• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

The July slate:

196_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Moonrise Kingdom is also coming in July, but strangely no box art yet.

berzeli

Banned
*lots of great films*
Moonrise Kingdom as well.

holyshit that is amazing. Like really.

Besides Hiroshima Mon Amour and My Beautiful Launderette finally, finally, finally getting blu ray releases I am very glad to see Criterion keep pushing the works of Jan Troell. If not for them being masterpieces (they are) at least for getting the word out that there are more Swedish directors than Bergman. Now if someone, anyone, could get anything by Bo Widerberg released, that would be peachy.
ps Killers is so bought

I'm assuming that they are using the same material as Arrow films did for their releases of the two films which is good news and they are so worth picking up. Not just for the "enjoyment" of seeing Ronald Reagan.

berzeli

Banned
Sorry for double posting but Eureka Entertainment just announced A Letter to Three Wives as part of their Masters of Cinema series.

1555450_996378397039523_3583608928100196573_n.jpg

Steamlord

I'm all over Valerie and Hiroshima when the sale comes around. And Moonrise Kingdom, probably. And probably some other stuff from my wishlist too. I never show enough restraint during those damn sales.

overcast

I'm all over Valerie and Hiroshima when the sale comes around. And Moonrise Kingdom, probably. And probably some other stuff from my wishlist too. I never show enough restraint during those damn sales.
Yeah, I end up buyin 3-4 movies I've never seen. Can't contain myself. Thankfully they are legitimately great deals.

Oh, The Black Stallion and Moonrise Kingdom...looks like I'll be adding those to my collection.

Though I still need to get Watership Down and Time Bandits first. And Limelight when it comes out next month.

Fjordson

I'm up to film no. 20 in the Zatoichi box set. What an incredible collection this is. Not every film is a masterpiece or anything, but they're all at least entertaining. Shintaro Katasu's performance as Zatoichi gets better and better as the series goes on and some of these have legitimately great cinematography. Really beautiful to watch.

Definitely one of the best blu-ray purchases I've ever made. Anyone who has any sort of interest in samurai stuff and sees the set on sale for around $100 should jump on it.

Steamlord

Yeeees. They're really on a roll lately.

I still need more Dreyer on Blu though. It's odd that Master of the House is the only one so far.

berzeli

Banned
BFI (Q3 releases):

Arrow Video (August releases):

UK:

UK&US:

US (already available in the UK):

Masters of Cinema:

Artificial Eye (Q3 releases):

The Roy Andersson Collection (4 Disc set)
11 standalone Chaplin releases (more details here) with a boxset coming in Q4
The Tarkovsky Collection is also slated for Q4

...Criterion who?

berzeli

Banned
Sorry for double posting but man this thread is dead at times.

Criterion is working on a release for Day for Night as per this interview with the AV Club.

The third bluray release for The Third Man (second one by Studiocanal). Based on the new 4K restoration which premières at Cannes. Youtube compression aside the restoration looks rather lovely, it will be released in cinemas in the US but for now only Europe will get the bluray.
6259_tn.jpg

Also, in July Eureka Video will release Stalag 17 and Listen Up Philip, no word on whether both or none of them will be part of the Masters of Cinema line.

cj_iwakura

I kind of like how old school that cover is. The cat's a nice touch, too.

I saw Blow Out yesterday.

+
  • Amazing cinematography
  • Love the schlock horror satire
  • Good acting(Lithgow as a baddie is always fun)
  • Chilling ending.

-
  • WAY too overscored
  • Kind of lost me near the end

overcast

Fuck yes. I've been hoping for this. Still would like a Blue Velvet one although that's available on Blu.

I'm a disgrace for not watching The Third Man. I missed the day I was supposed to see it in class a few years back and have never redeemed myself.

omgkitty

Fuck yes. I've been hoping for this. Still would like a Blue Velvet one although that's available on Blu.

I'm a disgrace for not watching The Third Man. I missed the day I was supposed to see it in class a few years back and have never redeemed myself.

It's one of my favorite films. There's a reason it's still so well regarded after all these years.

Steamlord

Scream Factory is releasing Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3. I enjoy them for what they are, but I don't know whether I like them enough to buy them. 3 would normally be a definite no-go for me considering all the gore was censored, but this release apparently contains all of those deleted scenes, but only as deleted scenes, not integrated into the film itself. Decisions, decisions... (I already own the Scream Factory release of the first one, obviously.)

I also ordered the Kino releases of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, so I'm excited about those.

cj_iwakura

Everything won't work for everyone. Plenty of masterpieces have put me to sleep (not literally but y'know)

Not Fellini's work though, you're nuts.

I can tell the man's gifted. I love the visuals and it's obviously a clever script.

I'm just not enjoying the film very much.

And heh, some classics have literally put me to sleep. Picnic At Hanging Rock for one.

Fjordson

Took my nephew to Barnes & Noble, he had to get something for school, and of course I saw the blu-Ray section out the corner of my eye. Bought Blow Out on a whim. Man what a great movie. I don't like all of De Palma's work, but when he's on he's so good. Some amazing camera work in here and Travolta is perfect.

cj_iwakura

Took my nephew to Barnes & Noble, he had to get something for school, and of course I saw the blu-Ray section out the corner of my eye. Bought Blow Out on a whim. Man what a great movie. I don't like all of De Palma's work, but when he's on he's so good. Some amazing camera work in here and Travolta is perfect.

I enjoyed it, and yeah, the camera work was ace.

I thought that was a more fascinating look at film making than 8 1/2 was, that's for sure.

Fjordson

I enjoyed it, and yeah, the camera work was ace.

I thought that was a more fascinating look at film making than 8 1/2 was, that's for sure.
Your post on it earlier in the thread is what put it into my head I think lol. I had never seen it before, despite being an early Travolta / De Palma fan. Definitely worth the purchase.

Fox Mulder

I went to the nearest Barnes and Noble and they acted like I was stupid going to their fancy bookstore for movies. Didn't have any movie section.

Fjordson

I went to the nearest Barnes and Noble and they acted like I was stupid going to their fancy bookstore for movies. Didn't have any movie section.
Ah, that's lame. B&N can definitely be hit and miss as far as blu-ray stock, just depends on the location.

There's one near me that has almost nothing, just one small section with all of their blu-rays mashed together. Luckily the other one about 15 minutes away is a massive store with a big movie section. They have a whole aisle solely for Criterion blu-rays.

cj_iwakura

this isn't as uncommon of an opinion as you'd think. i myself find the film to be too self-indulgent and quite boring.

Thank heaven for that.

Now for a film that did live up to its reputation: The Hidden Fortress. Started out slow, but Mifune is great, and it had me by the throat before long.

I didn't pick up on many Star Wars parallels apart from the two bumbling leads(though I thought a certain duel was totally going to be Obi-Wan Kenobi/Vader style), but I could see it being inspirational in general. The music was also spectacular.

Also, is it just me, or are Criterion kind of bad at subtitles? They leave lots of lines untranslated, and some are flat-out inaccurate.

Well it's pretty much known they're doing it. I would guess maybe a December release? The Apu Trilogy is November, so the only other time they normally do a big box set is December traditionally.

Before trilogy is like A Brighter Summer Day. They're "working" on it.

berzeli

Banned
Before trilogy is like A Brighter Summer Day. They're "working" on it.

Hey now apparently Mullholland Drive is actually coming soon (unless that key tease is the cruelest thing ever) so anything is possible. Which reminds me, what will I do now with my bluray copy of that film? It is no use to me unless I can taunt Americans with it.

But yeah, the Before trilogy is coming at some point in time. Probably.

Top Bottom