• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

No worries, you can join omgkitty in the "let's ignore berzeli's posts about things we like and care about" club.

hugging-cat1.gif

Fjordson

Some of their stuff is also region free (or at least dual region). Like the Battles Without Honor and Humanity set I have is the UK version ordered directly from Arrow.

Same with the Gangster VIP collection coming out in April. Can't wait for that.

Steamlord

I should probably bite the bullet and get a region free player so I can pick up stuff like the BFI Dreyer collection. Because Criterion doesn't seem to care about Dreyer anymore, or else there's some dumb licensing shit going on or something. And to my knowledge there's no BD release of Vampyr available anywhere, which is ludicrous.

omgkitty

I should probably bite the bullet and get a region free player so I can pick up stuff like the BFI Dreyer collection. Because Criterion doesn't seem to care about Dreyer anymore, or else there's some dumb licensing shit going on or something. And to my knowledge there's no BD release of Vampyr available anywhere, which is ludicrous.

It will happen eventually, but who knows when that will be. While I'm glad Criterion is releasing more of these higher tier releases, I'm disappointed how they're kinda just ignoring upgrades at the moment. There's a lot of older dvd only releases I haven't seen and pretty much refuse to buy, but I guess the cost of them doing the restorations for those titles isn't as profitable as just getting stuff like The Graduate or Inside Llewyn Davis that they probably really didn't need to release, but it's cheaper and more profitable for them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
And now over to Arrow's slate for June:
US only:
Cct1SLDUYAAOkxN.jpg

Suture is a really rad little neo noir (lord, the early '90s were so good for the genre), y'all better not overlook this once it's out. Haysbert in his prime, slick b&w cinemascope, and a twisty, delightfully implausible plot with shades of Teshigahara's Face of Another.

jerry1594

Well at least y'all should get Eureka to go come over and unfuck up the mess Kino has made with their Murnau releases.
Speaking of that, was it Kino that released Faust with a really weird keyboard score? I swear that was on google video when it still existed. I bet most people hate it compared to the orchestral score but it was the first version I saw and I want to rewatch it.

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of that, was it Kino that released Faust with a really weird keyboard score? I swear that was on google video when it still existed. I bet most people hate it compared to the orchestral score but it was the first version I saw and I want to rewatch it.

Kino has had some oddball music choices over the years, but I don't really know. I took a gander and they don't seem to have a release with something I would describe as "weird keyboard". Eureka have included a harp score on their releases, could that be what you meant?
But speaking of weird silent film scores, that people do hate (for good reason), The Tiger Lillies did a score for Varieté (1925). It is pretty much an abomination, a bold and interesting choice which unfortunately really didn't pan out.

jerry1594

Kino has had some oddball music choices over the years, but I don't really know. I took a gander and they don't seem to have a release with something I would describe as "weird keyboard". Eureka have included a harp score on their releases, could that be what you meant?
But speaking of weird silent film scores, that people do hate (for good reason), The Tiger Lillies did a score for Varieté (1925). It is pretty much an abomination, a bold and interesting choice which unfortunately really didn't pan out.
Ok, so I kind of sort of found it, but not really. https://archive.org/details/FAUSTARCHIVESCORE
There's two overlapping scores here, for some weird reason, and the scenes have been reedited to make no sense. The singing at the beginning is part of the version I watched, I remember. Then it gets drowned out. Around the 1:20 mark the score that fades in is also part of the version I watched. That plays when the horsemen are riding and a minute or so later you'll hear a yelling ish type sound. In the version I remember that's when Mephisto is confronted by the angel. This guy made some chopped and screwed bullshit though.... Any idea what release this score may be from?
Also that Varieté score... why?

omgkitty

Ok, so I kind of sort of found it, but not really. https://archive.org/details/FAUSTARCHIVESCORE
There's two overlapping scores here, for some weird reason, and the scenes have been reedited to make no sense. The singing at the beginning is part of the version I watched, I remember. Then it gets drowned out. Around the 1:20 mark the score that fades in is also part of the version I watched. That plays when the horsemen are riding and a minute or so later you'll hear a yelling ish type sound. In the version I remember that's when Mephisto is confronted by the angel. This guy made some chopped and screwed bullshit though.... Any idea what release this score may be from?
Also that Varieté score... why?

I think this is what you're looking for - https://open.spotify.com/album/4LGroVzvA8kPX6x5VtgmB9

The specific track you reference is Gates of Darkness.

berzeli

Banned
So zavvi has their regular 'Mega "Monday"' thing going on, and a number of MoC steelbooks are heavily discounted. I'd normally wouldn't recommend them but they're usually pretty good with steelbooks.
If y'all don't pick up The Passion of Joan of Arc at that ridiculous price (+free shipping to a lot of places), I'll hunt you down. It might just be my favourite thing I own.

Ridley327

Full-on confirmation that Janus/Criterion got their hands on Blood Simple here.

And it sounds like one of the other big restoration projects from the Wexner presentation was almost assuredly Dersu Uzala. I know it's been said the past that the film has required a really big restoration effort because of the type of film it was shot on, so it's probably going to take a while before that hits the discs.

omgkitty

And it sounds like one of the other big restoration projects from the Wexner presentation was almost assuredly Dersu Uzala. I know it's been said the past that the film has required a really big restoration effort because of the type of film it was shot on, so it's probably going to take a while before that hits the discs.

At least we have something new to add to the "we know they have this but it's going to take years" since a lot of big ones have recently been crossed off.

berzeli

Banned

Besides Dersu and Blood Simple I think there was another title which was confirmed but not confirmed. A bunch of those floating around from basically all players (BFI, MoC, Arrow, Kino) atm. Will be interesting to seen when and how those titles materialise.

Heard the same rumours about Dersu, and yeah Soviet film stock has some ... issues to put it mildly.

omgkitty

Besides Dersu and Blood Simple I think there was another title which was confirmed but not confirmed. A bunch of those floating around from basically all players (BFI, MoC, Arrow, Kino) atm. Will be interesting to seen when and how those titles materialise.

Heard the same rumours about Dersu, and yeah Soviet film stock has some ... issues to put it mildly.

Yeah am worried about getting to that one in my Kurosawa watch mainly because it's not easy to find, and what I have found looks like garbage (and isn't in English).

Ridley327

Interview about Criterion UK. It talks mainly about their strategy and the potential issues of entering a market that's already crawling with boutique labels for world cinema, but there is a rather interesting blurb at the end of it:

“For the first time in 30-plus years of business, we have licensing arrangements with all the major American studios,” Turell told me. “Our biggest shortage is slots in the schedule – we have more films than we have slots for.”

Sounds like the cup is soon to runneth over.

Does anyone know if Criterion has the rights and plans to release 'A Touch of Zen'? I just realized that MoC limited edition is sold out and I hate myself for not picking it up in time.

limited editions: fucking up videogames and now ruining movies

Ridley327

Does anyone know if Criterion has the rights and plans to release 'A Touch of Zen'? I just realized that MoC limited edition is sold out and I hate myself for not picking it up in time.

Janus has the rights to both that film and Dragon Inn and are currently touring both theatrically. Shouldn't be too long before we see them hit Criterion.

berzeli

Banned

Eureka is going to release it in a less expensive edition (it loses the slipcover and a bonus disc, maybe the booklet) soon-ish.

omgkitty

Alright, that's good to know. Although I'm still surprised (and a bit pissed) that it became oop so damn fast.

Thanks.

