• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The British Government Has Introduced Its Bill To Leave The European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2016-2017/0132/17132.pdf

The Text said:
A
BILL
TO

Confer power on the Prime Minister to notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty
on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the
EU.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Power to notify withdrawal from the EU
(1) The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European
Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.
(2) This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European
Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.
2 Short title

This Act may be cited as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act

sammex

BLvkHbg.gif

So a shitty bill designed to neatly bypass the people we elected into government by making sure they actually don't have a say in the process?

Fucking May.

There are some things that will never be forgiven.

The right wing tabloid trash peddling hate, the stupidity of the people that fell for it, and the spineless government for capitulating to an insane decision are all such things.

I no longer have any love for a country that clearly does not have my interests at heart.

Acosta

My heart goes to all of you that didn't want this lunacy.

For the rest, good riddance. You never believed in Europe anyway.

Goodlife

"BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal"

What a fucking shit country I live it.
Bunch of cunts

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There are some things that will never be forgiven.

The right wing tabloid trash peddling hate, the stupidity of the people that fell for it, and the spineless government for capitulating to an insane decision are all such things.

I no longer have any love for a country that clearly does not have my interests at heart.

I'm surprised how quickly I've arrived at the same point. While I've moved around the country for work, I've always resisted moving out of the country. But since the run-up to the referendum its just become so transparent how toxic the press is, and the whole things makes me sick.

That reminds me, I have to renew my passport..

SgtCobra

The fine folk who voted leave will finally be able to enjoy their country without scary brown people and immigrants, and they'll get jobs, lots of jobs, don't forget the jobs. God save the queen.

So a shitty bill designed to neatly bypass the people we elected into government by making sure they actually don't have a say in the process?

Fucking May.

I haven't been following but I'm assuming this was well known before today?

Why didn't the media report about this process beforehand?

A reminder that Labour could delay this in the House of Lords, but won't because their leader left his spine on a flight from Moscow.

UberTag

I'm surprised how quickly I've arrived at the same point. While I've moved around the country for work, I've always resisted moving out of the country. But since the run-up to the referendum its just become so transparent how toxic the press is, and the whole things makes me sick.

That reminds me, I have to renew my passport..
I honestly don't know why we're not burning all of the bastions of right-wing media to the ground.
They will take away everything in life we hold dear the longer we wait.

And fuck the rest of the media for normalizing this garbage.
It's like David Koresh got his own TV channel one day and we were told, oooh we have to be nice to them, instead of calling him a cult leader.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I haven't been following but I'm assuming this was well known before today?

Why didn't the media report about this process beforehand?
It was generally assumed, yes. The government will now proceed with negotiations, present the final deal to parliament, and then say 'vote yes to this or the UK will be dumped out of the EU with no agreements in place and we'll blame you for it on Newsnight'.

BahamutPT

Timeline for the bill

MPs will next consider the Bill at Second Reading. The Bill is expected to have its Second Reading debate on Tuesday 31 January 2017 with conclusion of Second Reading on Wednesday 1 February 2017.

The Bill is then due to be considered in Committee on Monday 6 and Tuesday 7 February 2017, concluding in Committee on Wednesday 8 February 2017 when the remaining stages are also due to take place.

Steejee

On the upside, if the UK fucks up the sterling before Trump fucks up the dollar, my Scotland trip will be pretty cheap.

Randomizer

"BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and

Bunch of cunts
Lol I was going to post this exact thing. What a load of auld shite. Pity the French Revolution never spread to here.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I remember the time when I was a kid and thought "Man the UK and America! Those are the places to live! So cool! Those are the places of the future!"

Times have certainly changed. Stay strong guys. Don't give up. Things will get better again at some point.

FunkyMonk

And Corbyn's going to impose a 3 line whip to force MPs to vote in line with the government even if their constituents voted to remain just like his own constituents voted to remain and will find out there's no-ione representing them at parliament. The sooner Labour get rid of that individual the better.

PJV3

WTF?

Even if Labour all voted against it, it would still pass

I'm on about his 3 line whip and managing to annoy both wings of the party. He should have just said party policy was to let 50 pass but allow MPs to vote against it if they felt strongly about it.

WTF?

Even if Labour all voted against it, it would still pass

Nope - if Labour all voted against it, it'd be on the heads of pro-EU Tories to listen to May. Thanks to the Lib Dems in Richmond back in December, the government now has an even smaller majority. One Tory MP, Ken Clarke, has already indicated he will vote no to Article 50.

