• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

sciplore

MWS Natural said:
I saw The Best Man the other day and remember how I actually enjoyed black films before the Tyler Perry Era.

Aww stop it with that tyler perry is ruining black films shit. Yea they are repetitive, predictable and at times just so cringe-inducing but he is bringing black film makers to the scene and that is all that matters. Plus it can give the black indie scene a chance to grow now.

DY_nasty said:
where the fuck is himuro?
Ladies and Gentlemen, the king has left the building :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MWS Natural said:
I saw The Best Man the other day and remember how I actually enjoyed black films before the Tyler Perry Era.
Loved that movie.

The Wood is still one of my favs too

tmdorsey

sciplore said:
Aww stop it with that tyler perry is ruining black films shit. Yea they are repetitive, predictable and at times just so cringe-inducing but he is bringing black film makers to the scene and that is all that matters. Plus it can give the black indie scene a chance to grow now.

Naw, he is ruining it because the black film makers are going to churn out the same type of movies and scripts because Tyler Perry's shit is selling tickets. It won't end though until his prime demographic (black women) get tired of the same 'ol same 'ol and stop going to see his movies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I was just talking to me friend the other day about this... Black stars not doing "black stuff" with an all black cast is the kiss of death for a TV show and most movies.. Will Smith and Denzel aside..

The Lost, Alias, Fringe guy, JJ, has never missed.. every show has been nothing but solid gold, money printing shows.. and makes a spy show starring a black couple and canned 5 episodes in.. :lol

Blackace said:
I was just talking to me friend the other day about this... Black stars not doing "black stuff" with an all black cast is the kiss of death for a TV show and most movies.. Will Smith and Denzel aside..

The Lost, Alias, Fringe guy, JJ, has never missed.. every show has been nothing but solid gold, money printing shows.. and makes a spy show starring a black couple and canned 5 episodes in.. :lol

Thats not really surprising, but its still pretty disappointing especially when you consider that at times black shows were loved by many Americans
Life-Magazine-1985-06.jpg

1992-12211503-lgn.jpg

What happened?

I only watched one episode of Undercovers.

It felt cheesy. Too light-hearted.

But I'd smash Gugu Mbatha-Raw's ass with the fury of a thousand Persian Gods.

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
I only watched one episode of Undercovers.

It felt cheesy. Too light-hearted.

But I'd smash Gugu Mbatha-Raw's ass with the fury of a thousand Persian Gods.

None of JJ's shows are really all that hot off the bat.. Lost, Alias and Fringe if based off the first few episodes aren't that hot..

Blackace

lightless_shado said:
Thats not really surprising, but its still pretty disappointing especially when you consider that at times black shows were loved by many Americans
Life-Magazine-1985-06.jpg

1992-12211503-lgn.jpg

What happened?

Cosby show was really really something out of the normal..

The Fresh Prince was a lot of shucking and jiving until Will started getting real clout..

Don't forget about A Different World and 227.

Blackace said:
None of JJ's shows are really all that hot off the bat.. Lost, Alias and Fringe if based off the first few episodes aren't that hot..
I recorded the season. Just never felt too compelled to go back and watch, though I will at some point. They were just...too sweet to be spies. lol. I need spies to be cool and basses, not cute and pinch-able, saying "honey..." constantly.

I would have liked to see the show continue, but yea.

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
I recorded the season. Just never felt too compelled to go back and watch, though I will at some point. They were just...too sweet to be spies. lol. I need spies to be cool and basses, not cute and pinch-able, saying "honey..." constantly.

Worked for Mr. & Mrs. Smith..

Blackace said:
Cosby show was really really something out of the normal..

The Fresh Prince was a lot of shucking and jiving until Will started getting real clout..

But still, consider how long they lasted compared to how long Black shows last now a days. Which is the longest running one since 2000?

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
Wasn't the same. Mr. And. Mrs. Smith had funny moments, but never did anyone come off as soft. Not ever.

I don't really agree with the "soft" statement, but whatever.. All I am saying is pretty much having black stars (or pretty much anyone but a white star) as your main star on a non-WB channel is the kiss of death unless they are "acting black"..

Even Fringe.. Broyles has lilke four lines each show "You ok?" "Go!"

I love me some TV dramas and would like to see a show with a black star as the main and just doing something like being a spy, a hero or whatever..

Blackace

lightless_shado said:
But still, consider how long they lasted compared to how long Black shows last now a days. Which is the longest running one since 2000?

I don't disagree.. I guess the point I was trying to make tho is you have to be a "black show" if you are using blacks as the main character..

Imm0rt4l

Anybody know whats up with Himuro?
Blackace said:

I call it the UPN effect.

Blackace said:
I don't disagree.. I guess the point I was trying to make tho is you have to be a "black show" if you are using blacks as the main character..

I get what you mean. But what about girlfriends? they sort of tried to sidestep that idea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247102/

I didn't watch many episodes of it, but the episodes that I did catch seemed pretty decent.

Here's a clip for those who may not have seen it or heard about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmkTcUlWCc&feature=related

Nameless

I would have watched Undercovers had the show featured any actor other than Boris Kodjoe. Can't stand that motherfucker.

Blackace said:
I don't really agree with the "soft" statement, but whatever.. All I am saying is pretty much having black stars (or pretty much anyone but a white star) as your main star on a non-WB channel is the kiss of death unless they are "acting black"..

Even Fringe.. Broyles has lilke four lines each show "You ok?" "Go!"

I love me some TV dramas and would like to see a show with a black star as the main and just doing something like being a spy, a hero or whatever..
I haven't watched Fringe so I can't speak on it. But in the case of Undercovers, I simply think a spy series needs to do 3 things:

1.) Have good looking leads.

2.) Have locations that people will be amazed by.

3.) Have leads that give off an aura of badassery.

The show had #1 and #2 but not #3. You don't care about #3, but that is the precise thing that keeps me coming back. That untouchable vibe that someone with a dozen years of covert op training should exude. Maybe the problem was with the leads. Maybe it was the writers. Either way, they came off as a couple that spent more time smiling and addressing where the love has gone than kicking ass. and even when they were kicking ass, it felt forced or unrealistic.

it just didn't work for me. I don't think it was a black thing, and with better leads and/or writing, it probably would have had staying power.

though being black didn't help and will never hellp...the show had more issues than the race of their lead actors. but I only watched the first episode...so if that mood changed over the course of the season, I wouldn't know (yet).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
BloodySinner said:
Can someone explain to me who this weird ass looking individual is? I can't even tell if this image have been Photoshop'd or not.

What the fuck?! :lol :lol

bdizzle used to have this dude as an avatar :lol

Nameless

lightless_shado said:
I get what you mean. But what about girlfriends? they sort of tried to sidestep that idea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247102/

I didn't watch many episodes of it, but the episodes that I did catch seemed pretty decent.

Here's a clip for those who may not have seen it or heard about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmkTcUlWCc&feature=related

We've discussed Girlfriends a bit in this thread. It's very much a "black show".

I agree that shows & movies star black actors/actresses doing something stereotypically out of the box have one foot in the grave from the start unless that star is one of the few transcendent black people in Hollywood.

I would be curious to see this tested with a proven mega-popular franchise; Too bad ole boy didn't get Spiderman.

Just ordered a bunch of dope posters off ebay for my new room.

1. Diana Ross- gorgeous shot of her head
2. Diana Ross + Supremes on stage, 60s era.
3. Roger Troutman- European tour poster
4. Earth Wind and Fire large poster
5. Marvin Gaye on stage- gorgeous black and white
6. Debbie Harry looking trashy and delicious
7. James Brown posing in front of a car with two afro chicks.

Once I get these framed up all nice and combined with my Betty Davis poster I'll have a funked out den of awesomeness.

Blackace

Nameless said:
We've discussed Girlfriends a bit in this thread. It's very much a "black show".

I agree that shows & movies star black actors/actresses doing something stereotypically out of the box have one foot in the grave from the start unless that star is one of the few transcendent black people in Hollywood.

I would be curious to see this tested with a proven mega-popular franchise; Too bad ole boy didn't get Spiderman.

looking at GAF and Will Smith as Captain America almost made the servers explode.. and Stringer Bell from the Wire as James Bond almost made GAF cry.

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
I haven't watched Fringe so I can't speak on it. But in the case of Undercovers, I simply think a spy series needs to do 3 things:

1.) Have good looking leads.

2.) Have locations that people will be amazed by.

3.) Have leads that give off an aura of badassery.

The show had #1 and #2 but not #3. You don't care about #3, but that is the precise thing that keeps me coming back. That untouchable vibe that someone with a dozen years of covert op training should exude. Maybe the problem was with the leads. Maybe it was the writers. Either way, they came off as a couple that spent more time smiling and addressing where the love has gone than kicking ass. and even when they were kicking ass, it felt forced or unrealistic.

it just didn't work for me. I don't think it was a black thing, and with better leads and/or writing, it probably would have had staying power.

though being black didn't help and will never hellp...the show had more issues than the race of their lead actors. but I only watched the first episode...so if that mood changed over the course of the season, I wouldn't know (yet).

Well I love Burn Notice and the lead gives a lot of that badass feeling while being a huge softy.. he also has the A-Team effect where he don't really kill anyone.. And the show is a fairly good hit, I like it a lot.. the pilot wasn't too strong and the First season wasn't mind blowing.. Season 2 rocked and 3 is really awesome..

Shows need to mature a bit..

I don't think the show failed solely based on the fact that the leads were black but it wasn't given much of a chance because of it..

I wonder if we'll ever see another quality black sitcom that has longevity.

Not to hate on Tyler Perry but his shows are pretty horrible. Even my mom, who likes most of his work, thinks it's pretty bad. I also saw Martin produced a tv show with the girl from Fresh Prince and it lasted less than 5 episodes I think. Then there's Ice Cube's show which I haven't even bothered to look at. It's pretty sad really.

Lebron

Blackace said:

Another chance for me to post my Black Acting School video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKX4LktBI5o

If you don't act Black, you won't last long. That's the key to make it.

The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop
c3cVS.jpg

Hardcover: 672 pages
Publisher: NAL Hardcover (December 7, 2010)

Rolling Stone gave it 3 Stars

spindashing said:
Damn it, he could have at least let some of us know. I started getting too worried. =(

Ah well, I hope he returns in some shape or form. I hope he is doing well.

Oh I suspect brother Himuro will return when those obscure RPGs start rolling out.

JGS

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Don't forget about A Different World and 227.

That was my problem with them. If they had made a black Alias it would have been a hit or at least I would have loved it.

Black comedies are going to be hard to come by imo. There just anyone too terribly funny out therethat would fit a sitcome. The closest one was Hughley or Wayan's show. It'll have to be something that comes completely by surprise.

Fuck razorbumps.

I'm pretty much cursed with this shit for the rest of my life. Rarely do I a achieve close shaving around my neck area without bumps appearing just days later. Bullshit.

Tokubetsu

BloodySinner said:
Fuck razorbumps.

I'm pretty much cursed with this shit for the rest of my life. Rarely do I a achieve close shaving around my neck area without bumps appearing just days later. Bullshit.

I find that It's just impossible for me to against the grain with shaving. There is just a level of closeness I'll never achieve short of a straight razor.

Tokubetsu said:
I find that It's just impossible for me to against the grain with shaving. There is just a level of closeness I'll never achieve short of a straight razor.

At least you have a direction of travel to follow! :lol

My neck is the worst. Whether I'm going up-to-down, down-to-up, etc (I've tried all combinations), it doesn't matter. Shit always come back to haunt me. Normally, I just use my clippers to get as much off as possible and it gets the job done, but occasionally I want a close shave.

BloodySinner said:
At least you have a direction of travel to follow! :lol

My neck is the worst. Whether I'm going up-to-down, down-to-up, etc (I've tried all combinations), it doesn't matter. Shit always come back to haunt me. Normally, I just use my clippers to get as much off as possible and it gets the job done, but occasionally I want a close shave.

I use edgers and then an electric razor to get a close shave. I always make sure I use alcohol or an astringent before and after followed by a healthy supply of shea butter. I also use an astringent + shea butter every day when I get home from work and before I go to bed. The less I shave the better though, the longer I let it go the better my skin looks when I eventually do shave.

I want to talk more about Tyler Perry. He is ruining sitcoms for black people, too. I actually thought House of Pain and Meet the Browns were worth a damn, considering how many people I know that rave about them. The shit is awful, and some of the praise seems forced. Like you will be shunned from the community if you shit on a Tyler Perry production.

BloodySinner said:
Fuck razorbumps.

laser hair removal.

and profit.

Top Bottom