• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

I've been wanting to check out the 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg, and I had thought it was out of print, but I checked Criterion's site, and they link to Amazon. Hopefully this means there will be a blu-ray set soon.

I got three Yasujiro Ozu DVDs, both of which contain two films on them, as a gift from my sister for my birthday back in October. I think that was a BFI rather than criterion release though.

I also have a Fritz Lang boxset containing five of his (first period) German films, which I'm pretty sure is criterion. All really awesome stuff.

The sale has started. What's everyone getting? I think I'm just going to get the Wes Anderson films that I still don't have, and maybe a box set. I would love the Les Blank set. Maybe at least one Eclipse set, as I still don't own any of those.

hugocésar;171164708 said:
The sale has started. What's everyone getting? I think I'm just going to get the Wes Anderson films that I still don't have, and maybe a box set. I would love the Les Blank set. Maybe at least one Eclipse set, as I still don't own any of those.
Oh sweet I can preorder Hiroshima Mon Amour for a discounted price

Ridley327

The website on both desktop and mobile is a shitshow right now, but I managed to nab Time Bandits, The Fisher King, and Odd Man Out to start with.

XShagrath

I was contemplating hitting up my local store today. Then I heard there might be some 10/20% off coupons this weekend, so I'll hold off. I'm not in fear of anything selling out, and if it does, they can just order it to the store for me.

codhand

I've been wanting to check out the 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg, and I had thought it was out of print, but I checked Criterion's site, and they link to Amazon. Hopefully this means there will be a blu-ray set soon.

that would be awesome.

Just patiently waiting for some Weeresethakul. All the releases in NA are shamefully terrible and I love his films.

He won at Cannes, I'm surprised Criterion hasn't picked up any of his films yet. Tropical Malady...god I want you.

Hmm all I really want is Hiroshima but I'd have to pay for shipping anyway...

Should I just wait for my store to get it in? Or hope they get it in?

overcast

Gonna look into:

Don't Look Now is a sure cop.
The Killing
One of the Truffaut's. Love 400 Blows and Jules and Jim.
La Haine
Band of Outsiders or Weekend. Which one do you guys prefer?
Dressed to Kill (maybe, is this actually good or just pulpy?)
Yi-Yi
La Dolce Vita

It lasts until the 27th, so that's 2 paychecks from now until then.

Fjordson

Band of Outsiders imo

And I'm not sure what I'm going to get this sale. Been buying up a ton of Ghibli blu-rays, so I'm gonna try and keep it light. Maybe just Ride the Pink Horse and La Notte.

Ridley327

Gonna look into:

Don't Look Now is a sure cop.
The Killing
One of the Truffaut's. Love 400 Blows and Jules and Jim.
La Haine
Band of Outsiders or Weekend. Which one do you guys prefer?
Dressed to Kill (maybe, is this actually good or just pulpy?)
Yi-Yi
La Dolce Vita

It lasts until the 27th, so that's 2 paychecks from now until then.

You can cross off Dressed to Kill for now, since that's an August release and won't have any discounts.

omgkitty

I picked up these so far:

Ride the Pink Horse
Gates of Heaven / Vernon, Florida
Odd Man Out
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Make Way for Tomorrow
Limelight
The Fisher King
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
The Killers

I'll pick up Hiroshima Mon Amour and I might get Here is Your Life as well. Ugh these sales kill me every time :\

Ridley327

Yeah, whatever B&N did for their sorting options was ill-advised.

Also ill-advised: mixing in OOP Criterions in with your filtering.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow did their announcements for October;

UK only:
11692667_1009570885743572_8118398760291965106_n.jpg

10957478_1009570259076968_2933157072517601570_n.jpg

10410581_1009566599077334_596043007199792236_n.jpg

11659224_1009567389077255_6812902476209106049_n.jpg
(The Yoshida boxset is technically region free but only sold in/from the UK)

UK & US:
Also announced for US release (September) is two standalone Walerian Borowczyk releases The Beast and Immoral Tales

berzeli

Banned
Not in love with the Love + Anarchism box art, but it's not terrible. Those UK rating symbols really do ruin a box.

There will probably not be any logos on the box itself, I think that the ratings logos have been on separate cards on all of the fancy boxsets from Arrow so far. But yeah, those logos sure are ugly.

omgkitty

Fjordson

Man I would love that Chungking blu-ray, out of my prince range though.

Someone needs to get the license for that again on blu.

XShagrath

Looks like there's a new batch of coupons out (15/20%), so check your inboxes, or I might have some spare codes after I hit up the store this evening.

BN.com has finally limited coupon usage to once per batch, but in-store should be able to use multiple coupons (once per transaction) if you get a nice cashier.

overcast

I used one of my 20% offs in store. I have one more and now. they have one for an online purchase 🙏

Need Chungking Express on blu mane

Ridley327

Soooooooo Criterion just uploaded a picture of the laserdisc they put out for Seven on the image host they use for social media. It's the same host they've been using for some of the other teases they've been doing recently (McCabe and Mrs. Miller, getting Straw Dogs back), and while I think it would be one of the least likely things they could get from Warner Bros., even with the deal they have in place now, it's nothing to ignore right away.

cj_iwakura

Soooooooo Criterion just uploaded a picture of the laserdisc they put out for Seven on the image host they use for social media. It's the same host they've been using for some of the other teases they've been doing recently (McCabe and Mrs. Miller, getting Straw Dogs back), and while I think it would be one of the least likely things they could get from Warner Bros., even with the deal they have in place now, it's nothing to ignore right away.

I have the really nice New Line CE(one of the first DVDs I bought), but still, I might be interested.

XShagrath

I used to have that LD set. It was packed!

Guzim

I picked up Foreign Correspondent, Days of Heaven, and the Samurai trilogy last night from B&N. I've never seen Foreign Correspondent and Days of Heaven before so I'm excited to watch them.

XShagrath

I did my first run to B&N last night and picked up quite a few with my leftover GCs from December, plus a little bit out of pocket. Was able to use a coupon on each item, so that helped to bring the price down a bit.

Andre Gregory & Wallace Shawn: 3 Films, The Bridge, Don't Look Now, Fellini Satyricon, The Fisher King, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Gates of Heaven / Vernon, Florida, The Rose, Two-Lane Blacktop, Valerie and Her Week of Wonder, and Watership Down.

I've still got some extra 15% coupons for non-members. If anyone wants to save me some money by taking them off my hands before I use them, just shoot me a PM and I'll send you one (I've got 8 left). They're one-time use online, but I didn't have any problems in store using multiples (YMMV).

Ridley327

It's not super big news or anything, but I've been reading that Christine is going to be re-released in the US on Blu by Sony towards the end of September. You may remember this as being one of Twilight Time's releases a couple of years ago, and while they have been in the process of doing their own re-releases, this is the first time that one of the studios have exercised a clause in the contract to take a film back. I read that TT managed to negotiate a few more licenses from Sony as a result of handing the film back to them, so it's kind of a win-win for everyone involved.

EDIT: Also, a list of the big announcements Scream! Factory made at SDCC:

We just revealed the following upcoming Scream Factory blu-ray releases at our Comic Con panel this evening. Here's the exciting line-up:

1. WOMEN’S PRISON MASSACRE (1983)
2. BLOOD AND LACE (1971)
3. TROLL (1986) [paired with Troll 2]
4. GHOST STORY (1981)
5. THE GUARDIAN (1990)
6. THE CAR (1977)
7. NIGHTMARES (1983)
8. DEATH BECOMES HER(1992)
9. GARBAGE PAIL KIDS: THE MOVIE (Collector’s Edition) (1987)
10. THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (Collector’s Edition) (1985)

We have no details to report on this time other than that Death Becomes Her, Blood and Lace and Troll are slated for November 2015 street dates. The rest will roll-out in the months to follow with ROTLD likely releasing in Summer / Fall of 2016.

I have waited so goddamned long for Scream! Factory to get their hands on The Return of the Living Dead. Let's hope they can sort out the licensing issues to get the unaltered theatrical soundtrack as an option for the release, too.

Guzim

I went back to B&N last night and purchased The Sword of Doom and The Lady Vanishes. I wanted to buy Badlands, but there seemed to be something loose inside the case.

Top Bottom