• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why most games should adapt the create a character model. Solves a ton of problems. Customization don't need to be complex.

Eh, tends to lead to limiting character backstory. Not that many games do that, but Shadows of the Damned wouldn't be as good as it was if Garcia Hotspur was a create-a-character.

As someone said in the original thread, I really can't shit on AC for their lack of diversity because they cover ethnicity that don't get covered that often. How many games can you think of with an Arabic or Persian lead? Not a ton.

This is rather stupid.

"I can't complain because one game had a persian lead."

Don't demand anything of anyone if you're satisfied with crumbs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is rather stupid.

"I can't complain because one game had a persian lead."

Don't demand anything of anyone if you're satisfied with crumbs.

How is that crumbs? It's a major step over most other publishers. Your letter campaigns are better sent elsewhere than Ubisoft. Especially considering the lead of the main character in the Vita title. It gives Ubisoft leeway that they're not doing the Unity thing because of pure ignorance. That it gives them that benefit of the doubt that it could just be something they didn't think would fit. Unlike Activision who has been quoted saying about the lack of marketability for female leads.

Gorillaz

^character creation feels like a cop out and for the most part feels like it lowers the experience at times

At this wedding with fam, 5 year old had his hand in his suit jacket like he seen some shit and giving out dehumanizing stares to the these 3 chicks on the dance floor. I might have footage ill try to post it when I get home

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
"Finished" Dark Souls. Easily one of the best games I've played. Top 5 of the 360 era. That said, it does have some lows, that mainly occur after Biggie & Smalls. The demon ruins and Lost Izaleth fucking suck. It's like 30 mini bosses dropped at random on the map and umpteen dragon statues. Such a boring ass area. I know about the dev issues, but still. Nah. The DLC makes up for it though. Artorias DLC is GOAT status. wheww. Every boss is amazing.

Gonna go through New Game plus at a later date. Might even do a no shield run and speed run it.

edit: Create a character is a cop-out unless the narrative is built for it.

How is that crumbs? It's a major step over most other publishers. Your letter campaigns are better sent elsewhere than Ubisoft. Especially considering the lead of the main character in the Vita title. It gives Ubisoft leeway that they're not doing the Unity thing because of pure ignorance. That it gives them that benefit of the doubt that it could just be something they didn't think would fit. Unlike Activision who has been quoted saying about the lack of marketability for female leads.

No one should be spared criticism for where they can perform better. You wanna fly the banner for a company just because they put one character out there different from the mold, fine. I'm of the opinion doing one thing right doesn't absolve fuck ups. You can recognize them for their achievements over there and still say "what the fuck is this tho."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
^character creation feels like a cop out and for the most part feels like it lowers the experience at times

At this wedding with fam, 5 year old had his hand in his suit jacket like he seen some shit and giving out dehumanizing stares to the these 3 chicks on the dance floor. I might have footage ill try to post it when I get home

its shitty in shitty games

da:eek: did a great job with this

Kreed

You never heard of Music producers?

Black music producers may as well be rappers too.

Why most games should adapt the create a character model. Solves a ton of problems. Customization don't need to be complex.

Sometimes this is ok, when the main character is just a way for the user to move the story along and there's no real depth to the main character. But even then, it's annoying when you make your main character black (or as close to black as you can get depending on the game) and then everyone else around you is white/asian (ex: When you make a black character and your entire family is white).

When it comes to more minority characters in videogames, I hope we see that. Create a character is cool and all, but I want more minority characters who were created for the story/game as a focal point.

And everytime someone says "they can't relate" to minority lead characters I just wanna punch them.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBdB8nPk44

Happy Saturday, monicas. Blast from the past. I'm sure that lil nigga won't fuck with no one again. It's all on tape. Every situation, going forward, he'll pause for at least 5 contemplative seconds with that 1000 yard stare. He can use this as a learning point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JgX_Z76uLM

And to music.

Every other day for me.

around 3 times a week.

I wash head to toe every day. Without fail. No excuses.

I do a lite cowash every day, just to keep some moisture on my strands.*

Every two weeks or so I'll do a thorough washing with a light sulfate shampoo, to clear out any product buildup.

*Sorry, I've been kinda big on this natural hair movement thing.

