• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cheerwine Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

OpeningCoverImage.jpg

So, Cheerwine turned 100 a couple of days ago. I figured there's no better time to make an appreciation thread for the Southern nectar of the gods.

What is Cheerwine?

Cheerwine is a highly carbonated cherry flavored soft drink found primarily in the Southeastern United States. It was created in 1917 in Salisbury, North Carolina, and is the oldest soft drink still made by the same family.

Why is Cheerwine so special?

Besides being delicious (it's been described as "adult crack", which is a description I 100% agree with) Cheerwine is very versatile. It's a fantastic base for barbecue sauce, and often accompanies a Southern barbecue meal. There is Cheerwine ice cream, and the Southern chain Cookout sells incredible Cheerwine floats. Krispy Kreme even had a limited time Cheerwine donut, and other Southern donut places have followed this trend. A local donut shop I often go to had them for a couple of months, and they were superb.

How should I drink Cheerwine?

Drink the Cheerwine that is made with real sugar, and drink it extremely cold. Enjoy one with friends on a hot summer day, and don't forget to smile- it's in the name!

Where can I find Cheerwine?

The official shop is here. If you aren't in the South and want to pick up a case in person, specialty beverage stores often carry it.

rpmurphy

Coincidental that I picked up a can at a restaurant on my road trip today, first time trying. I'm not a cherry coke guy but I liked it.

highrider

Banned
Love the stuff but I have to go to Western Maryland to get it.

Also, people that only drink water, don't eat sugar, this thread isn't for you.

Cth

http://www.leighsells.com/2016/04/cheerwinefudge/

Cheerwine Fudge

IMG_2757-300x225.jpg

Prep: 30 minutes
Total time: An hour or overnight, or whatever.
Makes: a Chinet plate-full

Ingredients:
– 5 oz can evaporated milk
– 1 2/3 cups white sugar
– ½ tsp salt
– 12 large marshmallows
– 12oz bag white chocolate chips
– ¼ cup chopped maraschino cherries
– 2 tbsp Cheerwine
– A couple of drops of red food coloring if you want the Technicolor look, as seen in these photos.

Directions:

Line an 8×8 pan with tin foil and coat with cooking spray. (I used the butter flavor but couldn't taste it later.)

Combine milk, sugar, and salt in a non-stick saucepan and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Do NOT stop stirring or it will burn fast! Trust me.

Once boiling, stir for 8 minutes non-stop. For real. Did you read instruction #2? DON'T STOP STIRRING.

Remove from heat and stir in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, cherries, Cheerwine and food coloring, and mix until it's smooth. (It's going to look really bad right before you add the Cheerwine-if it's looking crumbly and dry, you are on track. Once you add the Cheerwine and KEEP STIRRING it will work out-I promise. Well, I promise that it worked for me!)

Pour into prepared pan and let it cool overnight. Or for an hour or so.

Cut into serving sizes. I cut mine into ½ inch squares since it's super sugary and I don't carry liability insurance for sending people into insulin shock.

EDIT:
http://ncfudge.com/cart/fudge-by-the-pound/cheerwine
$9.95

ryseing

Also, people that only drink water, don't eat sugar, this thread isn't for you.

I do hope this doesn't turn into one of THOSE threads. Yes folks, sugar is bad. But Cheerwine is a very special beverage for many people, myself included. It tastes like home. Nothing wrong with wanting to be reminded of home once in a while.

Pretty good stuff. Got a bottle of it a few months ago at a specialty shop. That's the only place to get it here in Utah with out paying high shipping.

While I enjoy the flavor, it seems to go flat much quicker than other sodas :(

@ryseing I see. I do remember before it became readily available in southern MD and parts of NOVA, I remember a co-worker at the time would bring some back from NC when he had to do deliveries down there. This was in 2006 I believe. Good to see it slowly creeping its way up the coast!

Cth

Cheerwine Cherry Cobbler

https://www.ourstate.com/cheerwine-cherry-cobbler/

Cheerwine-Cherry-Cobbler_700-web.jpg

What you’ll need
Filling

1 to 2 pounds fresh cherries, pits and stems removed
2 (12 ounce) Cheerwine sodas – regular, not diet
½ teaspoon cocoa
½ teaspoon almond extract
Topping

1 cup self-rising flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ stick unsalted butter, melted

RECIPE:
https://d3m7xw68ay40x8.cloudfront.n...4622/cheerwine-cherry-cobbler-recipe-card.pdf

Cheerwine is amazing. As a transplant to nc.. It's my go to drink at cookout. Can't get anymore nc than that!

Also Bojangles. And Wendy's tries to curry favor in the local market by offering it, as well.

(Though my preferred pairing is 2 chili dogs from Yum Yum's in Greensboro, across the street from my alma mater. Ah, I miss that place, since I'm now living in Charlotte.)

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I've had Cheerwine a handful of times (I'm in Canada) when I visited North Carolina.

I still dream about it. So good.

painey

When I worked for the Nashville Predators I would walk 3 miles a few times a week at lunch time to go to Cookout, and when I didn't get a shake I would get Cheerwine. So good.

Cth

Just some quick things I found:

Cheerwine Ice Cream

Makes about 5 cups
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (about half a 14-ounce can)
3/4 cup evaporated milk (about half a 12-ounce can)
1 1/4 cups Cheerwine, chilled
1 cup whole milk
In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale yellow and combined; set aside. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, bring heavy cream just to a boil. Very slowly, add hot cream to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add condensed and evaporated milks. Chill in refrigerator until completely cold. Whisk in Cheerwine and milk. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions until the mixture has the consistency of soft serve. Place ice cream in freezer until set to your liking. Serve and enjoy.

threecheersforcheerwine.jpg

Cheerwine Baked Beans

Serves about 4

3/4 cup Cheerwine
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 15 1/2-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained
Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk together Cheerwine, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and molasses. Stir in onion and beans; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Bake until thickened and bubbly, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

Recipe-Jul-6.png

Cheerwine Barbecued Chicken

Easy Ribs with Tangy Cheerwine Glaze
Use a disposable aluminum pan for this made-in-the-oven recipe.

Serves 4
for ribs

2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 pounds baby back pork ribs
4 cups Cheerwine
for glaze

1 1/2 cups Cheerwine
1/2 cup cherry jam
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Preheat oven to 400°, and begin preparing ribs. In a small bowl, mix together salt, brown sugar, black pepper, and chili powder; rub all over ribs. Divide ribs between 2 large disposable aluminum roasting pans, being sure to place meat side up. Pour 2 cups Cheerwine into each pan, and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast ribs, switching pans' positions halfway through cooking, until very tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

While ribs cook, prepare the glaze. In a medium-size saucepan, whisk together Cheerwine, jam, brown sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, and soy sauce; set over medium heat. Let cook, whisking occasionally, until reduced and syrupy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.

Remove ribs from oven when tender. Remove foil and ribs from pans; pour fat and remaining liquid out of pans and discard. Carefully arrange for oven rack to be about 8 inches from broiler (no closer); preheat broiler. Brush ribs all over with prepared glaze and return to pans, placing meat side up. Broil for about 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Serve with extra glaze on the side.

cheerwine-bbq-chicken.jpg

Cheerwine Caramel Corn

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cheerwine ice cream syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Place popcorn in a very large bowl.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, cheerwine syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.

Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for half an hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

cheerwine+caramel+corn+3.JPG

Cheerwine Float

Order at Cookout

o-231-700x750.jpg

rambis

Banned
I have it from time to time at cook-out. Never heard of it before eating there and didn't know it was a thing down here.

Growing up in south western Virginia, Cheerwine was super common. Puts a smile on my face seeing it pop up at grocery stores and general stores throughout the southeast. Love a nice glass bottle of it chilled on ice.

Cheerwine is the greatest. For a brief time about a decade ago, I think it was being bottled somewhere in Illinois or Iowa, so I was able to score some on the couple trips I made between Iowa City and St. Louis.

Haven't seen it at retail since, and I'm loathe to pay the $30+ to have a 12-pack shipped to Wisconsin.

I miss it so.

Belfast

You guys are killing me. Grew up with this stuff, but pretty hard to find out west. A local (largely) Pepsi distributor gets it sometimes. Felt like I saw a few bottles here in there in stores for awhile, but it seems to have disappeared again. A BBQ place (that isn't around any longer) even had it in their fountain for awhile.

The SE needs to quit hoarding this treasure. Liquid gold, my friends.

Edit: We also need Cookout. BADLY.

Mathieran

Banned
Cheerwine is amazing. I don't drink pop often but when I do this is usually my number one craving. Never heard of it til I moved to the Carolinas.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I've run into Cheerwine out of the region in stores like World Market and I think I saw some at Marshalls or one of those similar stores since they often have snacks and nonperishable foods.

Fuchsdh

Cheerwine Cherry Cobbler

https://www.ourstate.com/cheerwine-cherry-cobbler/

Cheerwine-Cherry-Cobbler_700-web.jpg

What you’ll need
Filling

1 to 2 pounds fresh cherries, pits and stems removed
2 (12 ounce) Cheerwine sodas – regular, not diet
½ teaspoon cocoa
½ teaspoon almond extract
Topping

1 cup self-rising flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ stick unsalted butter, melted

RECIPE:
https://d3m7xw68ay40x8.cloudfront.n...4622/cheerwine-cherry-cobbler-recipe-card.pdf

This sounds delicious.

There's got to be some place in NYC that stocks this, but I have no idea where. Definitely a great soda since I love cherry-flavored anything. Brings back good memories of Richmond.

Deepwater

Growing up in NC, you sort of just treat it like a regular everyday part of life (like Cookout and Bojangles) until you actually go elsewhere

I only get a taste for it when I'm out of the state for an extended period of time, which sucks.

edit: speaking of Bojangles, real G's know bout this right here
10708137914_a09acafa73.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom