• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I know that feel bro. I initially lived in a pretty multicultural area of town till I was 10. The School I went to was literally an even mix of every race you can think of. I wasn't that exposed to people being racist/stereotypical as my school was so diverse. When I moved to the heavily white/asian part of town in grade 6 I got punched in the face by stupid stereotypical/racist comments. All the white kids would always say that I was acting white and that I should act more black. Pretty much meaning I should be a gangster and talk ghetto. Fuck, I hated that school...

Whenever someone says to stop acting white, or act more black I literally feel like punching them in the face. What the fuck is acting black even supposed to mean? I'm not supposed to act like myself, but instead how you think a black person should act? It's even worse that this shit mostly goes on in elementary/high school, as I'm 100% sure there are a lot of black people that get this shit and then actually proceed to act like how those people expect them to act. smfh

When I was younger, I received that nonsense from black kids. I probably would have been floored if white kids said that to me as well.

It's my number 1 tourist destination. I'd totally live there too if I could learn the language. I've been looking to teach abroad there after I finish my undergrad, but it seems like Korea is all the rage now in terms of placement programs.

I would like to visit Japan for the Visuals and the culture shock but I find Korean women more attractive for the most part.

If you do i'll be happy to answer your questions. I've been pretty much all over except South America and East Asia. I will say one thing. You're at a HUGE advantage as a Black American as opposed to an African.

That bad for africans, huh?

Me too. I'll be going there next month a friend already has sex lined up for me. Of course, that's not why i'm going. Hoping to get onto the JET programme for next year.

I used to read a blog years ago about a Black American dude in Japan. It was so funny and interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is

Start right at the start and work your way up.

I want to visit, but I did research on what it took to live there, and I really wasn't impressed. I always had a dream of globetrotting and living in various countries across the world but from people I talked to and stories I read, killed that dream quick. So Japan still remains one of the top places that I want to visit but I am not expecting the best attitude towards me from the natives.

Onemic

I want to visit, but I did research on what it took to live there, and I really wasn't impressed. I always had a dream of globetrotting and living in various countries across the world but from people I talked to and stories I read, killed that dream quick. So Japan still remains one of the top places that I want to visit but I am not expecting the best attitude towards me from the natives.

Now I'm getting conflicting stories. So do Japanese people hate us or love our dicks?

IceCold

My Japanese teacher in high school was like H you would get so much ass in Japan. Too bad I've never made it and forgot almost all the Japanese I learned.

On Vice, there was a video where the guy (white dude) goes to Japan to check out some weird brothels and stuff. The Japanese guide told him that he would have to pay a premium if he wanted to bang some of the women since, apparently, white people have bigger dicks than Asians.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Now I'm getting conflicting stories. So do Japanese people hate us or love our dicks?

When I was over there, they loved me. Some stopped to talk (in English) to me, others shook my hand. Some (of course) wanted to touch my hair.

Dunno about my dick though

FreeMufasa

Yeah well unfortunately she also told me that if any woman ever did fuck a black guy in Turkey (even though there aren't any) she would probably be killed if anyone found out.

Fucking hell :lol

Although it makes sense now. I had a Turkish guy friend at uni and we were really close. But he would get super pissed if I talked to a Turkish girl (despite him having a gf) or said something like "She looks nice".

Also another few words of advice. NEVER call someone that's not black, black. I did and almost got beaten up for it. I can't remember what it was about but I was talking to an Indian dude and I said something like "But you're also black". He suddenly switched on me and started screaming "NO I'M NOT!". He ended up grabbing me by the collar and I was all "just chill man". I knew he was Indian but he was a lot darker than me and had a wide nose.

I never knew it was so bad to be black at the time lol. To be fair, I used to think black was a skin colour and not having some African ancestry.

I know that feel bro. I initially lived in a pretty multicultural area of town till I was 10. The School I went to was literally an even mix of every race you can think of. I wasn't that exposed to people being racist/stereotypical as my school was so diverse. When I moved to the heavily white/asian part of town in grade 6 I got punched in the face by stupid stereotypical/racist comments. All the white kids would always say that I was acting white and that I should act more black. Pretty much meaning I should be a gangster and talk ghetto. Fuck, I hated that school...

Whenever someone says to stop acting white, or act more black I literally feel like punching them in the face. What the fuck is acting black even supposed to mean? I'm not supposed to act like myself, but instead how you think a black person should act? It's even worse that this shit mostly goes on in elementary/high school, as I'm 100% sure there are a lot of black people that get this shit and then actually proceed to act like how those people expect them to act. smfh

This happened to me a lot in middle school. I grew up in a pretty white neighbourhood in a small town, plus my parents sent me across town to an even whiter neighbourhood for school (where I was literally the only non-white kid). Then in middle school we moved to a real city and suddenly there were tons more black kids. But lol, they were fine with whatever way I acted. It was only the white kids saying shit like "Even I'm more black than you!!" It was messed up, and I actually tried acting more "black" for a couple of years.

justjohn

Fucking hell :lol

Although it makes sense now. I had a Turkish guy friend at uni and we were really close. But he would get super pissed if I talked to a Turkish girl (despite him having a gf) or said something like "She looks nice".

Also another few words of advice. NEVER call someone that's not black, black. I did and almost got beaten up for it. I can't remember what it was about but I was talking to an Indian dude and I said something like "But you're also black". He suddenly switched on me and started screaming "NO I'M NOT!". He ended up grabbing me by the collar and I was all "just chill man". I knew he was Indian but he was a lot darker than me and had a wide nose.

I never knew it was so bad to be black at the time lol. To be fair, I used to think black was a skin colour and not having some African ancestry.
You must be very soft for some Indian dude to manhandle you like this.

God, that "acting Black" nonsense. I think I was more annoyed when kids in my old middle school thought they had to act "black" in order to communicate or socialize with me.

I probably got check out Japan, though. I mean, I'm already in Hawaii; it's only a few hours away.

Bleepey

lol I knew a black dude at work many years who would rock 3 Doors Down shirts. I always wondered if he caught flack from the jordan and fubu wearing dudes down the hall.

I know a black dude who went to the Afro caribean society and got looks cos he wore a Slaye t shirt and dressed like a rocker. He saw it as pretty dumb cos he was like what's the point of this society if you're gonna shit on a guy cos of his clothes.

When I was in high school I would always have to hear something when I wore Old Navy instead of Sean jean or something. It never really bothered me though. I still rock Old navy and it's cheap too!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
God, that "acting Black" nonsense. I think I was more annoyed when kids in my old middle school thought they had to act "black" in order to communicate or socialize with me.

I probably got check out Japan, though. I mean, I'm already in Hawaii; it's only a few hours away.

Acting "Hip Hop" is more appropriate.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the only thing that i really rocked in high school was this heavy black carhartt jacket. that thing was like kevlar, and handy as hell too.

Onemic

This happened to me a lot in middle school. I grew up in a pretty white neighbourhood in a small town, plus my parents sent me across town to an even whiter neighbourhood for school (where I was literally the only non-white kid). Then in middle school we moved to a real city and suddenly there were tons more black kids. But lol, they were fine with whatever way I acted. It was only the white kids saying shit like "Even I'm more black than you!!" It was messed up, and I actually tried acting more "black" for a couple of years.

Me and my brother were literally the only black kids at that elementary school. There were two other black kids, a brother and sister about 2 years younger than me that came the same year as us, but they left before the end of the year because they were being heckled for being black by their classmates. It was such a change of pace from the diverse school we went to before. I really believe going there has negatively affected me growing up to this day.

the only thing that i really rocked in high school was this heavy black carhartt jacket. that thing was like kevlar, and handy as hell too.

You must have went to highschool in 04 or 05 then, I actually remember construction jackets being in style in my city during that time lol. I had a tan Carhartt myself, and I gotta say, it's one durable jacket; I still got it in my closet and it barely shows any wear or tear even after 8 years.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You must have went to highschool in 04 or 05 then, I actually remember construction jackets being in style in my city during that time lol. I had a tan Carhartt myself, and I gotta say, it's one durable jacket; I still got it in my closet and it barely shows any wear or tear even after 8 years.
My last year was 03. But yeah, id like to think I was a trendsetter in that regard. That company makes some awesome heavy apparel. Mine is pretty tattered due to the use, but apparently that's in style now because some dude asked me how much I paid for it and where I got it...

somewhere in Ajax

Cool, i'm somewhere in ajax. If I hear black brit in my vicinity.. as those are rare, i'll say BC-GAF represent. you must then nod.
grin.gif

Baby Milo

i wore supreme,nike,lacoste,polo in hs

i can look back on my old pics from the early 2000's and not be embarrassed. all that shit is still cool nowadays besides bape i guess.

i wore supreme,nike,lacoste,polo in hs

i can look back on my old pics from the early 2000's and not be embarrassed. all that shit is still cool nowadays besides bape i guess.

Wish my parents had money like that. The best I got my the knock off Polo brand CHAPS. I was so happy though, they were the nicest clothes I ever got and I could always say, "It's still Ralph Lauren though
LLShC.gif
!!!!" if they checked my tag (yes kids checked tags back then and you got clowned if you had some walmart brand shit on).

Wish my parents had money like that. The best I got my the knock off Polo brand CHAPS. I was so happy though, they were the nicest clothes I ever got and I could always say, "It's still Ralph Lauren though
LLShC.gif
!!!!" if they checked my tag (yes kids checked tags back then and you got clowned if you had some walmart brand shit on).

lol yeah, there would always be one or two dudes in class whose sole focus in class was to roast someone donning some illegitimage apparel. I stayed begging for something in Marshalls or Burlington. They may have been company rejects, but they were still name brand. hatersgonnahate

lol yeah, there would always be one or two dudes in class whose sole focus in class was to roast someone donning some illegitimage apparel. I stayed begging for something in Marshalls or Burlington. They may have been company rejects, but they were still name brand. hatersgonnahate

I love burlington. Can't find a good reason to do my clothes shopping anywhere else.

Onemic

Well, if I see you wearing Exco, you're probably due for some roasting.

Top Bottom