• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

I mean i'm fine with people punching Nazis, but the people who do have to admit that it isn't doing any good and is purely selfish. There is no good outcome to punching Nazis, it might feel good but it doesn't make the problem go away and only encourages more violence in retaliation. The only way racism can be solved is through empathy and exposure, not punches.

Let's do a quick exercise to determine the possible outcomes. Imagine a Nazi punches YOU in the face while you are just standing around doing nothing. What do you do?

A. Change your beliefs and/or become a Nazi

B. Get angry and start punching back

C. Continue to hold on to your beliefs, never changing the way you treat people, continue to spread your opinions online and offline, continue to vote for the people you were always going to vote for, just being slightly more ambiguous about it.

D. Forget about it and continue proudly promote your views as usual

Unless your answer is A, why would you think it would be A for Nazis? Maybe you get someone to go from D to C, but C is still just as bad. If you are going to punch someone, just be honest about your goal. Admit that you are willing to make things worse, because hitting people makes you feel better. Obviously I won't feel bad for Nazis, but punching them doesn't solve any problems, which is my main priority. Time and time again it has been shown that exposure to other people and engaging people with radical empathy can reduce prejudice, but that is harder and not as fun so its better to just call anyone who doesn't think punching Nazis is a solution a "Nazi coddler" and continue being selfish. There will always be some radicals who will never change, but some radicals will change and there are plenty of moderates who will change and so its worth engaging for that. It works as long as you engage people in person and use logic and compassion to show people their errors in a non-hostile way.

I know people will say things like "why is it my responsibility to engage people?" which is perfectly fair. I understand if you don't want to and won't blame you. Everyone is selfish and has flaws and doesn't always do whats right. For instance I am not a vegetarian which means I am partly responsible for the suffering animals in the meat industry endure. So it is perfectly fine to do nothing/ use violence but don't pretend you are being moral or doing what is right.

EDIT: Reading through what I have just wrote it seems like I am coming down pretty hard on people but I just really care about reducing racism and to me, punching is making everything worse and is the opposite direction we need to be going in. I think the worse part is that it might quite people and make it seem like there is less racism, but the people will come out of the woodwork on voting day and will still treat people like shit. We need to be open and let people be racist so we can recognize it and treat it like the mental illness that it is. If someone could convince me I am wrong I would be grateful.

I need a fuckin drink

D i Z

297 right here

Alright mister fancy pants. I got the game late -_-

I haven't run anything not solo yet, so all of the strikes, the raid (fuck that noise) and lil bits I haven't touched. Getting some chatter about people feeling like they've reached the end of their rope after burning thru the game as fast as possible. Don't want that.

Merc_

lfDs2wg.jpg

It would be one page long and only say "Nowhere and never".

royalan

Can anybody recommend some political podcasts that prominantly feature black and brown voices?

Because I'm getting really tired of the increasing fratbro-ness of the Pod Save America crew.

Malyse

Holy shit. Sony was effective as FUCK with the Star Wars Battlefront advertising because I didn't know either game was on Xbox One.

Man Battle of Sexes film had Billie Jean King's ex husband looking like Fred from Scooby Doo so hard. If they ever do another film cast that dude asap

Also Steve Carrell's stunt double was like 49lba lighter than him

RedSwirl

Trying out the original Nier for a minute. Pretty good actually. I just don't like having to dust off my PS3 to play it.

Holy shit. Sony was effective as FUCK with the Star Wars Battlefront advertising because I didn't know either game was on Xbox One.

It's on PC too.

I learned long ago to never trust those commercials that prominently display one platform. Sony and Microsoft been pulling that shit since atl east last gen. It's never exclusive until it actually says "exclusive" on the box.

LotusHD

Banned

LotusHD

Banned
Hope y'all ready for the upcoming nationwide debate as to whether or not the word "cracka" is as offensive as the N-word. It's time we get to the bottom of this.

LionPride

Banned
I was at the gym for two hours with some friends Friday

I accidentally did 900 lbs on the leg press instead of my normal 720 lbs, I did it fine but damn

My shoulder, chest, and thighs hurt.

Can't wait to do it again

Top Bottom