• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Magus

I could get by in Auckland, New Zealand, Toronto, or maybe Sidney, Australia. Avoiding the perception of criminal behavior keeps me out of legal trouble. Everyone that's not a part of my church thinks I'm chill. Church goers think I'm going to either punch them in the face, spazz on them, or fear me because they get the feeling I'm the right guy to pick on for the wrong reasons.

You are right that there's no safe place but all I want is freedom to live without everyone fearing me or trying to antagonize me.

Extremely serious/stupid question: Has there been any notable instances of racism/prejudice against Blacks recently in Canada?

I guess me and that boy Furyous about to go to New Zealand brehs

Hopefully church goers there don't hate him doe

Take me with you.

andthebeatgoeson

He's exactly right.

I voted this year, even though my own fucking state participated in a voter fraud checklist that disproportionately affects people of color, even though they backed out at the last minute. Other niggas voted even with their perspective states participating in shit like this, in addition to bullshit voting laws.

You know what we got in return? A bunch more mothafuckas who hate us, along with a couple of Uncle Tom's who hate themselves.

Fuck the voting system. Fuck every system this country has in place. Fuck it all.
yeah, but of we showed up like every election was 2008, we would make some in roads.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/us/politics/21vote.html

We can't keep waiting for a once in a life time candidate to vote. It's our only legitimate chance. Yeah, it sucks that the last election will set us back and we can't do it ourselves but I'm encouraged that these shootings are getting better coverage. Someone is out there paying attention.

-----
FLORIDA CLASSIC 2014 - FAMU Halftime Show: http://youtu.be/xP312zH8DfY

That's my marching band. Around 3:00, they do the Kermit sips tea.

yeah, but of we showed up like every election was 2008, we would make some in roads.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/us/politics/21vote.html

We can't keep waiting for a once in a life time candidate to vote. It's our only legitimate chance. Yeah, it sucks that the last election will set us back and we can't do it ourselves but I'm encouraged that these shootings are getting better coverage. Someone is out there paying attention.

-----
FLORIDA CLASSIC 2014 - FAMU Halftime Show: http://youtu.be/xP312zH8DfY

That's my marching band. Around 3:00, they do the Kermit sips tea.

Thing is, if your only voting options are shit, crap and dogshit, voting feels like it makes no difference, which leads to voter apathy. People not voting is not the problem, people feeling like their votes don't matter is the problem and it is an entirely justified view.

Kreed

The people of ferguson weren't in their elected officials faces this year? Everyone can't be expected to be active politically and they shouldn't NEED to be just to be treated like humans. Just like everyone can't be expected to not show emotion when being wronged. There's no one solution to all this and I just hate the condescending attitude displayed towards people's frustrations reaching that fuck it point.

I may not agree with fuck voting but I damn sure don't agree with "just remain calm and vote your problems away" that many people seem to think works in this country.

These issues are bigger than voting, but voting is an issue that you can't say "fuck it" to, especially when talking about Ferguson:

Ferguson, Mo. is the latest fault line in America’s racial divide, but blacks and whites there have at least one thing in common: Neither group tends to participate in municipal elections.

The fact that the white community’s anemic turnout (just 17% of those eligible participated in Ferguson’s 2013 municipal election) regularly eclipses the even lower participation of black voters (6% in 2013) helps explain the curious disconnect between the demography of Ferguson — which is nearly 70% black — and that of its City Council and police force, which have remained overwhelmingly white.

http://archive.freep.com/article/20140821/COL04/308210047/Ferguson

I mean look at this. You've got more white people voting in a town that is 70% black, which wasn't always the case:

Ferguson’s demographics have shifted rapidly: in 1990, it was 74 percent white and 25 percent black; in 2000, 52 percent black and 45 percent white; by 2010, 67 percent black and 29 percent white.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/opinion/in-ferguson-black-town-white-power.html

This situation is a combination of a period of population change, social issues between ethnic groups, and the new majority failing to participate in the local government. Voting wouldn't have solved all these problems, especially the social climate, but it definitely would have helped at the very least make sure laws were in place to protect the majority of citizens vs the minority.

I still say we colonize the moon, tbh.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html

Or we could stop living in the heavily white & conservative areas.

How is Constantine not getting a full season order while Gotham is? Maddening.

i've been avoiding the show and waited til it got to ep 10 to bother watching and wtf

why even show Ivy that young makes even less sense then having Catwoman there. What is next season going to be Mr Freeze working in a Ice Cream shop like some stupid Once Upon a Time season arc?

Why are you surprised by tv when shit like Arrow gets churned out, yet Young Justice got cancelled for not selling enough toys to girls.

i've been avoiding the show and waited til it got to ep 10 to bother watching and wtf

why even show Ivy that young makes even less sense then having Catwoman there. What is next season going to be Mr Freeze working in a Ice Cream shop like some stupid Once Upon a Time season arc?

Yo I like Arrow but Young Justice getting cancelled is never going to not hurt. Same as Spectacular Spider-Man.

Gotham has no concept of subtlety. Everyone involved should be embarrassed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eh... I mean that genre kind of exists in everything

" OH no vampire boy and werewolfman don't fight over my generic love please oh no , Oh goodness no "

I just struggle to think of a good reason why there needs to be more than a couple. Make whatever, but when it turns into a genre, it's like well uh, I guess people are really into this idea. I dunno. I have a disdain of a lot of animu.

I'm not even gonna attempt to post in that thread today. Can't deal with the inevitable fuckery.

FTFY. Seriously, you'd think this kind of shit would be getting more undercover but nope, even though everyone has a video camera with them 90% of the time, the police still take part in (and get away with) fuckery.

Onemic

man shit, if I'm in that situation I'm going Fresh Prince in there and getting out the damn car with my hands on the car. Its been shown over these last few months that doing anything that a cop can interpret as giving them a harder time to do their bullshit can only end up with something bad happening to you as a black person.

FTFY. Seriously, you'd think this kind of shit would be getting more undercover but nope, even though everyone has a video camera with them 90% of the time, the police still take part in (and get away with) fuckery.

cops have gotten away with murder on video plenty of times. This is but a drop in the bucket.

Village

B3QfV7lCIAAB3tM.jpg

Squid struggle

I just struggle to think of a good reason why there needs to be more than a couple. Make whatever, but when it turns into a genre, it's like well uh, I guess people are really into this idea. I dunno. I have a disdain of a lot of animu.

Some people find the genre entertaining, Some people also get off on it. These characters are often very bland generic protagonists for that reason

A good video on the harem trope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom