• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Its not so much that nobody thinks its possible, just that it won't happen for a while. People will have to be sort of eased into a black bond. Maybe the next one will be a light south asian, then after that someone of Arab descent, then a light-skinned or biracial bond then finally a very dark black bond.

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
Its not so much that nobody thinks its possible, just that it won't happen for a while. People will have to be sort of eased into a black bond. Maybe the next one will be a light south asian, then after that someone of Arab descent, then a light-skinned or biracial bond then finally a very dark black bond.

Hahaha. Who would you cast as a black Bond? I somehow find the strong desire to have a black Bond adorable; interesting how symbolic such an iteration would be.

TheOddOne

ikkemenx said:
Hahaha. Who would you cast as a black Bond? I somehow find the strong desire to have a black Bond adorable; interesting how symbolic such an iteration would be.
Anthony Mackie

anthony-mackie2.jpg

He got that swagger like no one else.

Londa

Banned
desa said:
Came across this video and I thought it was interesting. A girl with vitiligo. I think she's beautiful and I'd date her in a heartbeat if she was around my way. I'm diggin her personality from what is shown from that video clip. What about you guys? Would you date someone with vitiligo or any other condition that affects someone's appearance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__3Hm14whUY&feature=player_embedded

I am going to roll my eyes if a certain poster talks about how she isn't black or white or whatever.

There's a large disparity when it comes to diversity in Hollywood and if you consider how difficult it is to find a white Bond even in that large pool of white actors, it makes it especially difficult in finding one within minorities. I would like to see Don Cheadle because he's proven to portray dark and emotive roles, but I don't think he has that sex appeal. Then again Daniel Craig was an unknown so..

Count Dookkake said:
We accept you, we accept you!
One of us, one of us!
Gooble gobble!
Gooble gobble!
I remember in the Negro-Age thread, before we shared pictures, someone (I don't remember who) said, "You know what would be interesting? If spindashing was truly white and was just trolling us the whole time."

And I just got off the phone with my father about it. It's pretty much true. Like I said before, I figured that I would have some white in me, but not so recent as far as generations go.

Though, this explains my paternal grandfather's hair and skin color.

As far as Bond goes, Elba is the only acceptable answer. I do not want any black stereotypes attached to Bond, either. I don't even want a wise cracking "playa" side-kick like Chris Tucker or something.

"DAAAAAAAMN BOND. WE GOT ALL THE LADIES."

Equus Bellator Apex said:
And where do you think you're going negr--

=(

besada

Banned
lightless_shadow said:
Still waiting for the day when we finally get a black bond. Idris Elba isn't getting younger.

Forget Bond, Idris Elba needs to play Jack Reacher. He's perfect for the role, other than Reacher is white in the books, but there's nothing in his backstory that requires him to be white. Unfortunately, they're looking at Tom Cruise to play a 6'5" ex-Military Investigator, hardass.

desa said:
Came across this video and I thought it was interesting. A girl with vitiligo. I think she's beautiful and I'd date her in a heartbeat if she was around my way. I'm diggin her personality from what is shown from that video clip. What about you guys? Would you date someone with vitiligo or any other condition that affects someone's appearance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__3Hm14whUY&feature=player_embedded

I have no problem with it personally and I agree, she's still very beautiful. I knew a guy at my church who had it when I was younger and we were very cool.

Anyone else here watch Crips and Bloods made in America? I found it incredibly sad how a failed outward struggle later perverted itself inwards and of resulted in daily self destruction.

I actually saw that awhile back. It's pretty disheartening. Have to imagine what a lot of black communities would be like if the whole gang movement actually stayed positive.

Imm0rt4l

Roger Moore once co-signed for Cuba Gooding Junior to be a good Bond, I don't know if he could do a convincing accent though. I don't even know what happened to that guy, he won an oscar than its like he got blackballed out of hollywood, doing strictly b-movies now. What a shame. Elba is the only dude that comes to mind that could do it. I wouldn't want a black Bond just for the sake of having a black Bond, I'd want someone who could do the part justice.

Measley

Imm0rt4l said:
Roger Moore once co-signed for Cuba Gooding Junior to be a good Bond, I don't know if he could do a convincing accent though. I don't even know what happened to that guy, he won an oscar than its like he got blackballed out of hollywood, doing strictly b-movies now. What a shame. Elba is the only dude that comes to mind that could do it.

Cuba Gooding Jr would be terrible as Bond. He just isn't suave enough to pull it off. Honestly Gooding is pretty terrible in just about everything he's in.

royalan

Yeah, Cuba Gooding Jr. would be a terrible Bond. Not that he's bad actor...he's just not really a dapper kind of guy.

I think it's obvious that Idris Elba would be a kickass black Bond...and he has the accent.

EDIT: Or maybe Djimon Hounsou.

He's definitely got that raw, older masculinity that defines Bond. And as a former model the man definitely knows how to rock a suit.

But at 47, he might be too old.

Gamer98

Banned
Does anybody here get sick of seeing white people in movies and tv? Do yall feel like the other races are vastly misrepresented?

white protagonist after white protagonist I used to not think anything of it but as I got older it just began to annoy the fuck out of me.

Its like Hollywood had a view of the world that is the farthest thing from being real. And people believe what they see so through media white people expect us to act a certain way and to be honest it makes me want to kill myself cause I can't just be.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hate it when the whole cast is white then they throw the one token and it's usually the main characters best friend who he is down with... IN THE HOOD!

Smh.

Hell, I raged when they made Aang(chinese) white and the Waterbenders(Inuit) white in The Last Airbender.

Gamer98

Banned
Plywood said:
I hate it when the whole cast is white then they throw the one token and it's usually the main characters best friend who he is down with... IN THE HOOD!

Smh.

Hell, I raged when they made Aang(chinese) white and the Waterbenders(Inuit) white in The Last Airbender.

I feel ya I look at the movie Horrible bosses for example, full of goofy white people then the one person of color is the one teaching them how to kill somebody and get away with it. So sick of white people and their stupid fucking movies. Its all white everything in a country full of Mexicans... They need to fucking stop.

Kosmo

Banned
Gamer98 said:
Does anybody here get sick of seeing white people in movies and tv? Do yall feel like the other races are vastly misrepresented?

white protagonist after white protagonist I used to not think anything of it but as I got older it just began to annoy the fuck out of me.

Its like Hollywood had a view of the world that is the farthest thing from being real. And people believe what they see so through media white people expect us to act a certain way and to be honest it makes me want to kill myself cause I can't just be.

Ever see a movie with one of these actors:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe
Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill Cosby
Raven Simone
Samuel L Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Halle Berry
Gabrielle Union
Cuba Gooding
Kerry Washington
Viola Davis
Jaleel White(Steve Urkel)
Hattie McDaniel
Whoopi Goldberg
angela bassett
dorothy dandridge
Eddie Murphy
Oprah Winfrey
Ruby Dee
Queen Latifah
Denzel Washington

Imm0rt4l

Gamer98 said:

I don't get sick of it as it's become so normalized. It doesn't bother me as much as it should, but Asians are easily the most under and misrepresented in Hollywood. People give shit to guys like spike lee for having race being a big issue with him. But if Asians had a spike lee and a movement like blacks do they'd probably be in the limelight a whole lot more. I'd like minorities to star in more movies that aren't taylored to just that group. I don't fuck with madea films, I like seeing actors of all races in legitimately good films.

Yasae said:
Kimberly Jones voiced a white woman and some people were taken aback. It's not unusual to expect someone of the same race as their character to play the role, so I could understand a hint of surprise, but there was plenty of "She sounded white."

On Church's:
Interesting. I only ever eat their (super expensive) chicken strips, and those are full of flavor to me. Their biscuits are fine, too. Maybe the rest isn't so great. *shrugs*
u got a link to that thread?

ikkemenx said:

well he has to be british so it would have to be a black UK actor.

I would've supported Hugh Quarshie if he had made the bid while he was still younger. But Eamon Walker, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, or Chiwetel Ejiofor could do it and of cours Idris Elba.

But a lot of those guys are already pretty mature. By the time the powers that be decide that a black bond should be tried out, these guys will already be too old and the only young black british actor that comes to mind right now is Nathan Stewart-Jarret, but he wouldn't be good looking enough IMO. Oh but there's Michael Obiora.

What they could also do is test the waters by having a bond-related miniseries that follows a black agent. If that series proves popular then they can start thinking about casting a black bond.

Dabanton said:
Black Bond?

Colin Salmon surely.

http://www.abload.de/img/colin_salmon_0005ojho.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought about him, but as it turns out he's already been in some bond films as a different character.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kosmo said:
Ever see a movie with one of these actors:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe