• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

big ander

Grabbed Nikkatsu Noir online with the 20% coupon. If another batch of coupons comes before the sale ends I'll grab either Weekend or Band of Outsiders. Former is the next Godard I have on my list to watch which'd be convenient, but I prefer to buy movies I've already seen and the latter is one of my favorite Godard's and the best of his they have on blu.

overcast

Fuck, love adventure flicks. May just grab that. It's okay that it isn't Brazil-tier.

Grabbed Band of Outsiders ☺️

It's not even half as polished as the likes of Brazil, but it's got a great adventurous spirit to it that makes it really easy to get caught up in it, as well as having some genuinely hilarious dialogue and delivery.

"SLUGS?!?"

That's good to know. I already picked up Time Bandits from the B&N sale without knowing anything about it, solely because of how much I enjoyed Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I'm game for funny adventure flicks.

Also picked up Watership Down. Probably going to hit up another B&N to get some of the Fellini films I'm missing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Was happily surprised that the Gates of Heaven/Vernon, Florida disc actually has a restored copy of Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe as an extra.

Ridley327

That's good to know. I already picked up Time Bandits from the B&N sale without knowing anything about it, solely because of how much I enjoyed Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I'm game for funny adventure flicks.

Also picked up Watership Down. Probably going to hit up another B&N to get some of the Fellini films I'm missing.

It's definitely more along the lines of Baron Munchausen.

EDIT: IFC confirmed that Clouds of Sils Maria was picked up by Criterion for the home release. Not surprising, given how much they do with Assayas already, but just in case anyone was wondering.

berzeli

Banned
So, in not-so-fancy releases news:

UNIVERSAL HAS FINALLY FUCKING FIXED SPARTACUS!
91hIgGRUINL._SL1500_.jpg
(yes I'm slightly excited about this)

cj_iwakura

Nice cover, but I'll keep my Criterion edition.

I've been mixed on Eric Rohmer's films since The Bakery Girl of Monceau(a classic), but I'm really enjoying La Collectionneuse. His films have a refreshing directness to them. No fluff, just right to the heart of it.

And boy are they pretty.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Turns out both B&Ns near me don't even have movie sections anymore. Both have that giant fucking Nook crater in the center though.

Ordered La Dolce Vita and A Day in the Country online.

Ridley327

Chances are that Criterion passed on doing a Blu-ray when Universal first issued it due to its checkered reputation (putting it kindly), and will probably consider it now that there's a good source to work with. The DVD they put out was stacked as hell, and it doesn't look like Universal is repeating any of those special features.

Fjordson

Picked up Kagemusha so far, not sure I'll get anything else. Was holding back for the Amazon Prime Day sale, though that's turned out to be pretty shitty.

One bright spot was Lord of the Rings trilogy for $27. Extended editions no less.

Mulholland Dr. and The Brood are instant buys for the next sale.

Edit: I also may need to pick up that My Own Private Idaho blu since one of my film profs in college who died did an interview for one of the supplements.

berzeli

Banned
YESSSSSSSSSS

Kwaidan and Mullholland Dr.? Good job Criterion, good job.

Chances are that Criterion passed on doing a Blu-ray when Universal first issued it due to its checkered reputation (putting it kindly), and will probably consider it now that there's a good source to work with. The DVD they put out was stacked as hell, and it doesn't look like Universal is repeating any of those special features.

I'm just thrilled that the film will no longer suffer its unwatchable transfer, it's ridiculous how bad the current release is.

Also with regards to Criterion putting out a new version; I'm kind of doubtful since Universal has been starting to make efforts to restore (and release) their back catalogue by themselves. And so far they're the only major American studio which doesn't make me sad with regards to how they (mis)treat their films.

Ridley327

One piece of big news that the covers obviously don't mention: the new version of Kwaidan will be the three-hour cut. This had long been one of the more controversial releases that Criterion put out back in the day, since they only offered the original theatrical cut with about 20 minutes shaved off and the transfer they did had a wildly different color scheme than any other release and a smaller aspect ratio.

big ander

Not a fan of that Brood art. Wish it included Stereo along with Crimes of the Future as well. Do they have another Cberg in the works that might have Stereo on it? Whatever, I'll probably buy The Brood no matter what.

I guess nobody but me was waiting on a 4K restored transfer of My Own Private Idaho, huh?

Well fuck ya'll then

hype for Mulholland Dr of course

Fjordson

Thankful the Barnes & Noble sale is still going on, can't believe I was saving up for the Amazon one. Basically a garage sale of all the trash Amazon had in the corner of the warehouse.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I desperately need Criterion to do a new edition of Dead Ringers, on Blu-ray. Also, it'd be amazing if they could do Cronenberg's Crash. That seems up their alley and is very needed.

Ridley327

I desperately need Criterion to do a new edition of Dead Ringers, on Blu-ray. Also, it'd be amazing if they could do Cronenberg's Crash. That seems up their alley and is very needed.

I can't imagine Criterion not putting either of those on their wishlist for WB, and I really can't imagine WB being too fussed about giving those to Criterion. WB and New Line are mentioned on the sell sheets for My Own Private Idaho, so the WB flood is soon to begin.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Should I get the BBS set? I love Jack and Easy Rider, but have never seen any of the rest. Thinking of picking that up w/ It's a Mad World and The Big Chill.

eerik9000

Not directly Criterion related, but appareantly Universal Pictures published their Q2 report and revealed a list of films they are currently restoring and remastering.

Mastering & Restoration
  • Completed 4k feature restoration project: Spartacus
  • Continued to work on the 4k restorations of: “Animal Crackers”, “Cocoanuts”, “Duck Soup”, “Horse Feathers”, “Monkey Business”, My Man Godfrey” and “Shanghai Express”. These will be completed in Q3
  • Began 4k restoration work on “Ghost of Frankenstein”, “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”, “House of Dracula”, “House of Frankenstein”, “Son of Frankenstein” and “The King of Jazz”. These will be completed in Q4
  • Began 4k restoration work on silent features: “Last Warning”, “Oh Doctor” and “Outside the Law”. These will be completed near the end of 2015
  • Began film element research and scan tests for the 4k restoration of “One Eyed Jacks”, Marlon Brando’s only directorial effort. This work is being partially funded by the Film Foundation
  • Completed standard (non-restoration) feature re-mastering work on “Phantom Lady”. Also began standard re-mastering work on “Something for a Lonely Man”, “Winchester ‘73”, “Desperado Outlaw Wars” and “Desperado Badlands Justice”

Hopefully this means Marx Brothers boxset and Universal Monsters vol. 2 boxset on Blu-ray in 2016.

Danchi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does any UK/Euro GAF know of any good places to buy Criterion releases? I generally buy from Amazon.com/eBay sellers but that means occasionally having to deal with import fees.

Great to hear about The Brood and Kwaidan. Will definitely grab both of those.

Also super-interested in the remastering of Winchester '73, even if it's not a full-on restoration. All the Anthony Mann-James Stewart westerns are excellent, and Winchester '73 and Man From Laramie are my personal favorites. Man From Laramie got a Blu release from Twilight Time, wonder if that means the same will happen with Winchester '73.

ngower

Picked up My Beautiful Laundrette and Tootsie today. Really wanted the Shawn/Gregory set and The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but I need to really good with money given the uncertainty of my post-internship employment status. Still debating on whether or not to exchange Tootsie back for Eddie Coyle, but the lack of special features on the latter really makes me think I made the right choice.

Would have loved Two Days, One Night and Blind Chance in this sale, but oh well.

overcast

Rumor has it the sale will be extended to the 3rd of August. At least that's what I read. May mean another batch of coupons coming in too.

For those that are interested.

JTripper

Did Criterion announce a Before Trilogy set yet?

No?

Okay, back to Barnes I go to buy more Criterions that are not the Before Trilogy.

Never bought any criterion stuff (or many Blurays in general) besides Seven Samurai, but I figured this sale was a good point to jump in and really get my collection going.

Here's what I've bought so far:
-Videodrome
-Harakiri
-Tragedy of Macbeth
-High and Low (just ordered this tonight)

Likely will get a few out of these as well: Eraserhead, Persona, Blow Out, In the Mood for Love, and Days of Heaven

I'm really impressed with what the transfers and packaging. Like damn. Those main menu screens alone put univeral and warner's to shame. (Speaking of universal, got the Jaws bluray with the criterions. It may not be as slick a package but the quality of the transfer and the supplements are absolutely incredible)

Fjordson

Never bought any criterion stuff (or many Blurays in general) besides Seven Samurai, but I figured this sale was a good point to jump in and really get my collection going.

Here's what I've bought so far:
-Videodrome
-Harakiri
-Tragedy of Macbeth
-High and Low (just ordered this tonight)

Likely will get a few out of these as well: Eraserhead, Persona, Blow Out, In the Mood for Love, and Days of Heaven

I'm really impressed with what the transfers and packaging. Like damn. Those main menu screens alone put univeral and warner's to shame. (Speaking of universal, got the Jaws bluray with the criterions. It may not be as slick a package but the quality of the transfer and the supplements are absolutely incredible)
Yeah, Criterions are some of the slickest blu-rays around and every one I've ever bought is a great transfer.

Let me endorse getting Blow Out 'cause that's such a dope movie. Watched it for the second time last night. De Palma at the top of his game.

Top Bottom