• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

ngower

Ah fuck. Too many that I want to purchase. How often do these flash sales happen? Twice a year?

The Criterion one happens around this time every year. B&N do one in November and June, I think. Amazon and Best Buy randomly have sales too.

JTripper

Decided to stick with having a fitting horror-themed October and ordered Repulsion, The Innocents and The Uninvited. I also haven't yet watched my copies of Diabolique and Eyes Without A Face.

Next blu-ray I buy will probably be Don't Look Back when that releases around the time of the next B&N sale.

cj_iwakura

I caved and got Moonrise and 3:10. $25 for both is kind of crazy to ignore.

Moonrise quite possibly beat out Tenenbaums as my favorite Anderson film. I hope it has the Focus supplement though, I really liked the Bill Murray one.

I thought The Brood was out this week but it's next Tuesday. I caved and watched it on Hulu. I totally recommend it if you're looking for criterion scary movies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does that $10 coupon they gave us through Facebook have an expiration date? I'd like to hold off on this sale but if I have to...

Ridley327

They're finally up!
790_791_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

792_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

795_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

794_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
(cue Birdie jizzing all over himself)
793_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

I've only seen the first Lady Snowblood film, but it was quite a decent little chanbara. It's a pretty poor adaptation of the manga, but I don't think you can adapt that particular manga without being arrested for something.

big ander

that's a month. Gilda's great, will consider it even if the cover's eh. Inside Llewyn Davis is stacked with features, most excited about the commentary track with Hajdu and Christgau! never heard of Bitter Rice but it looks super interesting.

jlevel13

I like The American Friend cover a lot - especially compared to the old US DVD cover. Hopefully 2016 will see a lot more of the classic Wenders. I was kind of figuring we'd see the Road Trilogy set first, since those never even came out on DVD in the US.

overcast

Inside Llewyn Davis is definitely one of my favorite Coen's. Excited to see its getting a hell of a release (great cover too). Haven't seen the others.

This is probably the best January I've ever seen from Criterion. Normally January is a wasteland of random shit.

January 2014 with Thief, Rififi, and Throne of Blood was pretty god tier.

January 2015 had Sword of Doom and The Palm Beach Story. Pretty solid.

January 2016 is damn good though.

So happy about Llewyn Davis. Getting that and Lady Snow blood, even though I don't especially love the film (only seen the first one), I did remember liking it and adoring the soundtrack.

Fjordson

This isn't really a speciality release or anything, but the new Bram Stoker's Dracula blu-ray that just came out is amazing. Has a new 4K remaster that looks unbelievably good and the audio is some new Dolby Atmos track that sounds great.

swoon

looks like criterion is bundle the hitchcock release and some/but not all of their music docs into some friendly priced sets

cNOoYBH.jpg

would be cool if they did this for the silent comedy sets

The Hitchcock set they did years ago with The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Spellbound and Notorious was really great.
I sold my copy of Notorious due to the cropping... regret it now though :'(

swoon

Ridley327

According to some tweets from people in the know, it seems like Criterion got their hands on most of Almodovar's films in a deal with Sony Pictures Classics. I wonder if they're going to do a big box set for them, like SPC did back in the day.

Top Bottom