• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Car You Want, What You Really Have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Have:

2000 Dark Green Nissan XTerra (aka "Hulk"...it's a game me and my friend play, she's an AKA and calls her Metro "Skee-weet" I called my old car Bench Press to make fun of her)

00xterra_3qtr.jpg

Want:

Honestly...I dunno. I want so many things. A Transformer, a motorcycle, a Lotus, I dunno...don't really think about it.

Scoobert

I highly doubt that. General rule of thumb now-a-days is you keep a model running for 4 years on the same platform and then change it around.

For Subaru it's 5 years, and usually minor cosmetic changes every 2 years. The US won't see a new Impreza in 2005. It will be in 2006 with the 2007MY.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Scoobert said:
For Subaru it's 5 years, and usually minor cosmetic changes every 2 years. The US won't see a new Impreza in 2005. It will be in 2006 with the 2007MY.

Alright, let's hope so. I'm throwing down money on an 05 WRX later this year *crosses fingers*

RKN: Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Edit: RKN, don't you post on NASIOC or WRXClub?

Scoobert

Alright, let's hope so. I'm throwing down money on an 05 WRX later this year *crosses fingers*

Lol, now I'm not so sure. No wait, I'm right. Ok wait, lets go by model year: 05 will see no changes, 06 should be the same but Japan will have the new design, then 07 we get the new design.

Yup, we are behind Japan. They will have the new model a year before us. So definitely 2007MY or 2006 calender year is when we'll have the new Impreza on US soil.

AlphaSnake

Scoobert said:
Lol, now I'm not so sure. No wait, I'm right. Ok wait, lets go by model year: 05 will see no changes, 06 should be the same but Japan will have the new design, then 07 we get the new design.

Yup, we are behind Japan. They will have the new model a year before us. So definitely 2007MY or 2006 calender year is when we'll have the new Impreza on US soil.

Yeah, hopefully.

Pachinko

What I have-

Chevy%20Corsica.jpg

although mine is red and the rims look a bit different, also an 89'. IT has only 160 000 clicks on it, not bad for a 15 year old car.

Unrealistic dream car(like if I won the lotto or some shit)
gts1-2.jpg

Realistic dream car
04Jetta.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
6.8 said:
I want...

mini-cooper-01.jpg

I have:

gmcartic.jpg

No!

Not Ottawa buses, they go straight to hell! That's why they're red. At least you haven't post the 85 bus. It's Satan himself. I agree, you really need a car, you poor thing.

MoxManiac

I was clever enough to post this in the wrong thread, so here it is, in the correct one.

Currently have a 96 ford countour.

Personally, I just want a car where the air conditioner stays working, and the driver's side window stops going off the track and fucking up the door's insides. I'm easy to please.

rkn

Alphasnake said:

RKN: Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Edit: RKN, don't you post on NASIOC or WRXClub?

clubwrx.net yeah, sometimes on nabisco, but i thought a while ago iirc you swore off gettin a wrx.

AlphaSnake

rkn said:
clubwrx.net yeah, sometimes on nabisco, but i thought a while ago iirc you swore off gettin a wrx.

I don't know if I swore it off, but I did say I probably wouldn't get one. I even forgot what my reason was. Needless to say, I've been looking around lately - test drove an 05 WRX last week, test drove an 04 Maxima two months ago (piece of shit ride), and test drove a Mazda 6 (awesome!). I narrowed it down to a WRX and the 6. Subaru's giving me a much better deal on a fully loaded WRX (3,000 below sticker) than Mazda is (1500 below sticker). Also, since I want a car with even more punch than my 01 SE Maxima, the WRX kinda' edged out the 6.

WRX rocks

Hey Alpha, have you tried taking a Lancer Evolution for a spin? If I was in the market for a new car and was looking for a 4 door with decent trunk space I'd either go for a WRX or a Lancer Evo. I'd take both for a spin and see which was better.

AlphaSnake

Discharger said:
WRX rocks

Hey Alpha, have you tried taking a Lancer Evolution for a spin? If I was in the market for a new car and was looking for a 4 door with decent trunk space I'd either go for a WRX or a Lancer Evo. I'd take both for a spin and see which was better.

My stick shift abilities are weaksauce. I know the basics, and I've actually driven a stick about 2 months ago, because my friend was too fucked up to drive his car back home...but I'd never go to a dealership and tell them I'm confident in my ability to drive a manual transmission. An EVO and STi come only in stick, so I guess the short answer to your question is no. :p

Scoobert

Alpha, about $500 over invoice is what you should pay.

I wouldn't touch the Evo with a ten foot pole. Mitsu's reliabilitly is horrible, one of the worst. Constantly turning down warranty claims, claiming you at fault. I mentioned it before, Evo's resale value is not very good. Let's not forget the trouble Mitsu is in right now. I don't exactly have faith in them.

If I really wanted an Evo, it would be used and it wouldn't be my daily driver.

AlphaSnake

Scoobert said:
Alpha, about $500 over invoice is what you should pay.

I wouldn't touch the Evo with a ten foot pole. Mitsu's reliabilitly is horrible, one of the worst. Constantly turning down warranty claims, claiming you at fault. I mentioned it before, Evo's resale value is not very good. Let's not forget the trouble Mitsu is in right now. I don't exactly have faith in them.

If I really wanted an Evo, it would be used and it wouldn't be my daily driver.

Yeah, Mitsu's current woes aren't making things any better. The cars are taking a hit, and anybody who buys an Evo now and damages it 3 years from now will find some trouble getting it repaired for a standard price. But I'm rather confident that somebody will probably sweep Mitsu up and buy them out ten-fold.

And as far payments, Subaru was offering me a *fully loaded* 04 for $23,100 and that's with all of the fees and taxes included. After a down of $5000, my smart-finance payments would've been $220 a month. Unfortunately, after my brother's wedding and other stuff, our budget is a bit tight, but the Subaru guys didn't mind. I said we're all still interested in a WRX, and we'll hopefully get an 05 instead. The price on a fully loaded 05 was bit higher (obviously, because they don't need to phase these out ;) ) but it was still only $24,850 fully loaded with all fees + taxes included. That would run me about $230 a month after 5000 down.

rkn

Alphasnake said:
My stick shift abilities are weaksauce. I know the basics, and I've actually driven a stick about 2 months ago, because my friend was too fucked up to drive his car back home...but I'd never go to a dealership and tell them I'm confident in my ability to drive a manual transmission. An EVO and STi come only in stick, so I guess the short answer to your question is no. :p

i would definately recommend a manual for a wrx. not sure how often or how deep you cruise the suby forums, but the auto wrx isn't terribly mod friendly, its a whole different world compared to a manual mod wise. if you just drive a manual for a week you'll be comfortable. after a month, it will be second nature. after 6 months, you'll be launching like a pro (ha maybe not). you'll dig the manual. i was thinkin of drivin by a dealer to see if i can test drive an sti, but am afraid because im sure even my cobb stage 2 set up wont compare to a stock sti.

AlphaSnake

rkn said:
i would definately recommend a manual for a wrx. not sure how often or how deep you cruise the suby forums, but the auto wrx isn't terribly mod friendly, its a whole different world compared to a manual mod wise. if you just drive a manual for a week you'll be comfortable. after a month, it will be second nature. after 6 months, you'll be launching like a pro (ha maybe not). you'll dig the manual. i was thinkin of drivin by a dealer to see if i can test drive an sti, but am afraid because im sure even my cobb stage 2 set up wont compare to a stock sti.

Living in NYC, getting a manual isn't the greatest choice. Also, my mom will be a part time driver of the car, as well, and she doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. Also, I heard they made the 05s a bit more mod friendly, though? They actually changed the exhaust of the car, and did a few other minor things to it.

rkn

Alphasnake said:
Living in NYC, getting a manual isn't the greatest choice. Also, my mom will be a part time driver of the car, as well, and she doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. Also, I heard they made the 05s a bit more mod friendly, though? They actually changed the exhaust of the car, and did a few other minor things to it.

im not exactly sure what you mean by changed the exhaust (if your going to mod it a turbo back is probably the first thing you'd want to do, which means getting a whole new exhaust), but the 0-60 times are way off for autos. unless your doing brake launches. if your really set on gettin an auto, id definately check out some of the 4eat forums on nasioc or i-club, just to see what your gettin yourself into (ill admit im not educated at all on the 05s)). and it isnt that bad, im in la, in the heart of hollywood, and do an 8 mile commute that takes me 30 minutes every day (but i love drivin), sure it aint as easy as an auto, but youll become a pro in no time. and you can lift tons of sh*t with just your left leg. plus gettin the manual is a sure fire way to make sure you and only you get to drive your car, unless they are willing to learn.

AlphaSnake

rkn said:
im not exactly sure what you mean by changed the exhaust (if your going to mod it a turbo back is probably the first thing you'd want to do, which means getting a whole new exhaust), but the 0-60 times are way off for autos. unless your doing brake launches. if your really set on gettin an auto, id definately check out some of the 4eat forums on nasioc or i-club, just to see what your gettin yourself into (ill admit im not educated at all on the 05s)). and it isnt that bad, im in la, in the heart of hollywood, and do an 8 mile commute that takes me 30 minutes every day (but i love drivin), sure it aint as easy as an auto, but youll become a pro in no time. and you can lift tons of sh*t with just your left leg. plus gettin the manual is a sure fire way to make sure you and only you get to drive your car, unless they are willing to learn.

I meant that Subaru removed the dual exhaust that the 04s had, and it just has one now. There's a guy on the Club who posted pics of his WRX Sedan and showed it off. The exhaust is changed and the rims are too. The whole dash was also redesigned. Getting a manual, like I said, is pretty much out of the question. My mom will be driving the car to work on ocassion and she will be paying for half of it (the Maxima is my car in full, I can't pay for both cars in full :p)

I will ask the club though about the new 05ATs.

rkn

Alphasnake said:
I meant that Subaru removed the dual exhaust that the 04s had, and it just has one now. There's a guy on the Club who posted pics of his WRX Sedan and showed it off. The exhaust is changed and the rims are too. The whole dash was also redesigned. Getting a manual, like I said, is pretty much out of the question. My mom will be driving the car to work on ocassion and she will be paying for half of it (the Maxima is my car in full, I can't pay for both cars in full :p)

I will ask the club though about the new 05ATs.

oh, well thats, cool, i guess. if your gettin help on the cash side guess you have to compromise. i was in the same boat getting mine, but i wound up going for the manual, even though i realized that life would be more tedious, gotta tell you though, if i did wind up getting an auto with this kind of car, personally id be regretting it to this day. i would seriously SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY do searches on those boards for peoples opinions and what not on auto wrx nuances, might change your mind.

Triumph

Banned
I have a 97 Toyota Corolla that recently hit 100K miles(same color as one pictured):

85533229hcPIVH_ph.jpg

I can't believe none of you said you wanted electric/hybrid cars(at least that I noticed in my quick scan). I think it would be a very responsible thing to do given our current situation in the Middle East. I want a Toyota Prius:

04.toyota.prius.f34.500.jpg

More realistically, however, I will probably sell my car for a few grand and get an old ass VW beetle and do the biodiesel thing. I have a few friends who already do, so we could split the CHEAP cost of fuel:

coc_8451.jpg

Alphasnake said:

Makes sense if you put it that way. If you could at all pull it off, I'd go with a manual transmission though.

When I was getting my car, all my friends were telling me to get it in standard - I took my driving lessons on a standard but the test on an automatic just to be sure I had no issues, since it was all pretty new to me. When I got the car, I'd pretty much forgot everything about driving manual (except for the extreme basics) and was in a panic for probably the first month an a half or so and was pretty much afraid of driving it for another two or three months - I avoided driving it as much as possible.

After than three to four month peroid though, it all clicked and since then it's been awesome. Even in back to back traffic where your clutch foot will get tired after a while I'd prefer manual over automatic. To me, it gives you so much more control and it gives you a lot more to do when you're driving. Whenever I drive an automatic now somehow I always come away thinking I've been driving a glorified go-kart. It might be a bit more effort off the begingging but is oh-so-worth-it in the long run.

That said, if you're going to get something with an automatic transmission, you could do a lot worse than a WRX hehe

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
what I want and will be getting in the next week or so
p.chrysler.300c.30.5.jpg

what I have right now and about to turn in to get ^^^

jeep0013.jpg

golem

thumbs up to buck with the mad wagon love... the new rs4 should be awesome, i love how the current s4 avant looks.

It's too bad the XR6 Turbo is an Australia only car - that thing can go like hell.

Not surprising considering it's got a 4.0 litre DOHC 24 valve inline-six

bjork

Have: 95 Civic 2-door

Want: Harley Lowrider.

Got no one to drive around with, may as well save on the gas.

snaildog

Yay, oldest car here: 1986 2-door model 3 BMW. Still in near-mint condition and running perfectly. I honestly don't see the fuss about cars... I think it's mostly an American thing; my cousin lived there for a year and was amazed at how much people care about them. For me they're just a tool for getting from A to B. My car is comfortable, reliable and looks pretty cool - not planning on getting a new one for years and years.

XS+

Banned
What I have:

199X R33 Skyline GTS
R33%20Sedan%20Anthrazit%20front%20left.jpg

What I want:
200X R34 Skyline GTR
watermark.php

or

Toyota Harrier/Lexus RX300
227990.jpg

AlphaSnake

XS+ said:
What I have:

199X R33 Skyline GTS
R33%20Sedan%20Anthrazit%20front%20left.jpg

What I want:
200X R34 Skyline GTR
watermark.php

or

Toyota Harrier/Lexus RX300
227990.jpg

That Skyline you have is soooo hott! And my brother just got an RX330 last week. Slick car...but I like your Skyline more. :drools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom