• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
What do you think of New York?

tiffany-pollard-peace.jpg

I think she is a mess. lol mutant knee XD

Veal

Imm0rt4l said:
never listened to Bill Cosby but that list looks alright, not sure bout the order though, Pryor should be number 1. Paul Mooney is also fucking hilarious.
Your first stop on getting educated on Cosby should be "Bill Cosby: Himself" An absolute classic.

Yea, the the victims who were giving testimony in the OP of that eugenics thread were all black women. Their sobbing broke my fucking heart. These women old enough to be our mothers and grandmothers were just destroyed. Their souls were mortally wounded.

I am ruined for the day because of it.

This fucking country, man.

Londa

Banned
http://sandrarose.com/2011/06/rihanna-disowns-drake-he-might-as-well-come-on-out-of-the-closet/

Anyway, I wrote all that to say, Drake finally came out of the closet last night at the Songwriters Hall of Fame 42nd Annual Induction and Awards at The New York Marriott Marquis Hotel in NYC. There’s no denying it now. Drake wore a black, swoop neck ladies top under his men’s tailored jacket. His poses on the red carpet were decidedly feminine — and he didn’t care who noticed.

Picture-69.jpg

(I'm posting too much XD)

Londa said:
So when she takes off her butt pads, that won't bother you at all?

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/22019/original.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh well in that case...yeah a little problem. I'm an advocate of natural beauty and a woman leaning on that well.

Londa

Banned
Parallax said:
how is that coming out of the closet? i hate tabloid sites like that.

lol I guess his clothes said it all?

PhoenixDark said:
Can you keep the homophobic links to yourself. Thanks

Wow that you think that was homophobic. I also like how you break your silence to scream homophobia.

leadbelly

Banned
Londa said:
I'm not really sure why lead felt the need to bring up that in this thread. If you want a Mixed Culture thread just make one. No one is stopping you. We have nothing to do with that. (you are still cool with me tho)

Yeah. Well, there is a reason I started browsing this thread. It is a part of my heritage, so obviously I feel some connection to it. The post is sort of me thinking allowed. I just pondered the idea of a Mixed Race thread, I didn't really want to make one though. And a Mixed Culture thread doesn't really work because there kind of isn't one. It's more of a sense of not really belonging to either or even really accepted as either... but not unaccepted. It was something that kind of bothered me as a kid, but now I find it kind of cool. I certainly have rather interesting mix of ancestry. :)

I suppose a good example of someone you would know who is truly mixed race is "Slash". You can't really say he's black or white. If you notice Slash doesn't speak, act, dress, etc in a way you would associate with black culture.

I'm not mixed but I am of the yellow shade. I was raised on African American children books and movies.
In MD-DC-VA, there are a lot of well educated African American people along side the ghetto ones. I choose to focus on the positive side of being African American.

I am someone that has the shade of Beyonce. For some reason people this shade are not really seen as African American. It gets annoying tbh and I wish people would stop trying classify what a African American should look like.

That is all. :p

This is actually kind of relevant to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KKyw8V-l0

Londa

Banned
leadbelly said:
Yeah. Well, there is a reason I started browsing this thread. It is a part of my heritage, so obviously I feel some connection to it. The post is sort of me thinking allowed. I just pondered the idea of a Mixed Race thread, I didn't really want to make one though. And a Mixed Culture thread doesn't really work because there kind of isn't one. It's more of a sense of not really belonging to either or even really accepted as either... but not unaccepted. It was something that kind of bothered me as a kid, but now I find it kind of cool. I certainly have rather interesting mix of ancestry. :)

I suppose a good example of someone you would know who is truly mixed race is "Slash". You can't really say he's black or white. If you notice Slash doesn't speak, act, dress, etc in a way you would associate with black culture.

This is actually kind of relevant to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KKyw8V-l0

At the time that you said that, we were talking about how the old thread got locked. It was just really bad timing.

Thanks for the link. My grandpa and mother have hazel eyes like him.

leadbelly

Banned
Londa said:
At the time that you said that, we were talking about how the old thread got locked. It was just really bad timing.

Yeah. It wasn't really in response to anything actually said within the thread.

Londa

Banned
leadbelly said:
Yeah. It wasn't really in response to anything actually said within the thread.

yeah, it was just bad timing. I could tell you wasn't responding to anything being said at that moment. But the reason the other thread got lock to my understanding was the fact that people wanted threads like "White People OT".

Dreams-Visions: really depressing. The government has done some messed up stuff.

leadbelly

Banned
Londa said:
yeah, it was just bad timing. I could tell you wasn't responding to anything being said at that moment. But the reason the other thread got lock to my understanding was the fact that people wanted threads like "White People OT".

Yeah, it's taking things into a strange place that is better to avoid. I perfectly understand the reasoning behind it.

spindashing said:
...God damn.

Ugh. Not in the best moods anymore.
yea, dogg. I made a thread about it because there were hearings today. Unfortunately, it got hella derailed.

They're trying to get these people compensation, but even then it will only be a little something. Somewhere between $20,000 - $50,000.

Every time I think about it, I get a burn in my chest. Shit makes me wonder why we consider that generation "America's Greatest".

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, dogg. I made a thread about it because there were hearings today. Unfortunately, it got hella derailed.

They're trying to get these people compensation, but even then it will only be a little something. Somewhere between $20,000 - $50,000.

Every time I think about it, I get a burn in my chest. Shit makes me wonder why we consider that generation "America's Greatest".

I had to stop reading that thread ... Scary that people actually thought this was an acceptable course of action.
I really didn't know any of this information because it sure as hell didn't come up in my secondary school.

Londa said:
Nicki Minaj

Like her? or can't stand her?

Real? or fake?

Would you date a girl like Nicki Minaj?

I think Nicki Minaj is talented and I always enjoy a fresh take on Hip-Hop. Just wish she would tone down the sex appeal a bit though.

desa

magnificent83 said:
I had to stop reading that thread ... Scary that people actually thought this was an acceptable course of action.
I really didn't know any of this information because it sure as hell didn't come up in my secondary school.

Don't know if you're in the US, but our education system sucks. Especially history. So watered down and filtered. Even in college they don't tell you the whole story. Leaving out important shit we all should know about. Thank god for internet age. I learn something new everyday and it helps me connect and understand people and cultures I'm not familiar with.

Almost every month I find out something new in America's history that boggles the mind. Most of it swept under the rug and the majority have no clue.

slopeslider said:
Well I still have somewhat of a shapeup but it's been awhile since I've had my hair cut

bwahahhaha i don't think he was talking about your bush shape up

Dreams-Visions said:

I read the article and they should seriously get more than $50k for that bullshit. And fuck those who say $20k is realistic.

Londa

Banned
desa said:
Don't know if you're in the US, but our education system sucks. Especially history. So watered down and filtered. Even in college they don't tell you the whole story. Leaving out important shit we all should know about. Thank god for internet age. I learn something new everyday and it helps me connect and understand people and cultures I'm not familiar with.

Almost every month I find out something new in America's history that boggles the mind. Most of it swept under the rug and the majority have no clue.

bwahahhaha i don't think he was talking about your bush shape up

why do you think the majority have no clue? Maybe the majority have no say in what had happened? I mean I am an American, I have access to the internet too, just like you. I don't just use facebook on my browser.

Dreams-Visions said:

Ugh. It's stories like these that remind me that the world is a shit place to be no matter where it is that you live.

desa

Londa said:
why do you think the majority have no clue? Maybe the majority have no power to change what is going on? I mean I am an American, I have access to the internet too, just like you. I don't just use facebook on my browser.

You really think a majority of america will willingly seek out stuff like this? Or even stumble upon it? For the majority of them, education of history will be over after high school. Ignorance is bliss.

Mr. Patch

Dreams-Visions said:

The fact that people are capable of doing this without any guilt both angers and disturbs me. I know this country has done fucked up shit to people, but as more things come out, it gets more ridiculous.

I'm also not surprised that I wasn't taught about this in school. I'm not even sure if I learned about the Tuskeegee Experiments in school.

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
Ugh. It's stories like these that remind me that the world is a shit place to be no matter where it is that you live.
Pretty much, you've just gotta make the best out of what you've have. It's no secret the world has an ugly history across all kinds of nations, continents, etc. To be honest, I don't think I could've handled being black in any other time period than now, so much crazy shit went down, from eugenics to Emmitt Till, what depressing times.

Things aren't exactly perfect now, but for lots of people the opportunity of having a good life has went up significantly.

EDIT: Good god, I hadn't heard of the Tuskegee Experiments before, damn my heart just sunk.

desa

heliosRAzi said:
I read the article and they should seriously get more than $50k for that bullshit. And fuck those who say $20k is realistic.

For real. How do you go and fight enemies that was all up in eugenics and then a couple of decades later pull the same shit. 50k is bullshit. I think the japanese americans who were forced in concentration camps received like 20k per person.

This is the same government that let war criminals free for scientific data.

Londa

Banned
desa said:
You really think a majority of america will willingly seek out stuff like this? Or even stumble upon it? For the majority of them, education of history will be over after high school. Ignorance is bliss.

Dude, don't talk as if you know everyone in America. Everyone has access to the internet. Just because stuff isn't in a text book doesn't mean people don't know how to research.

It's so easy to talk about Americans as if you are an enlightened foreigner looking from the outside in.

edit: I just wanted to note that a lot of African American History that I know of was not taught in school.

desa said:

British certified schooling in Ghana, so obviously didn't cover a lot of American History Post-Civil War but then again, we also didn't cover a lot of Ghanaian and African History. Its always struck me as ironic that I probably learned more about other cultures in secondary school than about my own.

Also, just learning that Kwame Nkrumah is not the special leader that history tries to make of him. We learned in school about how great he was and not about the crimes he perpetrated that helped fuel Ghana's descent into a history of coups and failed governments.
So, its not just Americans who have to deal with this issue of not knowing the more sordid aspects of their history, some things should never be swept under the rug in order to make the populace happy or content.

desa

Londa said:
Dude, don't talk as if you know everyone in America. Everyone has access to the internet. Just because stuff isn't in a text book doesn't mean people don't know how to research.

It's so easy to talk about Americans as if you are an enlightened foreigner looking from the outside in.

I'm from California. I'm not talking about everyone. Why do you sound so defensive. You live in america. This should be obvious to you. Our education system sucks. In turn, it doesn't foster people who want to seek out information and history.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
desa said:
I'm from California. I'm not talking about everyone. Why do you sound so defensive. You live in america. This should be obvious to you. Our education system sucks. In turn, it doesn't foster people who want to seek out information and history.

the thing is, there are sordid details that are removed from schoolbooks all over the world. history is written by the winners after all. america is no different in that regard except that we dont have much history to draw in comparison to asian and european contries.

Londa

Banned
desa said:

Maybe in Cali, but that is far from the truth in other areas. I've learn plenty from word of mouth from coworkers/friends/family plus the internet. I'm not really on the defensive, sorry if I came off that way. I can be pretty blunt at times. I guess I just don't like blanket statements. In your case it would be "most American's are unaware of anything not taught to them in grade school". My life experience says this is false, take what you will from it.

I know you're discussing deep shit and all, but it's late and I'm tired as fuck. Stumbled across this music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35rNEBNiO4

and I'm like hmm, is it just me or is that semi racist against dark people. The negative, loud black girl has unkept, nappy hair while the positive "pretty girl" is light skinned and all. damn ricky

Dreams-Visions said:

I've always laughed at this phrase. I don't care how many Nazi scalps they bagged, fuck em all.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
PhoenixDark said:
I know you're discussing deep shit and all, but it's late and I'm tired as fuck. Stumbled across this music video

and I'm like hmm, is it just me or is that semi racist against dark people. The negative, loud black girl has unkept, nappy hair while the positive "pretty girl" is light skinned and all. damn ricky

rick ross is a clown, he isnt to be taken seriously.

PhoenixDark said:

LOL, of all the colorism issues in rap videos, this is a funny one to catch your eye.

Yeah, she is definitely a 'mammy in training'

desa

“MY daughter is the first and last dark skin child im having, the rest of my baby moms light skin chicks i even got an asian baby moms to make sure i have a daughter with good hair, too bad we had a son”

“Beautiful Black Woman i bet that b*tch look better red” - Lil Wayne

How the fuck are you gonna say that about your daughter. Hip Hop community needs to stop this shit.

PhoenixDark said:

You really are something else. You get outraged by dumb shit yet brush off real racism.

lol @ the OJ Simpson thread, this should be fun.

MWS Natural said:
You really are something else. You get outraged by dumb shit yet brush off real racism.

lol @ the OJ Simpson thread, this should be fun.

Not outraged, just found it interesting at 3AM. Shit's sad

Top Bottom