Yeah that seems to happen a lot now, especially with Arrow. "Oh well here's our super special edition with every movie in this set that we only made like 1000 copies of, but don't worry we'll re-release all of them separately a year from now but it will probably cost you like twice as much to get them and it will be missing content!"

berzeli

Banned
Criterion coming to the UK!?
WOOOOOOOOW I didn't see this news anywhere!
Bye bye customs fees thank fuck
There's an interesting rumour brewing about Sony releasing Criterion titles in Europe... It's only a rumour for now, but hey, it's actually looking quite likely (Sony apparently buying the rights for a large catalogue of titles recently, BBFC classified the extras that Criterion made for Polanski's Macbeth with the distributor listed as Sony DADC UK Limited).
So the UK launch of Criterion has been confirmed in this month's Sight & Sound.
CcvGFwzXIAApBXG.jpg

edit: Made a thread in the general OT section, but might have misjudged the interest.
Another link to the thread I made
Hey, Fancy Clown and omgkitty. One more for the club!

Ridley327

This happens so often now I even forgot today was supposed to be an announcement time.

The funny is that we can already figure out what they're announcing tomorrow by who they added today to their People search on the website.

Come to Ridley, Fantastic Planet!

Ridley327

In case anyone was wondering what the slate is looking like for June, these are the highly educated guesses:

-Les Amiche
-Clouds of Sils Maria
-Here Comes Mr. Jordan
-Fantastic Planet
-La Chienne

Boyhood might be in the announcements, too, but that's not as solid a guess as the others.

berzeli

Banned
Got my Mabuse steelbooks from when zavvi lost their mind with the pricing. They're absolutely stunning. I now own five of the MoC steelbooks and I love every single one of them, they're some of the best packages I've ever seen.

Thanks for catching me up.
I pre-ordered a couple of UK titles, still excited about it all!
I was mostly continuing poking fun at the trend in this thread of missing my posts. Not that I would ever do something like that. Ever.

I haven't really made up my mind about Criterion in the UK, whilst I'm excited about the titles they may bring I really hope they don't disrupt the market a lot. I need Eureka, Arrow, and BFI to remain in the game, I just love their releases so much.

omgkitty

I haven't really made up my mind about Criterion in the UK, whilst I'm excited about the titles they may bring I really hope they don't disrupt the market a lot. I need Eureka, Arrow, and BFI to remain in the game, I just love their releases so much.

For now at least, it seems they're just going to release stuff they have the rights to that are not out in the UK. The only way it's really going to bother me is if they start trying to prioritize stuff they know they can release in both territories, or pick up releases and only put them out in the UK.

It's already kind of a pain that they have taken to putting out new stuff only and big prestige titles, instead of giving us a good mix of new and old. Now every month or two needs to have a tentpole release, instead of just one or two a year. This is especially bullshit since they're skimping on things like packaging, booklets and supplements. Frankly I blame all the fucking idiots who refused to upgrade to blu-ray who are forcing them to keep putting out DVD's and screwed up the dual format releases. It's fucking 2016 people, upgrade already.

berzeli

Banned
For now at least, it seems they're just going to release stuff they have the rights to that are not out in the UK. The only way it's really going to bother me is if they start trying to prioritize stuff they know they can release in both territories, or pick up releases and only put them out in the UK.

They've apparently fucked over Eureka a bit already. I mentioned in that rumour post that Sony bought a bunch of rights, Eureka was bidding for it as well. And they have lost the rights to things like Make Way for Tomorrow (released by them on blu and DVD) and Gray Gardens (released by them on DVD). And Eureka is the only company which handles silent cinema with the respect it deserves so I'd hate it if they have a tougher time now.

omgkitty

They've apparently fucked over Eureka a bit already. I mentioned in that rumour post that Sony bought a bunch of rights, Eureka was bidding for it as well. And they have lost the rights to things like Make Way for Tomorrow (released by them on blu and DVD) and Gray Gardens (released by them on DVD). And Eureka is the only company which handles silent cinema with the respect it deserves so I'd hate it if they have a tougher time now.

What is Eureka's release schedule like anyways? It seems they only put out a couple releases a month at most anyways.

Top Bottom