• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

Looking forward to see how criterion improves on the already released Dr. Strangelove, which I coincidentally recently purchased.

On another note, I really need to start hiding my wallet when I drink. I ended up ordering the Synapse release of Tenebrae. Oh well, deep down I guess I really wanted it anyway, expensive blind buy or not.

I wish I only bought dumb shit when I was drunk. I buy expensive crap when I'm 100% sober and on a way too frequent basis (see my Criterion sale posts).

berzeli

Banned
Sony already has a nice blu ray out of Strangelove so I'm not super stoked, but I really do love that film.
Saw some comments saying Dr. Strangelove, which I've seen like 3 times and have 0 idea what the context is.
You've already gotten some shit for this, but it's like the second most famous thing from that film (after riding the bomb obv.) lol.

omgkitty

Sony already has a nice blu ray out of Strangelove so I'm not super stoked, but I really do love that film.

You've already gotten some shit for this, but it's like the second most famous thing from that film (after riding the bomb obv.) lol.

I'm seriously really bad at remembering quotes from things unless they're hugely obvious. After hearing the context I do remember it, but still.

I wish I only bought dumb shit when I was drunk. I buy expensive crap when I'm 100% sober and on a way too frequent basis (see my Criterion sale posts).

If I didn't miss the sale I would have been in the same boat. I'm kind of glad I missed it though, I've spent enough money on Blu-rays this month already.

berzeli

Banned
I'm seriously really bad at remembering quotes from things unless they're hugely obvious. After hearing the context I do remember it, but still.

No worries, I just couldn't resist giving you some shit. <3

Oh, and in minor news:

Eureka (Masters of Cinema) are going to have a sale soon. RIP wallet.

Studiocanal fucked up their otherwise nice package for Fallen Idol by messing up the aspect ratio, but issued a disc replacement program.

Kino fucked up the aspect ratio for Spione, but has countered with quoting Gary "the Criterion ratio looks more 'right' to me, what do you mean Criterion just announced a disc replacement program" Tooze.

omgkitty

No worries, I just couldn't resist giving you some shit. <3

Oh, and in minor news:

Eureka (Masters of Cinema) are going to have a sale soon. RIP wallet.

Studiocanal fucked up their otherwise nice package for Fallen Idol by messing up the aspect ratio, but issued a disc replacement program.

Kino fucked up the aspect ratio for Spione, but has countered with quoting Gary "the Criterion ratio looks more 'right' to me, what do you mean Criterion just announced a disc replacement program" Tooze.

For as much shit as Gary seems to get, he and blu-ray.com are the only places I know of that post a lot of screen captures for their reviews, and that's usually what I look at anyways. I hate sites that use 2 tiny thumbnails they found in a Google search.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yes to Dr. Strangelove! I saw the Digibook release last year, but I really wanna see what bonus features the Criterion release includes. Now, I wonder if other "lesser-known"' Kubrick films will get the Criterion treatment like Lolita or Barry Lyndon.

Ridley327

That Blu is in a weird spot in that it's technically OOP and actually fetches a pretty healthy price on the second-hand market. I say technically, since Best Buy carries a SteelBook version every so often for limited time promotions, but with ugly-ass "pop art" adorning a film that has no shortage of great official art to represent it.

51%2Bjwn%2BZY4L.jpg

Shameful.

berzeli

Banned
For as much shit as Gary seems to get, he and blu-ray.com are the only places I know of that post a lot of screen captures for their reviews, and that's usually what I look at anyways. I hate sites that use 2 tiny thumbnails they found in a Google search.

Yup, unfortunately his caps doesn't makes his opinions any less wrong.

That Blu is in a weird spot in that it's technically OOP and actually fetches a pretty healthy price on the second-hand market. I say technically, since Best Buy carries a SteelBook version every so often for limited time promotions, but with ugly-ass "pop art" adorning a film that has no shortage of great official art to represent it.

Shameful.

Oh, it is? I live in magical region B land where it exists in abundance, I can pick it up for about 8$. So that's news to me.

omgkitty

51%2Bjwn%2BZY4L.jpg

Shameful.

Rich Kelly is great and so is that image he did for it, though I think it works better as a print than a cover.

Steamlord

Looking forward to see how criterion improves on the already released Dr. Strangelove, which I coincidentally recently purchased.

On another note, I really need to start hiding my wallet when I drink. I ended up ordering the Synapse release of Tenebrae. Oh well, deep down I guess I really wanted it anyway, expensive blind buy or not.

Well, if you're a fan of gialli at all, I highly doubt you'll regret it.

51%2Bjwn%2BZY4L.jpg

Shameful.

I love this cover.

Already own Strangelove and The New World but I'm excited for the Criterion versions. Day 1.

Spent all your self control on not watching the Uncharted trailer, huh? ;)

to be fair that's like 90% of the jokes in the movie

It's true. I always think of it as being about the absurdity of war (which it is), but it's also wrapped up in male sexuality as the impetus for much of that absurdity. So yeah, I guess a nuke being a stand in for Col. Ripper's cock is actually quite fitting in that way.

Damn I hope so

Draconian

Of course my Criterion order comes in and Don't Look Now has a big crack on the front of the case. I really wish they'd knock it off with these flimsy cardboard mailers.

Of course my Criterion order comes in and Don't Look Now has a big crack on the front of the case. I really wish they'd knock it off with these flimsy cardboard mailers.

In my experience, they're great at replacing broken packaging. A quick email and they sent me a new cover and insert for High and Low for free. I'd even offered to pay shipping fees.

Draconian

In my experience, they're great at replacing broken packaging. A quick email and they sent me a new cover and insert for High and Low for free. I'd even offered to pay shipping fees.

That's good. I sent it off today, so hopefully it's not too long of a wait.

It looks like select Criterions are on sale right now on Amazon. Inside Llewyn Davis, Ikiru, Lady Snowblood, and Mulholland Drive among other newer titles are $21.99. I dunno if I'm gonna be able to resist.

Fjordson

Got my shipment from Criterion from the sale last week. Package looked like it was delivered by Ace Ventura, but somehow both blu-ray cases were intact.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka has revealed the first title for their May lineup:
CcnJwsgUEAAkQGp.jpg

If you like me didn't immediately recognise this title:
A former Imperial Russian general and cousin of the Czar ends up in Hollywood as an extra in a movie directed by a former revolutionary.
I'm so in. (and not just because the cover is very pretty)

Ridley327

It looks like Kino is continuing their Studio Classics slate by adding Fox to the lineup, with a deal that covers films from the 20s through the 90s. It should be interesting to see what they have lined up, as Fox owns all of their films, unlike the more limited selection that the MGM deal had to offer.

omgkitty

Well, there's always their Arrow Academy slate which they will unveil on Monday. ;)

Ugghhh don't remind me. With Criterion seemingly going for more prestige profit titles, the Arrow stuff has been a lot more interesting lately. It's kinda crazy how much Arrow has released that Criterion still hasn't touched yet.

omgkitty

This was just announced. I'm wondering what the overlap is with their Shorts Collection 1920-1923 is as this one says 1917-1923. I already own the Ultimate Set, and don't know if I should pick this up or not.

jerry1594

Ugghhh don't remind me. With Criterion seemingly going for more prestige profit titles, the Arrow stuff has been a lot more interesting lately. It's kinda crazy how much Arrow has released that Criterion still hasn't touched yet.
What trend is this?

I got the old Floating Weeds and wow the case is flimsy. It looks like a $5 Hitchcock collection i got a Walmart, hopefully it doesn't also fall apart just by looking at it.

berzeli

Banned
So the UK launch of Criterion has been confirmed in this month's Sight & Sound.
CcvGFwzXIAApBXG.jpg

edit: Made a thread in the general OT section, but might have misjudged the interest.

omgkitty

Now lets get some region-A arrow releases up in here

They already have those....

Well at least y'all should get Eureka to go come over and unfuck up the mess Kino has made with their Murnau releases.

Yep, I would love to see Eureka releases in the US. They're pretty much the Criterion of the UK. Got a few already since I bought a region free player but ordering from Amazon UK is a pain.

Top Bottom