• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

Okay, rewatching on the CW's site, I guess that was more like Rebecca's great grandmother and great-great grand mother or maybe further back. I give up!

I feel like Bamford's crazy-bad lawyer on Benched is a little too close to Weir's crazy-bad secretary (paralegal?) on this show.

I've never seen Benched so that didn't occur to me.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes

but she has her new Netflix show so who knows if there's scheduling stuff.

I only just saw that from finding her Twitter, maybe.

She can be from the Irish Catholic side.

This... This could work.

Asbel

Fun episode. That mom song spoke to me partly and I grew up in Cali. No snow Xmas was such a bummer. Now I live in Michigan and we get snow in April, haha.

Quick

Banned
Finished the Thanksgiving episode. That was fantastic. The music was great.

I'm actually glad to see some conflict for Greg that doesn't relate to Rebecca. He just seemed like a complete dick for the most part. But partly with cause.

The show is toying with the prospect of Rebecca/Greg, while Josh is supposed to be the end goal. I'm worried that the idea might run out of steam quickly. While I hope they don't drag that out too long, I wonder what could fill the gap if either Rebecca and Greg get together or not.

The more I watch the show, the less I feel that Rebecca is actually going to end up with Josh. I'm pretty sure that's the idea of the show, in any case.

And I have to say that this might be the first time on US television that I've seen an actual portrayal of a Filipino family. Shit-ton of food, going to mass, etc. Even complete with the accent when Josh's mom spoke English. That's authentic as hell. Too bad Rebecca didn't actually speak much Tagalog, that would've killed me.

I just have Episode 8 to catch up on and I'm all caught up.

JayDub

I'm actually glad to see some conflict for Greg that doesn't relate to Rebecca. He just seemed like a complete dick for the most part. But partly with cause.

The show is toying with the prospect of Rebecca/Greg, while Josh is supposed to be the end goal. I'm worried that the idea might run out of steam quickly. While I hope they don't drag that out too long, I wonder what could fill the gap if either Rebecca and Greg get together or not.

The more I watch the show, the less I feel that Rebecca is actually going to end up with Josh. I'm pretty sure that's the idea of the show, in any case.

And I have to say that this might be the first time on US television that I've seen an actual portrayal of a Filipino family. Shit-ton of food, going to mass, etc. Even complete with the accent when Josh's mom spoke English. That's authentic as hell. Too bad Rebecca didn't actually speak much Tagalog, that would've killed me.

How are we going to reconcile the fact that his last name is Chan if he is Filipino? Was it explained?

Quick

Banned
How are we going to reconcile the fact that his last name is Chan if he is Filipino? Was it explained?

Having unintentionally skipped to episode 7 previously, I didn't realize he was supposed to be Filipino until he brought it up at the end of that episode.

On that note, I do know some Filipinos with non-Spanish last names.

Sober

I guess just get to episode 8. ;-)

Zoe

They changed Josh's name from Cheng to Chan when VR3 was cast. Apparently Chan does occur with some frequency.

Shouldn't matter though, just because you're Filipino doesn't mean you have a Spanish name. Mine isn't Spanish at all. (Or any other kind of Asian, I just assume it's native)

Quick

Banned
"I gotta hit the ladies...room. I ain't a football player."

dr-dre-face-gif.gif

Quick

Banned
I'm all caught up OH NOOOOOOOO.

I have to sit through each week now when it's back in late January.

OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO

Since the rating are low anyway, they should just release the episodes on Netflix during the break to see if it changes the ratings.

They're making the same mistakes as Jane the Virgin when it comes to growing the fanbase.

Pedowitz don't curr, he'll renew that shit anyway

beat

The show is toying with the prospect of Rebecca/Greg, while Josh is supposed to be the end goal. […]

Huh, I've always felt like the show thinks Rebecca/Greg is endgame. If we can incorporate exegetic details, Rebecca shares initials with the star and co-creator Rachel Bloom, and in real life, Bloom's husband's last name is Gregor...

They changed Josh's name from Cheng to Chan when VR3 was cast. Apparently Chan does occur with some frequency.

As I understand it, the character is Chinese-Filipino, and yeah, that's how they got to "Chan" from the original name. (Though I thought it was "Chang".)

And so far my favorite song is "Settle For Me", though "A Boy Band Made Up Of Four Joshes" is insanely catchy and sticks in my head for a while if I even think about it.

Even just putting the first half of the season on CWTV.com would be nice but it's not gonna happen. =\

Oh, I didn't realize that. I watched on my own between episodes 4 and 5 and was cheerfully only watching the newest episode after that, so I was referring folks to cw to watch it. That makes it harder to convince others.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I watched on my own between episodes 4 and 5 and was cheerfully only watching the newest episode after that, so I was referring folks to cw to watch it. That makes it harder to convince others.

Yeah, they also only keep the most recent five episodes on their site. It's kinda lame, I don't blame people who end up using "other methods" to watch episodes that aren't available to stream if it means turning them on to and catching themselves up on a show.

EDIT:

But they have been putting it on their site?
Only the five most recent episodes which is what I meant. I'm saying it'd be nice if episodes 1-3 back up along with 4-8 so people could watch it all during the break.

JCX

Rachel's mom's song was good, but the rest of the storyline bored me. Greg's storyline was a pretty great turn on the typical "going hoe to visit family" storyline, although it did remind me of Liz Lemon's high school reunion on 30 Rock.

Quick

Banned
Huh, I've always felt like the show thinks Rebecca/Greg is endgame. If we can incorporate exegetic details, Rebecca shares initials with the star and co-creator Rachel Bloom, and in real life, Bloom's husband's last name is Gregor...

The show's whole premise is devised to have Rebecca/Josh as the endgame, but Rebecca/Greg would be the curveball.

Zoe

The show's whole premise is devised to have Rebecca/Josh as the endgame, but Rebecca/Greg would be the curveball.

Nah, the premise is that Rebecca is deluding herself.

As I understand it, the character is Chinese-Filipino, and yeah, that's how they got to "Chan" from the original name. (Though I thought it was "Chang".)

I'm not really sure he's meant to be part-Chinese (his father doesn't look it). I suspect they didn't give him a Spanish name so people wouldn't assume his character was Mexican.

The numbers seem to be climbing but it's still low. It also did get those additional episodes approved. So I'm trying to be mildly optimistic. I REALLY wish you could legitimately see those earlier episodes though. I'd much rather send people to Hulu or CW and give those places clicks that can contribute to the bottom line, vs. going to a backalley site.

I'm actually not a big TV watcher. When shows have a couple month hiatus like this, will they usually show the previous episodes prior to the start of the 2nd half to catch up? I figure the best time to get people on board is right before the season starts up again.

Fintan

The numbers seem to be climbing but it's still low. It also did get those additional episodes approved. So I'm trying to be mildly optimistic. I REALLY wish you could legitimately see those earlier episodes though. I'd much rather send people to Hulu or CW and give those places clicks that can contribute to the bottom line, vs. going to a backalley site.

I'm actually not a big TV watcher. When shows have a couple month hiatus like this, will they usually show the previous episodes prior to the start of the 2nd half to catch up? I figure the best time to get people on board is right before the season starts up again.
I'm not from America so not sure, but I imagine they'll be repeating episodes and maybe do a marathon over the Christmas period or something like that.

beat

Yeah, this. From the latest episode, she's still in denial about how much of a factor Josh was in her deciding to move to the town he coincidentally moved back to.

Quick

Banned

Yeah, this. From the latest episode, she's still in denial about how much of a factor Josh was in her deciding to move to the town he coincidentally moved back to.

I guess what I meant was that the facade we're being shown is Josh and Rebecca are the endgame. But if you watch the show, it's a lot more nuanced than just, "Rebecca is crazy in love with Josh, and moved to West Covina for him - let's see what antics she gets to to win Josh over." And it's actually, "Rebecca seems to have some deep issues, and her obsession with Josh is just one tangent of it."

But in any case, she is definitely deluded and clearly needs some help. She's so broken insiiiiiiiide.

So the Golden Globe nominations are supposed to be announced on the 10th, if this show doesn't get at least a best comedy nomination I'm going to be pretty salty.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just caught up. I thought the last episode was amazing. Probably the best one, with the "Feelin Kinda Naughty Tonight" episode as second funniest. The mom's song was amazing, and I love the stoner friend. When she said "Okay, I'll quit. I QUIIIIIITTTTTT!"... so good.

Didn't see her and Greg hooking up.

We need at least two seasons of this. It's so great.

Scribble

The 'My Sexy Depression' episode is one of the best things I've seen on TV about mental illness. Seriously!

If this show is cancelled...

The 'I have friends' episode has to be my personal favourite, though. That last boyband song is not too far off from a relationship dynamic I've experienced in the past.
I have friends I definitely have friends.

I was scrolling through the nominations and was pretty disappointed that the show didn't (that category is stacked though) get nominated then I scrolled further and saw Rachel was so that made it better. I'm pretty happy about that. Gina Rodriguez was nominated again but I'm going to have to root for Rachel more since Gina won last year.

V_Arnold

This is now my favorite show on TV, period.
I cant stop listening to California Christmastime / Feeling Kinda Naughty / I am a good person on a loop on youtube :D

Top Bottom