• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Enzom21

Kosmo said:
Ever see a movie with one of these actors:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe
Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill Cosby
Raven Simone
Samuel L Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Halle Berry
Gabrielle Union
Cuba Gooding
Kerry Washington
Viola Davis
Jaleel White(Steve Urkel)
Hattie McDaniel
Whoopi Goldberg
angela bassett
dorothy dandridge
Eddie Murphy
Oprah Winfrey
Ruby Dee
Queen Latifah
Denzel Washington
What's your point? He didn't say there were no black people in movies, just that other races were woefully underrepresented.
Dwayne McDuffie had a good take on blacks in comics and how white audiences react to having black characters in comics and entertainment.
http://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ

Measley

Imm0rt4l said:
I don't get sick of it as it's become so normalized. It doesn't bother me as much as it should, but Asians are easily the most under and misrepresented in Hollywood. People give shit to guys like spike lee for having race being a big issue with him. But if Asians had a spike lee and a movement like blacks do they'd probably be in the limelight a whole lot more. I'd like minorities to star in more movies that aren't taylored to just that group. I don't fuck with madea films, I like seeing actors of all races in legitimately good films.

The biggest thing I've noticed is the lack of Asian singers in popular American music. A lot of the major stars in Asia are extremely talented. That Japanese artist who sung the second ending to FMA: Brotherhood had a Youtube video where she sung "Oh Happy Day" in a black church. Girl had some serious pipes.

lightless_shado said:
If you're rich you can be anything you want. Oprah has been in some films and guest starred on some TV programs.

Never had them. Never had cornbread, grits, ribs or collard greens either.

O M G!!!!!!!

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
If you're rich you can be anything you want. Oprah has been in some films and guest starred on some TV programs.

Never had grits or collard greens either!

lightless_shado said:
Never had cornbread, grits, ribs or collard greens either.
dudewhat.gif

Ducarmel

Why would a black Bond care for the Queen? black people in England really care about the Queen?

Cause I think I would snicker in the theater if I heard a black Bond say with a straight face for the Queen!

Nay on chitterlings.

Vice

lightless_shado said:

Damn. You need to, at least, have some ribs.

Gamer98

Banned
Kosmo said:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe
Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill Cosby
Raven Simone
Samuel L Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Halle Berry
Gabrielle Union
Cuba Gooding
Kerry Washington
Viola Davis
Hattie McDaniel
Whoopi Goldberg
angela bassett
dorothy dandridge
Eddie Murphy
Oprah Winfrey
Ruby Dee
Queen Latifah
Denzel Washington
Way more whit people I mean come on now.

LowerLevel

Big Baybee said:

Yeeeesss!

And to Enzom... you messed me up. I have been so far out of the loop. Dwayne McDuffie died??? I am sure you all already went over this but this is news to me. WTF... So sad now. There goes any chances of a JL movie finalizing a GL/Hawkgirl wedding...

Imm0rt4l

enzom21 said:
What's your point? He didn't say there were no black people in movies, just that other races were woefully underrepresented.
Dwayne McDuffie had a good take on blacks in comics and how white audiences react to having black characters in comics and entertainment.
http://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Dabanton said:
Black Bond?

Colin Salmon surely.

colin_salmon_0005ojho.jpg
He was already in Bond movies though

Kosmo said:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe
Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill Cosby
Raven Simone
Samuel L Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Halle Berry
Gabrielle Union
Cuba Gooding
Kerry Washington
Viola Davis
Hattie McDaniel
Whoopi Goldberg
angela bassett
dorothy dandridge
Eddie Murphy
Oprah Winfrey
Ruby Dee
Queen Latifah
Denzel Washington
smh

Imm0rt4l

Measley said:
The biggest thing I've noticed is the lack of Asian singers in popular American music. A lot of the major stars in Asia are extremely talented. That Japanese artist who sung the second ending to FMA: Brotherhood had a Youtube video where she sung "Oh Happy Day" in a black church. Girl had some serious pipes.
just saw the video you were talking about. Very talented woman.

Would

I tried Stubbs and really wasn't impressed, have a bottle in my fridge and everything. Best bottled sauce I had was in Alabama, just don't remember the name but it was a local brand and it was gawdamn amazing

lightless_shado said:

...how?

I can understand 1-2, but all four is damn near impossible.

Chitlins? Nay.

Now, Catfish? We're in business.

Top Bottom