• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Suddenly, this motivational poster I've had on my mind for some time, doesn't seem so niche!

2d0z1xw.jpg

zero_suit

Lebron said:
As did I. Cleaned them out real nice :lol

edit: Good to see others are aware of the power of that Express. First rule of winning over females is dressing nice, and they likes them some Express.

How long does the sale last?

Lebron

zero_suit said:
How long does the sale last?
No idea, but it's still going on. You can order off the website.

Veidt said:
I thought I was the only one that said this casually
We use it all the time. I can't roll with someone if they don't know where that comes from.

Nameless

Damn, I had no idea The Game was such a big deal, several people seemed to want to talk about it today.. The first few times I asked, "what game?" trying to figure out which sporting event they were talking about..

I've seen it a couple of times, always with a female friend who watched it, but never got into personally. But it occurred me that the state of black television is pretty dire. I can't think of a single "black show" that I watch regularly these days. Usually there are at least one or two. The Tyler Perry Shows are horrible, Are We There Yet isn't bad but not good enough to take time away from other things.. And I didn't even know The Game got canceled and picked back up..I have to missing something, right?

Swag

Has anyone here ever grown their hair out, afro style?

I recently saw the video for Black and Yellow and thought Wiz's fro looks pretty awesome thinking of trying to grow my hair out similarly, but seems like a lot of work.

Are there different types of hair among black people? It seems that my hair is the same as all my black friends's hair ( Except if their Ethiopian ) so I can't imagine that quality or texture of hair is something that has to be kept in mind. Just dunno if there's steps or stuff to keep in mind and the internet isn't really helping :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sebulon3k said:

I recently saw the video for Black and Yellow and thought Wiz's fro looks pretty awesome thinking of trying to grow my hair out similarly, but seems like a lot of work.

Are there different types of hair among black people? It seems that my hair is the same as all my black friends's hair ( Except if their Ethiopian ) so I can't imagine that quality or texture of hair is something that has to be kept in mind. Just dunno if there's steps or stuff to keep in mind and the internet isn't really helping :lol
im growing my hair right now and i cant keep my hand out of it

Swag

-COOLIO- said:
im growing my hair right now and i cant keep my hand out of it

How long have you been growing it out?

Last time I got my haircut was Late November I think. Thinking of getting it lined up in a few days but not sure if I wanna go through with this.

I had braids for about 4 years. Cut it in 2007. Now I want to lock my hair up.

Anyway, this posted?

Woman Urges Fans To Boycott Lil Wayne Over “Dark-Skin” Prejudice

We met up with Mack Maine from Young Money, he then took us to a hotel a couple of other girls were there and so was Lil Wayne, Guda Guda, Lil Chuckee, and Birdman. When we entered the room Guda was like “Damn, y’all pretty, to be dark skin.” And then Wayne quoted a verse from his song ["Right Above"]. I heard the song before and I was offended when I heard the lyrics, but I brushed my feelings off and forgot about what the gremlin said. But him saying it over again made me angry as hell. So me being the outspoken person that I am, I said, “Wayne, your daughter is dark skin so why would you say such ignorance?” He said ‘My daughter is a dark skinned millionaire, that’s the difference between her and you.”

I can tell he was very upset because i bought his daughter up but that is no excuse for what he said. Next he stated, “MY daughter is the first and last dark skin child I’m having. The rest of my baby moms [are] light skinned chicks. I even got an Asian baby moms to make sure I have a daughter with good hair. Too bad we had a son.”

Everybody started laughing and [we] stormed out of the room. Some guys followed us saying “Not everybody hate dark skinned girls. Young Money just allergic to Chocolate.”

:lol

I used to have a fro, then my hair started getting real thin at the top so I just shave my head bald. I miss having a fro, or braids, or dreads down to my shoulders

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
heliosRAzi said:
I used to have a fro, then my hair started getting real thin at the top so I just shave my head bald. I miss having a fro, or braids, or dreads down to my shoulders

I used to rock a fro every winter, but now I got the Vegeta.. so.. no fro for me

Sebulon3k said:

Winter of 99 had a massive fro, got rid of it due to the maintenance needed to keep it looking acceptable.

As for the types of hair yes. Manny factors affect the texture of hair. My brothers hair is different then mine,

Blackace said:
I used to rock a fro every winter, but now I got the Vegeta.. so.. no fro for me
:lol :lol

If I get a different job, I'll probably grow my hair out and hope that the top part is thick enough for some braids

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tokubetsu said:
What the hell is the vegeta? You balding Blackace?

1. google Vegeta

2. look at his hair

3. think about comment

yeah I have been losing it around the temples.. I have a M shape instead of a line

Big Baybee said:
I had braids for about 4 years. Cut it in 2007. Now I want to lock my hair up.

Anyway, this posted?

Woman Urges Fans To Boycott Lil Wayne Over “Dark-Skin” Prejudice

:lol

I used to think like this as a teen (unfortunately), but I think my lack off attraction to dark skin women at that time was more of disgust for the environment I was raised in. The stereotypes about black women weren't stereotypes, they were reality. I had to venture out to Los Angeles and experience a different type of black woman then what I was used to for the attraction to return.

I love all skin colors and got over that color struck nonsense. there's definitely something to marvel about a dark skin woman like bria myles with a near perfect complexion.

Whoa.... I haven't posted in this thread since the early "Negro-GAF" (RIP) days.

Random thoughts about black women:

I love black women, but when I was younger most of them dismissed me as "white-washed" as well since I was well-spoken and didn't wear urban clothes. But to be honest, most teen girls and women in their 20s, tend to gravitate toward "bad" boys. That's not exclusive to black women. The problem is the pool of successful black men is much smaller, so the black guys black women spurned when they were younger very few are available when they finally "grow up".

A smart black man is is very appealing to other races too, so we don't sit around waiting for black women to finally accept us. For example, I like black women but I've been married to an Asian for the past 7 years. My wife saw my potential when I was younger even though I didn't have the "bling" back then, so now when I'm doing well she's reaping the benefits. Most black women I've met recently have been very friendly to me and they say to me my wife is very lucky but they also lament why all "the good black men are taken". Then I usually rib them and say, "Why did you ignore me in high school?"

Overall I think things will get better once the black nuclear family can be established again. We've just had a whole generation of black single mothers and "dead-beat" black fathers. That's going to phuck up our interactions to an extent because most kids take cues from their parents. If a child isn't used to seeing a black man loving and caring for his black woman, and instead constantly hears his black mother bashing his black father, and sees his father acting like a man-whore or dead-beat, then what child wants to grow up and emulate that relationship?

I think some of the distrust between black men and black women stems from the 70s and 80s when the black family was basically destroyed from the Vietnam war and then the inner city drug wars. I think we're still at least another generation before we fully recover from it. And we may never recover if the thug/hoochie promiscuous culture continues to be celebrated in large segments of the black community.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sebulon3k said:
How long have you been growing it out?

Last time I got my haircut was Late November I think. Thinking of getting it lined up in a few days but not sure if I wanna go through with this.
just 3 weeks but this is looooong for me

20110110_guccimane_560x375.jpg

Whats with black people and awful tattoos. I just dont get it man, why would you do that to yourself. I have seven plan on getting more but god damn if most black people with ink have some of the ugliest tattoos I have ever seen.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soundscream said:
20110110_guccimane_560x375.jpg

Whats with black people and awful tattoos. I just dont get it man, why would you do that to yourself. I have seven plan on getting more but god damn if most black people with ink have some of the ugliest tattoos I have ever seen.

only gucci could get something that retarded on his face. i firmly believe that.

relevent to MLK day, so many either casual or actual bitter racists at my job. "nigga day, a dark day in history, etc". the worst was someone saying "we should kill 6 more so that we have the rest of the week off". i could only smh

zero_suit

Advance_Alarm said:
relevent to MLK day, so many either casual or actual bitter racists at my job. "nigga day, a dark day in history, etc". the worst was someone saying "we should kill 6 more so that we have the rest of the week off". i could only smh

Wow, where do you live?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Advance_Alarm said:

what...the....fuck.

Advance_Alarm said:

Damn. Where do you work? What state?

Nakazato

Advance_Alarm said:
wtf. you should have bitch slapped him.

florida about an hour away from the alabama border. A common "joke" during conversations:

where are you from?
LA
Cool, did you meet anyone famous?
I mean lower alabama. hawhahwhaw

Lebron

Advance_Alarm said:
edit: nvrmind

Advance_Alarm said:
if that was me I woulda clapped the llama on them bitches

Tokubetsu

Advance_Alarm said:

Why didn't you say something? File a complaint even jesus christ.

Top Bottom