• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Overjoyed about the Rivette box set, I've only seen Le Pont du Nord and Duelle but look forward to delving into more! Le Pont du Nord is fantastic and already has a great bluray (MoC and Kino both did one, I believe) so it's worth checking out. Paris Nous Appartient is streaming on Hulu Plus, too.

But yeah, I wish Celine et Julie was on there too.

omgkitty

Just a heads up that Don Hertzfeldt has a Kickstarter going on right now that ends in the next few days for a blu-ray, which thanks to stretch goals, now has just about everything he's ever done on it. The blu-ray is only available through this, and won't be sold after, so if you are interested, you should probably get it.

Everything included:

It's Such a Beautiful Day
World of Tomorrow
The Meaning of Life
Rejected
Billy's Balloon
Wisdom Teeth
Lily and Jim

Also something super secret, a new interview and a teaser for his upcoming project.

The QA section is also hilarious:

IS THIS A PRE-ORDER?

no, if the blu isn't funded we just won't make it. this release also won't appear in shops. it's inevitable that we'll wind up with extra copies to sell off online - there's always some overage when you produce something like this in bulk - but there probably won't be very many.

CAN I RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE COPY OF THE BLURAY, FOR FRIENDS?

yes, please add $23 to your total for each additional copy of the bluray that you'd like (up to 5), and make a note of it for us on the end-of-project survey.

WILL THE BLURAY BE REGION-FREE?

yes

WILL THERE BE A REGULAR DVD MADE AVAILABLE OF THIS RELEASE?

no, IT'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY is already available on the DON HERTZFELDT VOLUME 2 DVD, and WORLD OF TOMORROW just doesn't look right in fuzzy standard definition. bluray only this time.

BUT I DON'T HAVE A BLURAY PLAYER

really? why not?

I SOLD IT FOR DRUGS

i'm sorry

YEAH I'M GOING THROUGH A ROUGH PATCH

sorry

I SOLD SOME BLOOD TOO

sorry

IT WAS NOT MY BLOOD IT WAS THIS WOMAN'S

what?

BLOOD

ok

HOW ABOUT A REWARD WHERE WE TALK ON PHONE IN REAL LIFE ABOUT THINGS WE LIKE

no, those are really weird. who would want to do that? why do those rewards exist?

HOW ABOUT A REWARD WHERE WE GO SEE A MOVIE AND EAT A DINNER IN REAL LIFE

no

HOW ABOUT A REWARD WHERE YOU COME TO MY HOUSE IN REAL LIFE. PUT ON THIS WIG, I PAY YOU LOTS. WE SIT TOGETHER IN MY DUNGEON. IN REAL LIFE.

no!

OK I COME TO YOUR HOUSE. I FEED YOU GOOD. I STEAL NOTHING. PUT MY MONEY IN YOUR MOUTH.

it is strange that you are able to continue typing on here

WHERE DO SEND MY POLAROIDS? DON IN LOVE WITH ME. HE MAY NOT KNOW ME BUT WE PLAY LITTLE GAME FOR LONG TIME NOW. MY BODY IS ON FIRE KRACKLE KRACKLE POW. DANCING! DANCING!

:(

WELL I'M CONVINCED!!!! HERE IS ALL MY CREDIT CARD WOOO

great thanks for your support ✨ ✨ ✨

I AM INCAPABLE OF FORMING MY OWN OPINIONS, IS THERE SOME SORT OF PRESS RELEASE WHERE I CAN READ MORE?

omgkitty

11892033_1031479496886044_6192101211454146428_n.jpg

11855856_1031480156885978_1945953027561315581_n.jpg

omgkitty

That Yakuza Papers set is godly. Time to sell my DVD set, I think. Arrow is killing it with these boxsets this year.

I just wish they would have waited a month. That and the Rivette set at the same time is ridiculous, not to mention we all know that Apu Trilogy set is coming from Criterion at the same time and who knows what else. Plus Arrow's sets are all limited numbers.

Shiv47

I just wish they would have waited a month. That and the Rivette set at the same time is ridiculous, not to mention we all know that Apu Trilogy set is coming from Criterion at the same time and who knows what else. Plus Arrow's sets are all limited numbers.

Yeah, staggering these a bit would make sense, I agree. Maybe they figure there isn't much overlap between Rivette and Fukasaku fans?

The Yakuza set is 5000 units, 2000 for the UK and 3000 for the US.
There's a lot of new Special Features and this sounds particularly good:

150-page hardback book featuring writing on the history of the yakuza film genre, the background and continuing importance of the Battles series, and additional essays on the men who made them, including a newly-reprinted and fully annotated edition of Paul Schrader’s classic 1974 Film Comment essay Yakuza-Eiga: A Primer, a new, exclusive English translation of screenwriter Kazuo Kasahara’s 1974 Scenario magazine essay on his writing process for the first four films, as well as new essays and interviews from critics and authors Chris D., Grady Hendrix, Patrick Macias, Tom Mes, Mark Schilling, and Jasper Sharp.

Damn, I already bought the Rivette set so as tempting/gorgeous as the Fukasaku set I doubt I can afford both.

I'd love to see more Fukasaku released, though. Just recently watched The Fall Guy and had a great time.

Ugh and the MoC Imamura set is so tempting too, my poor wallet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Maybe this is a good place to ask, but I just got a blu ray drive for my PC for playing all regions, so what is the best software out there for playback for Windows? Any good free solutions?

It's not available for pre-order yet, is it? I really want that Yakuza Papers box set but don't see it on Amazon and it doesn't let me click on it on Arrow's UK site (do they have a US one?).

Shiv47

It's not available for pre-order yet, is it? I really want that Yakuza Papers box set but don't see it on Amazon and it doesn't let me click on it on Arrow's UK site (do they have a US one?).

They (Arrow) are supposed to have the U.S. edition up for preorder shortly, I read. You should be able to order on their UK site anyway, though; I've ordered from it before in the U.S. The UK version can be ordered now there.

Fjordson

Ashamed to say I've never heard of the Yakuza Papers films, but looking them up: wow! Never seen them, but I'm buying that set for sure.

Yeah, won't let me click either. The "shop" link isn't there yet it seems on this page http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/battles...l-format-blu-ray-dvd-limited-edition/#trailer

Edit: looks like you can pre-order here

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=battl&product_id=605

Not sure if that's the UK or US version though, it says "Region: A+B".

omgkitty

Yakuza Papers is up for pre-order on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XBC9Y2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's $150 though

I want to order directly from Arrow for the cheaper price, but I'm not sure if this is the UK or US version. It lists both regions http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Battles&product_id=605

They should post a different link when the US version goes up. I'll post it in here if I see it. I would assume it will probably be around $90 - $100 in the US.

Scavenger

Yakuza Papers is up for pre-order on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XBC9Y2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's $150 though

I want to order directly from Arrow for the cheaper price, but I'm not sure if this is the UK or US version. It lists both regions http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Battles&product_id=605
UK discs are 100% identical to the US discs. Only difference is the BBFC age rating symbol printed on the disc and packaging.

Scavenger

Aren't they different regions, though? I know the US is region A, I thought UK was region B.
They are different regions, but the discs are compatible with both regions. Except for most of the films that were already available in the UK before Arrow released them in the US (e.g. the UK region B locked releases of Blind Woman's Curse, Mark of the Devil.), all films that are released in both the UK and US have identical discs that work in both regions. I have the UK releases of Massacre Gun and Retaliation and both run fine on my Japanese region A PS3.

Fjordson

They are different regions, but the discs are compatible with both regions. Except for most of the films that were already available in the UK before Arrow released them in the US (e.g. the UK region B locked releases of Blind Woman's Curse, Mark of the Devil.), all films that are released in both the UK and US have identical discs that work in both regions. I have the UK releases of Massacre Gun and Retaliation and both run fine on my Japanese region A PS3.
Ohh damn, I didn't know that. I've never really imported much so I just figured everything was locked to one region these days.

I guess that's why the store page for the Yakuza set lists both A and B for region. Thanks for the info.

omgkitty

They should post a different link when the US version goes up. I'll post it in here if I see it. I would assume it will probably be around $90 - $100 in the US.

So maybe I was wrong. I looked on their site, and there's only one listing for blu-rays that have been released in both territories, which makes me think they don't have separate listings? It's kind of confusing, and kind of shitty that their US releases from their site have to go through the exchange rate.

Ridley327

So maybe I was wrong. I looked on their site, and there's only one listing for blu-rays that have been released in both territories, which makes me think they don't have separate listings? It's kind of confusing, and kind of shitty that their US releases from their site have to go through the exchange rate.

To be fair, even with the exchange rate, the set is still nearly $50 cheaper than it is on Amazon.

omgkitty

To be fair, even with the exchange rate, the set is still nearly $50 cheaper than it is on Amazon.

Yeah that is true. I've been kinda waiting to see what happens, but it sucks that their sets are limited and ordering from their site, you're charged immediately. I want to pick up both the Rivette and Battles box sets, and with them being limited, it's not like I can just wait, so I have to figure when it's best to spend $200 on two sets I won't get for 3 months. They also have cheaper prices for a limited time too. Thankfully I already ordered the Yoshida set back in April.

Fjordson

Yeah that is true. I've been kinda waiting to see what happens, but it sucks that their sets are limited and ordering from their site, you're charged immediately. I want to pick up both the Rivette and Battles box sets, and with them being limited, it's not like I can just wait, so I have to figure when it's best to spend $200 on two sets I won't get for 3 months. They also have cheaper prices for a limited time too. Thankfully I already ordered the Yoshida set back in April.
I know what you mean. Being charged right away is a bummer.

I'm going to stick with just the Battles set, even though I kinda want the Yoshida one also.

Ridley327

Seems like a hell of a month, and one that's sure to sell out fast during the B&N sale happening at the same time. I'm surprised that the Apu Trilogy is so expensive otherwise, but I guess that's to help cover the restoration expenditures, which just from a casual glance had to have been rather extensive.

I'm still kicking myself for missing the majority of a Duvivier retrospective years back (only caught Pepe le Moko) so I'm happy about the Eclipse set. Damn good selection this month.

Seems like a hell of a month, and one that's sure to sell out fast during the B&N sale happening at the same time. I'm surprised that the Apu Trilogy is so expensive otherwise, but I guess that's to help cover the restoration expenditures, which just from a casual glance had to have been rather extensive.

There's a really great article/video about the Apu Trilogy restoration that I think any consumer of the CC will enjoy.

omgkitty

Okay so I did some more research and it turns out that Arrow is going to have a US specific site, but it still is not live. Kinda shitty considering they've had US releases for several months now. Now I don't know if I should just order the UK release. I have a region free player so it's not really a huge deal, but it could end up costing less in the US without an exchange rate.

Fjordson

Okay so I did some more research and it turns out that Arrow is going to have a US specific site, but it still is not live. Kinda shitty considering they've had US releases for several months now. Now I don't know if I should just order the UK release. I have a region free player so it's not really a huge deal, but it could end up costing less in the US without an exchange rate.
Looking around on forums, it sounds like the release will work for both regions, even if it's a region A player with the UK release.

Top Bottom