• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

ohkay

I wanted to pick up Time Bandits, but looks like it sold out. Guess I'll have to wait for the Barnes and noble sale

Ridley327

June slate is up:

GregoryShawn3Films_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

762_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

763_box_348x490_original.jpg

764_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

761_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

546_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

My Dinner with Andre is getting a separate Blu-ray release, but no change to the cover art it had on DVD. I expect that we should be anticipating more separate releases of the BBS box, as I imagine that there's a fair few people out there wanting Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show on their own.

big ander

!!! at this valerie edition. 4K transfer, alt scores, Jires shorts. Stacked.

I do kind of wonder why they're doing this before a Daisies update--I think that film is a lot more popular. and it'd be cool to see them get on some other Czech New Wave stuff I've had trouble finding: Courage for Every Day, Larks on a String, Diamonds of the Night. This is a start at least.

While Criterion Forum's whining about the standalone FEP re-release and Criterion using Janus's poster for Valerie, I'm excited to watch The Bridge, which I don't believe is available on streaming atm. It'd make a neat double-feature with Ballad of a Soldier, the Soviet counterpart released that same year. The Shawn/Gregory box is awesome for those who haven't gotten those releases, and it's a clever way to get more of an audience to buy from the company based on A Master Builder's pedigree. Not hot on The Fisher King's cover...something of a mediocre slate in terms of covers, though each release looks meaty in supplements.

Courage for Every Day is on Hulu, as is Return of the Prodigal Son also from Schorm. So that could be a dual release in the making. The later Menzel features ought to happen, and I'd love for a Hrabal box to materialize sometime. Morgiana too!

Ridley327

While Criterion Forum's whining about the standalone FEP re-release and Criterion using Janus's poster for Valerie, I'm excited to watch The Bridge, which I don't believe is available on streaming atm. It'd make a neat double-feature with Ballad of a Soldier, the Soviet counterpart released that same year. The Shawn/Gregory box is awesome for those who haven't gotten those releases, and it's a clever way to get more of an audience to buy from the company based on A Master Builder's pedigree. Not hot on The Fisher King's cover...something of a mediocre slate in terms of covers, though each release looks meaty in supplements.

Courage for Every Day is on Hulu, as is Return of the Prodigal Son also from Schorm. So that could be a dual release in the making. The later Menzel features ought to happen, and I'd love for a Hrabal box to materialize sometime. Morgiana too!
I'm not even sure there's anything to be angry about with Five Easy Pieces being in the slate, since it didn't even take up a slot.

Downhome

Not Criterions, but here is my latest batch of new titles...

(I did recently buy the Watership Down Criterion however, along with The Adventures of Mark Twain.)

bhtah8G.jpg

Good timing for a Bogdanovich Blu, too, since he was talking about Hollywood tentpoles lately. MoC filling a need as usual; meanwhile I'm wringing my hands over whether or not to get La signora di tutti which just went OOP.

Downhome

Congrats on managing to secure one of the signed copies of Fright Night!

Thanks! It was pure luck, haha.

Paper Moon is wonderful, an absolute favorite of mine. All of the MoC discs are region locked now aren't they? I was collecting them at the start before they did that!

Fjordson

I have read some stuff online about Criterion possibly getting them back, as well as the Studio Canal stuff since they've done fuck all with the licenses.
Ooh wow, I hope so. Melville is one of my favourite directors ever so it's a bummer to not really own any of his stuff.

berzeli

Banned
Someone posted about region-b releases before me? I'm slipping...

I have read some stuff online about Criterion possibly getting them back, as well as the Studio Canal stuff since they've done fuck all with the licenses.

Criterion might get them back, but it isn't because Studiocanal has "done fuck all", but rather that Lionsgate has done fuck all with their distribution deal of Studiocanal's library. But I would advice against getting your hopes up too high for a Criterion deal. They might opt for releases for their own (for the most part excellent) discs with a new distribution partner.

Ooh wow, I hope so. Melville is one of my favourite directors ever so it's a bummer to not really own any of his stuff.

Do you have a region free player? Studiocanal has put out L'Armée des ombres and Le Cercle Rouge and both those discs have superior transfers compared to the Criterion ones, albeit that the L'Armée des ombres is a bit thin on extras.

codhand

a rare DVD addition to the collection

it's on youtube, but the quality is ass. it's animated using hand painted watercolors on glass. won the oscar for best animated short the year it released, circa 2000

Ridley327

Looks like we should be expecting Criterion to reissue Hiroshima mon amour later this summer, with the new 4K restoration. Someone posted an image of an interview with the music critic Tim Page that will be included with this new release:

Fjordson

Got my Zatoichi set in the mail. This thing looks amazing. And I'm pleasantly surprised by how small it is. Works for me in my house which is already crowded with shit.

overcast

Anyone want to sell me on America Lost and Found? Haven't seen any of the movies. Are the special features great?

Regardless of your particular tastes you should.
Will cop when it comes out on Blu in the US.

Ridley327

Screen Archives Entertainment is having a sale on Twilight Time titles, beginning today. Here are the pricing tiers:

GROUP 1
$24.95
PICNIC
PAL JOEY
BITE THE BULLET
BELL, BOOK, AND CANDLE
BYE BYE BIRDIE
IN LIKE FLINT
MAJOR DUNDEE
THE BLUE MAX
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
USED CARS
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO / THUNDERBIRD 6

GROUP 2
$19.95
RAPTURE
ROOTS OF HEAVEN
SWAMP WATER
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS
DESIREE
THE WAYWARD BUS
COVER GIRL
HIGH TIME
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
BONJOUR TRISTESSE
BELOVED INFIDEL
LOST HORIZON
THE BLUE LAGOON
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA
PONY SOLDIER
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE
PHILADELPHIA
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE
THE DISAPPEARANCE
SEXY BEAST
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
ALAMO BAY
THE OTHER
MINDWARP
JANE EYRE
OLIVER
THE WAY WE WERE
ROYAL FLASH
ZULU
KHARTOUM
TITUS
MAN IN THE DARK 3-D
THE FRONT
THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY
CONRACK
ALL THE KING’S MEN
EQUUS
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE
MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION
FATE IS THE HUNTER
TWO RODE TOGETHER
THE MECHANIC
HEAVEN KNOWS MR ALLISON
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
BRANNIGAN
RADIO DAYS
VIOLENT SATURDAY
BORN YESTERDAY
RIFF RAFF / RAINING STONES
FOLLOW THAT DREAM
THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA
MAN HUNT
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
CHE!
THE KILLER ELITE
THE DOGS OF WAR
LA BAMBA
SALVADOR
THE VANISHING
THE BELIEVERS
UNDER FIRE
AUDREY ROSE
FLAMING STAR
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
FUNNY LADY
THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE
THE FORTUNE
INHERIT THE WIND
HEAVEN AND EARTH

GROUP 3
$14.95
FEVER PITCH
RITA, SUE, AND BOB TOO
THE FIRM
RESURRECTED
SAVE YOUR LEGS!
BANDIT QUEEN

GROUP 4 (DVD)
$9.95
THE KREMLIN LETTER
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WOMAN OBSESSED

It's worth noting that many of the movies in group 1 have been reported as having less than 500 copies available already, so I wouldn't dally on those if they tickle your fancy. The sale goes live at 4 PM EST today, which coincides with their pre-orders for their April slate:

-The Story of Adele H.
-The Fantasticks
-Richard III
-The Remains of the Day
-April Love
-Zardoz: this one is probably going up today, but TT has been forthcoming about possible delays as a result of when they actually get the 4K transfer in from Fox, so we'll see. In any event, I would not wait on pre-ordering this one if you're interested: cult releases always go fast.

swoon

ah, awesome.

Bunny Lake Is Missing
Man Hunt
Violent Saturday
Equus
Sexy Beast
Broadway Danny Rose
Rapture

are all highly recommended.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Make sure you guys select no frames.

Also Borgnine is in 2 of those sale movies, I like those odds.

cj_iwakura

It really depends on the film. In nearly every case, the films they put out come with an isolated score option for audio, but that can often be the only real supplement that's provided.

An edition I got at the library(white border with a random picture of the final duel) had some neat interviews, and maybe a commentary, but not much else.

Fjordson

Gone through 8 Zatoichi films so far. I'm a little shocked by the consistent quality. Some of them are sort of B-grade flicks maybe, but some of them are legitimately great. And all of them have been entertaining.

I also feel bad for having never heard of Shintaro Katsu until a few months ago. His performance as Zatoichi is incredible.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow has released their July slate:

UK only:

11102948_953324028034925_2912596809343980710_n.jpg

11130145_953325794701415_1456111688836874861_n.jpg

11074998_953327941367867_8913547599707425579_n.jpg

UK & US:

11096566_953331791367482_5183979796339761823_n.jpg

10923213_953332788034049_6832051822873486425_n.jpg

US "only": (already available in the UK)
11118855_953329998034328_2567490235782685013_n.jpg

A rather splendid assortment of films.

Top Bottom