• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

ikkemenx

Measley said:
My first Genesis game;

f28dc44652f98b198f8360c675952421-Strider.jpg

The Japanese cover was so much better....

fistpump.gif

Londa

Banned
computers putin' said:
Until Sega gives us Virtua Fighter Final Strike or Shenmue 3, They're dead to me.........

Yakuza and Bayonetta were pretty good though

Now that I have a PS3 I had a chance to try Yakuza 4. OMG I LOVE IT!!

Imm0rt4l said:
Sega might not be dead, but sonic team is.
Hell, even Yuji Naka left.

Yo don't listen to false prophets. They're making a slow and steady comeback
I hope...
. Stay away from Sonic '06 and Sonic 4 though.

Lebron

Devolution said:
Can we all at least agree Church's is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fried chicken?
Yeah, even grocery store bought chicken tends to taste better. Church's is just cheap.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'd say Sega pretty much died when Sammy bought them and killed off AM1, 3,4,5,6,7,8..and so on

Satch

Banned
Devolution said:
Can we all at least agree Church's is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fried chicken?
God fuck it's so fucking bad.

I'm mad at you for even bringing that shit up.

Just some tasteless garbage.

Devolution said:

I agree, but still I like Church's chicken. Hell, I like most chicken I come across. Grilled, baked, fried, chicken nuggets, chicken fingers, boneless wings, whatever; as long as you cook it properly I'll probably eat it.

lightless_shado said:
I bought sonic 06, I owned shadow the hedgehog for a short time, I own sonic unleashed All I have to say to sonic(at least on consoles) is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpF2EH3_T1w&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s
sonic_cry_5_by_bbpopococo-d3ip91y.jpg

dont you kill my dreams.

Oh God, Shadow the Hedgehog. Never mention that game. EVER. Don't do it. I bought it and it was the worst decision ever. I'd rather play 06 three times than have to play Shadow the Hedgehog.

=(

lightless_shado said:
why did he start?

[In//Effect-Mode said:
]You can't just leave us there! You have a long post to submit now after dropping that.

Wow, I'm late but watev's.

He's a Christian preacher and so he says he voted against abortion and later, same-sex marriage. I personally feel that he also voted republican for economic reasons. (He's not exactly hurting financially)

I tried to explain to him that repubs were just pulling at his bigoted heartstrings and that a republican in office would do shitfuck against abortion. (Obviously same-sex marriage is another story)

He's old, so he'll likely never change his social views but with some perserverance, I was able to get him to see how the 'conservative fiscal policies' affect the poor, and disproportionately, blacks in the US. In so many words I told him, 'you already lost the war against the abortions and homosexuals and as you can see the Repubs don't give a southern fuck about God's Will, so you should either vote for your people, or at the very least don't vote against them'. He doesn't vote at all now. More importantly, he doesn't spread his 'vote republican' nonsense to people that will listen to his just because he has a 'Dr' before his name.

Yasae

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
you lost me. maybe you could just tell me what you were attempting to say with the ME pic and the black chick to the right?
Kimberly Jones voiced a white woman and some people were taken aback. It's not unusual to expect someone of the same race as their character to play the role, so I could understand a hint of surprise, but there was plenty of "She sounded white."

On Church's:
Interesting. I only ever eat their (super expensive) chicken strips, and those are full of flavor to me. Their biscuits are fine, too. Maybe the rest isn't so great. *shrugs*

People talking games in this thread on some recklessness.

Let me establish the tier list for y'all.

SNES > *. It is unimpeachable, unassailable. By rights, the only things that can be argued in its class were the PS1 and PS2...and like Emmitt Smith, they only get the cred out of longevity and not solely based on skill.

Genesis was awesome, established Sonic, SOR, Phantasy Star blew up, better sports ports, etc...but SNES beat it in every single relevant way. It had more games, better games, better graphics, better sound, better controller, and so on. So yeah, SNES is on high, laughing at you bitch-ass haters.