I shampoo every other day

Ok, maybe that's where I'm fucking up. But when it's short, it seems pointless. Maybe when it gets longer, I need to go for more times. I run my head under the water but damn, I swore more shampooing was supposed to give you more problems. I'll try it. I just got my cut today and it looked like a white christmas before my eyes. Like, when you upload pics to google plus and they add effects to it.

cyborg009

Banned
Finally caught up on my the newest Boondocks season and its just disappointing. Did they run out of ideas and decide to parody everything?

Pity that [Mineshaft's] thread on Gaming Side ended up overrun and closed. It's like, it started off well, then more and more guys decided to interject their opinions and arguments... Then the thread went straight to shit. Pity; I enjoyed reading it.

Silky

Banned
Unless the narrative does a clever thing regarding the stuff you do with your character's appearance, character creation usually is a cop-out.

That isn't to say I don't appreciate it. Sometimes I beg for character creation in games like DA:O, The Elder Scrolls, etc.

And yeah, DA:O was the shit. One of Bioware's strongest RPGs. Shame that DA2 was trash and I'm not exactly feeling Inquisition.

Personally I have a multitude of ideas to fix problems like this but I'm a nobody.

lol you sound like me after another ft hood shooting

6a0105369e6edf970b017c364d9df2970b-800wi

:p

Eh.

It's not even a matter of complication, it's a matter of people being so entrenched in doing shit one way and being lazy.

edit: btw Slay I found some white plastic aviators at the place I volunteer at.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with character creation is that it's both limiting to the types of character's you can portray (blank slates) and it sort of doubles your work load. You now have to voice every line for at least both sexes and adapt every scenario to make sense for both. Only gets more complex logistically if you try to also support sexuality and gender options.

And as a personal preference I don't like character creators. I could never make a Dante or a bayonetta but I have a lot of fun playing as them. I'd hate lose that level of personality in video game player characters

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You realize "cast" also includes the protagonist right?

Fuck is with this thread today.

......ok

I still don't understand your solution. Your solution to the lack or diversity in playable characters in videogames is...to have more diversity?

No kidding

I think he agrees with your solution; he's just saying that's pretty broad and the end goal as opposed to the means. E.g., you wouldn't say that the easiest way to get women involved in video games is to get women involved in video games. You may say things like "vote with your wallet" or "start a program that highlights alienating behavior in video games."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You don't understand it.

Yet you just pointed out you do with a sarcastic quip.

Okay.

My confusion came from assuming your solution to a problem was more than "don't have that problem"

I mean I think there's an interesting conversation here and I think you'd be a good person to have it with. You just seem a bit too caught up with talking to and about people like they're dumber than you to really have it right now

There are solutions and there are ways to get to them. I'm not getting deep into the means, point was the obvious solution is still some controversial point of discussion when it shouldn't be.

Kreed

......ok

I still don't understand your solution. Your solution to the lack or diversity in playable characters in videogames is...to have more diversity?

No kidding

The solution is simple but no one in the gaming industry wants to do it because they don't see a benefit in having a diverse cast outside of silencing people calling for diversity (hence the "idiots" part). Because to them, a single black character, female, or white characters with different hair colors or a southern accent is enough diversity. So that makes this"no kidding" solution difficult, despite it being the easiest solution.

Also we're in the topic talking about create a character/etc... and other ways to have a diverse cast besides the obvious of the creators making their cast diverse in the first place.

Speaking of steps backwards... Losing the character creator in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire would be disappointing.

I'm already tired of looking at Brendan and May
and the trumpets, but that's another story

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Speaking of steps backwards... Losing the character creator in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire would be disappointing.

I'm already tired of looking at Brendan and May
and the trumpets, but that's another story

im not feeling those shorts dude is rocking. but what i want is a damn darker shade

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
VG industry suffers from the same problems found in the industry that it's trying to mimic (film), except there doesn't seem to be nearly as many individuals trying to correct it...or at least, acknowledge the issues at hand.

How come Link can't be a girl? What would happen if there were a black Link?

lol.

People blow my mind when it comes to the Zelda series. Reincarnation doesn't mean you transform into the same individual (or any for that matter).

Kreed

How come Link can't be a girl? What would happen if there were a black Link?

Imagine the backlash of Wind Waker back in the Gamecube days combined with the backlash of GTA:SA. Then throw in social media, news coverage over Nintendo adding diversity to their games...we're not ready for this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom