• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

That one is on the list for this year's horror marathon, but I've been meaning to get into him since I'm of Polish descent myself and I've always been interested to see just what the country produces as far as film without the more Hollywood-focused stuff, like Polanski. Not a knock on him at all, but I can always go for something far less integrated.

cj_iwakura

Are custom DVD covers a thing? I loathe the It Follows cover, and I'd love to change it to something like either of these:

PMINiwT.jpg

XShagrath

It came with a slip cover. I'm a sucker for that stuff. Blows my mind that DVDs get nicer packaging, still.
There's also a slipcover available for the blu-ray. But why does it matter when you want to change the cover anyways? Can't change the slipcover, unless you want to make a custom for that as well.

cj_iwakura

There's also a slipcover available for the blu-ray. But why does it matter when you want to change the cover anyways? Can't change the slipcover, unless you want to make a custom for that as well.

I'd keep the slipcover and have the inside one be different. (I have the Inglourious Basterds LE with the baseball bat cover and the 'group' photo on the inside cover for instance.)

The place I went didn't have the blu-ray slipcover, though.

I got my copy of The Kid on Friday (first time getting something shipped earlier than release date from Amazon). But unfortunately part of the hard plastic came ripped, and I'm too lazy to return it to Amazon so I'mma just order some blank boxes from Criterion.

Ridley327

It sounds like that Criterion is going to put out Alexander Payne's Election at some point. I didn't even think of the possibility of Criterion getting their hands on the Paramount pick-ups that WB handled, so that whole category just got more interesting.

cj_iwakura

It sounds like that Criterion is going to put out Alexander Payne's Election at some point. I didn't even think of the possibility of Criterion getting their hands on the Paramount pick-ups that WB handled, so that whole category just got more interesting.

Wow. Great choice, great film.

omgkitty

Might as well post my pick-up shame here too:

It Happened One Night
To Be or Not to Be
The Graduate
I Knew Her Well
Gilda
All That Jazz
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Complete Lady Snowblood
The American Friend
Sullivan’s Travels
The Palm Beach Story

Steamlord

Didn't have the funds to go completely nuts on this one, but I grabbed The Kid, Kagemusha, and the Troell films. I usually get at least one Bergman every time there's a sale but I held off this time. I'm only missing three Criterion Bergman blus at this point anyway.

Ridley327

What's up with the collection of Hiroshi Teshigahara? Will it get another print run anytime soon?

I think it's in that weird bit of limbo right now where Criterion wants to make damn sure that every copy is snatched up from their retail partners before doing a new print run, as I can't imagine it's a big seller and is probably not terribly cheap to put together. It's the same thing with Pandora's Box and the Sternberg box.

ngower

Picked up The Graduate, The Forgiveness of Blood, Slacker and Mulholland Drive. I only wanted The Graduate and the Grey Gardens poster. I hate these sales :(

cj_iwakura

Could Ghost Dog ever go Criterion? I have the Artisan release, but it's kind of thin on supplement.

Heh, unless you like the Rza video.
(Guilty as charged)

Draconian

Didn't have the funds to go completely nuts on this one, but I grabbed The Kid, Kagemusha, and the Troell films. I usually get at least one Bergman every time there's a sale but I held off this time. I'm only missing three Criterion Bergman blus at this point anyway.

It's the same for me and the Kurosawa blus. I have everything except Ikiru, and frankly I'm not in the mood to watch it anytime soon, so I'll pick it up sometime later this year.

I got Don't Look Now and Kwaidan this time around.

Ridley327

There's an interview with the director of The Witch (about the film) on Criterion's site. Mayhaps an aquisition the line?

One of the more popular suggestions from the New Year's drawing was that the planet in space could have meant The Bling Ring, which sounds like a crazy guess until it was discovered that the Blu-ray is actually out of print now. Not a big deal in of itself since there's a lot of copies out there, but they also discovered that there were a couple of other early A24 releases that were also out of print, like Spring Breakers and The Spectacular Now. A24 definitely has the kind of catalog that would appeal to Criterion, and A24 has had some well-known issues in the past with how they've handled home releases, particularly with both Enemy and Under the Skin initially set as DVD-only releases that got quickie single-layer discs after the outcry was big enough to justify them.

It could just as easily mean that Criterion is just promoting a film of strong acclaim from a newer filmmaker, and it wouldn't be the first time they've done that without it meaning anything other than giving some movies away to a director, but it's something to chew on.

jerry1594

I think it's in that weird bit of limbo right now where Criterion wants to make damn sure that every copy is snatched up from their retail partners before doing a new print run, as I can't imagine it's a big seller and is probably not terribly cheap to put together. It's the same thing with Pandora's Box and the Sternberg box.
I don't get it. It's not oop according to Criterion but only third party Amazon sellers have it. And it's freaking expensive.

Went a little overboard...

Antichrist
The Brood
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Frances Ha
Mulholland Dr.
Rosemary’s Baby
The Uninvited
Videodrome

I've actually been in the mood for some Criterion horror recently, so this was the perfect opportunity for me. Plus this will modernize my Criterion selection quite a bit.

I'm really excited to finally see The Uninvited. It was cheaper than the other discs, hopefully worth the blind buy.

One of the more popular suggestions from the New Year's drawing was that the planet in space could have meant The Bling Ring, which sounds like a crazy guess until it was discovered that the Blu-ray is actually out of print now. Not a big deal in of itself since there's a lot of copies out there, but they also discovered that there were a couple of other early A24 releases that were also out of print, like Spring Breakers and The Spectacular Now. A24 definitely has the kind of catalog that would appeal to Criterion, and A24 has had some well-known issues in the past with how they've handled home releases, particularly with both Enemy and Under the Skin initially set as DVD-only releases that got quickie single-layer discs after the outcry was big enough to justify them.

It could just as easily mean that Criterion is just promoting a film of strong acclaim from a newer filmmaker, and it wouldn't be the first time they've done that without it meaning anything other than giving some movies away to a director, but it's something to chew on.

I certainly hope they nab some A24 stuff, they've got a great catalogue and it would help flesh out Criterion's contemporary stuff. And I'm always down for more horror in the collection so I especially want to The Witch in there.

Shiv47

Even with my $10 "Thank You" credit, I still can't bring myself to buy anything. Just can't beat the prices I can get at B&N.

Yeah, this. I'd like to get The Kid and Speedy, but I can wait. I'm getting more selective in what I buy, so I'm holding off on a lot of stuff I might otherwise have just grabbed previously. My Costco has Eraserhead and Inside Llweyn Davis among a few other Criterion titles for $20, and I was going to grab them, and I thought "how often am I going to watch these?" and put them back. I have so many things to watch already, I can't justify adding more to the pile unless I really want it.

omgkitty

This month's clue

xmXLoBmY5o-96V3WTl8YQsOmWX2CJKiEymZWASWc13W6-5di7s1d43e98BJLn8IRSgjt2rwg5PgeBr62FBo7hmEEXoDNUXjhl6dp-zp9bhaajNq0=s0-d-e1-ft

Saw some comments saying Dr. Strangelove, which I've seen like 3 times and have 0 idea what the context is.

Also, The New World has been confirmed.

Ridley327

Ripper's entire reason for sending out the bombing run in the first place was to protect "precious bodily fluids." It couldn't be a more obvious clue for Dr. Strangelove.

Also, FUCK YES @ Dr. Strangelove.

omgkitty

Ripper's entire reason for sending out the bombing run in the first place was to protect "precious bodily fluids." It couldn't be a more obvious clue for Dr. Strangelove.

Also, FUCK YES @ Dr. Strangelove.

I'm very good at paying attention :| In fairness it's not my favorite Kubrick film.

Looking forward to see how criterion improves on the already released Dr. Strangelove, which I coincidentally recently purchased.

On another note, I really need to start hiding my wallet when I drink. I ended up ordering the Synapse release of Tenebrae. Oh well, deep down I guess I really wanted it anyway, expensive blind buy or not.

Top Bottom