• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
Eureka has announced their first title for December:
12027760_1085434854800543_2280469778232876658_n.jpg

Not sure when the rest of the titles will be announced, personally I hope that they won't be westerns.

Shiv47

Has there been any updates recently about Criterion's releases of Orson Welles' Othello and Chimes at Midnight? I've been looking forward to those particular films.

Chimes hadn't really even been started on as of June, and Othello wasn't much further along, according to the Criterion producer doing them, when he spoke at a Welles event. I doubt they'll be announced for a while.

Heh, t'was a shit joke as I flit in-and-out of GAF-Hop too :(

You're 100% correct though, my shelves have Russ Meyer following on from Jean-Pierre Melville.

I know you were taking harmless shots, I'm just saying.

And btw, I didn't mean to imply hip-hop is disposable just in case if came off that way

And Russ Meyer is a national treasure. I'd love to see Criterion get their hands on Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

I know you were taking harmless shots, I'm just saying.

And btw, I didn't mean to imply hip-hop is disposable just in case if came off that way

And Russ Meyer is a national treasure. I'd love to see Criterion get their hands on Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Faster Pussycat would be a dream release!
They could do a Meyer double and release Beyond the Valley of the Dolls too, it's been out-of-print for years now.
I know Arrow and others fill the niche, but I'd love more 'trash' from Criterion.
Jack Hill and Paul Morrissey are both still alive, although very old now, they should take advantage of that fact and release some of their stuff, even as Eclipse sets.

So I figure between us that means a lot of owners of the Beastie Boys Video Anthology.
(Still kind of sad it doesn't have Fight For Your Right.)

Well it included the GOAT Beastie song so I can't be too mad.
Playing the remixes whilst 're-editing' the videos by changing the video angles on the fly was an amazing use of early DVD technology, I lost way too much time to doing that.

cj_iwakura

Well it included the GOAT Beastie song so I can't be too mad.
Playing the remixes whilst 're-editing' the videos by changing the video angles on the fly was an amazing use of early DVD technology, I lost way too much time to doing that.

I feel like Blu-Rays have killed the stuff DVDs used to pull off. Like that Memento LE I have, they'd never get away with that today.

Did Criterion ever say why FFYR wasn't on the Anthology? I know it's not very fancy or anything, but it's still fun.

I feel like Blu-Rays have killed the stuff DVDs used to pull off. Like that Memento LE I have, they'd never get away with that today.

Did Criterion ever say why FFYR wasn't on the Anthology? I know it's not very fancy or anything, but it's still fun.

As far as I remember Beasties have a hand in the rights to all of their music from Paul's Boutique onwards (which is why they can do such things at outlaw their songs from advertisements/trailers, etc) but License to Ill is owned fully by Def Jam who wouldn't let Criterion license Fight For Your Right, Brass Monkey, etc.

Is that the Memento DVD that had packaging that looked like a patients hospital file?
And the menu's were like some psychological profile questionnaire?
I have it, it's amazing!
Yeah I think home video peaked with DVD's. All of the lavish special editions and strange DVD quirks like easter eggs are sorely missed.
With Blu-Ray even the packaging is crap :(

cj_iwakura

As far as I remember Beasties have a hand in the rights to all of their music from Paul's Boutique onwards (which is why they can do such things at outlaw their songs from advertisements/trailers, etc) but License to Ill is owned fully by Def Jam who wouldn't let Criterion license Fight For Your Right, Brass Monkey, etc.

Is that the Memento DVD that had packaging that looked like a patients hospital file?
And the menu's were like some psychological profile questionnaire?
I have it, it's amazing!
Yeah I think home video peaked with DVD's. All of the lavish special editions and strange DVD quirks like easter eggs are sorely missed.
With Blu-Ray even the packaging is crap :(

That sucks. :( And yep, that's the one. It even has a hidden feature that lets you watch Memento in chronological order.

Well, the suckage of blu-rays is good for my budget, I was a sucker for LEs back then.

I love the Vista series ones, even though they only did like seven(just remembered Pearl Harbor(lol), Signs, and I'm sure there were more). I have Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Tombstone(an absolute essential), and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

berzeli

Banned
So whilst the BFI didn't officially announce it for Q4, Amazon listings has crept up for Love is the Devil. Terrific news if you ask me.

edit:
81ON5-Qqa5L._SL1500_.jpg

berzeli

Banned
And another title from Eureka for December:
12032944_1088438927833469_9027738927228798030_n.jpg

Didn't know much about this one, looked it up and I have to say that I'm thrilled that this film is getting a release. It probably is one of the upcoming releases which I'm most looking forward to.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I really liked a New Leaf when I saw it a few years ago. Bills itself as something of a romantic comedy, only with no romance whatsoever. Matthau is fantastic, maybe my favorite role of his.

swoon

And another title from Eureka for December:
12032944_1088438927833469_9027738927228798030_n.jpg

Didn't know much about this one, looked it up and I have to say that I'm thrilled that this film is getting a release. It probably is one of the upcoming releases which I'm most looking forward to.

if you are in the states, Olive released this last year. It's quite good.

berzeli

Banned
if you are in the states, Olive released this last year. It's quite good.

I live in glorious region-B land, and I'd prefer to support Eureka since their releases tend to be stellar and the Olive one lacks extras. Also Eureka hasn't lied to me about releasing Bo Widerberg on blu-ray. Fuck you Olive Films, I won't forgive you for that. :'(

Ridley327

The newsletter hint was figured out rather quickly, and it might go some way to explaining why Arrow's Rivette box set was changed from region free to being locked to B, as it's a rather pointed clue for Paris nous appartient. Not a part of that box set, but I do know that Rivette has long been one of the biggest holes in Criterion's French representation, so this ought to be some good news for fans.

jlevel13

The newsletter hint was figured out rather quickly, and it might go some way to explaining why Arrow's Rivette box set was changed from region free to being locked to B, as it's a rather pointed clue for Paris nous appartient. Not a part of that box set, but I do know that Rivette has long been one of the biggest holes in Criterion's French representation, so this ought to be some good news for fans.

The Arrow set was surely region locked because Carlotta is releasing Out 1 in the US... http://www.carlottafilms-us.com/out1/

Of course they do a sale before Mulholland Drive comes out. :|

Oh, 50% off the SRP. Not as good a deal but still not too bad since most will be $20.

Trying to buy Throne of Blood and Ivan's Childhood, but whenever I try to order it tells me "There were problems while submitting your order. Customer cus_77D1YYxRCsoZAe does not have a linked source with ID card_16syazLPDMhFJQAHorXxdGNx." Anyone have this problem before?

Edit: nvm, fixed the issue

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This exchange rate is killing me. I wanna get both Paths of Glory and Seven Samurai but I think I'll be only able to afford one. :(

Moppeh

Banned
Perhaps this is a dumb question but how is the Criterion shipping for Canadians? How much in shipping should I expect to pay if I buy 4 or 5 dvds?

Should I just wait for a sale from another website?

(

What bums me out is that the songs are censored (on the Criterion release)

ngower

Had a $50 gift certificate, earned one from the loyalty program and had the $10 facebook credit. Ended up getting quite a few discs today:

• Ace in the Hole
• It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
• A Room with a View
• Moonrise Kingdom
• Blind Chance
• Two Days, One Night
• My Own Private Idaho
• The Friends of Eddie Coyle
• Pina
• André Gregory and Wallace Shawn: 3 Films
• Jules and Jim

In related news, does anyone want to feed me for a few days?

Top Bottom