• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

beat

This show is so damn funny. And I can't remember the last time (probably never) that I actually watched 2 Filipinos on screen on a TV show at the same time without accents. Hell, even with accents not counting anything I've seen at my parents house.

The last time was the previous episode, when Eugene Cordero was the manager at Aloha Tech interviewing Josh!

Before that, I dunno.

mm04

The last time was the previous episode, when Eugene Cordero was the manager at Aloha Tech interviewing Josh!

Before that, I dunno.

Yeah, you're right. Well, they actually did some research on the West Covina populace. And the basketball love was spot on too.

The music bits are so brilliant. I swear, it's better than network TV deserves, dammit.

Still waiting for Rebecca to finally realize just how terrible she has been. Maybe once the money dries up and she has alienated more people she will come to her senses.

Really liked Daryll's song this week. But both were good! This show is hitting an amazing variety of genres.

Pop, electroish, Boy Band, Country, Showtunes, Quasi-Gospel, Whatever genre the yoga song was.

Show just gets better every week

Right now my local PBS station is showing a live performance of a recent Broadway play at the Lincoln Center and who should be the star but Santino Fontana (Greg). I wondered after seeing his "Settle for Me" number if they specifically cast actors with actual musical experience so I guess I shouldn't be surprised one of them is an actual Broadway star.

Mariolee

I've just heard of this show and have been watching the music videos and I am hooked. Definitely going to start tuning in. I feel like with a bigger marketing push this would be a crazy huge hit.

Future

Right now my local PBS station is showing a live performance of a recent Broadway play at the Lincoln Center and who should be the star but Santino Fontana (Greg). I wondered after seeing his "Settle for Me" number if they specifically cast actors with actual musical experience so I guess I shouldn't be surprised one of them is an actual Broadway star.

https://instagram.com/p/9UbvouHlGv/

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they were all singers

beat

Well, at Paleyfest* Bloom and McKenna said that all the actors were cast primarily for the non-singing aspect of their roles, though I vaguely understand most of them do come from Broadway.

* It's still on Yahoo Screen! Check it out, it's pretty cool!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Oh they are. Just about all the regulars have been on Broadway.

eta: Amy Hill wearing a grill is everything I never knew I needed.
Can't post it right now but Rachel made a video on her YouTube explaining where are all the main cast is from and their musical backgrounds.

Huffington Post: "Crazy Ex Girlfriend is a bad feminist, just like us"

Some women fully embrace traditional womanhood, and others fully embrace radical independence, but most of us are caught in a limbo somewhere between. Like Rebecca, we conceive of ourselves as strong, independent and far too cool to sacrifice ourselves for male attention, but, also like Rebecca, we weren’t exactly raised in a world that fostered those qualities. Instead, here we are, caught between what we’ve been trained to want and what we’re not embarrassed to say we want.

Perfect article is perfect. This is exactly why the show resonates so strongly with me.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That was some sudden makeup sex

I loved it when both Rachel and the mom were both quietly like "Noooooo"

[edit] LoL the stinger with the kid ... every stinger is great every episode

I wrote half-assed running commentary while watching the episode.

Season five Sliders cast member in this episode! Amy Hill with a grill that was kinda freaky. Hey, it's Tembi Locke! I don't I've seen her since Sliders ended. She's going to shit herself isn't she? Josh going to propose? Will she shit herself right after the propsal? No, kind of and nope.

"My butthole is the gateway to hell". #ClinchBeckyClinch

EDIT: NSFW version of "I Give Good Parent".

Season five Sliders cast member in this episode! Amy Hill with a grill that was kinda freaky. Hey, it's Tembi Locke! I don't I've seen her since Sliders ended. She's going to shit herself isn't she? Josh going to propose? Will she shit herself right after the propsal? No, kind of and nope.

EDIT: NSFW version of "I Give Good Parent".
Great nsfw one.

And a great and sad episode. I felt so bad for Greg. And Paula distraught at the end since Rebecca and Greg were bonding.

I think this episode established Paula as a clear enabler and an honestly unhealthy friendship for Rebecca.

I kinda love that actually. Paula is a great character and a pretty good person but she is bad bad bad for Rebecca and enables all her worst issues vis a vis her mental psyche.

anaron

omg

this show is easily my favourite on TV now.

another amazing episode. Poor Greg, everything is so awful for him. His song was one of the most affecting, depressing things I've seen on TV in a while.

my favourite line

The squirrel establishing shot gets me every time.
SAME

Asbel

Did anyone else find it weird that Josh just grabbed Rebecca from behind? And Greg is falling back into that friendzone.

Did anyone else find it weird that Josh just grabbed Rebecca from behind? And Greg is falling back into that friendzone.
It was a tad strong but some people are legitimately like that with friends. Learn it fast or feel the mixed emotions.

Also, it turns out that one of the girls that was on Kids React plays one of Josh's family members.

West Covina gave Rachel the key to the city.
12277354_913792888668344_1055032046_n.jpg

Watching this SAG-AFTRA interview, the thing that kinda surprised me was Rachel describing Rebecca as "a bubbly Walter White." This sounds kinda... extreme. I totally get that she's an anti-hero and that they [the writers] are not really trying to make her likable to the audience, just her motives understandable. On the other hand, potentially taking the character too far towards villainy on the anti-hero scale may prove too much for me. I want to root for her - if not to win Josh's love than at least to find some happiness on her own.

Balancing Rebecca has been mostly successful so far - let's hope the show will be able to maintain that.

Top Bottom