
Jin-Roh
Spriggan
Battle Angel Alita
X
Patlabor 2
Armitage 3

I had to actively block out the entire story of FC3.

For real, the fact they can't take 15 minutes out of their nonexistent lives to shower is just ridiculous.
I'll dig those up right now. I've had both sitting on my watch list forever. I've heard good things about Patlabor. Need to get around to that.

Seen everything else on that list except X, Armitage, and Spriggan.

I might be the only man alive who didn't like Macross Plus but loved the rest of the series.

Slayven

I'll dig those up right now. I've had both sitting on my watch list forever. I've heard good things about Patlabor. Need to get around to that.

Seen everything else on that list except X, Armitage, and Spriggan.

I might be the only man alive who didn't like Macross Plus but loved the rest of the series.

Spriggan had me like:

rocky.jpg

Battle Angel Alita was jam. Enjoyed Patlabor and Macross as well.

But got a special place for old shit like Angel Cop, Iria Zeiram, and Gunsmith Cats.

Jet Brody was the protag to Fracture. Basically if Kwame was in the future and fought in a futuristic civil war. And there was no Linka or Matee or Wheeler to help him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom