• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soundahfekz said:
So if it was a dude he ranted on it would've been white knighting too right?

thats the thing though, when has that ever happened? i cant think of an instance where the opposite rang true.

Blackace said:
Fuck all the dances you can't do!

:lol :lol

Lebron

Blackace said:
The electric slide can be done to a ton of songs.. so can the Jerk and the Dougie has a few.. Stanky Leg only has one.. sorry son.. let it die or be "that guy"
OSqkb.jpg

heliosRAzi said:
Fuck the stanky and you know what, fuck the electric slide
All I need is an address

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Parallax said:
thats the thing though, when has that ever happened? i cant think of an instance where the opposite rang true.

No doubt people white knight here.. but most the time they just state their feelings about why everyone should white knight like them... when it gets out of hand bail out.. don't try to attack 300 style..

Blackace

Parallax said:
this line has me a bit confused

When people don't agree with you don't fling insults.. even if their opinions are borderline insults themselves.. there is discussion like "I think that opinion sucks" and there are insults "You suck and I will post a little person picture to prove it."

Personally I had nothing to do with the ban but why he got banned is not a shocker and y'all need to stop acting like it is..

Blackace

heliosRAzi said:
We should start Black Knighting people.

The only time white knighting annoys me is when there is a thread about hitting women.

White Knights come out for many things.. Dating... Spanking kids and so on..

Parallax

Blackace said:
When people don't agree with you don't fling insults.. even if their opinions are borderline insults themselves.. there is discussion like "I think that opinion sucks" and there are insults "You suck and I will post a little person picture to prove it."

Personally I had nothing to do with the ban but why he got banned is not a shocker and y'all need to stop acting like it is..

i wasnt aware that i was flinging insults. i apologize if i was. and its fully understandable why he was banned, i didnt deny that, it was the level of white knighting that put me off

Blackace said:
White Knights come out for many things.. Dating... Spanking kids and so on..

I know, it's just that they annoy me when it's about hitting women. Or unless RiskyChris was posting about anything female related. Reading his posts annoyed me greatly.

Blackace

Parallax said:
i wasnt aware that i was flinging insults. i apologize if i was. and its fully understandable why he was banned, i didnt deny that, it was the level of white knighting that put me off

Not you.. talking about him.. and how he dug in..

You are good son!

Blackace

heliosRAzi said:
I know, it's just that they annoy me when it's about hitting women. Or unless RiskyChris was posting about anything female related. Reading his posts annoyed me greatly.

For me it's the spanking kids... Hitting women I can kind of understand, I am not letting a woman take my eyes out or anything, but I can see how that has been placed in people's heads..

Blackace said:
For me it's the spanking kids... Hitting women I can kind of understand, I am not letting a woman take my eyes out or anything, but I can see how that has been placed in people's heads..
Honestly, I'm not going to just go up to a girl and punch her if she's talking shit, but I will defend myself and if that means I have to kick her in the groin, I will. I'm sure most will do the same thing. The ones who annoy me are the guys who say you should take the hits. They watch too many shonen anime.

Blackace

heliosRAzi said:
Honestly, I'm not going to just go up to a girl and punch her if she's talking shit, but I will defend myself and if that means I have to kick her in the groin, I will. I'm sure most will do the same thing. The ones who annoy me are the guys who say you should take the hits. They watch too many shonen anime.

If a woman comes at me like a man then I treat her like one.. But for the most part I can defend myself from most women without having to knock their block off..

But yeah I know excatly what you mean..

But spanking.. that is my one..

heliosRAzi said:

You guys have no idea how many arguments I've gotten over this, to people going so far as to call me a Wife Beater and other shit.
Some people just don't get it. Vagina or not, if you attack me, I'm swinging back.

Parallax

heliosRAzi said:

seriously this. i learned at a young age that women arent to be underestimated. and to take the hit because women are "weaker"? get out of here. a chick threw a hammer at me, and if my friend hadnt warned me, she would have got me in the head.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
If a women hit me I'm just going to leave, like it's not even worth be with someone like that.

so if she comes at you with a device that could inflict mortal harm(frying pan, lead pipe, heavy shit laying around the house, you arent going to defend yourself?

Equus Bellator Apex

Yeah I understand the whole "I got to him them back" mentality.

But once you do that your just stooping to their level.

It's all about self discipline.

Plus for the practical reason that if you retaliate you could seriously injury her.

so if she comes at you with a device that could inflict mortal harm(frying pan, lead pipe, heavy shit laying around the house, you arent going to defend yourself?

I'm obviously not going to let her hit me. I'm just going to hit her back.

Parallax

Yeah I understand the whole "I got to him them back" mentality.

But once you do that your just stooping to their level.

It's all about self discipline.

Plus for the practical reason that if you retaliate you could seriously injury her.

if shes coming at you with a bat, she could seriously injure you. how much is your pride worth?

There's some weird bullshit that people regurgitate, about how you can't because they're physically weaker than you. Those same guys wouldn't have a problem laying some dude out if he came at them the same way even if he was obviously smaller/weaker than them physically.

The only reason I'd treat it different is because the law treats it different. A man comes at me, I'm going all in, but if its a women I'm doing enough to ensure my safety.

Equus Bellator Apex

Parallax said:
if shes coming at you with a bat, she could seriously injure you. how much is your pride worth?

Like I said before. I'm going to stop her from hitting me, but I'm not going to hit her back.

There's some weird bullshit that people regurgitate, about how you can't because they're physically weaker than you. Those same guys wouldn't have a problem laying some dude out if he came at them the same way even if he was obviously smaller/weaker than them physically.

I can only speak for myself, but this applies to men too.

To me, if someone makes me lose my composure than I've lost.

So more often than not I just walk away.

Blackace said:
If a woman comes at me like a man then I treat her like one.. But for the most part I can defend myself from most women without having to knock their block off..

But yeah I know excatly what you mean..

But spanking.. that is my one..

This. I'll def fend off any half hearted attempts at hitting, even trying to restrain. If she smacks me I'm not gonna piece her up, but I'll smack her ass back.

We may be enemies but I agree with Blackace as well. I'm not a "wifebeater" or abusive by any means, but I'll be damned if a girl thinks she's immune to me fighting back if she initiates a fight. An eye for an eye.

Beating kids, well, my feeling is that kids can't walk away from being asses without paying for it. I was beat as a kid, and honestly, it straightened me up. In comparison, my sister was not beat, and she lives her life too carefree; when she does things wrong, she only gets a little "talk" and no actions are taken other than that. I mean, I'm sure there are other ways in raising kids, but it is effective. In my eyes, and I guess you could call it a warped sense of view, there's a difference between abuse and "hitting" your kids...

spindashing said:
Beating kids, well, my feeling is that kids can't walk away from being asses without paying for it. I was beat as a kid, and honestly, it straightened me up. In comparison, my sister was not beat, and she lives her life too carefree; when she does things wrong, she only gets a little "talk" and no actions are taken other than that. I mean, I'm sure there are other ways in raising kids, but it is effective. In my eyes, and I guess you could call it a warped sense of view, there's a difference between abuse and "hitting" your kids...

There is definitely a difference between spanking and straight up physical abuse. My niece does not listen to her mom at all. Just now, my sister was telling her to get up to go take a bath, but my niece did not listen. I hop up in there and tell the little four year old to go take her bath and she does it without fuss because she knows that I will spank her. At first, my sister really didn't discipline her. She would take away candy, but that never really works because the kid knows she's going to get candy eventually. My sis then came up with spanking on the third time my niece was asked to do something. That rarely happened and it's just teaching her that she has three tries to do something. I would tell her something once and if she did it again, she gets spanked.

I would do tihs with my friend's son. My friends and I would hang out at her apartment and sometimes he would come out of his room to be with his momma. Now, normally, I wouldn't mind, but she told him to go to bed and it was one in the morning. With her permission, I picked him up and took him into his room and told him to stay in there. If he came back out, I would spank him, with his mom's permission. Other times, I was an asshole and would scare him back inside by running towards him and screaming. The one cute thing I liked about that kid is that he would peek around a corner to see if I was still there and he would just wait there until I shot him a look. Then he would run back into his room crying. Hilarious.

Lebron said:
Remember the "How Can She Slap?" thread? That was fun
That was a classic. She deserved it.

Blackace

spindashing said:
We may be enemies but I agree with Blackace as well. I'm not a "wifebeater" or abusive by any means, but I'll be damned if a girl thinks she's immune to me fighting back if she initiates a fight. An eye for an eye.

We enemies?

I think it is a one way thing.. you need to be on my level to be my enemy.. You have earned the title "one of my haters" but you have room to grow

spindashing said:

I feel you. With the environment I grew up in, If my parents hadn't whooped my ass a few crucial times I'd probably be in the streets. I hold nothing against my parents for any of the ass whoopings I received. I think they made me a better person, and if I end up having kids and they aren't obedient, they'll catch them as well. It works.

Been a while since I posted here. Looks like himuro came and left:lol ... :(

So I've been studying a bit of history, global history to be specific and I've been looking at a lot of stuff relating to Africa. Has anyone ever watched this?
d3cab381fbb5_2zqzsb4.jpg

BBC 4 part documentary about African history. I was pretty ignorant about the sheer scale of some of the empires that existed there until I watched it. REALLY good stuff for any of you guys interested in learning more about how the continent used to be. I watched it with my mom and even she was impressed(she studies African cultures).

And for a more positive look at the development of contemporary Africa
xATzH.jpg

You'll find that its not all aids/famine/war. There are some frankly amazing new developments going on and the speed of it is very impressive. Hospitals, farms, all that great stuff. If there are any experts on the region in this thread, please share any other stuff you may have.

IrishNinja

Blackace said:
We enemies?

I think it is a one way thing.. you need to be on my level to be my enemy.. You have earned the title "one of my haters" but you have room to grow

:lol

heliosRAzi said:
And? You're defending yourself. If she gets seriously injured, then it's her fault.

i can agree with this...but bear in mind, you can catch a case with a quickness. good friend of mine is trying to avoid jailtime for defending himself when his crazy chick attacked him for trying to leave - homegirl's producing new pics trying to say she was choked & pushing for a felony charge. again, i agree with the sentiment here, but shit's no joke.

weepy

Lebron said:
I was eating in the food court at the mall the other with my girl and they had a group of black girls giving us the death stare like you wouldn't believe. We had to walk pass them when we were leaving and one said, "...really, n***a?" as we passed. We both just laughed, well she got mad at first but let it go when she saw me laughing, and kept on walking. I really don't understand the big deal. I know it's not the case with all, of course. I just don't understand the ones who do have a problem. Get over yourselves.

It's late as hell, but I'd like to put my two cents in...

The group of black chicks were just hatin' the fact that you were with a girl who wasn't black, or worse, white. It's an inferiority complex with women of color and, to be honest, it's the black men that perpetuates this. Now I'm not saying we all do (like yourself I've dated interracially but I still would date a black woman) but some of us would hit and quit black women, marry the white women, all the while leaving the black girls to raise our seeds alone. It's happened a lot.

JGS

Banned
weepy said:

The group of black chicks were just hatin' the fact that you were with a girl who wasn't black, or worse, white.
Personally, I think it's more universal than that with a black woman footnote to it. If the poster has a beautiful white girlfriend, many white guys will talk (Or at least think:lol ) the same thing.

This very thread had shock and awe about the number of beautiful girls dating white men. I think it's more accurate to realize that today's society is not quite colorblind. The assumption for a majority in a particular race is that you stay with your race.

Black women are in a particular conundrum though (The footnote), since the pool is small of good black guys & and the number of them with kids are a couple of strikes against them.

Lebron

weepy said:

The group of black chicks were just hatin' the fact that you were with a girl who wasn't black, or worse, white. It's an inferiority complex with women of color and, to be honest, it's the black men that perpetuates this. Now I'm not saying we all do (like yourself I've dated interracially but I still would date a black woman) but some of us would hit and quit black women, marry the white women, all the while leaving the black girls to raise our seeds alone. It's happened a lot.
My GF is Asian, so I don't know if that made it worse or not :p

But really, some of them need to get over it. I know a few who acted like that toward me when I started dating my current GF, but prior to that they didn't want to have anything to do with me relationship wise since they claimed I was too "white-washed." I can't win either way with them, so fuck it. Might as well sport my "but why you mad?" face and keep on doing what I'm doing.

On another note, where did the idea to identify any unnamed black man as Ray Ray come from? My family(me too) and friends do it all the time, but I really don't know why :lol

Equus Bellator Apex

Lebron said:

But really, some of them need to get over it. I know a few who acted like that toward me when I started dating my current GF, but prior to that they didn't want to have anything to do with me relationship wise since they claimed I was too "white-washed." I can't win either way with them, so fuck it. Might as well sport my "but why you mad?" face and keep on doing what I'm doing.

On another note, where did the idea to identify any unnamed black man as Ray Ray come from? My family(me too) and friends do it all the time, but I really don't know why :lol

Who is that in your avatar?

Is it the same person?

Imm0rt4l

Lebron said:

On another note, where did the idea to identify any unnamed black man as Ray Ray come from? My family(me too) and friends do it all the time, but I really don't know why
:lol
It fits so well, the name just seems to have this intrinsic 'ratchet'ness.

Lebron

Who is that in your avatar?

Is it the same person?
Yeah, Ariel Meredith.

Imm0rt4l said:
It fits so well, the name just seems to have this intrinsic 'ratchet'ness.
It really does. I remember when the teacher would ask if I go by another name I would always say, Ray Ray :lol

Blackace said:
We enemies?

:lol We cool, brah. I'd let you eat at a family reunion any time.

I'll let you eat my aunt's bad cooking.

LosDaddie

Banned
Apologies for the further derail, but allow me to respond...

soundahfekz said:
So if it was a dude he ranted on it would've been white knighting too right? And you know how fast topics on GAF go right? So all the majority of people seen is him looking crazy as hell with a post that seemed like it came out of nowhere. I don't know much about any prior beef between those two (shit i didnt even know koshiba was a female til then), but it IS idiotic and dumb to nuke your account over frustration of a woman pimping out her tits out on a video gaming forum. You know how absurd that shit sounds? What other conclusion are people supposed to make given most don't even know about past issues between one Gaffer to another?

Shit was stupid plain and simple man, and I'll leave it at that. I apologize fellow black culture gaf for the interruption.

Exactly how I felt about the situation. I didn't know, nor do I care, about any beef those 2 had with one another. I haven't even conversed with Koshiba on GAF before, let alone know she was a female.

All I saw was a GAFer being attacked for her contribution to the other thread. And it wasn't just one attack, but multiple. And to get THAT upset about a female pimping her titties is just about as lame as it gets. I'll call that nonsense out every time.

Parallax said:
I haven't been back in a while, but who white knighted himuro?

It was posts like this:

BloodySinner said:
I am certain that Himuro was expressing what many had in mind. Almost everyone on this forum is too much of a pussy to ever covey their real thoughts.

Like Himuro is the only GAFer man enough to speak his mind :lol . That's white knighting if I've ever seen it. I know you guys liked himuro, so I understand why you'd defend him. But he wasn't some man amongst boys. There are plenty here who speak their mind.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
weepy said:

I have dated black chicks like that. With them atleast it was an ignorance, self-doubt thing. They all had one thing in common, not much going on for them in life. Their "Blackness" was about the only thing they had going on that they were proud of. So when they saw a black dude with a non-black woman they get all pissed. Ironically, they wouldn't touch that same black man with a ten foot pole because of some perceived issue with him. Whether it was money, appearance or 'wackness' as they described it but at the same time they hate on him finding someone who likes him.

Imm0rt4l

LosDaddie said:

That's nice

How about contributing something to this thread? We had our comments on losing our friend himuro and left it to what it was, a stupid account suicide. Aside from that you really shouldn't care this much.

LosDaddie

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
Aside from that you really shouldn't care this much.

I would've responded yesterday if I was on GAF at that time. Now that I saw this thread get bumped, I'm just now getting to respond. Dig?

Imm0rt4l said:
How about contributing something to this thread?

No problem.

Turns out one of my HS friends that I just recently got back in touch with (via Facebook) is a small-time/indie rapper on the side. We got to hang out about a month ago and he took me to one of the venues he and his fellow indie rappers perform at. There were a couple performances that night and I bought a CD:

DARYL: 7 Bridges

Some good beats there. FAr better than 99% of the trash on the radio.

Imm0rt4l

LosDaddie said:
I would've responded yesterday if I was on GAF at that time. Now that I saw this thread get bumped, I'm just now getting to respond. Dig?

No problem.

Turns out one of my HS friends that I just recently got back in touch with (via Facebook) is a small-time/indie rapper on the side. We got to hang out about a month ago and he took me to one of the venues he and his fellow indie rappers perform at. There were a couple performances that night and I bought a CD:

DARYL: 7 Bridges

Some good beats there. FAr better than 99% of the trash on the radio.

To me it seems hip hop and r&b 2010-onward is moving towards electro/trance sounding tracks. It seems everyone is sampling stuff not much differetnt from Darude, the electro fan in me who likes stuff like Justice and Dat Punk doesn't mind so much. The purist in me however is kinda disgusted, moreso on the r&b tip. All of Ne-yo's music for example that I've heard as of late is NOT r&B imo, hip hop and rap is much more flexible though.

weepy

dskillzhtown said:
I have dated black chicks like that. With them atleast it was an ignorance, self-doubt thing. They all had one thing in common, not much going on for them in life. Their "Blackness" was about the only thing they had going on that they were proud of. So when they saw a black dude with a non-black woman they get all pissed. Ironically, they wouldn't touch that same black man with a ten foot pole because of some perceived issue with him. Whether it was money, appearance or 'wackness' as they described it but at the same time they hate on him finding someone who likes him.

True. There are some black girls that do harp on that aspect. But at the same time, don't you think that you're painting them with a broad brush? I mean yeah you'll get the run of the mill "I need a thug in my life" women who are immature and overtly high-maintenance, but those are the girls that stick out like a sore thumb. I've dated nice, fine, sophisticated black women who don't mind goofy dudes and I'm goofy as hell. It just seem like black women are getting dogged over a perceived few, is all.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
weepy said:
True. There are some black girls that do harp on that aspect. But at the same time, don't you think that you're painting them with a broad brush? I mean yeah you'll get the run of the mill "I need a thug in my life" women who are immature and overtly high-maintenance, but those are the girls that stick out like a sore thumb. I've dated nice, fine, sophisticated black women who don't mind goofy dudes and I'm goofy as hell. It just seem like black women are getting dogged over a perceived few, is all.
"I'm a strong independent black woman!!!!!!!!!"

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
"your reputation sucks"

"your reputation sucks"

ummm......

Our reputation aint really great either though.....
I'll have to finish listening to this later, but after 3 minutes I'm not sure I understand or like the point he's driving at.
BW refuse to believe that:
-80% of BW are overweight or obese
-70% of BW are single
-40% of BW have not and never will be married (did I quote this stat right?)
-72% of black kids are born out of wedlock
-60% of BW have an STD (this one is an older stat)
-The majority of marriages with BW end in less than 5 years (this stat is new to me)
-There is no stat for BW with atittudes or wear weaves but it is obviously high
Mind you that these stats come into play before even getting into beauty.

BW think that they are infalliable but hate it when they get a huge dose of reality from the media. Some of us have gone of blogtalk radio and BW ask why why why, but when we tell them about the stats they outright refuse to believe them. They honestly believe that they should date outside the race and change nothing. That is not going to work.

And yes you are right BM's rep sucks but who reps us though....thugs. On-point BM fight against our sterotypes by being on-point.

EDIT: Watch this for a better explaination

SSJ1Goku said:
BW refuse to believe that:
-80% of BW are overweight or obese
-70% of BW are single
-60% of BW have an STD (this one is an older stat)
Not that I'm a huge fan of black women myself, being that the last 4-5 women I've been have been white or Hispanic, I call BS on these "stats". Last I heard 50% were overweight and no way do that many have an STD and are single.

Lebron said:
I take out two thugs a day with my Express outfits. I'm doing my best to win this war.
My man. I just cleaned up on the 70% off sale :lol

Top Bottom