• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

tarius1210 said:
Friday is a very underrated film so is A Low Down Dirty Shame.
The first one is the only one watching imo, definitely a hood classic.

Advance_Alarm said:
I talk about white people all the time with my crew. It usually involves us laughing at all the bullshit "diseases" they have like ADD or asthma or "bipolar" that they take meds for. Another thing, if you are white and try to act down or like you understand being black you will most likely be laughed at while you are gone. The gaf crew I know irl likes to point out how all of the blog threads (garbage like "wahh social anxiety") are made be the pale men.
pump your breaks junior and do some research. I myself have asthma....DMX is bipolar.

JCX said:
I have asthma. I remember a doctor telling me that some of the medications don't work as well on black people as they do on white people. Sounds crazy, but even with how similar all humans are, I suppose that there are small differences. I guess this is why my dad seemed to want black doctors so much.
let me guess. you're either from Detroit, Flint, or Saginaw.

and no, your dad probably wanted you to work with black doctors because he figured the black doctors would take better care of you. there is a historical reason for black people to be skeptical of white doctors.

i don't know anyone that jokes about asthma, but bipolar = "you wanna smoke weed, huh" and ADD = "beat your kids more"

DominoKid said:
is this not the flyest shit youve ever seen???

jollyrancherhair.jpg
i ALMOST want to do that. seriously, i love Jolly Rancher candy.

Preble

I have a topic, when you dap your friends up, do any of you guys do any special variations? Mine are usually pretty weak and basic because I'm pretty lazy about it.

Preble said:
I have a topic, when you dap your friends up, do any of you guys do any special variations? Mine are usually pretty weak and basic because I'm pretty lazy about it.
if fraternity handshakes count, then yes. lol. otherwise, I haven't had a special greeting in a decade.

Preble said:

My current friends do the weakest dap right now. We barely even touch hands. It makes me feel effeminate just dapping them. But yeah, each different circle of friends I have do a different thing.
My own personal favorite is just smacking your hands together a few times, similar to Obama in the Flocka parody video.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
My special greeting is just the usual -Assalaamu Alaikum- *hand shake*.
Or a thumbs up from afar.

Lebron

DY_nasty said:
Aggie-Eagle Classic >
CJ8AH.gif

I can't keep up with all the damn variations anymore. I just let my hand go limp and let them have their way with it. Yeah, it sounded weird as I typed it.

Mr. Patch

Dreams-Visions said:
word. I've been to FAM a few times. interesting campus. what made you decide on FAM?

My crappy first 2.5 years of high school got me rejected from FSU, so I just went with the backup plan.

My mom, dad, and sister went to FSU while some of my other family like my uncle and cousin went to FAMU, so I was familiar with both schools despite living in Georgia most of my life.

Tokubetsu

Imm0rt4l said:
Well, shit you had me at saul williams. I'll give it a watch later.

Apparently black men were castrated after they were lynched? I did not know that. I gotta write down these books she's citing.

Imm0rt4l

Tokubetsu said:
Apparently black men were castrated after they were lynched? I did not know that. I gotta write down these books she's citing.
wooooow..... definitely gonna have to give that a listen. Busy watching a sf tourney.

Fox the Sly

Tokubetsu said:

Yeah, I remember watching a documentary and one person (black man) was being sarcastic in saying (paraphrase) "For some odd reason they liked castrate them."

I wonder why.

Imm0rt4l said:
lol @ black music that black people don't like anymore making the list. That's a good one.

Good to see someone actually checked it out, it's definitely worth a watch.

Tokubetsu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOZy3WMmdA

Saul Williams posted this in his twitter feed and I've just completely lost myself in the series.

Good video, I will watch the rest when I get time.

Topher said:
This is the most incredibly ignorant post I have read in a while.

I kinda feel what Advance_Alarm was getting at, it seems many times white people are "over diagnosed" with these. Like there wasn't this huge physiologic market for ADD or pills for hyperactivity or all of that when I was growing up . Grandma told you to sit yo ass down and open a book or she was going to whoop that ass. Many of the "conditions" that kids have today were treated with a different kind of cure. Getting bullied wasn't a serious offense it was apart of growing up, things are just different now. I might be a bit older than some in this thread so my viewpoint may be different.

