• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Onemic

Question for Black-Gaf mainly directed at those who don't live in the US, but those who do can weigh in on it as well if they like.
Do you get offended by stereotypes attributed to Black Americans directed at yourself?
I've noticed recently that people are surprised that i speak so well, like the music i like, don't dress in the 'gangsta' mold even though the majority of blacks be they African or Indigenous people in Australia don't follow those stereotypes either.

Whenever someone mentions the Chicken or Watermelon thing i'm a bit bemused by it as i dont see how it would be offensive to an Eritrean living in comfortable middle-class in Melbourne who has never ever been to the US but i would understand how it would be to someone who was born and raised in the US.
Even the word nigger to me is unusual, if i was to ever be called that im not really sure how i'd feel. I know how i would feel if i was called a black cunt but nigger i really don't know.

Considering I'm from Toronto I'm expected to act like a ghetto black dude from the US. It's sort of amusing when I say I don't like watermelon or grape drink and people are like, "but I thought all black people like that!" Orange bitches.

And technically I should like the bills, but fuck em. It's all about the niners.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Considering I'm from Toronto I'm expected to act like a ghetto black dude from the US. It's sort of amusing when I say I don't like watermelon or grape drink and people are like, "but I thought all black people like that!" Orange bitches.

And technically I should like the bills, but fuck em. It's all about the niners.

Orange/Grape are like 1a 1b of black drinks..

I'm more disturbed by those header images. I wanna see the planning for that shit

"Get me some Dollar Tree glasses, a pixel art necklace, a chili bowl haircut, and meet me in the garage. C'MON, Ed!"

Came up in 2nd BEST-Gaf. Anybody watching this?

think_like_a_man_movie_2.jpg

Damn I love me some Ms. Henson, she made sit through baby boy just for her scenes

I've still never seen a Tyler Perry movie, just the boondocks and south park episodes that make fun of him. Is it something I need to watch to truly get the disgust people have for him?

Basically, same shit different movie, black stereotypes, church, big mama, some kind of illness, cheating spouses drug refernces, and bastard kids. Oh and angry black women

Derwind

Really? Where abouts from Toronto(Etobicoke, Scarborough..ect...)? I've never felt like people had expectations of me to fill the role of a stereotype "Black" guy...

Btw Orange Crush is strictly an East African stereotype!!!!

Bleepey

Question for Black-Gaf mainly directed at those who don't live in the US, but those who do can weigh in on it as well if they like.
Do you get offended by stereotypes attributed to Black Americans directed at yourself?
I've noticed recently that people are surprised that i speak so well, like the music i like, don't dress in the 'gangsta' mold even though the majority of blacks be they African or Indigenous people in Australia don't follow those stereotypes either.

Whenever someone mentions the Chicken or Watermelon thing i'm a bit bemused by it as i dont see how it would be offensive to an Eritrean living in comfortable middle-class in Melbourne who has never ever been to the US but i would understand how it would be to someone who was born and raised in the US.
Even the word nigger to me is unusual, if i was to ever be called that im not really sure how i'd feel. I know how i would feel if i was called a black cunt but nigger i really don't know.

A few Asian-Australian girls i know with a thing for black guys complain there are none of us over there. Is it next to impossible to see a black guy in Oz?

A few Asian-Australian girls i know with a thing for black guys complain there are none of us over there. Is it next to impossible to see a black guy in Oz?

Not that common but if you live in a major city you shouldn't have a problem finding any. The majority would be in the commission housing flats (I guess you would call them projects in the US) because they are newly arrived refugees.

Onemic

Really? Where abouts from Toronto(Etobicoke, Scarborough..ect...)? I've never felt like people had expectations of me to fill the role of a stereotype "Black" guy...

Btw Orange Crush is strictly an East African stereotype!!!!

GTA area, Markham specifically. When I moved to the Unionville area, which was far less diverse I got it all the time. A few times at Yorku too.

DominoKid

very much so lol

this seems to be a hot button issue every year around jackie robinson day or at least they (ESPN) tries to make it one.
but am i the only one who doesnt think its a big deal that black people don't play baseball anymore?

Onemic

very much so lol

this seems to be a hot button issue every year around jackie robinson day or at least they (ESPN) tries to make it one.
but am i the only one who doesnt think its a big deal that black people don't play baseball anymore?

Why is it a hot button issue? Who cares.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
1. Yes, I did get my haircut as a wee lad in a perfect replica of Bobby Brown in "Every Little Step".
2. Yes, there are pictures.
3. Not on your goddamn life.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
1. Yes, I did get my haircut as a wee lad in a perfect replica of Bobby Brown in "Every Little Step".
2. Yes, there are pictures.
3. Not on your goddamn life.

weve all got our secret shames. i had a duck tail as a kid... an a mass collection of cosby sweaters....

Top Bottom