• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
lightless_shado said:
It was a mixture of things. Culture, religion, and race. The northern sudanese are either arabs or afro-arabs. This is of course very ironic considering that in ancient times everyone in sudan was as black as those living in the south. It was basically a completely different country to begin with. I do agree that if it was a richer country it might not be that much of a problem. Quebec is very different from the rest of Canada, yet even after a referendum the Quebecois decided to stay as part of Canada. I would argue that it's because of the money that the federal government was throwing at that province.

The problem with many African countries is poor government. The resources are there, the manpower is there, but there are really shitty people at the top that only look out for number 1. I'm hoping the north doesn't invade the south, but it will not surprise me
From what I've read about Sudan, the physiological appearance typically found in Northern Sudan has always been there throughout history.

Londa

Banned
ignore the thread, its just a bunch of people pretending to know more than they actually do because they have access to google. Most of them do not know what it's like first hand.

Measley

Londa said:
ignore the thread, its just a bunch of people pretending to know more than they actually do because they have access to google. Most of them do not know what it's like first hand.

Very true. My wife is white and honestly its like night and day. Case in point, she got busted shoplifting once, and the security guard just giggled like an idiot and told her to put the stuff back.

Meanwhile my brother, who is in the damn U.S. Air Force was just browsing in a Walmart and security asked him to come to the back with them. These morons said that a dude who makes close to six figures was stealing shit from Walmart, and threatened to call the cops on him. My brother didn't steal anything, but he still had to empty his pockets to prove that he was innocent. They apologized and gave him a gift card for all the crap he went through, but he shouldn't have had to gone through it in the first place.

If you're not black, you just don't get it.

I kind of wish I stayed out of that thread, now. Stupid curiousity. :( In general, I find myself staying out of the OT and threads that deal with "race"/sexuality/religion/etc. in general, because I only end up with a deep-seeded feeling of frustration and tempered anger.

People are so unwilling to see the unfair privileges they have (and god forbid that they'd give that up so everyone can be taken care of and be given an equal chance in life), and rather steep themselves in ignorance instead of educating themselves.

What Measley mentioned about his wife is something I think of and notice often. For example, a crying and panick-stricken black boy who had lost his transfer when trying to take a bus home got told, "Do you think you can just hitch a ride for free?" whereas I didn't get reprimanded at all (unless a smile counts) when I didn't have enough for the bus fare.

Clearly, it is just a matter of "working harder". Everyone is obviously born into an equally deep pit of social inequality from where escape is nary a dream.

It seems that every time I post in this thread, it's about something like this. Sorry. :(

Londa

Banned
Everytime someone black mentions anything unfair that happened to them or to black people as a whole, gaf cries oppression olympics. But any other group outside of blacks are not called out for playing oppression olympics.

DoomXploder7 said:
I'm so glad I avoided that thread now, though my bile fascination is urging me to check that thread out now....must resist.
Save yourself the anguish. :(

Londa said:
Everytime someone black mentions anything unfair that happened to them or to black people as a whole, gaf cries oppression olympics. But any other group outside of blacks are not called out for playing oppression olympics.
For what it's worth, I've only seen this happen when certain people have said that the gay rights movement has as much in common with the black civil rights movement as it does the Holocaust. (Which means to say, not at all.)

I personally believe that the inequalities of all groups are intrinsically linked, and that to combat one, we must combat them all, which is why the injustice suffered by one group is of everyone's concern. I also believe that no matter the extent of the inequality, it should not be acceptable. While perhaps not strictly relevant to that point, I liken it to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s quote of, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Londa said:

I know what you mean but IMO, I think that has a lot to do with built-in resentment over the constant and persistent repeating of what went down in the past. Apparently, Blacks in the US need to get over the injustices of the past and stop using it as an excuse and just pull themselves up.

Londa

Banned
Necromanti said:
Save yourself the anguish. :(

For what it's worth, I've only seen this happen when certain people have said that the gay rights movement has as much in common with the black civil rights movement as it does the Holocaust. (Which means to say, not at all.)

I personally believe that the inequalities of all groups are intrinsically linked, and that to combat one, we must combat them all, which is why the injustice suffered by one group is of everyone's concern. I also believe that no matter the extent of the inequality, it should not be acceptable. While perhaps not strictly relevant to that point, I liken it to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s quote of, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
But does crying opression olympic's solve anything? Also I rather not talk about what happens in gay threads in here please.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
why are you guys wasting your time with that thread? just looking at the last page showed me all i needed to see from it.

Air

Banned
I wanted to write something in that economic thread, but it seemed like an explosive barrel. Looks like I have another addition to "topics I probably wont participate on gaf"

Le sigh

Londa said:
Go eat a cobweb
Sorry everything I eat is FRESH.

Air said:
I wanted to write something in that economic thread, but it seemed like an explosive barrel. Looks like I have another addition to "topics I probably wont participate on gaf"

Le sigh
Parallax said:
why are you guys wasting your time with that thread? just looking at the last page showed me all i needed to see from it.
Because if we don't represent who is going to represent for you? They will think, "oh well no one challenged my ignorant unknowingly racist views...I guess they are right!!"

Londa

Banned
MWS Natural said:

Because if we don't represent who is going to represent for you? They will think, "oh well no one challenged my ignorant unknowingly racist views...I guess they are right!!"
Lol stop lying you know you like spiders and shit.

Gamer98

Banned
MWS Natural said:

They do either way.

MWS Natural said:
Good luck with proving someone on the internet that they are wrong. It's a frustrating battle.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
MWS Natural said:

you say that as if we have the ability to change anyones mindview on the subject. we have had a few black related threads since our gathering, and they have always ended badly, so much so that we have supposedly become a hivemind to these things, even though to us it seems obvious why we think the way we do. and everytime i see the phrase oppression olympics, i lose rational logic to care, since thats the equivalent of plugging ones ears and chanting.

how do we combat people thinking in such a manner?

I have seen some people educated and change some of their views before. When I first started posting on GAF many didn't even know what White Privilege was. I know it can get frustrating but just giving up and letting ignorance reign isn't the solution.

Londa

Banned
MWS Natural said:
I have seen some people educated and change some of their views before. When I first started posting on GAF many didn't even know what White Privilege was. I know it can get frustrating but just giving up and letting ignorance reign isn't the solution.
Naw I'm already in peoples mouths enough. Not trying to gain gaf fame.

Mr. Patch

That economic thread is just... blah.

And I swear one of the posters in that thread only talks about black women whenever I see him post. Normally they post links to some sargwp video...

Imm0rt4l

Mr. Patch said:
That economic thread is just... blah.

And I swear one of the posters in that thread only talks about black women whenever I see him post. Normally they post links to some sargwp video...
for a non black to post a video like that......hell for anyone to post a video like that in a thread about social economic disparity between whites and blacks kinda seems ingenuous. Its like having a ulterior motive, which is to vindicate their own personal bias against blacks. "hey looks this black guy doesn't like black women, why should anybody?". it's really not that simple.

MWS Natural said:

It isn't, but there are venues where to do it. I try to stay out of threads like that because the ignorance can get really annoying, and I have shit to do.

Imm0rt4l

So Spike Lee is is officially directing oldboy. Of course a lot of people don't like that. Lee isn't one of the my favorite directors by any means but I feel he gets way more hate than he deserves.

LowerLevel

Man my curiosity got the better of me... (sigh)

Anyways, yes Spike does get too much flak and really for no good reason. Miracle at St Anna was actually a decent movie. But shame on him for actually portraying "colored" soldiers in a semi-positive light. And I'd be very curious if something like She Hate Me could actually happen?

Imm0rt4l said:
So Spike Lee is is officially directing oldboy. Of course a lot of people don't like that. Lee isn't one of the my favorite directors by any means but I feel he gets way more hate than he deserves.

That's still being adapted?!

Damnit hollywood stop taking from the east. But since the departed was adapted from an acclaimed Asian movie and it got an oscar win, then if spike does a good job adapting the story then he could become one of the few black directors to win an Academy award.

Imm0rt4l

lightless_shado said:
That's still being adapted?!

Damnit hollywood stop taking from the east. But since the departed was adapted from an acclaimed Asian movie and it got an oscar win, then if spike does a good job adapting the story then he could become one of the few black directors to win an Academy award.
yea it being adapted, I never read the manga (which is apparently what is being adapted) but the movie remains one of my favorite Asian films of all time.

Really glad Spike locked down Oldboy.

So many directors, actors, and producers with a lot less talent then him have bombs and come out clean. He's been blackballed for far too long after Miracle. Can't wait to see this.

Yasae

Banned
Gamer98 said:
Im just waiting for things to change I'm not paying any money to go see a movie because its all racially catered to white people who are now a minority but they pretend like in every movie they ever fucking make that the world is full of them. And if your not your just a prop. Fuck them fuck it all. I've been the butt of so many jokes because of white people and how they portray black people in movies. All my white friends think I'm cynical as fuck but I have a fucking reason to be. And Tyler Perry is a closet gay.
Lol. Don't know about him being gay, but it seems to me he's what's wrong with black culture. Him, Oprah, Tyra... Ugh.

My experience has been that, typically, there is more racism in white middle and upper class societies. It can get really bad in certain areas the further up you go. I remember my grandma using the 'n' word often when referring to black folks. I was really ashamed. You can be old and set in your ways, but there's no excuse for that garbage.

My mother had me out of wedlock when she was 36 and my father ran off as fast as he could, so I wasn't born into privileged roots. Most of my family didn't really like that, and have been insidiously classist ever since.

It made me feel a light shade of brown sometimes - not that I'm making a comparison, I can't - but their discrimination came out of nowhere just the same. Where the fuck did they get off? What made them so special? Nothing. They were just there; white folks, judge/jury/executioners since they (never really) plowed the fields way back when. They didn't want to give any attention to that poor, crazy lady who had a son and went off and did things her own way. No, that wasn't very white of her, can't have that.

Some people just won't get over losing all that evil power. I didn't really care for what I never had.

Kitschkraft said:
Really glad Spike locked down Oldboy.

So many directors, actors, and producers with a lot less talent then him have bombs and come out clean. He's been blackballed for far too long after Miracle. Can't wait to see this.
this is a fascinating development.

hope he does it justice.

Top Bottom