SmokyDave

MWS Natural said:
I kinda feel what Advance_Alarm was getting at, it seems many times white people are "over diagnosed" with these. Like there wasn't this huge physiologic market for ADD or pills for hyperactivity or all of that when I was growing up . Grandma told you to sit yo ass down and open a book or she was going to whoop that ass. Many of the "conditions" that kids have today were treated with a different kind of cure. Getting bullied wasn't a serious offense it was apart of growing up, things are just different now. I might be a bit older than some in this thread so my viewpoint may be different.
I completely agree with this viewpoint but it isn't a 'white' thing, it's a 'kids nowadays' thing. Whether that means that kids nowadays are whiny little shits that get medicated for convenience or whether that means that we're grouchy old shits that don't understand the stress on youths today, I don't know. Maybe a bit of both. I definitely sometimes catch myself muttering things along the lines of "kids nowadays, they don't know they're born", which worries me because I remember my dad saying pretty much the same thing.

Watch it man, we lost a few brothers the last time this thread took a turn to the black woman booty.

I don't like either girls, honestly. Female MC? Give me Lauryn Hill in her prime. Miseducation of Lauryn Hill for the win.

spindashing said:
Watch it man, we lost a few brothers the last time this thread took a turn to the black woman booty.

I don't like either girls, honestly. Female MC? Give me Lauryn Hill in her prime. Miseducation of Lauryn Hill for the win.

Yes please. Or Erykah Badu. All day.

Dreams-Visions said:
I wanna strangle this bitch Boardwalk Empire style. she's about 1,000 steps back for female Emcee's.

I hate her music, its like listening to my 3 year old try to rhyme. Little Wayne is the same way, dude rhymes by accident now, thats why he's always laughing on his tracks.

sooperkool said:
I hate her music, its like listening to my 3 year old try to rhyme. Little Wayne is the same way, dude rhymes by accident now, thats why he's always laughing on his tracks.

I consider him a joke rapper like lil jeezy. He makes me laugh.

Also: Where the hell is Himuro? did he get fed up with GAF?

Lebron said:
But who is the ultimate king, Soulja Boy or Lil B?

I can't decide. I mean Lil B's got "Bitch I look like jesus" but soulja has got "Bitch I look like Goku"

I give it to SB by a nose because he's like a true Gaffer. Plays all sorts of games, likes anime, and is just a huge nerd but wouldn't admit it. Pretty sure the dude was raised in the suburbs too:lol

Also:
Mr. Chicity-Offensive, or funny?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I just deleted my facebook a while back so I don't know whats up with Himuro... Anyone heard from him?

Nicki Minaj being top in the game is such bullshit, because she's only top by default. There are no more real female MCs in the game right now anyway, so it's whatever.

DAT (fake) ASS, though.

captmcblack said:
Nicki Minaj being top in the game is such bullshit, because she's only top by default. There are no more real female MCs in the game right now anyway, so it's whatever.

DAT (fake) ASS, though.
whatever happened to Foxy Brown and Kim? I'd rather have either of them every day and twice on Sundays.

Also, what happened to Free? The Free that appeared on Canibus' 'Patriots' (first album)?

And what happened to Scarlett? The girl who was featured on Nas' 'Live Now' (Streets Disciple)?

I want to punch this Minaj caricature of a woman in the throat. Kim was right on all counts about her.

edit: and where is Jean Grae's ass?

Baby Milo said:
jail and terrible plastic surgery
I do remember Foxy going to jail. Surely she's out now though, right?

and Scalett? Free? Jean Grae? I just...I feel like they let bozo have all the attention because she put on a wig and fake assets. Is that what hip-hop fans really want out of their music?

*looks at first week sales*

I guess so. :-/

Imm0rt4l

No idea what happened to Himu, I don't have any gaffers on facebook.

captmcblack said:

DAT (fake) ASS, though.
co-sign on both accounts

she went in on monster though

Dreams-Visions said:
whatever happened to Foxy Brown and Kim? I'd rather have either of them every day and twice on Sundays.

Also, what happened to Free? The Free that appeared on Canibus' 'Patriots' (first album)?

And what happened to Scarlett? The girl who was featured on Nas' 'Live Now' (Streets Disciple)?

I want to punch this Minaj caricature of a woman in the throat. Kim was right on all counts about her.

edit: and where is Jean Grae's ass?

What did kim say about Nikki? I didn't listen to the diss seeing as I'm sure it boils down to her being jealous of the attention nikki's getting right now.

Top Bottom