• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

lightless_shado said:
Habib koite, the very best, muso ko, and you can't go wrong with any Fela or Femi kuti

Cosign on Fela and Femi Kuti, The afrobeat station was the best part of the GTA4 soundtrack for me.

Also check out Angelique Kidjo, Lucky Dube, Black Lady Mambazo.

Thanks to cross-continent TV, I was introduced to TKZee from South Africa. Kwaito is such a different sound and is pretty sweet.

Manmademan said:
let me guess, you're one of those dudes that doesn't tip

Great attitude this one.

I'm one of those dudes that doesn't tip a barber. You set a price that's what I'm paying. Expect more? Raise the price. I pay you to provide professional service and I'm supposed to be shocked and amazed it looks good? That's what the fuck I paid you for!

Next time I sell a beat I'll be expecting the label to THROW extra money at me because it's a such a miracle the track they were interested in was so hot. Surely they'll throw money beyond the specified agreement in elation. SMH

Edit: And yeah, the barber's gonna fuck up your head and lose a customer, because that's better than not receiving a tip. Wow man...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
soundahfekz said:
Great attitude this one.

I'm one of those dudes that doesn't tip a barber. You set a price that's what I'm paying. Expect more? Raise the price. I pay you to provide professional service and I'm supposed to be shocked and amazed it looks good? That's what the fuck I paid you for!

Next time I sell a beat I'll be expecting the label to THROW extra money at me because it's a such a miracle the track they were interested in was so hot. Surely they'll throw money beyond the specified agreement in elation. SMH
There's a defense between paying for a product and paying for a service.

Generally, its a smart idea to pay for exceptionally good service. I can understand where you're coming from, but there's a clear difference between getting a regular cut and someone doing a damn good job. If someone is happy to see you, they'll make sure you're on the list to get their best work that day.

DY_nasty said:
There's a defense between paying for a product and paying for a service.

Generally, its a smart idea to pay for exceptionally good service. I can understand where you're coming from, but there's a clear difference between getting a regular cut and someone doing a damn good job. If someone is happy to see you, they'll make sure you're on the list to get their best work that day.

I'm from the school of find a great consistent barber, then you don't have to worry about tip influenced haircuts. A tip is a courtesy, not an entitlement. People are way spoiled expecting this shit.

DY_nasty

soundahfekz said:
Edit: And yeah, the barber's gonna fuck up your head and lose a customer, because that's better than not receiving a tip. Wow man...
If you don't tip and this applies to any place that provides a service, I'd think twice before going back to the same place.
soundahfekz said:
I'm from the school of find a great consistent barber, then you don't have to worry about tip influenced haircuts. A tip is a courtesy, not an entitlement. People are way spoiled expecting this shit.
A tip is a courtesy, and its repayed by better than the usual service when you return.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone leave out of a barbershop with a 'great' haircut after people their realize they don't tip. They'll get their service, but it'll be far from the quality of their best. Again - Its not a product you're paying for.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If you don't tip your barber, realize that you're the only dude not tipping your barber.

Also know that they talk shit about you, after you leave.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
soundahfekz said:

Any barber is influenced by tips. Back in the day when I had one, I would drop him a few dollars sometimes five.. And I got better service.. Jumped to the head of the line when I didn't make appointments and just got much love.

I wasn't giving out tips to anybody this was my barber..

dabig2

Where you're from:Born and raised in the NW suburbs of Chicago
Where you live:Right now I'm back at home in Frederick, MD (finished school at the University of Illinois and back at home waiting to see what to do with my life)

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy:

Oh sweet lord this could take a while. In short, my father's family immigrated from Cuba to Chicago back in 58 (yeah, right before the takeover). And my mother's family has lived in chicago for the last 50 years as well, but they have a lot of land down in southern Kentucky.

Why I say in short is because while my heritage and cultural identity is Cuban mostly from my dad's side, my family is pretty diverse in cultural identity and genealogy. On my father's side, his mother is 1/2 Chinese and 1/4 black and 1/4 white as her father immigrated from China to Cuba back in the late 30s and married a Cuban mulatto. My grandfather is also half black and half white Hispanic.

And on my mom's side her father was black, but he was high yella. And her mother is 1/4 black, 1/4 Native American (legit Native American too, her mother was born and raised on a reservation), and 1/2 white (Irish). There's also an interesting story to tell about my grandmother's family, but I'll save that for another day.

Do you know your roots?: Mostly. Up above.
Your Age: 24
Favorite musical genre:Orchestra, jazz, hip-hop
Your profession/major/career interest: Computer Engineer and Computer Science
Your religious affiliation: Raised up as a Baptist. Went to a Christian school for many, many years and went to church for many years but never really took it all in. I've self-identified myself as an agnostic for probably 10 years now.

Hobbies: exercising, sports, Neogaf, tech books, outdoors in general, cigars, and whiskey.

And yes, been accused of "acting white" my entire life, even by my cousins. But it's mostly because they know I grew up in white suburbia my entire life (didn't live next to a black family/person my first 18 years of life) and my conservative schooling had maybe 3 black kids per grade level. But I've never agreed with that term. It's all just a matter of your environment. I don't believe being a minority means you should act a certain way or talk a certain way or otherwise you lose your "identity". It's a shame that idea is still so prevalent in the 21st century.

And oh yeah, I definitely will call myself a nerd. Ain't no shame in that either :lol

harSon

Banned
bdizzle said:
You rocking a vegeta? Lol

Naw, I meant I'm Black, Spanish, Italian and Japanese, so my hair is neither afro-textured nor straight... it's somewhere comfortably in between, probably leaning towards straight.

I wish I could rock a close fade :(

DY_nasty said:
If you don't tip and this applies to any place that provides a service, I'd think twice before going back to the same place.

A tip is a courtesy, and its repayed by better than the usual service when you return.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone leave out of a barbershop with a 'great' haircut after people their realize they don't tip. They'll get their service, but it'll be far from the quality of their best. Again - Its not a product you're paying for.

A tip is also an option. Find a barber that doesn't expect you to hand out more money then what you are already asked to pay. "tip me or else" Seriously? This whole mindset is what's wrong with a lot of people today. this is a gesture that started out of generosity which evolved into a silent requirement for ideal service. I think it's disgusting.

My only exception are waiters, who truly DEPEND on tipping services. I tip them generously on a great job and 20-30% when not satisfied. Technically waiters should be compensated entirely by the establishment w/ less pressure on customers to tip, but no one is interested in reversing this custom, so I'm fine with it.

K.Jack said:
If you don't tip your barber, realize that you're the only dude not tipping your barber.

Also know that they talk shit about you, after you leave.

Honestly I could give two shits. As long as I'm satisfied with my haircut, they could throw darts at a picture of me.

I've went to the same barbershop for all of my life, I almost always tip my barber , I think i'm gonna end up with a 'fro over here, just cause I can't bring myself to find another barber :lol

DY_nasty

soundahfekz said:
A tip is also an option. Find a barber that doesn't expect you to hand out more money then what you are already asked to pay. "tip me or else" Seriously? This whole mindset is what's wrong with a lot of people today. this is a gesture that started out of generosity which evolved into a silent requirement for ideal service. I think it's disgusting.

My only exception are waiters, who truly DEPEND on tipping services. I tip them generously on a great job and 20-30% when not satisfied. Technically waiters should be compensated entirely by the establishment w/ less pressure on customers to tip, but no one is interested in reversing this custom, so I'm fine with it.
Meh... do you.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
soundahfekz said:
My only exception are waiters, who truly DEPEND on tipping services. I tip them generously on a great job and 20-30% when not satisfied.
Tipping 20-30% on a bad job? So you're tipping 50% plus when you're happy?

Interesting.

K.Jack said:
Tipping 20-30% on a bad job? So you're tipping 50% plus when you're happy?

Interesting.

I should reword not satisfied to satisfactory/average/being slighty disappointed. If service is terrible, like the waiter has a nasty attitude or completely forgets about my table I won't tip at all.

I don't want to turn this into another tipping thread though, so I think we should agree to disagree on this shit and move on.

Blackace

soundahfekz said:

My only exception are waiters, who truly DEPEND on tipping services. I tip them generously on a great job and 20-30% when not satisfied. Technically waiters should be compensated entirely by the establishment w/ less pressure on customers to tip, but no one is interested in reversing this custom, so I'm fine.

Funny thing is unless it is the barber's shop they do depend on tips, because they pay chair fees from each haircut, but tips are theirs...

karby

wow. I go away for the weekend, and the house of NegroGaf collapses into a burnt-out abandoned lot. :( Really liked lurking in that thread, but oh well.

-Where you're from Washington DC
- Where you live Washington, DC.
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy I'm Igbo by blood, and somewhat by culture.
- Do you know your roots? yea, Nigerian. I visit there once every few years or so.
- Your Age 27
- Favorite musical genre anything that I think sounds good, I'll listen to. I don't really have a favorite genre.
- Your profession/major/career interest student at the moment. I started studying in computer science, but life generally got in the way, and I never completed. Went back to school to finish what I started. Right now, I'm just working to get by. Once I'm done I'll go from there.
- Your religious affiliation not quite sure about it, actually. I was raised as Catholic but, I don't follow it much these days.
- Hobbies gaming, writing, reading, drawing, trying anything once,...

Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?
When I really think about it, it never mattered to anyone whether I was a nerd or not, because no one would have accepted me anyway. So I never really felt the pressure to not be a nerd, since I was an outcast almost from the beginning.
I know that none of my current friends are nerds, but they don't seem to care that I am. As for Charles Barkley, and those who think like him (at least when that quote is concerned), don't have much to say about it, only that I think it must suck to have such a closed-minded mentality. I'm way past done living up to anyone's standards but my own. Why should it matter how I choose to spend my time, if I'm not hurting anyone?

Blackace said:
Funny thing is unless it is the barber's shop they do depend on tips, because they pay chair fees from each haircut, but tips are theirs...

My barber owns his shop, so chair fees aren't applicable.

With that argument we should start compensating for lost wages w/ employees that incur union dues, or those who have to pay for extra classes for career advancement as well.

Blackace

soundahfekz said:
My barber owns his shop, so chair fees aren't applicable.

With that argument we should start compensating for lost wages w/ employees that incur union dues, or those who have to pay for extra classes for career advancement as well.

Yeah, you could but those people are paid by the hour Or on salary while barbers are paid by the cut..

Blackace said:
Is this common knowledge? It's something that could be deduced, but I don't know how many people really analyze the business model of their barber. I think more people would tip or tip better if it was more obvious. when I used to go to the barber, I was more concerned with:

a.) the hilarious conversation going on

b.) who was popping their ass on the BET Uncut recording running on replay

c.) trying to look cool amongst a bunch of...brothas...that I don't know.

d.) if I want him to do something different this time.

e.) who's on page 43 in Jet Magazine.

but maybe it's just me. :lol

DY_nasty

Salazar said:
Man, so much more social than my white haircut by girls who either flirt or hate me - no in between.
One thing you gotta watch out for is those single moms who come in to get their son's hair cut. Every dude in their who isn't on his way to church is gonna eye her down at least twice - gotta make sure your barber is focused or you'll get that leaning hairline.

DY_nasty said:
One thing you gotta watch out for is those single moms who come in to get their son's hair cut. Every dude in their who isn't on his way to church is gonna eye her down at least twice - gotta make sure your barber is focused or you'll get that leaning hairline.

Yeah, I try to bypass all that shit by following these steps (since I leave around 20 minutes from his shop):

1) ryutaro's mama needs a cut

2) ryutaro's mama calls barber to see how many heads are ahead of him

3) if number is =/>2, ryutaro's mama thanks barber and elects to call later

4) if number is =/<1, ryutaro's mama goes over and gets faded up.

- Where you're from
Was born in Honolulu, HI; relocated to southern California around three, and lived there till age twenty-five.
- Where you live
Atlanta, GA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
My mother is Jamaican and Filipina. Father? Afro-Am.
- Do you know your roots?
Not really.
- Your Age
25. Will be 26 this Oct. 19th.
- Favorite musical genres
Post-rock, jazz fusion, metal (symphonic, jazz, progressive, technical black) neo-classical, R&B, electro, garage house, glitch/drillcore, jazz-hop, trip-hop, twee pop
- Your profession/major/career interest
Unemployed; Computer Science/Undecided; Librarianship (Public/School/Special)/Market Research/Consulting
- Your religious affiliation
None. I've sort of been looking into Buddhism though.
- Hobbies
Listening to music, gaming (W/J RPGs, action/adventure, sandbox, MMORPG, platformers, point & click), forum lurking, reading (blogs, graphic novels, non-fiction, fan fiction, science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, political thrillers), watching tv (some favs: Arrested Development, Mad Men, Buffy, Freaks and Geeks, Cowboy Bebop, Futurama, The Venture Bros.), movies and documentaries (some favs: Alien I&II, Millennium Actress, The Dark Knight, The Incredibles, Scarface, Cocaine Cowboys, Kung Fu Hustle, Scott Pilgrim)

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Hell yeah. It's one of the major reasons I've gone through life with having very few friends. Being a girl who was heavily into gaming meant almost no fellow girl friends, and there were/are a lot of guys who don't like to kick it with chicks on a strictly platonic level. The whole "acting white" labeling and subsequent ostracization and harassment is extremely sad and destructive to the collective advance of black folk. To this day, I still don't know how this belief came about.

Himuro said:
Holy shit, even more black girls on gaf.

YES. All of them seem to be older than me -- hell all you guys are older than me smh...

There must be a few more hiding around. For some reason, I feel this thread brought out a lot more people than last time. Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing faces/avatars that I have not seen before. Good job, guys!

Hell even Blackace came back. Thank you based god.

ryutaro's mama said:
Yeah, I try to bypass all that shit by following these steps (since I leave around 20 minutes from his shop):

1) ryutaro's mama needs a cut

2) ryutaro's mama calls barber to see how many heads are ahead of him

3) if number is =/>2, ryutaro's mama thanks barber and elects to call later

4) if number is =/<1, ryutaro's mama goes over and gets faded up.

In a fit of tiredness I thought your name was just ryutaro. So I was left thinking, "why the fuck is the dude calling while impersonating his mom?"

Preble

Where you're from
- Where you live
VA
Black
Nope
- Your Age
20 years old
- Favorite musical genre
R&B, Drum &Bass and Rap
I want to do something with art, but I'm just not good enough right now.
Christian ( I need to get back to church one day.)
- Hobbies
Drawing, Sleeping, Football, Video Games

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?
I rarely had this problem growing up. I just got along with everyone, I wasn't extremely nerdy or too cool.

Well I become friends with all of my barbers by first buttering them up with tips. I tip when I can and sometimes (well back in college) when I didn't have enough money to get a cut they would cut me no charge. I always tipped a dollar or two and it wasn't a big deal. I get a cut 2-3 times a month so it's really not that bad.

Also if I tipped or not my relationships were so good that I always got the best cut possible from them. They took care of me, facial shaping (like I have a lot of facial hair) at no extra cost and stuff like that. Hell they'd buy me food lol.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
So I was curious where this Charles Barkley quote about black nerds came from and after some Google-Fu, voilà,

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/09/09kmono.phtml

It was from when he hosted SNL. All I have to say is, are you guys serious with this shit? Charles Barkley on SNL utters one line about black nerds and you are freaking out over it? Seriously dawg? Really?! Stop caring about whether you are a nerd or not and get some God damn self confidence. It's just a stupid label. You are so much more than that.

esquire said:
So I was curious where this Charles Barkley quote about black nerds came from and after some Google-Fu, voilà,

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/09/09kmono.phtml

It was from when he hosted SNL. All I have to say is, are you guys serious with this shit? Charles Barkley on SNL utters one line about black nerds and you are freaking out over it? Seriously dawg? Really?! Stop caring about whether you are a nerd or not and get some God damn self confidence. It's just a stupid label. You are so much more than that.

Damn, relax. Someone already said it was from SNL in this thread earlier.

Edit: beat like Rodney King.

esquire

Salazar said:
Reading this thread-fu would have told you that much.
This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up with every post and it doesn't change the fact that it was a gross overreaction considering the context.

esquire said:
This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up with every post and it doesn't change the fact that it was a gross overreaction considering the context.

If you think this is moving fast, you should have seen the original NegroGAF.

