• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

anaron

White Josh >>>>>>>>

that's all.
Also, this was probably the darkest episode yet, and most likely closer to what we'd get if the show was still on Showtime. The subject matter that they're dealing with is closer to something like Enlightened than anything else on TV right now, save for maybe Homeland, I guess?

Coincidentally, this was the least funny episode yet, so I guess you could say it really is like a Showtime comedy.

I find him so attractive

beat

It was so bad. That was some awkward, glacial, boring and bad shit. Yikes. I wanted to turn it off 5 times. Here's hoping the show gets back on it's feet next week.
I thought it was great, but specifically in a "holy shit this is too real" kind of way. I hadn't even realized I was that much of a cliche, because so many of the specifics of Rebecca's breakdown rang true to me.

As someone who has been very amused/loved this show, I say:

What the HELL was the newest episode?

It was so bad. That was some awkward, glacial, boring and bad shit. Yikes. I wanted to turn it off 5 times. Here's hoping the show gets back on it's feet next week.
This episode was too real for some people.

Sober

It should have been obvious by now that this series isn't just a straight comedy.
I learned to just roll with complaints like these after watching enough of comedy-leaning shows when they decide to try to tackle actual issues like mental health, etc. and stops being a "joke dispenser" for a few hours.

jerry113

Banned
i'm like the manliest man ever but i can't help but not be into rachel bloom and her craizness

this is like a mixture of depressing and funny, it's like watching a person slowly lose it

JCX

This episode was too real for some people.

Seriously. Best episode of the season. Really dove into depression/mental illness without the usual very special episode feel. Both new songs were on point, and the Sexy Getting Ready Song callback was cute.

Quick

Banned
Alright, so I decided to jump right into this. It looked interesting enough.

Midway through episode 1, it's weird as hell, but in a good way.

Edit: Alright,so Rachel Bloom is pretty hot. She looks like a shorter Cecily Strong.

anaron

I looooved the last ep. The scene with Rebecca in her office demanding it to stop and nearly giving herself a panic attack was so perfect.

Quick

Banned
Finished episode 1.

I did not expect this to be a musical. But music is on point.

This show is weird as hell.

Premise is interesting, and I'm hoping it doesn't lose its charm too quickly.

The song in the middle, while she was getting ready for the house party was hilarious. The ass blood completes it.

Guess I gotta watch episode 2 now.

Quick

Banned
Episode 2.

I feel like this show has the potential to get really dark, despite its cheerful tone.

Rebecca has some sort of addictive personality, and all the musical numbers she imagines could be issues projecting.

I don't know anything about the show other than what I've seen so far, but I'm intrigued to see if it goes dark.

Also, "bra aisle" joke and "how many bras are you wearing?" - hahaha.

Episode 2.

I feel like this show has the potential to get really dark, despite its cheerful tone.

Rebecca has some sort of addictive personality, and all the musical numbers she imagines could be issues projecting.

I don't know anything about the show other than what I've seen so far, but I'm intrigued to see if it goes dark.

Also, "bra aisle" joke and "how many bras are you wearing?" - hahaha.
It gets dark and fucked up, but remains hilarious. Welcome to the club. You have friends, you definitely have friends.

Quick

Banned
Episode 3 now.

Shit got sad with the flashback of Rebecca's dad walking out on her. Wow.

On that note, this has to be the quickest-paced episode I've seen so far.

I just assumed that Josh was just weirded out by Rebecca essentially stalking her, but he's a much better character now.

Boy Band Josh is hilarious.

anaron

RollingStone: How 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Became TV's Best Stalker Musical Comedy

"We were interested in exploring the issue of: What are the biological things that love does to you, when it takes over the most intellectual parts of your brain?" Bloom says. "And I think the more intelligent you are, the more it drives you quote-unquote crazy, because you know you shouldn't be feeling this way or doing these things."

"She really came from our Id," series co-creator Aline Brosh McKenna says of the character. "Women are sold this idea that love is the most important thing. Why does that become such a central preoccupation for an intelligent woman? And instead of questioning those things in a rational way, she just sort of explodes."

Quick

Banned
I finished Episode 4 last night, and man, Rebecca can be a really shitty person.

Goes on a date with Greg, ditches him for the vegan dude. MAN.

I forgot but then remembered that I just realized last night while failing to fall asleep that Rachel's husband's last name is Gregor I'm sure in a total coincidence Santino Fontana's character is named Greg.

Hmmm...

Insomnia sucks.

It's here, watching live for once!

I was wondering if we'd see Rachel's grandmother and there she was along with her great grandmother.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sorry, Crazy Ex. Browns play tonight. I'll have to catch up online later this week.

[edit] Well, I'm back. Gave up a fucking touchdown on a punt return 10 minutes into the game.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This was probably my least favorite episode so far, but the California Christmas song was great.

What will I do without this show for almost two months? :(

One thing that keeps surprising me even though it shouldn't is that the show resolves most of the packages it opens in an episode by the end of said episode. I keep thinking that it'll take a few more episodes to resolve. I'm not sure which I would prefer honestly.

I was also surprised that it looks like we'll be seeing more of Calvin, but I'm cool with that.

Wow, Greg was a mega-dick.

This was probably my least favorite episode so far, but the California Christmas song was great.

What will I do without this show for almost two months? :(
Honestly my exact thoughts for both. Guess theres nothing for it but to shill away for the two months.

Zoe

I see now why the theater geeks were falling all over Tovah.

The puppy dog eyes was probably my favorite bit :lol

Sober

That was pretty good, not the best episode but still fun all around.

California Christmas was amazing though, glad to see the whole cast in a number.

Quick

Banned
Accidentally skipped over two episodes and watched Episode 7, with Rebecca having a panic attack. I figured it was weird when Greg was texting Rebecca in the opening, after what happened in Episode 4. Nothing overall was really "spoiled" for me by watching ahead.

In fact, I only realized I skipped ahead, when I opened up Episode 6, and the first thing on the recap was Josh telling Rebecca he's attracted to her.

I had to backtrack to Episode 5, with Rebecca representing Darryl in his custody battle. That whole song about Darryl loving his daughter was fucking hilarious.

It weirds me out how Rebecca is loaded with money, so loaded that she can easily withdraw $10,000 without care, then losing it. I assume Darryl's ex-wife was kidding when she said she bought a hot tub with the money. Random, casual thing that took me out of the show for a moment - out of all the ridiculous things to have happened so far.

I didn't realize that Josh was supposed to be Filipino until the end of Episode 7, when he got the rice cooker and plainly pointed it out, but on that same note, I didn't really think about it too hard. I figured Father Bro was Filipino, since the stereotype was ringing close.

I have Episode 6 and 8 left before I'm all caught up. Episode 6 being a Thanksgiving episode with Filipinos should be interesting.

Zoe

It weirds me out how Rebecca is loaded with money, so loaded that she can easily withdraw $10,000 without care, then losing it. I assume Darryl's ex-wife was kidding when she said she bought a hot tub with the money. Random, casual thing that took me out of the show for a moment - out of all the ridiculous things to have happened so far.

Don't forget she was a baller NYC lawyer.

Quick

Banned
Don't forget she was a baller NYC lawyer.

I know she's loaded being a top earning lawyer in New York (and now at West Covina), but I guess the negligible loss of $10,000 just reminds me that I am not a baller. :(

Also, Heather telling Rebecca, "I forgot that you got those British nanny boobs" while Rebecca tried to enter through the pet door. Damn lol.

I'm probably just losing my mind and I kind of want Maria Bamford to play a role on this show, preferably as Rebecca's aunt or something though she isn't Jewish.

anaron

yep, I think this is gonna take number 1 show for me. That final musical number was just the best.

I can't handle not having it go on break!

beat

I'm probably just losing my mind and I kind of want Maria Bamford to play a role on this show, preferably as Rebecca's aunt or something though she isn't Jewish.

I feel like Bamford's crazy-bad lawyer on Benched is a little too close to Weir's crazy-bad secretary (paralegal?) on this show.

Quick

Banned
Just wanted to add that the West Covina song jingle is really the perfect interlude for the show.

It's fucking catchy. The Pretzel was great.

anaron

Best song on the show so far a d that's saying a lot

On a side note I love that kid who plays young Rebecca in flashbacks. It was great seeing her again.
I'm so happy she's recurred. She's so good.

the establishment shots this week were extra hilarious. Ugly signs, construction, telephone wires sparking. I LOVE IT

Zoe

It just occurred to me to look up who played Rebecca's father: Jay Huguley. I have a feeling we'll see more of him since he's not just a bit actor.

(he was also on TWD as a member of Alexandria)

So now that we're mid season, what were your favorite songs? Episodes? Moments? Characters? Any flops?

For starters, my favorite songs are still Feelin Kinda Naughty, I'm A Good Person and Sex With A Stranger. Feelin Kinda Naughty is a critical part of my shill pitch if I mention the show to someone, and the other two songs speak to me at varying degrees.

Top Bottom