• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

So, Shout! Factory got their hands on Manhunter for a 30th anniversary deluxe edition. I am shocked I am not passed out on the floor yet from hyperventilating.

They also announced that they're doing new Blus for all three Species sequels (no original, strangely enough), with Species II getting its own disc and the other two sharing a double feature, a double feature that will contain Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Dunwich Horror, and a solo disc for Lady in White.

They apparently have one more big announcement planned for tomorrow morning, but still. Manhunter.

Dunno if this is the right place, but I'm seeing Eureka & Arrow releases up, so:

91Ts7s2wU3L._SL550_.jpg

Will import.

So, Shout! Factory got their hands on Manhunter for a 30th anniversary deluxe edition. I am shocked I am not passed out on the floor yet from hyperventilating.

They also announced that they're doing new Blus for all three Species sequels (no original, strangely enough), with Species II getting its own disc and the other two sharing a double feature, a double feature that will contain Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Dunwich Horror, and a solo disc for Lady in White.

They apparently have one more big announcement planned for tomorrow morning, but still. Manhunter.

Yessss @ Manhunter. Double dipping for that with the quickness.

Ridley327

Good thing I didn't hype myself up, since Shout!'s big announcement for today is a deluxe version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Still, Manhunter!

Ridley327

Looks like Arrow is making some big plans for sets of relatively obscure American horror films for 2016, by introducing the American Horror Project, with its first release in February on both sides of the Atlantic. It seems like the emphasis will be on films that are dangerously close to being lost forever, so we're sure to see some rather unusual titles being included.

Guzim

Looks like Arrow is making some big plans for sets of relatively obscure American horror films for 2016, by introducing the American Horror Project, with its first release in February on both sides of the Atlantic. It seems like the emphasis will be on films that are dangerously close to being lost forever, so we're sure to see some rather unusual titles being included.

Whether it’s a film that has languished in obscurity for far too long, or a movie that is at risk of being lost forever due to lack of usable materials, American Horror Project is here to ensure that these unique slices of the American Nightmare are brought back into the public consciousness and preserved for all to enjoy. Pleasant dreams…

That is awesome. It'll be interesting to see what they release.

looks like criterion is bundle the hitchcock release and some/but not all of their music docs into some friendly priced sets

cNOoYBH.jpg

would be cool if they did this for the silent comedy sets

Just saw these at Costco at $59.99 each. Great deal in my opinion.

berzeli

Banned
51uniNijlzL._SX400_.jpg

(hope, but don't expect, they fix the tint on Pierrot le Fou)

(The full five hour version)

Also announced from the BFI:

Ken Russell: The Great Composers Box Set
Monitor and Omnibus: Elgar (1962)
The Debussy Film (1965)
Delius: Song of Summer (1968)

Ken Russell: The Great Passions Box Set
Always on Sunday (1965)
Isadora: the Biggest Dancer in the World (1966)
Dante's Inferno (1967)

Bande à part (1964) (added the cover above)

Shooting Stars (1928)

Culloden (1964)

The War Game (1965)

Love on the Dole (1941)

So if you love Godard and are confined to a region B player these announcements should make you happy, me however I'm just super thrilled about The War game.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Interested in seeing what's improved with the War Game over the R1 version from a while back. Full version of Underground should be pretty incredible.

overcast

Semi Annual B&N Criterion sale starts 11/10 for those that like to wait until them to stock up. Hopefully (and likely) will last until Ikiru.

Ridley327

Semi Annual B&N Criterion sale starts 11/10 for those that like to wait until them to stock up. Hopefully (and likely) will last until Ikiru.

The tendency has been to last long enough to include all of November's releases and end more or less before the first December hits.

Ridley327

As groovy as Arrow's set for Audition looks, I still kinda hate that no one seems all that interested in preserving the surprise of the film. It's not just their fault, but still.

Ridley327

Knowing my 80s ninja films, I suspect that the cover for Pray for Death is overselling the shit out of the contents inside the box, and I freely admit that it's working.

Steamlord

This right here. This is the proper shot to use as the basis for an Audition cover along with a nice innocent-looking typeface.

LvrC7hol.jpg

swoon

i believe we had a brief discussion about these over in the monthly movie thread, but olive is releasing john huston's war "documentaries" in janurary

VkHDd5a.jpg

also olive just released saul bass' only film phase iv

QrsxPiH.jpg

Ridley327

ithasbegun.gif

Already bagged The Brood, Kwaidan, Mulholland Dr., Throne of Blood, Kagemusha, and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.

XShagrath

I went in and picked up Mulholland Drive and The Brood to start things off with a couple 20% off coupons. Gonna wait on the rest with the Black Friday coupon.

For those of you buying several titles, I'd advice buying a $75 B&N gift card, as you get a free $10 gift card for use after Christmas. Just hold on to that until the July sale to pick up something else.

Kvik

Welp. Totally forgot about our own Criterion OT. I necroed last year sale thread. :p

I want to grab A Man Escaped although I already owned it on DVD.

Steamlord

Ugh... It kills me to say this, but I think I'm actually going to show some restraint and hold off on this sale. And I only buy Criterion releases during sales, so it's extra painful. At least I've got all the recent releases that I desperately wanted. I even got Ikiru preordered at half price when Amazon had their sale.

Mulholland Drive got a great review on blu-ray.com, it sounds like a flawless transfer

I don't own the disk but I've been seeing a decent number of complaints about the transfer, of course a lot of it is the usual blu-ray forum crowd losing their minds about bitrates and compression but it seems like the problems are actually distracting at times. Anyone here watched theirs yet?

I went in and picked up Mulholland Drive and The Brood to start things off with a couple 20% off coupons. Gonna wait on the rest with the Black Friday coupon.

For those of you buying several titles, I'd advice buying a $75 B&N gift card, as you get a free $10 gift card for use after Christmas. Just hold on to that until the July sale to pick up something else.
Where did you get a 20% off coupon?

Kvik

Speaking of bitrates, the Criterion transfer is actually lower than the EU blu release of Mulholland Dr. However, in terms of colour contrast etc. the Criterion release took the crown (as expected).

XShagrath

Where did you get a 20% off coupon?
If you're a member, you should get them in the mail a few times a year, as well as in your email. Otherwise, there's 15% off coupons that pop up every couple weeks, and a (probably) 30% one for Black Friday.

If you can't find them, I can probably send you a few during the next batch.

Mulholland Drive got a great review on blu-ray.com, it sounds like a flawless transfer

Better than SC for sure but flawless it's not (I personnaly don't trust blu-ray.com reviews anymore when it comes to Criterion).

Speaking of bitrates, the Criterion transfer is actually lower than the EU blu release of Mulholland Dr. However, in terms of colour contrast etc. the Criterion release took the crown (as expected).

I don't own the disk but I've been seeing a decent number of complaints about the transfer, of course a lot of it is the usual blu-ray forum crowd losing their minds about bitrates and compression but it seems like the problems are actually distracting at times. Anyone here watched theirs yet?

That's what I hear as well including. Great restauration, crappy encoding and some macroblocking. :/

Still the edition of choice (if you're in the US).

I have a ton of Criterion releases that I'm drooling over but the awful exchange rate plus B&N being assholes means no sales for me this year.

overcast

If you're a member, you should get them in the mail a few times a year, as well as in your email. Otherwise, there's 15% off coupons that pop up every couple weeks, and a (probably) 30% one for Black Friday.

If you can't find them, I can probably send you a few during the next batch.
Pretty shitty because I'm a member and I typically get a 20% off coupon every now and then. Nothing this week. Hopefully by next weekend. Planning on buying a few movies next paycheck.

Titles I'm looking at this time around

Mulholland Drive
Day For Night
400 Blows
Ikiru

That should be all.

Fjordson

I watched a bit of Mulholland last night and it looked fine to me. Not the most pristine Criterion by any means, but certainly worth $20.

Fjordson

Yeah, I feel like you have to be really looking for some of these issues to even notice them sometimes. Like people on the blu-ray.com forums were really up in arms about the Mulholland transfer leading up to the release, but I thought it looked beautiful in motion watching it last night.

lmao at those comments tbph

BD.com isn't fuckin DVD Beaver or whoever those sites are that go frame by frame into shit. The review how it looks on a good TV set up

Holy shit, man.

Hadn't even read the comments, just seen the picture...

Sure, I mean, I watch movies on a (big) TV and in motion. And as long as there's no wrong aspect ratio/awful contrast / terrible noise or poor sound I won't refrain from a purchase.Yet BRs are pricey (especially when you import) and I still notice poor encoding and macroblocks from time to time. Again, nothing that would absolutely deter me from a purchase but I expect more than average encoding from a premium publisher like Criterion. Luckily for me European labels (MoC, Arrow and Carlotta mainly) have stepped up their game in that regard.

I just don't understand why Criterion would commission awesome 4k remasters (which they are great at doing) and not put them on BD-50 with the best encoding available.

There's also the whole thing about this particular blu-ray.com reviewer being biased against Arrow (arguably this year's best publisher) and very lenient with Criterion but hell if I care about this kind of forum drama. This is all very similar to gaming side discussions about graphics and framerate: some notice, some don't. It's usually not a huge deal.

Edit:

What if they are cutting corners because they know those that care will buy the inevitable 4k releases? :\

Now that could explain it. : )

Top Bottom