Overreaction? It was a topic that was brought up a lot in the last thread and I guess Himuro placed it there to get more of a general consensus on the issue. No one's honestly freaking out over what Charles Barkley said. I don't think anyone in here honestly even cares about Sir Barkley currently aside from his past Taco Bell commercial endeavors which I may add, was pretty funny for a bit.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Shanadeus said:
I wonder what it's like to have black curls that many blacks have, I also wonder if there are any blacks that have naturally straight hair.
I have wavy hair. It's normal, most Somalis do, and also have straight hair. Ironically with somalis, the darker skinned you are, the straighter hair you have. I used to put my pen in my hair, and forget where I put it about half way through classes. :lol

esquire

spindashing said:
If you think this is moving fast, you should have seen the original NegroGAF.

Overreaction? It was a topic that was brought up a lot in the last thread and I guess Himuro placed it there to get more of a general consensus on the issue. No one's honestly freaking out over what Charles Barkley said. I don't think anyone in here honestly even cares about Sir Barkley currently aside from his past Taco Bell commercial endeavors which I may add, was pretty funny for a bit.
I did see the last thread and that is why I didn't post much in it. I'm not a talkative person offline and I think that applies double online.

Here's the thing about the whole 'black nerd' thing, it's not that important in the hierarchy of things that black people should be concerned about. More to the point, it's a phony label because it's not an either or situation either. You can be smart and not be a nerd or you can be a nerd and not be smart at all. Either way, as a black man/woman people are going to throw all kinds of meaningless labels at you all your life. I can think of a million things worse than being a 'black nerd.' Charles Barkley was telling a joke and I believe that's as deeply as it should be considered.

esquire said:
I did see the last thread and that is why I didn't post much in it. I'm not a talkative person offline and I think that applies double online.

Here's the thing about the whole 'black nerd' thing, it's not that important in the hierarchy of things that black people should be concerned about. More to the point, it's a phony label because it's not an either or situation either. You can be smart and not be a nerd or you can be a nerd and not be smart at all. Either way, as a black man/woman people are going to throw all kinds of meaningless labels at you all your life. I can think of a million things worse than being a 'black nerd.' Charles Barkley was telling a joke and I believe that's as deeply as it should be considered.

I understand completely. Though you say you aren't talkative, we do implore you and other lurkers to post more and show some love though. :D

I've been called many things due to my own interests and the way I dress. At first as a child I let it get to me, but now that I'm older -- as I said in my own response to Himuro's question -- I don't really care anymore. Either you love me or you hate me; I'm not going to sit here and try and sift through meaningless opinions from other people.

You're right, this isn't something important for black people to think about/be concerned of in our own community, but it does come up anyway. People that are well off/well educated/etc are unfortunately ostracized in the black community and the many responses from the people here are proof of it. I don't think the important part of the question was merely Barkley's statement/joke; I think it is more or less about the general idea of nerds/accomplished individuals/people trying to make a living being seen as a bad light by those who don't strive for similar goals.

I do not think this is exclusively for blacks, but the image of a "cool" black seemingly is one in tune with the streets, being loud/unapologetic, bad rap music with no lyrical value, girls, etc so anything that deviates from that is seen as weird in the community.

esquire said:
Here's the thing about the whole 'black nerd' thing, it's not that important in the hierarchy of things that black people should be concerned about.

I don't think any claim was ever made to the contrary. Himuro just thought it was apropos given that this is a gaming forum...

Vinrau

Kjellson said:
Does anyone here listen to african music? I've discovered some Toumani Diabaté and Geoffrey Oryema, but I need more, since what I've heard is fantastic. Anyone here got some recommendations?
Ali Farka Toure, and Afel Bocoum are two Mali musicians I'd recommend giving a listen.

- Where you're from
Somalia. Where pirates roll deep
- Where you live
Live in Melbourne, Australia.
I'm Somali as far as I know. Probably some Arab going back a few dozen generations back considering which part of the country I come from. My family is pretty light skinededed
Sure do.
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Hip-hop, Trance, Electronic, House, Michael Jackson
On my way to a master of mechanical engineering
Muslim
- Hobbies
Getting my swole on, basketball, pointing shit out to people

I go through moisturiser faster than a mofo.

Kjellson

lightless_shado said:
Habib koite, the very best, muso ko, and you can't go wrong with any Fela or Femi kuti
Salazar said:
Imm0rt4l said:
I grew up listening to Fela Kuti and Sunny Ade in the house or when parents were driving.
magnificent83 said:
Cosign on Fela and Femi Kuti, The afrobeat station was the best part of the GTA4 soundtrack for me.

Also check out Angelique Kidjo, Lucky Dube, Black Lady Mambazo.

Thanks to cross-continent TV, I was introduced to TKZee from South Africa. Kwaito is such a different sound and is pretty sweet.
Vinrau said:
Ali Farka Toure, and Afel Bocoum are two Mali musicians I'd recommend giving a listen.
Thanks alot guys! I'll listen to it later today.

esquire

spindashing said:
I understand completely. Though you say you aren't talkative, we do implore you and other lurkers to post more and show some love though. :D

I've been called many things due to my own interests and the way I dress. At first as a child I let it get to me, but now that I'm older -- as I said in my own response to Himuro's question -- I don't really care anymore. Either you love me or you hate me; I'm not going to sit here and try and sift through meaningless opinions from other people.

You're right, this isn't something important for black people to think about/be concerned of in our own community, but it does come up anyway. People that are well off/well educated/etc are unfortunately ostracized in the black community and the many responses from the people here are proof of it. I don't think the important part of the question was merely Barkley's statement/joke; I think it is more or less about the general idea of nerds/accomplished individuals/people trying to make a living being seen as a bad light by those who don't strive for similar goals.

I do not think this is exclusively for blacks, but the image of a "cool" black seemingly is one in tune with the streets, being loud/unapologetic, bad rap music with no lyrical value, girls, etc so anything that deviates from that is seen as weird in the community.

Byakuya769 said:
I don't think any claim was ever made to the contrary.  Himuro just thought it was apropos given that this is a gaming forum...

The whole 'black nerd' thing just seems like a crutch for people who don't feel accepted by their peers (and in particular black women). We being people with nerdy interests don't all have this passive-aggressive anger over not fitting the 'cool' stereotype just because we happen to share a commonality in video games. The original comment by Barkley was taken out of context to suit a certain agenda, and I suppose in the broader context of a general discussion I should just let it slide, but I do find it annoying how that charzterization of the 'woe is me, the black nerd' is used to attack the black community as a whole for being 'anti-intellectual' by way of the criticism that anyone that does anything intellectual is 'acting white.' Quite frankly, it offends me because taking into account all the black people young and old I've known growing up, all the black adults who mentored me and supported me, not at one single time did they expect me to be anything but a respectable, educated individual first and foremost. I'm not seeing where the 'acting white' or 'black nerd' thing as anything worth getting worked up over - if you want me to be totally honest I've heard it more from white people than from black people. If you (not you specifically) don't feel accepted by the black community maybe it is because, by taking a combative stance because you were called a nerd or told you 'act white' by some idiot at some point in your life, they perceive you as having already rejecting them; if you feel that black people reject intellectualism, you probably already have.

SmokyDave

Is there really such a thing as a homogenous 'black culture'?

I understand that Black African Americans have a shared heritage and culture (to a degree) but a 'Black culture' sounds a bit odd to me. I expect I'd have more in common (culturally) with a Black man in my city than I would a White man in Russia or much of the rest of the world outside the west, really. I don't really buy into concepts of 'Black culture' and 'White culture'.

esquire

SmokyDave said:
Is there really such a thing as a homogenous 'black culture'?

I understand that Black African Americans have a shared heritage and culture (to a degree) but a 'Black culture' sounds a bit odd to me. I expect I'd have more in common (culturally) with a Black man in my city than I would a White man in Russia or much of the rest of the world outside the west, really. I don't really buy into concepts of 'Black culture' and 'White culture'.
I love this type of naive thinking. You act as if de jure segregation didn't exist and de facto segregation doesn't exist.

'Black culture' on a global scale doesn't really exist as a homogeneous entity unless it is meant as a broader term to refer generally to the culture created by African diaspora. Otherwise it's just referred to as the culture of its country of origin.

Salazar

esquire said:
I love this type of naive thinking. You act as if de jure segregation didn't exist and de facto segregation doesn't exist.

SmokyDave's point stands, and you're a git for calling him naive.

esquire

Salazar said:
SmokyDave's point stands, and you're a git for calling him naive.
Go do something productive with your worthless life Salazar.

Top Bottom