• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SmokyDave said:
Is there really such a thing as a homogenous 'black culture'?

I understand that Black African Americans have a shared heritage and culture (to a degree) but a 'Black culture' sounds a bit odd to me. I expect I'd have more in common (culturally) with a Black man in my city than I would a White man in Russia or much of the rest of the world outside the west, really. I don't really buy into concepts of 'Black culture' and 'White culture'.
esquire said:
I love this type of naive thinking. You act as if de jure segregation didn't exist and de facto segregation doesn't exist.

'Black culture' on a global scale doesn't really exist as a homogeneous entity unless it is meant as a broader term to refer generally to the culture created by African diaspora. Otherwise it's just referred to as the culture of its country of origin.
Salazar said:
SmokyDave's point stands, and you're a git for calling him naive.
esquire said:
Go do something productive with your worthless life Salazar.

this is making black baby jesus cry

SmokyDave

esquire said:
I love this type of naive thinking. You act as if de jure segregation didn't exist and de facto segregation doesn't exist.
No I don't, which is why I made the concession for African-American GAF, specifically.

esquire said:
'Black culture' on a global scale doesn't really exist as a homogeneous entity unless it is meant as a broader term to refer generally to the culture created by African diaspora. Otherwise it's just referred to as the culture of its country of origin.
So, you agree with me then? You've a very odd way of expressing agreement.

esquire said:
Go do something productive with your worthless life Salazar.
Are you normally this needlessly hostile?

Edit: Actually, yes, you are. I recall running into you before and being left dumbstruck by your venomous attitude.

i've never tipped a barber. mainly because i started braiding my hair before i ever had to pay for it myself. i always try and tip my hairdresser though. a few times i just didn't really have it and said "i got u next time" and gave her a double sized tip the next time. whatever works, right?

lightless_shado said:
I should have probably rephrased. The cosby show ran through into the 90s if I'm not mistaken and I meant for it to illustrate my point that after the 80s and 90s we had pretty much no sitcoms that didn't have many stereotypical characters in it.

When we think of the Cosby show, family matters or even fresh prince, we think of shows where for the most part, stereotypes weren't front and center. In the cosby show both parents were present, both had professional jobs, and everyone spoke clearly. Smart guy to some extent was also fantastic, because we had a kid that didn't fit into any stereotype and was a genius.

Since the end of the 90s we haven't seen the same type of thing. We haven't seen a sitcom set in the suburbs where everyone is well educated(smart guy is kind of an exception because although the dad does sound like he's educated and wants to educate his children he works as a roofer but in all fairness a trade job would have proably paid well then too.) Browsing through the black sitcom list today, I don't see anything that could jump out at me as something akin to the gems of the 80s and 90s that portrayed blacks in a very positive light. Not saying shows like everybody hates chris are bad(loved the show while it was still on) just that they're a bit more regressive than progressive because more and more stereotypes are thrown in as opposed to just one or 2.

cPv9b.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Rez said:
this is making black baby jesus cry

Leave Old Dirty Bastard out of this..

Also to Smokey I would say that Black Americans and Black UKers or Black where ever besides Africa share a bit of culture... Do black Americans and black UKers have the exact same culture? No but same for whites in the UK and America. But like they white they do share a culture...

black people stop embarassing me. when you see posts like this, reply nicely, and then bow out. don't feed the trolls.

SmokyDave said:

I understand that Black African Americans have a shared heritage and culture (to a degree) but a 'Black culture' sounds a bit odd to me. I expect I'd have more in common (culturally) with a Black man in my city than I would a White man in Russia or much of the rest of the world outside the west, really. I don't really buy into concepts of 'Black culture' and 'White culture'.
no, there really isn't such a thing, i'm sure i share more in common with the few white and indian people that were born where i'm from than i do with american blacks, but still, there are similarities, and that's what this thread is about.

SmokyDave

Blackace said:
Leave Old Dirty Bastard out of this..

Also to Smokey I would say that Black Americans and Black UKers or Black where ever besides Africa share a bit of culture... Do black Americans and black UKers have the exact same culture? No but same for whites in the UK and America. But like they white they do share a culture...
But isn't it very likely that there will be more common cultural traits between Black UK and White UK (or Black US & White US) than between Black UK & Black US (or White UK & White US)?

It seems odd to draw up cultures along racial lines (with the aforementioned exception of African-Americans) rather than geographical lines.

