• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

274_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
768_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
770_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

769_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
771_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Ridley327

I would have preferred something a bit more obviously pulpy, but the Dressed to Kill cover does give one a distinct trashy airport novel cover feeling, which suits the film well.

There's also GASP a new Eclipse set out that month, too:

Eclipse_Varda43_box_348x490_original.png

overcast

Never seen Day For Night or Dressed to Kill. Both are certainly tempting.

By the way, not totally Criterion related. Thought you guys would appreciate it though. 40% off all Blu Ray sale starts on June 9th at Barnes and Noble. I just got two 20% off coupons that go through the 21st of Junes. Plus I'm a member. I'm gonna eat. Might grab a set or something. Possibly Twin Peaks or just a random Blu Ray.

I read that this is usually a tell tale sign that a Criterion 50% off sale will come within a month or so (July). That being the one that always comes in summer.

Fjordson

Never seen Day For Night or Dressed to Kill. Both are certainly tempting.

By the way, not totally Criterion related. Thought you guys would appreciate it though. 40% off all Blu Ray sale starts on June 9th at Barnes and Noble. I just got two 20% off coupons that go through the 21st of Junes. Plus I'm a member. I'm gonna eat. Might grab a set or something. Possibly Twin Peaks or just a random Blu Ray.

I read that this is usually a tell tale sign that a Criterion 50% off sale will come within a month or so (July). That being the one that always comes in summer.
Oh damn, thanks for the heads up. I'm a B&N member too, gonna have to grab some.

overcast

Yeah, it's kind of crazy how B&N is completely useless for 90% of the year but these deals are absurdly good with stacking coupons + membership. Can get sets more than 50% off. Craziness.

Fjordson

Yeah, it's kind of crazy how B&N is completely useless for 90% of the year but these deals are absurdly good with stacking coupons + membership. Can get sets more than 50% off. Craziness.
Lmao, yeah, I never use B&N really other than blu-ray sales (I have a Kindle for books).

cj_iwakura

Wow, this movie is a trip so far. I love the framing of the shots, the freeze-frames, transitions, classic stuff.

On the downside, again, I am not a fan of Criterion's translations. It feels very straight-forward, and losing a lot of the subtleties of the original text.

Translating 'yoroshiku' as 'Hello' for instance.

cj_iwakura

Whoever made that film was on all the drugs. Yikes.

Gorgeous visuals, but wow. What a trip.

So many amazing effects, I don't know where to start. Visual feast of wizardry.

Guzim

I finally get to watch the number 1 on my list today.

House_obayashi.jpg

Library just got it in. :D

I remember watching House for the first time. I actually saw a clip from YouTube, and that is what sold me on the movie. When it got released on blu-ray, I bought it, and I loved it. It's one of my favorites.

berzeli

Banned
This might very well be the cover:
Thought it could just be the included book.

I can't find it at the moment but a guy working for arrow has said that it isn't the final cover, though I suppose that could mean that it just is missing rating logos. Oh well, time will tell.

Ridley327

I don't know if it means it's going to be a part of September's announcements, but Criterion is adding an HD version of Le Samouraï to iTunes next month. The wheels are finally motion, at least!

big ander

The Criterion description of Blind Chance calling it his "first work of metaphysical genius" is flat-out wrong (that'd be the superior Camera Buff). Cover's cool and all but if anybody has only seen Three Colors/Veronique/Decalogue I'd recommend just springing for the Kino DVD set. I'm sure the Blind Chance transfer is beautiful and perhaps the extra 10 minutes take it from very good to great, yet the Holland interview is ported over from the Kino set and this edition inexplicably lacks any of the other numerous shorts and interviews on that set. Like, the Annette Insdorf interviews on the Kino set are incredibly insightful, and the shorts Talking Heads and Tramway are fantastic. What a disappointingly slight edition.

The Bruce Beresford titles seemed interesting and I couldn't remember why I recognized his name; I probably should know him as the director of Driving Mrs. Daisy but I still haven't seen that, so I vaguely recalled it from the decently placid Tender Mercies. Breaker Morant appears to be fairly well known while Mister Johnson seems much more under the radar. I'll try to catch one and/or the other.

EDIT:
Breaker Morant is excellent, but Mister Johnson has to be one of his most obscure movies going by Letterboxd's popularity ranking. I'd say watch the former on their Hulu channel before springing for a copy.

right that's what I meant by catch. Over a year ago I effectively stopped buying home releases of any movie I hadn't already seen.

Breaker Morant is excellent, but Mister Johnson has to be one of his most obscure movies going by Letterboxd's popularity ranking. I'd say watch the former on their Hulu channel before springing for a copy.

obin_gam

I'm not sure if I agree with the Moonrise Kingdom cover. Why do they have the name twice? Why so saturated colors? What happened to the classic "Criterion Covers for Wes Anderson Movies Theme"?

MikeMyers

So I just watched Rene Clair's À Nous la Liberté (Freedom for Us) and I think I saw the Criterion symbol there. Maybe that is where it originates from?

kms_md

breaker morant on criterion BD? i will take one please (and one for my dad who introduced me to this movie so many years ago).

Top Bottom