• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Gattsu25

Banned
You think you grown, huh.

Showing off for your little friends, huh

36bd2b96555887181bff0adaae330018--work-belt-vintage-men.jpg

With my dad it was more like this:

4aq0USw.jpg

Sch1sm

??? Its morning here, man.

Time zones. How do they work?

Morning bct. How's everyone this morning

Morning, bud. First proper night of sleep in a minute, disrupted by knocking on the door so loud you’d assume the person was being chased down by a murderer.

"Impeach the president cause he don't think before he talk. Iraq, goddamn now he gunning for Iran, North Korea got that shit that make LA look like Japan."

Funny how this works considering the release date.

Isley Brothers’ sample is tough, too.

You know how HBO is developing 4 spinoffs? I think it would be awesome if they did something completely unexpected and had a show based in Sothoryos, or further east in Essos. This would easily give them reason to show what life is like for the black and brown inhabitants in the world of ASOIAF.

Knowing the usual trends though, all 4 spinoffs will probably still stay based in Westeros with a not-so diverse cast.

Or even the ASOIAF's equivalent of North/South America. Arya even hinted at it last season; "what's west of Westeros?"

LionPride

Banned
Dave Chappelle is bein called transphobic because he said the only reason the media cares about trans people so much is because white people are doing it. He said that if it was just black and Hispanic/Latino people were just the people changing their gender, no one would give a fuck.

He even said that Caitlyn Jenner got less shit for changing her gender than Ali for changing his name

Do people just not wanna take the entire context of a joke before they write a thinkpiece?

Faustek

Seriously what in the flying fuck USA? How the fuck is it reasonable to make an insured old woman pay $4k for a damn hip surgery? And that's apparently after the insurance have kicked in. Fucking shit stain of a medical state. Fuck.

Anyone have anything on any medical facilities in San Jose that actually have a good rep? Can't fucking trust my drunkard of an Uncle to do anything right neither my auntie since she's a perfect example of dumbass and Gran is only talking about some damn Yelp reviews.

SaiyanRaoh

Hey guys, LONG time Gaming Age/Opa/Neogaf lurker (2000 or so) finally deciding to speak up.
Questionnaire time:

Currently living: Overland Park, Ks
Cultural heritage: Never cared.
Roots: Ditto
Fav music genre: Video game tunes and 70s/80s rock.
Profession: Medical
Religion: Atheist
Hobbies: Gaming, reading, PCs
Popeyes
Make mine Marvel
Batman and Doctor Doom
I'm a recovering Anime addict....so currently.....Nah
Sports: No use for em, so no teams.
Disney: The Incredibles
Video games: Chrono Trigger is as close to a favorite I can come up with. RPGs are my go-to genre.

Johndoey

Banned
I very much like what I've played of Hellblade so far. I'm not terribly far in but it's captured my attention in a big way. Has a long opening scene that almost reminded me of The Witch. Headphones are pretty much a requirement to get the full experience. Not to say anyone should go buy a Gaming headset for this, but a decent pair of over the ears is indicated.

Johndoey

Banned
Hey guys, LONG time Gaming Age/Opa/Neogaf lurker (2000 or so) finally deciding to speak up.
Questionnaire time:

Currently living: Overland Park, Ks
Cultural heritage: Never cared.
Roots: Ditto
Fav music genre: Video game tunes and 70s/80s rock.
Profession: Medical
Religion: Atheist
Hobbies: Gaming, reading, PCs
Popeyes
Make mine Marvel
Batman and Doctor Doom
I'm a recovering Anime addict....so currently.....Nah
Sports: No use for em, so no teams.
Disney: The Incredibles
Video games: Chrono Trigger is as close to a favorite I can come up with. RPGs are my go-to genre.

Welcome
How's life treating ya?

Dave Chappelle is bein called transphobic because he said the only reason the media cares about trans people so much is because white people are doing it. He said that if it was just black and Hispanic/Latino people were just the people changing their gender, no one would give a fuck.

He even said that Caitlyn Jenner got less shit for changing her gender than Ali for changing his name

Do people just not wanna take the entire context of a joke before they write a thinkpiece?

image.php

Agreed

CommanderBuck

Neo Member

Good morning good folk!
Sometimes people just wanna get angry about something.

Aiustis

I think only idiots and non POC will miss this.

every 2 or 3 Science videos I watch about CRISPR gene editing technology I hear Sickle Cell mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCC2oILE7i0

As someone who has Sickle Cell I am glad science knows I exist.

But as a black man I can't help but think, that the Sickle Cell community is going to be used as a guinea pig for this technology until it is perfected for other communities.

BCT would you want another community to test out the new science before you try it or would you take part early in hopes of curing your illness?

I am going to be interviewed by a science magazine later this week about this technology and Sickle Cell, I am not sure if I should even point out these type of fears.
It's like pointing out the obvious.

How would you feel if you had a disease that could be cured and you saw your disease getting shoutouts like this?

Seriously what in the flying fuck USA? How the fuck is it reasonable to make an insured old woman pay $4k for a damn hip surgery? And that's apparently after the insurance have kicked in. Fucking shit stain of a medical state. Fuck.

Anyone have anything on any medical facilities in San Jose that actually have a good rep? Can't fucking trust my drunkard of an Uncle to do anything right neither my auntie since she's a perfect example of dumbass and Gran is only talking about some damn Yelp reviews.
I got some friends in the bay. I'll ask.

Wonder when they'll realize the joke is criticising white people not transgenders

i sae the show, its great. if anyone is in nyc def go watch it. While watching it i knew people would get pissed about that joke, and he even said people would get mad about it during the show.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.philly.com/philly/living...-history-of-blackface-20170808.html?mobi=true

An article about black face, minstrel shows and the history of the Mummer parades on Philly.

You write about black Mummers groups. What happened to them?

What I found out, going through records in the basement of the Mummers Museum, is almost every year through 1929 there were between one and three African American mummers groups. They almost always scored very low. The museum doesn’t have judges’ notes going that far back, and newspaper reports tended to focus on performances that scored better. So it’s hard to recover why they didn’t do well. It’s a fairly safe assumption to say racism had something to do it. After 1929, you don’t see African American participation in the parade for a quite a while, with the exception of paid accompanists. That probably had to do with the Depression, and with the frustration of being scored so low by the judges and performing alongside whites in blackface year after year.

For many black people in Philly, we just ignored the mummers because they were clearly racist, homophobic. They have showed their ass recently and i have no interest. But the history is interesting.

Haunted City: Three Centuries of Racial Impersonation in Philadelphia (University of Michigan Press) documents a long, complicated arts and theater history in this city. It includes blackface minstrel shows that played at dedicated minstrel theaters — and even at the Walnut Street Theatre — featuring characters like Jim Crow. It explores the widely circulated etchings of “Life in Philadelphia” depicting offensive racial caricatures. And it examines the Mummers, from their origins as men who would black up on Christmas Eve and roam the streets, getting drunk and rowdy as they demanded money from wealthy residents, to the acts of impersonation and appropriation that continue today, more than 50 years after the city banned blackface in the parade.

Samara

Man, I miss eating sun ripened mangoes. They started selling these red and yellow one. Shit is hard as rock. Scam!
Whatever happened to putting it your mouth. Straight up.
Sweet-Julie-1.jpg

smh

TheSun

I wouldn't care if I was. Got more problems to deal with then people that block me.

Dunno man, I lay awake in fear if somebody don't like me because I don't hate esports in the Olympics.

But seriously, I wouldn't care much either(I wouldn't know anyways).

---

I hate paperwork.

Gattsu25

Banned
Damn y'all got abused

Wait, y'all never got kicked in the back while you were on the ground from a beating, held off the ground by a hand around your throat, or punched in the throat?

That was all my dad. My mom? She slapped my hand when she was upset at me (usually grades). Later on we shared stories and she thought he only abused her.

Beefy

I stole my mom's keys once it was the beating of a life time.
She had all the food locked in one room.

Wait, y'all never got kicked in the back while you were on the ground from a beating, held off the ground by a hand around your throat, or punched in the throat?

That was all my dad. My mom? She slapped my hand when she was upset at me (usually grades). Later on we shared stories and she thought he only abused her.

My mom slapped my dad down when he did weird shit. She wouldn't let him hurt me and my sisters or bro, he just did weird shit to scare us. Dude use to sell drugs though, so why he mess.

Sorry about the abuse you suffered man

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Y’all never got chased around the house by your mom with a butcher knife in hand on some ole Halloween Michael myers shit?

Damn

Damn we talkin bout whoopins in here?

Pops was a man of many tools. Belt and hand (football player hands, with rings on) were deployed in equal measure and dare I say the hand was objectively more painful.

Gramps was a regular belt guy like those pictured. Gramma was a switch kinda gal, often making us get the branches off the tree in their backyard to deploy the pain.

I didn't get a lot of whoopins which I think made them memorable when I did get them. I remember getting one for cussing (was repeating some Richard Pryor tape or record or something) and most others were for breaking something that I shouldn't have been playing with.

That said, I'm not spanking my kids, ever. There are better more effective ways to teach lessons than violence and fear tactics. There always was a better way.

NoName999

That's why I always figured the gay movement was accepted relatively faster than the civil rights movement. The "face" of the gay movement is very much white. Despite the majority of gay couples are interracial.

Top Bottom