The Faceless Master said:
black people stop embarassing me. when you see posts like this, reply nicely, and then bow out. don't feed the trolls.

no, there really isn't such a thing, i'm sure i share more in common with the few white and indian people that were born where i'm from than i do with american blacks, but still, there are similarities, and that's what this thread is about.
Thank you for your nice reply. I'm disappointed that you feel the need to label me 'troll' however.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SmokyDave said:
But isn't it very likely that there will be more common cultural traits between Black UK and White UK (or Black US & White US) than between Black UK & Black US (or White UK & White US)?

It seems odd to draw up cultures along racial lines (with the aforementioned exception of African-Americans) rather than geographical lines.

Thank you for your nice reply. I'm disappointed that you feel the need to label me 'troll' however.

I wouldn't say that at all...

For example Japanese Americans, even after 3 generations, still share a culture with Japanese from Japan. Even if they speak no Japanese at all.. Sure maybe they are 100% on the same page but they still share that culture on a level they couldn't share with say black people or white people from the same country..

SmokyDave

Blackace said:
I wouldn't say that at all...

For example Japanese Americans, even after 3 generations, still share a culture with Japanese from Japan. Even if they speak no Japanese at all.. Sure maybe they are 100% on the same page but they still share that culture on a level they couldn't share with say black people or white people from the same country..
I find that really strange. I'm certain you're correct but it just doesn't mesh with how I see the world around me. I'm (very) English but if I emigrate to France, my grand-children will be French. If they've never set foot on English soil and they've always been surrounded by French people (and their parents were born on French soil), I can't imagine how they'd assert their 'Englishness' (or if they'd even want to).

Perhaps 'my people' aren't protective enough of their culture. Perhaps the culture of 'my people' is so pervasive that it's all around me and I wouldn't recognise it until it's gone. I guess that's the double edged sword of being in the (perceived) majority.

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
Perhaps 'my people' aren't protective enough of their culture. Perhaps the culture of 'my people' is so pervasive that it's all around me and I wouldn't recognise it until it's gone. I guess that's the double edged sword of being in the (perceived) majority.

I'm conscious of Welshness, but I do have to recognise that a great deal of what I'm drawing on there was only shaped around 1890 or so - either as part of South Wales' radical industrialisation or as a romanticist counter to it. The icy fury at (perceived and actual) English condescension is part of that. The notion that rugby and difficult manual labor is ingrained in my person is part of that. Religious non-conformism would be part of that if I hadn't been Jewish and got a pass out of that.

A significant reason why it matters to me is because it matters to my family - national identity and community feeling having been pretty much all my Granddad and Gran had - and that mentality doesn't go away.

JCX

- Where you're from : Michigan suburbs
- Where you live : East Lansing, MI
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: My parents are from Chicago, their parents from down South. Both are black.
- Do you know your roots? : My mom's family can be traced back toa man in Africa.
- Your Age: 21
- Favorite musical genre: Indie rock, indie pop, motown
- Your profession/major/career interest: majoring in journalism now, want to go to film school or break into tv writing somehow.
- Your religious affiliation: Kind of lazy, probably bad.
- Hobbies: Creative writing, stand-up comedy, improv, working out, playing videogames (not as much as I used to though)
Nerd question: I've never really had a problem being called a nerd. The bigger thing for me was being called "white" by both white people and black people. It still bugs. Being limited to a set of characteristics that make a person black or not limits the community. I just maintain that as someone who has lived in the suburbs my whole life until college, I act like someone from the suburbs. This doesn't seem to be unique to black people either. I had asian and indian friends who said their parents didn't think they were "insert skin color" enough. It's rough to just attack someone's core identity like that.

SmokyDave said:

Black uk culture is stronger towards US culture full stop

Speaking as a black African born in London there are much more relatives with US blacks

But I'll post more later

But to be honest, blackUK culture is so much more different than US and WhiteUK

It is our own culture and defined differently than Americans. But more affiliated to African or caribbean than America

If that makes sense

SmokyDave

Mecha_Infantry said:

It is our own culture and defined differently than Americans. But more affiliated to African or caribbean than America

If that makes sense
I'm following you (I think). I guess I just find it strange to imagine that people that grew up around me, go to the same bars I do, listen to the same music as me, eat at the same places as me, read the same news as me, watch the same TV as me and follow the same sports as me somehow have a different culture because of the colour of their skin.

I can imagine a cultural gap between me and a Black American but then I can imagine a cultural gap between me and a White American too (gun ownership and work ethic spring to mind). I can't really imagine that much of a cultural gap between me and a Black Englishman.

The only times I've seen the term 'Black Culture' outside of GAF, it's been in a negative context.

SmokyDave said:
The only times I've seen the term 'Black Culture' outside of GAF, it's been in a negative context.

Who used the term around you outside of GAF?
What was it in reference to?

I can guarantee you that discussion on black culture introduced by black people around the world (like in this thread) will generally have a more positive context.

SmokyDave said:
I'm following you (I think). I guess I just find it strange to imagine that people that grew up around me, go to the same bars I do, listen to the same music as me, eat at the same places as me, read the same news as me, watch the same TV as me and follow the same sports as me somehow have a different culture because of the colour of their skin.

SmokyDave said:

SmokyDave said:
I find that really strange. I'm certain you're correct but it just doesn't mesh with how I see the world around me.

208280432v7_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

SmokyDave said:

I can imagine a cultural gap between me and a Black American but then I can imagine a cultural gap between me and a White American too (gun ownership and work ethic spring to mind). I can't really imagine that much of a cultural gap between me and a Black Englishman.

I think those guys just weren't associated with black culture

I might drink in the same bars as my White friends, eat the same kebabs/steak meals with them, but that's the White/English culture

I know when I go out with my blackfriends it's to the black bars that play black music, then we eat some weight-sour stew and ground rice with some Nigerian guinness.

That's how I see the strong difference between White and black cultures

SmokyDave

captmcblack said:
Who used the term around you outside of GAF?
What was it in reference to?

I've usually heard it in relation to symptoms of low socio-economic circumstances. Drug-dealing, disrespecting women, that kinda thing. In short, it's normally used by racists to paint all black people as gangsta rappers.

MWS Natural said:

You're probably right. One things for sure, I don't understand you in particular. You make some pretty fucked up comments in relation to race.

SmokyDave said:
I've usually heard it in relation to symptoms of low socio-economic circumstances. Drug-dealing, disrespecting women, that kinda thing. In short, it's normally used by racists to paint all black people as gangsta rappers.

You're probably right. One things for sure, I don't understand you in particular. You make some pretty fucked up comments in relation to race.
Some see it as positivity in some circles especially with arts and media.

Lemme ask though, I presume you aren't a fan or the MOBOs (For Amercans that is a music show for Music Of Black Origin)

Mecha_Infantry said:

I might drink in the same bars as my White friends, eat the same kebabs/steak meals with them, but that's the White/English culture

I know when I go out with my blackfriends it's to the black bars that play black music, then we eat some weight-sour stew and ground rice with some Nigerian guinness.

This.
It's not that I don't do the same stuff that other non-black people would do within the traditional American culture...it's that in addition to that, I do/eat/speak/experience/understand/live other things that are part of different cultures as well (in my case, it is the Haitian culture). Many of those things - or at least many parts of those other things - can be understood or sourced around other groups of people who are considered "black" in other parts of the world.

I'm doing the same shit on 12/31 into the morning of 1/1 as everyone else in America is - getting fucked up and having an awesome time at a party...but in addition to that, on 1/1 through 1/4, I am going to be delivering a special squash stew to my family and friends because that is what Haitian people do to celebrate the New Year (and also, coincidentally, Haitian independence).

This thread is about discussing things like that, I'd imagine - that is at least one of the reasons why I love these types of threads, and the non-parody ones that used to exist like this before this weekend.

SmokyDave

Mecha_Infantry said:

Black bars? Black music? These terms are pretty alien to me (in the Midlands, here).

Do I need to remove the Roots Manuva from my iPod and replace it with The Carpenters?

Edit: Thinking about it, we did used to have a 'Black bar' here. It was called Blueprint and it was known for being the only club where you could openly smoke weed. I loved that place and mourned its passing greatly :(

Mecha_Infantry said:
Some see it as positivity in some circles especially with arts and media.

Lemme ask though, I presume you aren't a fan or the MOBOs (For Amercans that is a music show for Music Of Black Origin)
No I don't have a problem with the fucking Mobos (apart from the shit acts they choose when they could draw from the richest of musical legacies). Why does everyone assume I'm a 2-dimensional racist? Fucks sake, I try to stress that the differences between us aren't as great as they seem.

SmokyDave said:

Uh yeah...anyways, back to the normal flow of the thread.

DY_nasty said:
One thing you gotta watch out for is those single moms who come in to get their son's hair cut. Every dude in their who isn't on his way to church is gonna eye her down at least twice - gotta make sure your barber is focused or you'll get that leaning hairline.

All the barbers in the shop I go to are Spanish so you know some fine ass mammi's come in there to get their son's hair cut :D .

Byakuya769 said:
So when are we going to start orchestrating meet ups? I already saw a few ppl in my area.

Yeah let me know man I live about 30mins outside of Tampa, not sure who else who is close because I know Miami is a bit of a drive. We should set something up, I have never met anyone off of GAF before.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
SmokyDave said:

Good point.

SmokyDave said:

Well, you can plainly see that this is not the case. I am deeply sorry that your views on "black culture" has been warped to that extent and we ask that you watch/take part in future discussions in here so that you will see what "black culture" is. You're right though, differences between cultures are NOT as great as they seem, but they in fact do exist.

Also, the fact that we are not so different is reason why we embrace everyone who comes in here. Someone from another race/upbringing may come in here, ask a question/point similarities out/etc and we will answer to the best of our abilities if that person is not just trying to be an internet jackass.

SmokyDave

spindashing said:
Well, you can plainly see that this is not the case. I am deeply sorry that your views on "black culture" has been warped to that extent and we ask that you watch/take part in future discussions in here so that you will see what "black culture" is. You're right though, differences between cultures are NOT as great as they seem, but they in fact do exist.
They aren't my views. I said that was the only context I'd heard it in but it's a term I've never used. I'm trying to suggest that many of the things being delineated as 'Black culture' are actually just 'culture'.

spindashing said:
Also, the fact that we are not so different is reason why we embrace everyone who comes in here. Someone from another race/upbringing may come in here, ask a question/point similarities out/etc and we will answer to the best of our abilities if that person is not just trying to be an internet jackass.
Clearly. I feel about as welcome as a nostril-hair in a Spanish omelette.

Veidt said:
Good point.
Much appreciated.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I think what Dave's trying to say is that there is no such thing as a single "black culture". black culture can be anything, just like "white" culture or "Asian" culture can be of a variety of different cultures ( and sometimes even conflicting and contradicting cultures). Black culture in Europe and the USA, is far more compatible with default western culture, than with Black culture in areas of Africa, just like those cultures are not compatible with each other. ( in most parts of Africa, pork is despised, yet among blacks in the USA/Europe, it's a different story.

However, Black culture, as in the use of it as the title for this thread is merely a premise to not fall into the trap of calling it the black people thread. There's black people that aren't technically black.

Again, Black/African both are things much too varied and consisting of a wide range of different features, to be considered a united whole.

Black/African is and should be considered with an ambiguous approach, rather than to attempt to pin it down to a specific.

All I know is there is huge difference between my friends from Ghana , Congo ,Botswana and Canadian. Some of it is just a culture from back home. Language style. Some customs.

One thing shared by all of us and some thing we can talk for hours on hand, Woman. :D

crazy monkey said:
All I know is there is huge difference between my friends from Ghana , Congo ,Botswana and Canadian. Some of it is just a culture from back home. Language style. Some customs.
yes.

and they all fall under the umbrella. and they're all welcome here to talk about their culture and experiences.

we are not monolithic. that's what makes the thread interesting. the combination of commonalities and differences.

so why are we even talking about this right now? this shit is obvious.

crazy monkey said:
One thing shared by all of us and some thing we can talk for hours on hand, Woman. :D
one of the commonalities, yes.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
spitballing here, so:

would it not be preferable for all society to draw up no prior socio-cultural connotations with people due to race? is it not possible that the propagation of exclusively black culture is an unnecessarily defensive act in a world where your racial heritage should have no bearing on the idiosyncrasies of each individual, and is harmful to those who do not wish to have any racial preconceptions made upon their cultural identity?

SmokyDave said:
They aren't my views. I said that was the only context I'd heard it in but it's a term I've never used. I'm trying to suggest that many of the things being delineated as 'Black culture' are actually just 'culture'.

Okay. That's what I got off of what you were saying, that you're trying to say that things placed under the description of "black culture" falls into "culture." And that's where we allow people like you to share similar views/interests/happenings.

You made this example:

SmokyDave said:

People in the same region of course will share that "culture." One thing that comes to mind at the moment are differences in upbringings.

"Black culture" is very broad. Blacks are everywhere around the world and this thread serves as a place where we can learn from one another even if we have regional/cultural differences. Sure they may have similarities towards other cultures and reiterating what I said 10000x times, here's where others can come an express their "shock" or "amazement" that they do things similar.

SmokyDave said:

We just came out of a great Race War on GAF a few days ago. Things around here aren't as "loose" as they were in the first thread due to restrictions placed on us, but day by day it's getting better.

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

would it not be preferable for all society to draw up no prior socio-cultural connotations with people due to race? is it not possible that the propagation of exclusively black culture is an unnecessarily defensive act in a world where your racial heritage should have no bearing on the idiosyncrasies of each individual, and is harmful to those who do not wish to have any racial preconceptions made upon their cultural identity?

Of course, but as long as people have differences amongst each other, there will be people who are proud of such differences and there will be people who will hate on said differences.

SmokyDave said:

Hopefully this implies that hair is an important and valued part of Spanish omelettes. :lol
Seriously though, why wouldn't you feel welcome? We welcome discussion and inquiries about/into black culture.

If your first question is basically "why should this discussion exist - we're all the same anyway", though - you shouldn't feel surprised that the discussion shifts a little to defense/validation of its existence, rather than explaining any other inquiries you may have.

That's all, really.

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

Of course, these things may be true/may be preferable. But the world as it currently is, as it had been, and as it ostensibly will be in the near future isn't like that - ergo, cultural/racial/ethnic differences exist, and they are discussed sometimes amongst people. It would be totally awesome if everybody honestly was like "we are all the same and absolutely no one should have any de jure or perceived deficiencies in society as a function of anything like race/sex/ethnicity/color/religion/sexual orientation!"

Too bad that reality doesn't exist. :(

Imm0rt4l

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

Such a place doesn't exist though, if it did I would agree with you totally.

Imm0rt4l said:
Perhaps this should have been called the black cultures thread, or the Pan-African Cultures thread.
unnecessary. its participants know *exactly* what it means. it's an umbrella for all of us.

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

no.

my idiocyncracies are BECAUSE OF my heritage. you're essentially asking if I'd be happier if I didn't have the heritage that made me who I am. I would not be. You'll not take away what has helped me become who I am. society does not become cool once everyone loses their identity. it becomes lost and aimless. subject to money and power instead of history and tradition.

No.

SmokyDave said:

you know culture goes much more deeper then eating and drinking at same place or enjoying same sports.

Imm0rt4l

Dreams-Visions said:
unnecessary. its participants know *exactly* what it means. it's an umbrella for all of us.
I agree, but it seems some people looking from the outside in don't quite understand that. Is there such a thing as a single black culture? No, their are many, but we have many similar traits. It's especially necessary because African Diaspora has created a world where Africans don't know their roots, this inadvertently created a shared culture amongst all West African Descendants. I'm preaching to the choir though I'm sure.

SmokyDave

Veidt said:
I think what Dave's trying to say...
Yup, bang on. That is what I was trying to say. Again, your understanding is much appreciated.

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

This would be the ideal and this is why 'black culture', like 'white culture' is a concept that doesn't sit easily with me.

spindashing said:
Snipped for brevity, good post though.
I still don't understand why being black is an integral part of discussing broad cultural issues. It seems like an arbitrary and unnecessary divide. Having said that, I accept that A; African-Americans are a distinct cultural group with a broadly shared heritage & culture, B; This forum tends to lean heavily toward the US when discussing 'black issues' and C; This topic is here for a very specific purpose.

captmcblack said:
Hopefully this implies that hair is an important and valued part of Spanish omelettes. :lol
Seriously though, why wouldn't you feel welcome? We welcome discussion and inquiries about/into black culture.

If your first question is basically "why should this discussion exist - we're all the same anyway", though - you shouldn't feel surprised that the discussion shifts a little to defense/validation of its existence, rather than explaining any other inquiries you may have.

That's all, really.
I perhaps should have realised the actual purpose of the thread before commenting. My post was simply asking the question "Is it really better to divide culture along racial lines rather than geographic lines?". I have no desire to see this topic disappear, nor did I have any problem at all with the Negro-GAF topic (although a few comments in there were a bit... dodgy). I just find the concept of racial 'cultures' pretty antiquated nowadays. It feels like a more eloquent "White people drive like this, black people drive like this".

Mecha_Infantry said:

If that makes sense
probably because until a few decades ago, the UK had a bunch of colonies in the West Indies man many people emigrated to the UK from there.

i have a bunch of family in the UK, not as many as in the US, but quite a bit.

Black baby jesus = Ol' Dirty Bastard
Ol' Dirty Bastard = Ghetto
Ghetto = Hood

sounds like it's time for a small topic change up in here.

you guys remember this movie
4v5nd4.jpg

and these little fuckers LOL
2nav810.jpg

who didn't have their white friends trying to bring up the niglets scene all the time when talking about this movie.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Dreams-Visions said:
my idiocyncracies are BECAUSE OF my heritage. you're essentially asking if I'd be happier if I didn't have the heritage that made me who I am. I would not be. You'll not take away what has helped me become who I am. society does not become cool once everyone loses their identity. it becomes lost and aimless. subject to money and power instead of history and tradition.

so you wouldn't be offended if people made certain assumptions of those idiosyncrasies based purely on your race? i don't think i'm being particularly caustic to say that this statement could come straight from the daily mail, a twee right wing tabloid rag.

ghst said:
spitballing here, so:

i'd prefer that if it meant i didn't get followed by security in Target and ignored by the staff and treated as a window shopper in Best Buy. i won't even mention cops.

Being black isn't a necessity to discuss broad cultural issues.
However, being black may help you understand certain specific things that occur specifically to blacks as a function of those issues.

For example, the election of President Obama is something that is globally relevant. However, there is special meaning - and subsequently, interesting discussion - for people of color since the President is, in fact, a person of color. That isn't to say that non-colored people can't participate in such discussion, or even comprehend what is being discussed...but the context of those special discussions may not immediately occur to people who are not of color.

Himuro said:
You guys are splitting hairs.

The only reason I settled with this thread title is because it's the only thing that makes sense that doesn't exclude non-blacks. We had a black people thread before, and apparently that felt inclusive to a lot of people. Evilore laid the smack down and said to make the thread not only more accepting to non-blacks but a more general thread and not an official anything. If you have suggestions on how black people of gaf can talk and discuss elements of culture within of us a people, whether we're American, British, African, Caribbean, or whatever then please suggest it.
"In this thread we talk about black people"

... yeah, that's all i've got ...

SmokyDave said:
I still don't understand why being black is an integral part of discussing broad cultural issues.
I'm not totally sure that it's necessary that you do understand, though? We value our cultural experiences and our commonalities. it's been a starting point historically and at this point, we enjoy it. we will continue to do so.

SmokyDave said:
"Is it really better to divide culture along racial lines rather than geographic lines?"
"Yes".

would be the correct response. as you can see if you (a) read through the thread or (b) read through the original, epic thread, you'll find north, south, east or west...we have a same-page-ness and one-ness in many ways that go well beyond geographic lines. shared experiences and entertaining stories many of us can identify with. there are lots of differences, but there are just as many if not more similarities. the combination of both are what make these threads fun for us. besides, there isn't anything more artificial than a geographic line unless said "line" is an ocean or some such.

besides, it's fun to be able to talk about certain issues to a concentrated group of concerned parties who won't be first compelled to troll or derail the conversation with ignorance. whether you can see the value in all of that or not doesn't matter; we do and we find it important for us. cheers.

SmokyDave said:
I still don't understand why being black is an integral part of discussing broad cultural issues. It seems like an arbitrary and unnecessary divide. Having said that, I accept that A; African-Americans are a distinct cultural group with a broadly shared heritage & culture, B; This forum tends to lean heavily toward the US when discussing 'black issues' and C; This topic is here for a very specific purpose.

Through the anonymity of NeoGAF itself, there's no way to discern a person's race unless that person makes it explicit or one of the picture threads if they so wanted to post pictures of themselves. People in the minority had no way of knowing that there was in fact, others around of their own race other than the occaisonal avatar revealing so, but even avatars aren't great for assumption purposes. With the creation of the last NegroGAF thread, it was sort of akin to a "coming-out" party in that we revealed that there are blacks around here and a lot of them. I am of Haitian descent, and I had *no* idea that there would be other Haitians in the same forum. I cannot even begin to describe my joy at recognizing that and the diversity of a forum which I assumed to not be as diverse as I thought.

Now that we see that we exist (lol), here is a place to speak of issues that come up within our groups. This thread leans heavily to the perspective of US blacks because most of us here are from the US. We do have some others from other countries: Japan, Africa, etc and we get/learn new things from them.

captmcblack said:
That's just crazy, man.
It is such a sweet and juicy fruit...fuck, I want some right now.
Also, mangoes.

oh sweet JESUS. YES.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Himuro said:
Every one person is an individual. This does not meant that people shouldn't have something else to identify with or have a sense of belonging around certain people because HEY PEOPLE SAY YOU GUYS LOVE WATERMELON WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS or WE'RE ALL THE SAME ANYWAYS.
again, harboring a particular sense of belonging or identity around people purely due to race is surely something to reject with every educated fiber of your being?

Top Bottom