• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The British Government Has Introduced Its Bill To Leave The European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

I remember the time when I was a kid and thought "Man the UK and America! Those are the places to live! So cool! Those are the places of the future!"

Times have certainly changed. Stay strong guys. Don't give up. Things will get better again at some point.

Where were you and do you have a spare room ? ;)

TCRS

Banned
Eh I'm generally pro leaving but not a fan of May trying to bypass parliament. The labour amendments make sense as far as reporting to parliament goes.

Damn every time I see news reminding me of the inevitability of leaving the EU I am brought to despair. Can't wait to get out of this country.

Lagamorph

Three more Labour MPs announced they will be defying Corbyn and the three line whip, Thangam Debbonaire, Daniel Zeichner and Jeff Smith.

Jonnax

What I don't get about Corbyn is that he's the MP for North Islington.

They sure as hell didn't vote to leave.

It really does seem that he does not give a fuck about what his constituancy wants.

Except this time people are voting for it and happily enjoying burning themselves.

I had the misfortune of seeing a real time poll pop up on my Facebook feed re-posing the question and it was over 2/3 in favour of leave with a constant barrage of comments entirely consisting of "LEAVE!" " WE VOTED LEAVE!" and "I CANT WAIT TO GET MY COUNTRY BACK!" Like a crazy, feverish wave of insanity.

I don't think any leave voters were bothering at all.

Maledict

It really does seem that he does not give a fuck about what his constituancy wants.

He's the leader of a national party though. Sometimes MPs vote as constituency MPs, sometimes they vote on a national level - particularly when in cabinet or leading a party.

At this point, i think she's just enjoying this.

Theresa-May-strange-stance.jpg

ahh yes the tory leg stance. Still makes me laugh.

CQn00SIUcAACBIK.png

He's the leader of a national party though. Sometimes MPs vote as constituency MPs, sometimes they vote on a national level - particularly when in cabinet or leading a party.

He fails on both measures though.

Leave won by a slim margin. The remain voters are not being represented by the Tory party, so the Labour party aren't exactly representing the nation, by also representing the leave voters in this.

PJV3

Besides the 3 line whip stuff, Corbyn is right anyway, he's going to need the public mood to change to stop it.

Ignoring the result will just add fuel to the fire.

Seiryoden

Corbyn has always been a Bennite eurosceptic. He believes his constituents are wrong.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
He fails on both measures though.

Leave won by a slim margin. The remain voters are not being represented by the Tory party, so the Labour party aren't exactly representing the nation, by also representing the leave voters in this.
Yes, with both major parties backing leave, the near half of the country that voted remain doesn't have any meaningful representation in parliament. Insultingly, the democratic will of the people is used as the excuse for this clearly undemocratic decision.

Apt101

Wow, so they're going to actually do it despite it being a bad idea and still optional? It still is optional, right?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ahh yes the tory leg stance. Still makes me laugh.

CQn00SIUcAACBIK.png
This bullshit is seeping into business now. I've been to a couple of presentations made by British executives and they love to strike a pose.

It's the goofiest thing I've ever seen. I cannot take it seriously. It's even more ridiculous in person. I was like "is she pulling that weird Tory stan... OH MY GOD SHE'S TOTALLY DOING IT".

This bullshit is seeping into business now. I've been to a couple of presentations made by British executives and they love to strike a pose.

It's the goofiest thing I've ever seen. I cannot take it seriously. It's even more ridiculous in person.

An alleged "power pose" that is literally an invitation for a swift kick in the nuts?

Yup, it definitely takes a very special kind of idiot to come up with that one.

Uzzy

If Labour MPs voted as their constituency wanted, then 70% of them would vote for this to pass. If Corbyn offered a free vote, he'd be attacked for showing no leadership over the most important issue in UK Politics this generation. If Corbyn ordered the party to vote against the bill, then he'd be attacked as an out of touch elitist defying the will of the people, and the 70% of Labour held constituencies that voted to leave would be under incredible threat.

There are no good options for Labour. Their best bet is that some of those amendments pass and they're able to get some more parliamentary control over the leave negotiations, but even that could lead to problems if they're perceived as frustrating the will of the people.

Jackpot

Banned

It's the goofiest thing I've ever seen. I cannot take it seriously. It's even more ridiculous in person. I was like "is she pulling that weird Tory stan... OH MY GOD SHE'S TOTALLY DOING IT".

It's all because of that one shot in Skyfall.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

because it's a rubber stamp on a piece of legislation that has already been decided. You don't have to support it, you don't even have to like it but at the very minimum you should respect the referendum result which is the position MPs find themselves in.

Lagamorph

The Author of Article 50 has again stated that it is perfectly possible to withdraw it at the end of the 2 year negotiation period and simply carry on as before.

As for Corbyn, I don't get how anyone is remotely surprised. He's Labour's Nigel Farage when it comes to the EU. He's spent his entire career wanting the UK out of it.

PJV3

So if they do actually leave, how long would it take for the UK to rejoin the EU?

If things are that bad that the UK tries to rejoin then it's about politics and I can't answer to be honest.

The UK will be structurally and legally ready, but it will be in a weak position and I don't know if we would be wanted back.

So if they do actually leave, how long would it take for the UK to rejoin the EU?

I'd assume decades.

Probably longer because the fuckwits in this country would need to come to terms with the EU being a good thing before they could even begin to have rejoining as a legitimate consideration, and even then, we'd get a worse deal than what we previously had.

God, I hate 52% of the country.

PJV3

I'd assume decades.

Probably longer because the fuckwits in this country would need to come to terms with the EU being a good thing before they could even begin to have rejoining as a legitimate consideration, and even then, we'd get a worse deal than what we previously had.

God, I hate 52% of the country.

Isn't the death rate of ye olde people Meant to favour a pro EU vote* pretty soon.

*in theory

Alx

Because of all the Brexit discussion here I started noticing it from time to time among French politicians too. I'm pretty sure Montebourg tried to pull one during the primaries (the one of the left, not the weirdo next to him :D ).

5065506_6_4b89_arnaud-montebourg-jean-luc-bennahmias_5ab00e6e9b763a10ff22480c32a1c3ee.jpg

sammex

Exactly! It's one thing seeing them do it on stage at a conference but in a real life situation it makes people look like utter twats. Even the military are like wtf?

Apt101

Thank you for answering a dumb Yank's questions.

Wow that "Tory stance", Christ UK, I thought you guys were better than that.

PJV3

Problem is that there's no clear sign who does.
There's nothing to say the UK gets to decide, but there's nothing that says the EU gets to decide either.

It will be a court case, I don't think anybody wants it to be reversible because of stroppy threats to quit the EU in future.

Article 50 must have taken 5 minutes to write.

Jonnax

because it's a rubber stamp on a piece of legislation that has already been decided. You don't have to support it, you don't even have to like it but at the very minimum you should respect the referendum result which is the position MPs find themselves in.

If Labour MPs voted as their constituency wanted, then 70% of them would vote for this to pass. If Corbyn offered a free vote, he'd be attacked for showing no leadership over the most important issue in UK Politics this generation. If Corbyn ordered the party to vote against the bill, then he'd be attacked as an out of touch elitist defying the will of the people, and the 70% of Labour held constituencies that voted to leave would be under incredible threat.

There are no good options for Labour. Their best bet is that some of those amendments pass and they're able to get some more parliamentary control over the leave negotiations, but even that could lead to problems if they're perceived as frustrating the will of the people.

Corbyn has always been a Bennite eurosceptic. He believes his constituents are wrong.

I mean I understand that there's no way the bill will not pass.

And I know that many of the constituencies that voted for Brexit are Labour seats.

I just want to point out that the area in which he's supposed to represent is heavily pro-EU because it's pretty much in the heart of London.
And I think the average person voting for Labour in his constituency wouldn't want someone with that kind of eurosceptic attitude.

Also LOL @ that pose. Do rich arseholes have sort of magazine/website/forum they visit to get all the latest developments in being a prat?

Jackpot

Banned
You don't have to support it, you don't even have to like it but at the very minimum you should respect the referendum result which is the position MPs find themselves in.

An MP has to represent their constituents in Parliament, and if they voted overwhelmingly for Remain how can you reconcile that with the above?

Shadow Ministers who have to also get on board with the party are resigning.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ens-quits-shadow-cabinet-over-article-50-vote

And yes, on an issue so big and so potentially devastating, you do have to like it.

The MP said she accepted the referendum result and recognised that she could not block the passage of the EU withdrawal bill and that exiting the EU was inevitable. “But I believe that leaving is a terrible mistake and I cannot reconcile my overwhelming view that to endorse the step that will make exit inevitable is wrong,” she wrote.

To vote for it is to endorse it. It's not surprising that some MPs can't satisfy their conscience over being part of the mechanism for leaving, something Corbyn knows plenty about:

Stevens said she believed Corbyn, who defied the Labour whip on issues of conscience hundreds of times during the Tony Blair and Gordon Brown years, would understand her strength of feeling. “I must follow my principles and my conscience, even where that conflicts with the party’s whip in parliament,” she wrote.

BahamutPT

It will be a court case, I don't think anybody wants it to be reversible because of stroppy threats to quit the EU in future.

Article 50 must have taken 5 minutes to write.

I thought the author actually mentioned he never expected it to be used? Wouldn't surprise me if you were correct.

Bleepey

Didn't Corbyn say he wouldn't vote against anything that caused the UK to leave the single market? Now he backtracks.

Didn't Corbyn say he wouldn't vote against anything that caused the UK to leave the single market? Now he backtracks.

Cause he's a pussy. All I keep hearing is how he is doing the best he can, yet lots of the people who joined to help him feel betrayed by him, he backtracked hard. Now we're left with nobody representing the remain voters and bending to this stupid 'will of the people' which is apparently a green light to do wtf they want regardless of repurcussions. At this rate we're gonna be building wooden ships to go pillage herbs and spices because of 'the will of the people'. We have nobody fighting our corner anymore.

Cause he's a pussy. All I keep hearing is how he is doing the best he can, yet lots of the people who joined to help him feel betrayed by him, he backtracked hard. Now we're left with nobody representing the remain voters and bending to this stupid 'will of the people' which is apparently a green light to do wtf they want regardless of repurcussions. At this rate we're gonna be building wooden ships to go pillage herbs and spices because of 'the will of the people'. We have nobody fighting our corner anymore.

That's the problem with politics, there shouldn't have been a vote in the first place just to appease some fucking Tory backbenchers but here we are.

It could've gone one of two ways it just happened to go the other way. The real problems in politics go much further than this poxy Brexit shite.

Labour membership person called me asking about whether I was going to renew my membership. Told him I wasn't because of their attitude towards leaving the EU.

Omikaru

Shadow Welsh Secretary has just resigned over the Whip.

I'm not surprised. She's my neighbouring MP in a very strong Remain area that is a Labour/LibDem marginal. She really had no choice in the matter.

Personally, I think her resignation is praiseworthy. Corbyn's a useless sack of shit and hopefully the blowback from this is enough to be shot of him.

That's the problem with politics, there shouldn't have been a vote in the first place just to appease some fucking Tory backbenchers but here we are.

It could've gone one of two ways it just happened to go the other way. The real problems in politics go much further than this poxy Brexit shite.

I don't disagree in the slightest. This never should have even been a possible outcome. The vote never should have been offered to the people. In reality, fuck all of the people voting had any idea what they were even voting for. The vote itself was too big of an affair to allow the public to even decide on.

Out entire political system is screwed to the very core when we have no safeguards to prevent an ego war from tanking the economy.

I don't disagree in the slightest. This never should have even been a possible outcome. The vote never should have been offered to the people. In reality, fuck all of the people voting had any idea what they were even voting for. The vote itself was too big of an affair to allow the public to even decide on.

Out entire political system is screwed to the very core when we have no safeguards to prevent an ego war from tanking the economy.
Oh please, leave hyperbole to Trump. I really don't understand why people are so afraid of democracy. Perhaps you should consider emigrating to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom