• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Does anyone own any of Criterion's posters? I'm looking for a good place to get film posters that isn't the highly expensive mondo stuff (for now). Allposters seems to have some decent Kurosawa stuff from various countries. The Polish poster for 8 1/2 is also really nice.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow's US releases really leave a lot to be desired.

Well, technically these were UK/US releases. ;)

But I'm not sure if leaves a lot to be desired is entirely accurate, they are catering to people who do seem to appreciate (and but) these releases. We're just not those people. At least they will reveal something for their Arrow Academy line on Monday, hope it's something we both like.

omgkitty

Well, technically these were UK/US releases. ;)

But I'm not sure if leaves a lot to be desired is entirely accurate, they are catering to people who do seem to appreciate (and but) these releases. We're just not those people. At least they will reveal something for their Arrow Academy line on Monday, hope it's something we both like.

Yeah I guess. Just a lot of these older more obscure titles I've never heard of don't really have any interest in. This weird mix of horror / B-movie / obscure action titles. All the stuff they've put out I'm really interested in I've had to order from their UK store.

Fjordson

I like the Japanese stuff they're doing quite a bit.

Not a horror guy at all though, so I also don't really care about any of that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
hugocésar;194330273 said:
Does anyone own any of Criterion's posters? I'm looking for a good place to get film posters that isn't the highly expensive mondo stuff (for now). Allposters seems to have some decent Kurosawa stuff from various countries. The Polish poster for 8 1/2 is also really nice.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I used to have quite a few from Polish Poster. This stuff always hit a sweet spot for me: unique, a little bizarre and/or surreal, often for obscure and lesser-known movies you'd never find a poster for otherwise.

My Rivette set finally arrived (though somehow not Nikkatsu Diamond Guys, which shipped days earlier) and it's gorgeous. I saw Duelle a couple times in the last year so I'm gonna start with Noroit, I'm really pumped.

Ridley327

Reading about the history of Blood Bath makes Arrow's effort here really fascinating, as if it was the drive-in horror equivalent of Mr. Arkadin in terms of all the different versions out there. Good on them to present every version of the film here with what sound like good and informative special features, which might be more than any version of the film deserves!

omgkitty

Damn it. You beat me. :'(

But I'm so psyched. Wonder if Criterion will upgrade their DVD as well.

I would hope so. There were some rumors on the Criterion forums about it not being feasible or being too big an undertaking or something like that, but I guess this disproves that. Now I need to decide to pick this up or wait.

Ridley327

I would hope so. There were some rumors on the Criterion forums about it not being feasible or being too big an undertaking or something like that, but I guess this disproves that. Now I need to decide to pick this up or wait.
The Arrow set is region B, so I imagine that Janus and Criterion still have some kind of interest in it. It looks like a completely different set of extras for the Arrow set, so there's that to consider, too.

At worst, it's a low priority project for them since the recent influx of sub-licensing that's come their way in the past couple of years, but that seems to be the case across the board for reissues from them.

Steamlord

I haven't seen The Human Condition yet but I really want to because I adore Harakiri and Kwaidan.

In other news, it appears IVC is releasing a bunch of RKO blu-rays in Japan, but I've only found one impression online on The Magnificent Ambersons and the transfer apparently isn't amazing. Still, I might have to get Cat People and see if that transfer is any good... Or hopefully DVDBeaver will have some comparison shots up once it's out.

Ridley327

Interesting little development: Twilight Time is going to get out of the reissue game after this year, with only four more titles that they'll be re-releasing (those being Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Rollerball and The Train) and then focusing entirely on new licenses. They've got some big stuff in the pipeline, but this does mean that a fair few films will be available again for other companies to license.

A strange business decision, given that some of those titles have sold well for them (even if there is a much larger reselling aspect to how they handle things), but I'm sure some people will be happy to see some films rescued for potentially more elaborate releases than TT gave them.

omgkitty

Not sure how I missed this, but as I was about to make a post about Tarkovsky films on blu-ray, I did some research first.

Independent British distributors Curzon Artificial Eye have informed us that they are planning to add a number of new titles to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are classic films from Russian master Andrei Tarkovsky, acclaimed French director Jacques Audiard, and Hungarian director László Nemes.

COMPLETE LIST OF UPCOMING BLU-RAY AND DVD RELEASES:

March 14
THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED - Blu-ray

April 11
CHRONIC - DVD
IVAN'S CHILDHOOD - Blu-ray & DVD

April 25
ANDREI RUBLEV - Blu-ray & DVD

May 9
MIRROR - Blu-ray & DVD

May 23
SOLARIS - Blu-ray & DVD
VICTORIA - Blu-ray & DVD

June 13
STALKER - Blu-ray & DVD
OUR LITTLE SISTER - DVD

June 27
SON OF SAUL - Blu-ray & DVD
NOSTALGIA - Blu-ray & DVD

July 11
THE SACRIFICE - Blu-ray & DVD

Note: A Tarkovsky box set will be available later in the year.

I've considered doing what I'm doing right now for Kurosawa, going through all his films in order, but for another director afterwards. For Tarkovsky I had only seen Solaris, and since his filmography is so small, I figured he would be a great one to get to (not to mention he's considered one of the greatest directors of all time). Was kinda worried about the lack of good physical HD releases for his films, but hopefully these will be done well.

berzeli

Banned
The Tarkovsky Collection is also slated for Q4
Oh, sweet. Artificial Eye has announced April as the date when they start with their Tarkovsky releases, the boxset seems to be coming later. Looking forward to see what they bring in terms of PQ/AQ/extras (really hope they use the Swedish film institute restoration of The Sacrifice).
Because you don't pay attention to what I post. :'(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Interesting little development: Twilight Time is going to get out of the reissue game after this year, with only four more titles that they'll be re-releasing (those being Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Rollerball and The Train) and then focusing entirely on new licenses. They've got some big stuff in the pipeline, but this does mean that a fair few films will be available again for other companies to license.

A strange business decision, given that some of those titles have sold well for them (even if there is a much larger reselling aspect to how they handle things), but I'm sure some people will be happy to see some films rescued for potentially more elaborate releases than TT gave them.
Jeez, they were always doing high quality work and they were the only ones bringing out Woody Allen movies. No Zelig blu ray now, I guess.

Everything I have from them, Wild At Heart, Sexy Beast, Woody movies, The Last Detail, all Criterion-level discs. Not a fan of their decision here.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow has been teasing things
PM4nvC1.png

Xxl1Kf1.png

dGu7fJp.png

zFYzG8M.png

XikXuFg.png

The scribbly nonsense is for an Arrow Academy release. I have no idea if all clues are related to that Academy release. I have no idea at all in fact.

Ridley327

Jeez, they were always doing high quality work and they were the only ones bringing out Woody Allen movies. No Zelig blu ray now, I guess.

Everything I have from them, Wild At Heart, Sexy Beast, Woody movies, The Last Detail, all Criterion-level discs. Not a fan of their decision here.

This isn't going to change their course as far as releases are concerned. All that's happening is that they're not going to re-release anything once it's sold out.

They've kinda been slowly morphing into an archive release label for both Sony and MGM, so there's still plenty of stuff they've got. I know that David Fincher is working with them on a Blu-ray of Panic Room, so they're not hurting for big projects.

berzeli

Banned
Looks like the clues were for a Taviani box set.
I have no idea who they are.

The US is actually getting a set next week from Cohen media. Is this something I should check out?

I thought I had no idea who they were. But it turns out I've seen a film by them, Caesar Must Die. I wasn't enamoured by it.
Kaos looks like fun, Night of the Shooting Stars looks like it does a lot of the things I don't like about Italian cinema, and Padre Padrone looks really good. So I might skip the Arrow release since it probably will end up quite expensive, might seek out the Cohen one.

edit: Someone suggested that the KILLER clue is "The Killer Must Kill Again", which sounds like somethine Arrow would release.
What about the MGM one though?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This isn't going to change their course as far as releases are concerned. All that's happening is that they're not going to re-release anything once it's sold out.

They've kinda been slowly morphing into an archive release label for both Sony and MGM, so there's still plenty of stuff they've got. I know that David Fincher is working with them on a Blu-ray of Panic Room, so they're not hurting for big projects.
Oh, I misunderstood that completely then.

Ridley327

It's still up in the air right now if we're getting announcements today, but Criterion's web site did let it slip that spine number 810 belongs to In a Lonely Place. Been a minute since the last Nicolas Ray film in the Collection!

omgkitty

Just a heads up that there should be a half off sale next week on Criterion's site. There has been one the last week of February the last 4 years running to my knowledge, so save those pennies!

Edit: Wait no....last year was March 10th. Regardless, should be one within the next few weeks.

big ander

That Lonely Place cover has me suspicious there's some sort of intra-office competition at criterion to see who can get away with putting the lowest amount of effort into a cover

Not having seen a single Wenders film that looks like a great set--works that are early and notable. On the want list.

Ridley327

That Lonely Place cover has me suspicious there's some sort of intra-office competition at criterion to see who can get away with putting the lowest amount of effort into a cover

Not having seen a single Wenders film that looks like a great set--works that are early and notable. On the want list.

The Sony titles seem to have that issue a lot. The cover for It Happened One Night is pretty zero effort, too.

That being said, I do like that the cover shows a side of Bogey that you rarely see in any artwork, though I admit I'm a bit of a sucker to see famous actors in a less-than-cheerful disposition.

Whew @ the Criterion releases so far this year. Nothing that's completely blown my mind, but a ton of stuff I want to pick up. The next sale is going to break me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I keep hoping Criterion will surprise me with Cronenberg's Crash and/or Dead Ringers.

Ridley327

I keep hoping Criterion will surprise me with Cronenberg's Crash and/or Dead Ringers.

There's still plenty of gas left in the WB deal to get to those at some point, so I'm not worried. I know Crash has long been rumored from even back in the early days of them putting DVDs out for the first time.

Fjordson

Twilight Time shipped my copy of The Big Heat. Quality film noir! Also I love the cover they used

Whew @ the Criterion releases so far this year. Nothing that's completely blown my mind, but a ton of stuff I want to pick up. The next sale is going to break me.
Definitely a good (expensive) year for Criterion.

Trying to pace myself so I'll probably stick to Gilda and maybe Bitter Rice in the next sale.

omgkitty

Lets be fair here, those "lazy" covers are still very good. They go through and find the right image and spend time coming up with great titles for them as well. I'd take something like those over dogshit like The Player any day. Their photo still covers are also almost always 99% better than the stuff the big studios put out as well. Say what you want but taking the easy route doesn't always mean something is bad.

It actually seems to be a cost saving measure. A good portion of their covers in the last two years have been done internally with a lot less outside work showing up. From the lack of booklets, thin supplements on releases and an over emphasis on releasing high profile licensed titles (that they probably don't need to do as much work to restore), it is very clear they're doing whatever they can to save money.

big ander

I don't think it sums up a very great movie well at all. And it's not as if it's rare to see Bogey looking downtrodden so I can't agree with you all there

The original posters for the movie are better and more exciting

swoon

Twilight Time shipped my copy of The Big Heat. Quality film noir! Also I love the cover they used

it's interesting, because that's the liner notes cover of the initial release.

How is that Wenders trilogy?

How was that Stillman trilogy too for that matter.

wenders are all amazing. i don't like barcelona at all, but the other films are captial-g great of the stillman.

berzeli

Banned
omg, didn't even know this was a thing. Not missing out this time like I missed out on the initial version (or The Driver)

Well, there are options if you want to get The Driver. The swedish blu-ray is a port of the superior UK disc and unlike the UK one it is region free.

Top Bottom