• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

Is Ikiru top tier Kurosawa?

Top Kurosawa:

Rashomon
Ikiru
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
High and Low

There's a lot of top Kurosawa. My favorite is probably High and Low.
In before someone tells me something isn't top Kurosawa or that I missed something

Consistency / output wise, he's probably second only to Kubrick and tied with Bergman IMO.
Though I do prefer Bergman personally

Is Ikiru top tier Kurosawa?

I don't want to over-sell it because everyone has different experiences/tastes in movies, but it is my all-time favorite movie. It had a massive positive impact on my life (I won't go into the details). Definitely gonna be getting the blu-ray.

overcast

Looks like a worthy blind buy.

Might cop Yakuza Papers for my brother. I know he's been waiting on that to be released for years.

omgkitty

I just dropped $220 on The Jacques Rivette Collection and Battles Without Honor and Humanity. I guess I can be glad they charge at purchase because November is already going to be stacked with the B&N Criterion sale and all those games coming out.

Also, the Imamura set is down to £28.71 on Amazon, so if you were interested in picking it up, you should go ahead and preorder now. Comes out to about $45 for 8 films. Great deal.

Fjordson

I just dropped $220 on The Jacques Rivette Collection and Battles Without Honor and Humanity. I guess I can be glad they charge at purchase because November is already going to be stacked with the B&N Criterion sale and all those
Wow, nice! I assume you just went ahead and ordered the UK version of Battles from Arrow?

I guess I should do that. Not crazy about instantly eating the $100 cost, but that now is better than the $150 in November from Amazon US.

omgkitty

Wow, nice! I assume you just went ahead and ordered the UK version of Battles from Arrow?

I guess I should do that. Not crazy about instantly eating the $100 cost, but that now is better than the $150 in November from Amazon US.

Yeah it was like $101 compared to $135 on Amazon. I'm sure it will come down a little more on Amazon before then, but usually Amazon price never hits as low as the pre-sale deal Arrow does.

Fjordson

Yeah it was like $101 compared to $135 on Amazon. I'm sure it will come down a little more on Amazon before then, but usually Amazon price never hits as low as the pre-sale deal Arrow does.
I see. Yeah, guess I'll just order it now.

For some reason I keep feeling a little paranoid that it won't be compatible with my player, but I keep reading everything that their releases work in both regions (and tbh I should just get a region free player).

Draconian

Top Kurosawa:

Rashomon
Ikiru
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
High and Low

There's a lot of top Kurosawa. My favorite is probably High and Low.
In before someone tells me something isn't top Kurosawa or that I missed something

Consistency / output wise, he's probably second only to Kubrick and tied with Bergman IMO.
Though I do prefer Bergman personally

I know I'm a bit late here, but I'd add Ran to these as well. Other than that, I've got no complaints (although I still need to watch The Bad Sleep Well).

omgkitty

MoC releases for November.

11896261_1067830066561022_4914295676381331975_n.jpg
11870759_1067835249893837_1750068673126502782_n.jpg
11903780_1067836449893717_5218129314197813683_n.jpg

Fjordson

^loll

The Zatoichi set is easily worth that price if one can swing it. Out of the 25 films in it I'd say at least 20 of them are good to great.

Kvik

I fucking missed out on that Zatoichi sale :-\

Probably will pick up La Dolce Vita for now, and leave Zatoichi for November B&N sale.

So there's an Arrow Sale going on right now and I guess enough people complained about not getting double reward points for preorders on big items like the Rivette set before the sale. They just gave me a bunch more reward points so uh that's pretty awesome.

Ughhhh this Rivette set needs to get here already. So far only picked up Massacre Gun from the Arrow Sale but I'll probably cave and pick up a couple more blus.

omgkitty

So there's an Arrow Sale going on right now and I guess enough people complained about not getting double reward points for preorders on big items like the Rivette set before the sale. They just gave me a bunch more reward points so uh that's pretty awesome.

Ughhhh this Rivette set needs to get here already. So far only picked up Massacre Gun from the Arrow Sale but I'll probably cave and pick up a couple more blus.

I just checked mine and I now have 2800 points for buying Rivette and Yakuza Papers sets. Fuuuuuck maybe I should buy something in this sale.

Checking this list, and of course none of the Borowczyk's besides The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne are on sale.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow announced their December slate:

UK only:
VIDEODROME_2D_BD-500x500.jpg

UK & US:
11998953_1047614095272584_633314818271085502_n.jpg

And uh, that seems to be it? (Will update if anything else is added)

Fjordson

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Yakuza Papers set from Arrow. Sucks to eat that $100 charge instantly with all the games I'm buying this month, but oh well. Don't feel like paying the extra money for the U.S. version.

big ander

One of the founders of Janus Films, William Becker, has passed away. Cool how many filmmakers and various other artists he was connected to over time, and I didn't know his son was the president of Criterion.

I'd had expected criterion's first anime release to be a Satoshi Kon film. Too bad I heard Jellyfish Eyes is garbage. Awful December releases besides Speedy.

swoon

burroughs, the first kickstarter to arrive on criterion tho.

if it has all the new found material, should be a solid documentary.

berzeli

Banned
I still can't believe that Jellyfish Eyes isn't just a gag cover someone made.
You know, that might be my working thesis for how it came to be; someone sent a person in the Criterion office a photoshopped cover, the employee printed it out and hanged it on the wall with some other gag covers they have pinned to a wall. When the time came to prepare the titles for December they put them underneath said wall and didn't notice when there was one more title in the pile and one less title on the wall.

Satoshi Kon collection pls

This would be awesome. Have there been any releases of his work other than the (good) Sony release of Paprika and the (decent) Anime Ltd release of Perfect Blue?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Always thought A Face In The Crowd would make a good CC addition, evil Andy Griffith is a thing to behold.

Top Bottom