In the House of Lords, the Labour benches have power, too. Working with the Lib Dems, they could send the bill back to the House of Commons, which would delay May slightly (although not stop it).

Instead, Corbyn has given up any pretence of holding the government to account.

Fucking May.

What? I'm not in favour of brexit but a bill designed to allow the PM to declare we intend we leave the EU and not anything else is logical in the circumstances. And parliament isn't being bypassed given that they have to pass it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Nope - if Labour all voted against it, it'd be on the heads of pro-EU Tories to listen to May. Thanks to the Lib Dems in Richmond back in December, the government now has an even smaller majority. One Tory MP, Ken Clarke, has already indicated he will vote no to Article 50.

You're living in a fantasy if you think there's some combination of MPs who could stop this at the last minute. It's over.

The fight will be to make sure Britain gets a proper deal which is where Labour and the SNP will come into it.

Dougald

Well, not much to say other than whats already been said over the last 7 months, but here we go.

Ahh Ken, I always liked Ken Clarke. Especially his "accidental" candid comments during the leadership contest last year

Lkr

Bunch of cunts
Maybe the queen will reject this bullshit and disband parliament for you

You're living in a fantasy if you think there's some combination of MPs who could stop this at the last minute. It's over.

The fight will be to make sure Britain gets a proper deal which is where Labour and the SNP will come into it.

Nope, not now that Labour have indicated they'll vote for May's Brexit regardless. Anything that weakens May's negotiating power (!) won't pass.

There was a potential defeat for the government for the Labour Party to explore here. Instead, Corbyn gets his wish for us to get out of Europe.

If folks feel like this is wrong, and that the opposition should hold May to account, then you're best off helping the Lib Dems (and nationalist parties, if you really hate the Lib Dems) smash the Brexit bloc in the upcoming council and mayoral elections.

EDIT: And yeah, Ken Clarke is the one Tory I am perfectly OK with. Sarah Wollaston is sitting pretty close to him on that table, though.

In the House of Lords, the Labour benches have power, too. Working with the Lib Dems, they could send the bill back to the House of Commons, which would delay May slightly (although not stop it).

Instead, Corbyn has given up any pretence of holding the government to account.

Ken Clarke is likely to be the only one, even the 'remainers' Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry have said they'll vote for it now. The Tories don't have a remain wing any more, they're full on leave the EU and no longer really divided on that.

Ken Clarke is likely to be the only one, even the 'remainers' Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry have said they'll vote for it now. The Tories don't have a remain wing any more, they're full on leave the EU and no longer really divided on that.

Easy to get whipped when your rebellion makes no difference - look at the Dems greenlighting Trump's cabinet.

Nope, not now that Labour have indicated they'll vote for May's Brexit regardless. Anything that weakens May's negotiating power (!) won't pass.

There was a potential defeat for the government for the Labour Party to explore here. Instead, Corbyn gets his wish for us to get out of Europe.

If folks feel like this is wrong, and that the opposition should hold May to account, then you're best off helping the Lib Dems (and nationalist parties, if you really hate the Lib Dems) smash the Brexit bloc in the upcoming council and mayoral elections.

EDIT: And yeah, Ken Clarke is the one Tory I am perfectly OK with. Sarah Wollaston is sitting pretty close to him on that table, though.

Your Lib Dem recruitment drive in all these Brexit threads is endearing, but preactically it's a pretty hard sell: since June last year it looks like many UKIP voters have moved over to the Tories (since they're actually in charge and have solidly united behind Brexit). The Lib Dem gains, and they are moving up in the polls, seems to be having the effect of bringing Labour down. If the trend continues and both Labour and Lib Dems end up polling in the 20-25% range, surely that would actually be a disaster for the left, and would result in a Conservative landslide in terms of MPs.

Well, there it is.
It's just a formality and it will pass both houses quickly.

I don't see how any significant amendments can be made, since the bill is very specific already.
No formal discussion of exit terms can occur until after A.50 notification, so you can't add any conditional terms to say "so long as we retain single market access" since any amendment has to be enforceable rather than some abstract wish.

Corbyn is now fucked. If he tries (and fails) to make an amendment, he's trying to delay Brexit for no real purpose. If he makes no amendment, he's gone against his promises and betrays the wishes of most of his voters.

Lib Dems will simply vote against, so that's 6 noes to the left. Only need a few hundred more...

Fuck.

Clive Lewis is allegedly going to be a Labour rebel (from teh grauniad). Maybe he'll be the one to take over Labour in 2020 after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom