• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Car You Want, What You Really Have

Status
Not open for further replies.

toohectic

Have: 2001 Chevy Silverado (looks identical to this one)
01silverado.jpg

Want: 1957 Chevy Belair
57belair1.jpg

57belair2.jpg

1962 Chevy Impala (or even a 1963 model would suffice)
62impala1.jpg

And I wouldn't mind a nice wagon like a 57 Chevy Nomad or this 66 Nova Wagon
66novawagon.jpg

When I finally get the time.. I'm gonna start restoring a 57 Belair or a 62 Impala. Someday....

XS+

Banned
Alphasnake said:
That Skyline you have is soooo hott! And my brother just got an RX330 last week. Slick car...but I like your Skyline more. :drools
You know that's just a random pic off the internet right. But my car's the same model.

golem said:
thumbs up to buck with the mad wagon love... the new rs4 should be awesome, i love how the current s4 avant looks.

Haha, thanks man =) My friend's neighbor has an RS6 (one of only a few in the country), too bad it's a sedan ;)

XS+ said:
You know that's just a random pic off the internet right. But my car's the same model.

Exactly the same? Non-turbo four door R33?

XS+

Banned
Non-turbo 4-door R33. Except it's silver not grey :p And it's got chrome rims. Hell I'll take a picture of it later today.

-=DoAvl=-

Discharger said:
It's too bad the XR6 Turbo is an Australia only car - that thing can go like hell.

Not surprising considering it's got a 4.0 litre DOHC 24 valve inline-six

Inline six? I always thought it was a v6.

My dad used to have a '95 falcon/fairmont (bro fell asleep at the wheel and wrote it off!), and man, that 4.0 would go.
I remember dragging this riceboy in his hotted up integra with the ford... he had his hotted up chick next to him. Allz i had to do was plant my foot down, and smile. :) Aussie muscle.

Anyways, a turbo charged XR6 is the way to go. :D

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
golem said:

HAHHAHAA thats crazy... I test drove it last night.... Really nice , there arent any real programs for it now to save any money, because it is in such high demand, but the Hemi version I want is on waiting list, so we will see... I just want to get something this week, or next at the latest....

-=DoAvl=- said:
Inline six? I always thought it was a v6.

My dad used to have a '95 falcon/fairmont (bro fell asleep at the wheel and wrote it off!), and man, that 4.0 would go.
I remember dragging this riceboy in his hotted up integra with the ford... he had his hotted up chick next to him. Allz i had to do was plant my foot down, and smile. :) Aussie muscle.

Anyways, a turbo charged XR6 is the way to go. :D

Very possible it had a v6 before - what I'm talking about is just the new version. The reason I know the specs is because it's in the newest car and driver and I was actually reading it just a day before it was posted in this thread so I still remembered the details, hehe

What I have: 2001 Chevy Blazer LS 4-DR 2WD
002075-E.jpg

What I'd like: If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to get one of the first year model Blazers, put all new parts in it, and make it up with a convertable top. Somewhat like this:
up.jpg

Pimpwerx

What I have:
White 1995 Corolla @ 132,000 miles...blah
95812041990315LRG.jpg

What I want:
2004 Lotus...150lb aluminum chassis...Elise
elise-3-800.jpeg

What I am now going to have to wait until the end of August to have:
2002 MR2 Spyder. Basically the Toyota Elise. I'll give up a couple hundred pounds to the Lotus at stock, and 52hp at the flywheel. But I'll strip it light, drop the same engine in as the Lotus, or try for the freakish Spyder/300hp 3S-GTE mating. :D :D :D Currently top of the list, although I'm still deciding.
toyota_mr2.jpg

2002 WRX. Can be had for the same price as the Spyder, but I'm a bit worried. Hearing about tranny problems, although it might just be the drag boys. But Subaru is being a dick about it. And unlike the Spyder, I can't fill this on 87 octane. Gotta pay premium prices, which sucks right now.
wrx%2012-29-02%20002.jpg

1992-4 MR2 Turbo. Goes like stink, but is about 700lbs heavier than the Spyder.
010306-E.jpg

1989-ish MR2 Mk1. The original looks like crap IMO, and is ancient, but it's still a bit lighter than the Spyder, and cheaper. And obscene power is just a Celica engine or even a V8 away. Hmm...
pic_3.jpg

I guess I'm in a similar situation as the original poster. I plan on getting a car soon, but can't really make up my mind. The car is gonna be autocrossed and used as a daily driver. Drag speed ain't a big deal to me, but is also an option.

The Spyder tops the list right now, and I probably would have bought it already if it wasn't tied to a piece of shit engine. You can drop in a 2ZZ engine from a Celica GTS, but that's still not a great engine. I'm gonna want 250-300hp with that light frame, and the 2ZZ needs too much work. 3S-GTE would be perfect, but the swap is problematic to say the least. The WRX is next on the list, and it's also fast as stink, but even weight reduction will still leave a heavy car, and this thing sucks premium like a high-class whore. The Mk2 MR2 looks sweet, and has the ultimate engine, 3S-GTE. Can probably easily crank 350-400hp out of it, but the chassis is also 700lbs heavier. So besides the power:weight gains being reduced, it goes against my focus on nimble handling. That's where the Mk1 comes in. I hear you can drop in a V6 or V8 with relative ease, the frame is a bit lighter than the Spyder's, and it's got all the mid-engine fun I'm looking for. But old cars creep me out. :(

Anyway, the engine in the back seems like a great idea while I have the chance. Like driving a Ferrari or Porsche at a fraction of the cost. Which one do I choose? PEACE.

Scoobert

I'll give up a couple hundred pounds to the Lotus at stock, and 52hp at the flywheel. But I'll strip it light, drop the same engine in as the Lotus, or try for the freakish Spyder/300hp 3S-GTE mating

Why? Elise engine isn't all that great. For years Type-R engine has been used in it, and it's always been a better car. The Elise isn't anything special, it's just got that "new" factor. I'd rather have older Elise with Integra Type-R engine. It ends up being a much better car.

fart

Savant
i'd skip the mk2 mr2t because they're super rare and i've heard they're a bitch to work on (and don't even think about bringing it to someone else) not to mention the fucked up rear suspension geometry (fixed only 93+ -> even rarer whoo!)

the mk1 mr2t is a piece of shit, even if you can find one that isn't pure dogshit from age, they're not the sturdiest from the get go.

not that you can't do well with one but why? masochism?

mk3 mr2 i don't know. expensive. i don't know if you're loaded or what but buying a brand new car (or slightly used car) and stripping it down, swapping this or that, is not a very intelligent decision in any sense of the word unless you're fucking LOADED.

elise. expensive. is it really worth spending that much on a car that will be a somewhat uncomfortable daily driver (assuming you ever have to drive in traffic) at best?

the wrx is remarkably sensible except 1) insane insurance premiums from everyone running them into walls, embankments, trees, telephone poles, etc. 2) gas

there are middle grounds between semi-exotic MRs, turbo'ed boy racer hot rods and toyota corollas you know

Pimpwerx

Why? Elise engine isn't all that great. For years Type-R engine has been used in it, and it's always been a better car. The Elise isn't anything special, it's just got that "new" factor. I'd rather have older Elise with Integra Type-R engine. It ends up being a much better car.
I'm from the school of thinking that Lotus used to follow, light and agile. You're right, the 2zz is a piece of crap engine for the Elise, but that's not what I like about it. It's the chassis, which supposedly weights 150lbs naked. That kinda gets me hard. ;) I'm looking for big power and low weight. I want as much weight to reside in the drivetrain as possible. anyway, didn't know about Honda engines being used. Been reading too much Spyderchat, and should probably cruise some of the other MR2 forums.

fart: Interesting info. The Mk2 problems I heard about (rear suspension and maintenance). That's why I was gonna limit it to 93-94. Yup, rare gems, but I'm in Miami, where all things are possible. ;) But yeah, repair will be a bitch, and I read about far too many engine rebuilds on the road to ultimate power. And again, it's 700lbs heavier. The Mk1 was a recent suggestion since it is cheapest, lightest, and offers the easiest bolt-on power. And it'll go like hell, but it's old. And as you say, it ain't sturdy. Probably more appropriate to call it a death trap.

The Mk3 ain't that expensive. I'm looking 01-02, which means $13-16k. That's cheap for a RWD roadster. And it'll get 33mpg on 87 octane, which is looking like a sweet deal right now. It can cut on a dime, and will be a slot car in no time. I'm going handling first on anything I get, but the engine is a bugger. I want pocket-rocket status. 200whp is possible with a 2zz swap, exhaust and some internal building. But I'll also get a 6spd tranny with it, and all told, cost maybe $3-4k. Kinda marginal for almost doubling power. But I'd really rather be looking at 250-300hp for that kind of scratch. That would vault it into legend status IMO. :D

The WRX has the problems you mentioned. Which means, I'll pay the same as the MR2 to get the car, but then bleed more on a monthly basis. The power path is cleaner and cheaper though, and AWD > RWD. But MR > AWD >> FR >>>>> FF. The mini-Ferrari. :D

What do you suggest for a middle ground? Keep in mind, I'm going either Mid-Rear or AWD. Nothing else will suffice. I'd can all of them for an Evo/STI or Elise, but those are out of range, even used, and with the exception of the Evo, I can always tune up a WRX or MR2 to hang with its bigger brother, and do it for less. Man, I'd give my left nut for an Evo, but it just ain't gonna happen. :( PEACE.

Scoobert

I'm from the school of thinking that Lotus used to follow, light and agile. You're right, the 2zz is a piece of crap engine for the Elise, but that's not what I like about it. It's the chassis, which supposedly weights 150lbs naked. That kinda gets me hard. ;) I'm looking for big power and low weight. I want as much weight to reside in the drivetrain as possible. anyway, didn't know about Honda engines being used.

You know what Motorex has been doing with Skylines? Their's another company that has doing nearly the same thing but for Elise's for a little longer I think. They replace the engine with a Type-R, making it faster and a better overall car. The US Elise is a little heavier, and made for the US market. I believe the prices were nearly the same for the imported Elise compared to the US Elise. It's not that great of a car once you know about the imported version.

The WRX has the problems you mentioned.

I think the whole tranny issue are with people who never had an AWD car, especially a Subaru. You can't launch an AWD car hard, especially Subaru's AWD system.

Man, I'd give my left nut for an Evo, but it just ain't gonna happen. :( PEACE.

You may give up your left nut, but the Evo will take your right nut too. Lol. Read some of posts above. Mitsu is still not a company I trust.

fart

Savant
i was going to suggest something reasonable like an s13 or miata for roadster. the kind of cheap, tune-able (if that's your thing), tossable cars you can fuck around in. but you're insane dude.

given your options i'd say the most reasonable option you have up there is a mk3 mr2, but only if you skip the engine swap in favor of resale value when you inevitably turn it in for what floats your boat next.

if you need that much power you could try to hot rod (and probably bondo up) an NA mk1 mr2 as a garaged project car and keep driving your yota daily. i don't know man. you're right about the wrx being the easiest road to power. turbo back and tune and you've got a shitload of power there for a modest investment vs a mid engine motor swap.

you don't have a lot of other options if MR is really that important to you.

if the only restriction you place is rwd or awd the field opens up a bit. used 3-series, 99+ non-turbo scoobs, used lexus, mk1 supras aren't as rare and they're pretty cheap if beat up, i'm running out of ideas. honestly, it sounds like you're set on an MR and if so you only have a few options. maybe you will find that supercharged mk1 in great shape with a min of work needed. if you do, more power to you. good luck!

golem

Scoobert said:
You know what Motorex has been doing with Skylines? Their's another company that has doing nearly the same thing but for Elise's for a little longer I think. They replace the engine with a Type-R, making it faster and a better overall car. The US Elise is a little heavier, and made for the US market. I believe the prices were nearly the same for the imported Elise compared to the US Elise. It's not that great of a car once you know about the imported version.

I think the whole tranny issue are with people who never had an AWD car, especially a Subaru. You can't launch an AWD car hard, especially Subaru's AWD system.

i wish they brought over the exige ... the (newer) elises styling is just too crazy for me.

yea awd cars take a bit of finesse to get off the line well... scary to know how many people out there dont bother learning and just try to rev it up and drop the clutch

Scoobert

Wait a minute, I don't know why I didn't catch this. You wwould like an Evo but are looking into an Elise, but the Evo is too much? The Elise is going to be $40k without the dealer markups! You could easily own an Evo or an STi if you were looking at the Elise.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
rkn said:
oh, well thats, cool, i guess. if your gettin help on the cash side guess you have to compromise. i was in the same boat getting mine, but i wound up going for the manual, even though i realized that life would be more tedious, gotta tell you though, if i did wind up getting an auto with this kind of car, personally id be regretting it to this day. i would seriously SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY do searches on those boards for peoples opinions and what not on auto wrx nuances, might change your mind.

So I did as you said...and so far the replies have been positive. The Club's telling me that the 04/05 Auto WRXs are pretty strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom