• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

eternaLightness said:
Is it on Netflix? I've been in need of a good documentary for awhile now.

I'm afraid not. Still, shouldn't be that hard to find. It's a pretty interesting, a lot of black intellectuals give their opinions to help people better understand just what they mean when they discuss reparations. In fact I wouldn't really say that its all about reparations, but slavery in the US as a whole. It's pretty short too, less than an hour.

ThirtyPlus said:
I mean Martin's was never THAT funny to me once I got a certain age. He was probably the most popular black comedian in the Def Jam era, but dude always relied to much on being ultra vulgar. I always liked Chris Rock more because he was smart-funny as opposed to Martin's goofy-funny. But to me, Dave does both equally as well.
I'm with you on this. I also intensely dislike Martin because of the Big Mama's house trilogy. I hate seeing black comedians wearing fucking dresses. Funnily enough Dave Chapelle said on Oprah that they wanted to have him in a dress in one of the later seasons of the Chapelle show.

Kaizer

Banned
ThirtyPlus said:
I mean Martin's was never THAT funny to me once I got a certain age. He was probably the most popular black comedian in the Def Jam era, but dude always relied to much on being ultra vulgar. I always liked Chris Rock more because he was smart-funny as opposed to Martin's goofy-funny. But to me, Dave does both equally as well.
Definitely agree with this. I've always been a bigger Chris Rock fan than Martin and Dave Chapelle is funnier than both to me at times. No doubt Chapelle's Show is a classic.

JCX

That was great. I recently watched his "Inside the actor's studio" for the first time recently. Was amazing and inspiring, especially as a new comedian.

JCX said:
That was great. I recently watched his "Inside the actor's studio" for the first time recently. Was amazing and inspiring, especially as a new comedian.
I didn't know he started when he was 15. That is, as you said, inspiring.

Yasae

Banned
DominoKid said:
He's right about context being destroyed, but you have to understand intent. Too many young people do associate the word gay with (from urbandictionary) an event that is stupid or unfortunate. There were gays a hell of a long time before the use of the word in this manner came about... Why is anyone confused there might be a derogatory connection, intentional or not? Nobody on earth can claim ignorance.

Sometimes shit is just unfunny no matter what. Tracy Morgan could've made gay jokes a different (and not necessarily inoffensive) way and had laughs, but no. That's what people don't seem to get.

As far as the black stand-up legends:
1. Chris Rock
2. Richard Pryor
3. Eddie Murphy
4. Bill Cosby
5. Bernie Mac
6. Redd Foxx
7. Dave Chappelle
8. Sinbad

Come at me bro

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Bay Maximus said:
1. Chris Rock
2. Richard Pryor
3. Eddie Murphy
4. Bill Cosby
5. Bernie Mac
6. Redd Foxx
7. Dave Chappelle
8. Sinbad

Come at me bro

pryor needs to be number one. not to diminish rocks efforts or anything. and its a damn shame robin harris wasnt more successful.

Imm0rt4l

never listened to Bill Cosby but that list looks alright, not sure bout the order though, Pryor should be number 1. Paul Mooney is also fucking hilarious.

DominoKid said:

Listened to this a few days ago when I saw it in the tracy morgan thread, good listen, and pretty damn funny too. While I thought a few of his points were a little out there, for the most part, I agreed Patrice. LOL @ "thats why I deal with low and mid tier jews.."

I especially agree that this whole thing seems to be more about "collecting tax" than it does trying to "protect gay sensibilities", and certainly "changing" Tracy Morgan. After all of his, to be frank, coonery and shit over the years, and just overall lack of class....all of a sudden he's under fire? Did he even admit to breaking the fourth wall or anything during the routine? Or has all of this, the apology and everything, been over tasteless comedy? I don't even like this clown, but damn is this shit frustrating.

On a side note, I've always disliked 30 Rock. Feel like it's basically propped up because it's about television, and these fucking vain entertainers just can't let a show about their own world fail.

DominoKid

yeah 30 Rock isnt that funny on the whole. they hit a home run every now and then but it's kinda boring. Kenneth fucking kills me though.

patriceonealelephantintheroom.jpg

funny as fuck. its streaming on Netflix right now.

sidenote: Sinbad is surprisingly funny for someone who works clean. I've watched a lot of his stuff on youtube lately.

MWS Natural said:
Am I the only one who now dismisses black gaffers who don't post in the BGAF thread? Like I would be reading someones post and somehow their race would come up and my first thought is, "yeah whatever his ass don't post in the BGAF thread..."
It depends on the poster, but I feel you.

I also like the feeling of seeing a user name in another thread and thinking to myself, "He/she's a member/visitor of BlackGAF. That's pretty cool."

Then again, I do the same thing for any other sub community that I am involved with.

Edit: I agree with Bay Maximus' comedian list. I would only switch Pryor's spot with Rock's.

Measley

Bay Maximus said:
1. Chris Rock
2. Richard Pryor
3. Eddie Murphy
4. Bill Cosby
5. Bernie Mac
6. Redd Foxx
7. Dave Chappelle
8. Sinbad

Come at me bro

Pretty much, though Eddie has lost a lot of his edge. I don't think he'd be that great if he did standup nowadays. Eddie in the 80s though was untouchable.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
brotha-age.
are you cut or not.
this is important. allegiances must be forged. sides must be taken. oaths must be sworn.

zero_suit

Veidt said:
brotha-age.
are you cut or not.
this is important. allegiances must be forged. sides must be taken. oaths must be sworn.

I know you're not, but most of us are from the U.S.; what do you think the answer is?

Veidt

I've never heard of a black uncut penis.
I don't think there is such a thing.

spindashing said:
If we find one here, I have the pitchforks and torches ready.

Torches and scissors, you mean, yes? And extra thick gloves and tongs.

And napkins.

To soak up the blood.

Can I be anymore obvious?

CHOP OFF THE SKIN! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Londa

Banned
Nicki Minaj

Like her? or can't stand her?

NickiMinaj-will-i-am_vma.jpg

For me, she and her music isn't appealing to me. What do you guys think?

edit: forgot to add fake butt pic

nicki-minaj-nicki-minajs-conversational-bum_jmicl_0.jpg

Real? or fake?

Would you date a girl like Nicki Minaj?

I think she can spit, but I don't really like her whole spazzing out thing she does on her songs. But she probably wouldn't be as popular if she didn't do that as well the stupid outfits she wears.

DominoKid

Veidt said:
I've never heard of a black uncut penis.
I don't think there is such a thing.

you rang?

no but seriously, my mom said that the only reason i didnt get circumcised is that the hospital i was born at had a rep for botching them or something like that.
i mean damn, its not just serious. you still gotta wash your dick either way.

also, i'd like to fuck Nicki Minaj. i know she can break some dick off right.

ikkemenx

I quite like the annoying, bitchy nasally sound of her voice (and the Brooklyn accent). Not even being sarcastic. Her lyrics are whatever, doing too much of that

SENTENCE...

Word. (That relates to the above phrase)

I feel like a lot of people are doing that these days, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Drake etc.

"Swimmin' in the money, come and find me...

Nemo."

I like that she's aggressive and that she talks about fucking people up. "You should have sent a thank you note, ya little ho, NOW I'M GONNA WRAP YA COFFIN WIT A BOW"

*shrug* I find her kind of cool I guess.

EDIT:
eternaLightness said:
I think she can spit, but I don't really like her whole spazzing out thing she does on her songs. But she probably wouldn't be as popular if she didn't do that as well the stupid outfits she wears.

I quite like that! All the crazy voices and shit.

Londa said:
Nicki Minaj

Like her? or can't stand her?

I think she has talent and sometimes I think some songs stink. Would I date a woman that looks like her? Sure, I don't see a problem. Now fake butt and what not is neither here nor there. The guys at work think I have a preference for some reason.

Veidt

Never heard of this nikki person before. And I don't like her from what I've seen.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I think she has talent and sometimes I think some songs stink. Would I date a woman that looks like her? Sure, I don't see a problem. Now fake butt and what not is neither here nor there. The guys at work think I have a preference for some reason.

So when she takes off her butt pads, that won't bother you at all?

original.jpg

Nicki really ain't all that. I mean, she is good looking and if I had the chance I couldn't deny her but she's not my type.

Also, it may be hipster of me to say, but she was better before she got famous.

That Eugenics thread, oh my stars... -_-

Imm0rt4l

I neither like her music or find her very attractive, she's super plastic and cartoony. I will admit she went in on Monster though....

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nicki Minaj should be more honest about her body I think she'd look better with out it. But it's obvious her fake butt is a selling point.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
perfectnight said:
Check out the eugenics thread for some good evening rage

already been there, rage is appropriate

Londa said:
So when she takes off her butt pads, that won't bother you at all?

everytime i see nicki minaj, i think about cherry from im gonna git you sucka.

Imm0rt4l said:
I neither like her music or find her very attractive, she's super plastic and cartoony. I will admit she went in on Monster though....
She had a lot of help from Kanye and others with that verse.

Then again, I didn't like Monster. So Appalled was so much better.

Veidt

spindashing said:
Nicki really ain't all that. I mean, she is good looking and if I had the chance I couldn't deny her but she's not my type.

Also, it may be hipster of me to say, but she was better before she got famous.

That Eugenics thread, oh my stars... -_-
link plz

Top Bottom