Dreamcast was Sega's magnum opus, a love letter to people who LIVE THIS SHIT. It is Sega's SNES-class console. It has a small release list compared to other machines, but that release list is concentrated excellence, like Turkish coffee. It had the best 3rd party ports. It had the best versions of all the current arcade games. It had the best PC ports, often as good as the PC versions. It had Sega at their final best. It asked if you want to play some lucky hit. Would you like to play some lucky hit?

Dreamcast was tragically struck down, and I hate people forever for being complicit in that.

...y'know what, fuck a tier list. SNES, then everything else.

*drops mic*

captmcblack said:
People talking games in this thread on some recklessness.

Let me establish the tier list for y'all.

SNES > *. It is unimpeachable, unassailable. By rights, the only things that can be argued in its class were the PS1 and PS2...and like Emmitt Smith, they only get the cred out of longevity and not solely based on skill.

Genesis was awesome, established Sonic, SOR, Phantasy Star blew up, better sports ports, etc...but SNES beat it in every single relevant way. It had more games, better games, better graphics, better sound, better controller, and so on. So yeah, SNES is on high, laughing at you bitch-ass haters.

Dreamcast was Sega's magnum opus, a love letter to people who LIVE THIS SHIT. It is Sega's SNES-class console. It has a small release list compared to other machines, but that release list is concentrated excellence, like Turkish coffee. It had the best 3rd party ports. It had the best versions of all the current arcade games. It had the best PC ports, often as good as the PC versions. It had Sega at their final best. It asked if you want to play some lucky hit. Would you like to play some lucky hit?

Dreamcast was tragically struck down, and I hate people forever for being complicit in that.

...y'know what, fuck a tier list. SNES, then everything else.

*drops mic*
*picks up mic*
Mortal Kombat had blood on the Genesis
SNES had grey sweat
Case closed
*throws mic out window*

Also Aladin Genesis >>>>>> Aladin SNES

God Tier:
SNES
PS2
Dreamcast

Boss Tier:
NES
PSX

Underboss Tier:
Sega Genesis
Atari 2600
Sega Saturn

Exceptional Tier:
N64
PS3

-The rest.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

Measley said:
Where did I say that lightskinned blacks aren't African American? I simply said that LSBs muiddle racial matters because of their skin advantage.
Measley said:
I've always felt that people who are mixed-race yet consider themselves African-American cause all sorts of havoc in the black community. Why? Because their experience can be quite different than that of African Americans. If one guy looks like Don Cheadle, and the other looks like Michael Ealy, the latter is more likely to get a job, catch a cab, and not get pulled over.
When you say mixed race African Americans are only African Americans because they considerit so is basicly saying they are not real African Americans.

I'm not denying that there are benifits to being a LSB but saying we are respnsible for problems in our community is just wrong.

Bleepey

Measley said:
Yeah, but the majority of blacks in America aren't mixed to the point where they look like Alicia Keys or Smokey Robinson. Because of that issues can get muddled and persist. For example;

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_4_63/ai_n24246405/

and this;

http://diverseeducation.com/article/6306/

This might come as a surprise to you but there are some light-skinned Africans. Who as far as they know or are concerned about are 100% black. My little brother is the same complexion as Chris Brown whilst i am relatively dark skinned. MY mum is dark skinned, one of her sisters can pass off easily as half black if she wanted to. My grandad was really fair and on both sides of my family there are some really fair people. My mum told me she did not understand why people thought my brother was mixed cos my ethnic group often is, and i have seen people joke and smile when they comment on how fair my brother is. One of these guys was dark and the other relatively fair. I don't get it personally but that's something to get into for another day.

ReiGun

Genesis = SNES. I was unfortunate enough to own one and have friendly cousins who have the other so that I never had to choose. Boss like.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Satchwar said:
NOW LOOK, MOTHERFU--

Ah, okay fine.

#PowerStoneSwagOnDeck

damn, powerstone needed a damn online mode. its ridiculous how much people i found played that gem, but especially black-gaf

Bay Maximus said:
God Tier:
SNES
PS2
Dreamcast

Boss Tier:
NES
PSX

Underboss Tier:
Sega Genesis
Atari 2600
Sega Saturn

Exceptional Tier:
N64
PS3

-The rest.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

the 360 shouldnt be on par with the nes and ps1. that is ridiculous

ReiGun said:
Genesis = SNES.

Genesis is a good system no doubt, but the SNES has rpg's widely considered some of the best of all time. The best traditional puzzle game of all time (Tetris Attack) and Super Mario World 1 and 2. Games library-wise there is no contest.

Parallax said:
the 360 shouldnt be on par with the nes and ps1. that is ridiculous

It can be difficult to see the forest for the trees but make no mistake, given the innovations made (easy online, gamerscore points etc.), and well-rounded lineup the 360 will be looked upon favourably historically.

masud

Banned
I once got into a physical altercation with a cousin over snes vs Genesis (was like 8 or 9). I repped Nintendo hard.

Parallax

Bay Maximus said:
It can be difficult to see the forest for the trees but make no mistake, given the innovations made (easy online, gamerscore points etc.), and well-rounded lineup the 360 will be looked upon favourably historically.

what exactly has the gamerscore done for modern gaming?

Parallax said:
damn, powerstone needed a damn online mode. its ridiculous how much people i found played that gem, but especially black-gaf

Oh man I remember telling my friend about it when I say EB games had a gameplay trailer years ago. He said hmm then his head exploded when he got it. My mains were Falcon, Wang Tang and Ryoma respectively. Part 1 had a good balance of traditional 3d mechanics with 2d off the wall concept. One of the fighters I can count on my hand that I can hold my own with anybody.

Parallax

Urban Scholar said:
Oh man I remember telling my friend about it when I say EB games had a gameplay trailer years ago. He said hmm then his head exploded when he got it. My mains were Falcon, Wang Tang and Ryoma respectively. Part 1 had a good balance of traditional 3d mechanics with 2d off the wall concept. One of the fighters I can count on my hand that I can hold my own with anybody.

wang tang and ryoma bro here. the thing i love about the series is the differences in basics between the two games. you got a different experience depending on which game you played. which is why the collection edition needs to be on psn/live. all of the characters from both games being playable across both games was awesome. and it proves just how cheap valgus is in 2 and how cheap pride is in the first one.

Air

Banned
Leave bgaf for a day and come back to find discussion about genesis vs super nintendo. Oh! The nostalgia. At the time I was a SEGA guy. SEGA taught me how to be aware of signs that you're not on the winning team, but they went out with the dreamcast, so its all cool.

Also did somebody mention, powerstone?

Parallax said:
wang tang and ryoma bro here. the thing i love about the series is the differences in basics between the two games. you got a different experience depending on which game you played. which is why the collection edition needs to be on psn/live. all of the characters from both games being playable across both games was awesome. and it proves just how cheap valgus is in 2 and how cheap pride is in the first one.

He a half screen super, a mid screen normal tracking fireball via kick, and a nearly full screen power drive(I would say 2 but jubille fireworks wasn't that far). I loathed playing against him on very hard because the CPU had no problem spamming the above to no end.
I swear if it ever hits online, I'm writing an open letter to neogaf to come at me.

Air said:
Also did somebody mention, powerstone?

OH YEAH!

Parallax

Urban Scholar said:
He a half screen super, a mid screen normal tracking fireball via kick, and a nearly full screen power drive(I would say 2 but jubille fireworks wasn't that far). I loathed playing against him on very hard because the CPU had no problem spamming the above to no end.
I swear if it ever hits online, I'm writing an open letter to neogaf to come at me.

OH YEAH!
See, all that is understandable because he's a boss character. Try to play against a valgus user in 2, and you'll want to pull your hair out. That fucker is like omega rugal in the way that he should always be cpu only. Cheap fucker.

Parallax said:
See, all that is understandable because he's a boss character. Try to play against a valgus user in 2, and you'll want to pull your hair out. That fucker is like omega rugal in the way that he should always be cpu only. Cheap fucker.

Best counter and reaction is getting in their face and go for grabs!

LowerLevel

Sega>Nintendo
Popeye's>KFC but there aren't any Popeye's around these parts... they used to be a few up and down Blue Hill Ave not anymore.

NeoGeo >>>> Genesis/SNES
in cart size

Actually, how many of y'all played this "game" trying to win every system? They probably got like $50 of my allowance money. I couldn't resist though, this picture as a kid probably gave me my first wet dream and shit:

PANDEMONIUM1.jpg

Parallax

soul creator said:
NeoGeo >>>> Genesis/SNES
in cart size

Actually, how many of y'all played this "game" trying to win every system? They probably got like $50 of my allowance money. I couldn't resist though, this picture as a kid probably gave me my first wet dream and shit:

PANDEMONIUM1.jpg

i was next generations and gamepros bitch when it came to these.

Ducarmel

Did anybody every win those?

I always wanted to enter when I was young, but my mom always said no.

edit quick google got me this

The big question, then: Does anyone really win in the end? Answer: Yes, I'd imagine so. Otherwise, as contest director Rick Lund is quick to point out when you email him, the company would not be in business. However, two important little niggles prevent the great majority of people from winning. One, Baindramage can't take responsibility if you receive a round of puzzles after the entry deadline's already passed, and if the Internet is any indication, this happens all the time with this contest (though Lund offers refunds in this case). Second, the final tiebreaker puzzle is much harder than the previous rounds, requiring you to use your own words and fit them into a much larger grid of clues.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/column_game_mag_weaseling_15_y_1.php

I guess people did technically win!

Measley

soundscream said:
When you say mixed race African Americans are only African Americans because they considerit so is basicly saying they are not real African Americans.

All African Americans are African Americans because they consider it so. African American is just a political label. Case in point, you wouldn't consider John Kerry's wife to be the same race as Jesse Jackson. However she is an African American. Honestly she's more African American than Jesse Jackson is.

I'm not denying that there are benifits to being a LSB but saying we are respnsible for problems in our community is just wrong.

:sigh: I never said that LSBs are responsible for the problems in the black community. I said they cause havoc on race issues because of their skin color. Just to be clear, causing havoc on race issues isn't always a bad thing. Barack Obama for example causes havoc on race issues in a variety of ways, and frankly its part of the reason he's currently the president.

Bleepey said:
This might come as a surprise to you but there are some light-skinned Africans.

No, that doesn't surprise me at all. There have been are white, Chinese, olive, etc. Africans on the continent for centuries.

Measley said:
:sigh: I never said that LSBs are responsible for the problems in the black community. I said they cause havoc on race issues because of their skin color. Just to be clear, causing havoc on race issues isn't always a bad thing. Barack Obama for example causes havoc on race issues in a variety of ways, and frankly its part of the reason he's currently the president.

Measley said:
I've always felt that people who are mixed-race yet consider themselves African-American cause all sorts of havoc in the black community.

You said the black community not race issues.

Why? Because their experience can be quite different than that of African Americans. If one guy looks like Don Cheadle, and the other looks like Michael Ealy, the latter is more likely to get a job, catch a cab, and not get pulled over.

I love how you can theorize all this where my actual life experience proves you 100% incorrect. But I have a felling you wont believe or listen to what I am saying so what ever.

Parallax

spindashing said:
This motherfucker brought in a NeoGeo in the Genesis x SNES war...

now thats a side i can retroactively get behind. although my young self would probably curse me for siding with the enemy.

LowerLevel said:
Not sure if was asked but what is everyone's beer of choice, if you drink beer? Only ask because my wife's (Jamaican) family lives and dies by friggin Heineken! Not even Red Stripe...
i don't drink beer. i consume many other forms of liquor though!

Londa said:
I want to know why people don't know that the SNES is far superior than the Genesis? Smh!
JFup4.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I remember growing up and staring at the Neo*Geo box lovingly at my local babbage's...good times.

*goes to ebay*

soul creator said:
NeoGeo >>>> Genesis/SNES
in cart size

PANDEMONIUM1.jpg
Oh shit I remember this..every month in Gamepro lol

Top Bottom