• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Royal Box lineup:

The Duchess of Cambridge will be in the Royal Box with sister Pippa Middleton, as well as David and Victoria Beckham.

Prime minister David Cameron, deputy prime ,inister Nick Clegg, Olympics minister Hugh Robertson, and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, will also be cheering on Britain's best Wimbledon hope in 76 years.

Scotland's first minister, Alex Salmond has travelled to SW19 to watch the match, and Sir Steve Redgrave will also be in the Royal Box today, as well as Chief of the Defence Staff General Sir David Richards.

Former tennis players in the Royal Box include Rod Laver, Frank Sedgman, Stan Smith, Manuel Santana, Neale Fraser, Roy Emerson, and Tracy Austin.

The Duke of Kent will be watching, as well as Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, and Lord Freddie Windsor with wife Sophie Winkleman.

so is Murray 98% or 99% British at this point?

I don't know why people say this? He's a British player, that's the way it works in the LTA, that's who he represents. What should wind people up is they never say his hometown, and act like Scotland is some town in GB.

Read any report about Jessica Ennis, reporters use British/Sheffield.

Andy Murray should be British/Dunblane or Glasgow, but I guess nobody knows town names above Newcastle?

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't know why people say this? He's a British player, that's the way it works in the LTA, that's who he represents. What should wind people up is they never say his hometown, and act like Scotland is some town in GB.

Read any report about Jessica Ennis, reporters use British/Sheffield.

Andy Murray should be British/Dunblane or Glasgow, but I guess nobody knows town names above Newcastle?

It's funny because no one in the media actually calls him Scottish if he loses. They refer to him as British pretty much always. But the myth is self-perpetuating because the media itself report it as if other media outlets do it, whilst they don't.

It's funny because no one in the media actually calls him Scottish if he loses. They refer to him as British pretty much always. But the myth is self-perpetuating because the media itself report it as if other media outlets do it, whilst they don't.

i feel like it happened in 2 articles in like 2006 and people repeated it ever since, even though it was probably a freak occurance.

It really winds me the fuck up because people keep saying it a if they're so clever, witty or better than the media that does this. Like as you say, even though they don't.

At least inappropriate shouting of 'Come on Tim' still has some comedy value if done right.

As much as I want Federer to win... I'd be... ok if it were Murray that won. But only if he beats Federer, not if Federer turns into Federror :<

I only see the press write Scot when they quote Murray which I interpret as either "ok read this in your funniest Scottish accent" or "we think he said this but you never can tell with that accent?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom