• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II |OT| Mike Patton will eat your heart OUT!

I read somewhere that the campaign is 6 hours long, if true, (sadly) won't be day one.

A focused campaign is good stuff in my ears, keep that filler away and give me something well paced. Co-op can fill in the rest of the time since that is story based as well.

Can't fucking wait. Day 1. Co-op bddies on PS3 are welcome :D

Cudder

A focused campaign is good stuff in my ears, keep that filler away and give me something well paced. Co-op can fill in the rest of the time since that is story based as well.

I'm down for some co-op on day one. What's your PSN? You having a James Sunderland avatar is reason enough to befriend you.

Edit: apparently the game scored an 8.1 in PSM3.

"Although the Darkness II is a far-from perfect shooter, it does tell a compelling story that compares favourably to genre greats such as Bioshock, Half-life 2 and Resistance 3."

"No, it doesn't tell a delicate emotional tale the way the original does, but the ending will still leave your head spinning, even as the horrific executions have your stomach churning."

I'm down for some co-op on day one. What's your PSN? You having a James Sunderland avatar is reason enough to befriend you.

Edit: apparently the game scored an 8.1 in PSM3.

"Although the Darkness II is a far-from perfect shooter, it does tell a compelling story that compares favourably to genre greats such as Bioshock, Half-life 2 and Resistance 3."

"No, it doesn't tell a delicate emotional tale the way the original does, but the ending will still leave your head spinning, even as the horrific executions have your stomach churning."
You can count me in for some PS3 co-op! PSN: Rei_no_Otaku

The more I think about this game the more I've soured on it as a $60 purchase.
A six hour campaign is perfectly fine in this day and age; ASSUMING there is some varied gameplay or epic set pieces. The Darkness 2 has neither. Granted I haven't finished the game yet (4 hours in), but so far I have seen everything the game offers within the first ten minutes. The actual gunplay is good, the guns are fun to shoot. But the firefights are completely bog standard corridor fare and the enemies are just boring. I've fought the same bad guys for 4 hours. Some guys have guns, other have bats. That's pretty much it. There is no big sandbox to play in like Halo, it really is CoD style level design but with worse shooting mechanics. The upgrade system is nice, but there's no upgrade that i'm on the jones to get, nothing that feels like it will help me in a meaningful way. As for the pick-up items and throw it mechanic, Bulletstorm did it much better because of the variety of items you can utilize.
The game's saving grace is its story; it's going in an interesting direction and it's DARK as hell. This game is very explicit, pulls no punches so for that, it's great. I don't know; if you enjoyed the demo, you'll like the game. Just don't expect to be blown away.

The more I think about this game the more I've soured on it as a $60 purchase.
A six hour campaign is perfectly fine in this day and age; ASSUMING there is some varied gameplay or epic set pieces. The Darkness 2 has neither. Granted I haven't finished the game yet (4 hours in), but so far I have seen everything the game offers within the first ten minutes. The actual gunplay is good, the guns are fun to shoot. But the firefights are completely bog standard corridor fare and the enemies are just boring. I've fought the same bad guys for 4 hours. Some guys have guns, other have bats. That's pretty much it. There is no big sandbox to play in like Halo, it really is CoD style level design but with worse shooting mechanics. The upgrade system is nice, but there's no upgrade that i'm on the jones to get, nothing that feels like it will help me in a meaningful way. As for the pick-up items and throw it mechanic, Bulletstorm did it much better because of the variety of items you can utilize.
The game's saving grace is its story; it's going in an interesting direction and it's DARK as hell. This game is very explicit, pulls no punches so for that, it's great. I don't know; if you enjoyed the demo, you'll like the game. Just don't expect to be blown away.

It's about what I expected. Story's one of the main reasons to get it, so I'm getting it for that.

It's about what I expected. Story's one of the main reasons to get it, so I'm getting it for that.

Indeed. I find it an accomplishment in itself that they didn't fuck it up. I was very sceptical at first reveal, but the style works and the story premise seems on the level of the first game.

That game too was very standard in its design, which was redeemed tenfold by the story. I expect the same of Darkness II judging from pre-release footage and the demo, and I applaud DE for that.

dreamfall

I'm going for story as well- I really enjoyed the TopCow comics when younger, loved the first game and was hesitant when hearing DE was taking over. But the art direction and the demo really got me hyped, so I'll be picking it up. Wish they'd incorporate Angelus and Magdalena though (maybe a future title?).

Edit: Hell, even Witchblade!

EYEL1NER

Can't wait. Picked it up for $55 with $20 credit online but it won't be here until the end of the week.
Nice to see Mike get name-dropped in the thread title too.

theDeeDubs

It's on its way from Gamefly as we speak. I wasn't a huge fan of the first game or Starbreeze but I really enjoyed the demo for this. I've always been a sucker for the cel shaded look too. If it's as good as I expect, I plan to purchase it once it gets below $40. Just renting to snag the mp trophies for now while I wait. DE has made some decent underrated games this gen like Dark Sector.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yeah, put me down as another "day 1 for anything Mike Patton is involved in" purchaser of Darkness II. Digital Extremes deserves some love too, it seems like they continually get overlooked. Very good studio.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm happy to hear that you can go through the co-op mode solo. That mode looks like it'll make up for the short-ish campaign.

5amshift

Banned
Played the demo and loved every bit of it. After seeing it at PAX East last year, I definitely became more interested. Darkness II definitely looks promising.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Definitely excited for this. Loved the first one, loved II's demo, I am excite!

Unfortunately, I'll probably wait on a Steam sale, or at least until after I'm done with Kingdoms of Amalur and ME3.

I enjoyed the demo, the cell-shading was gorgeous to look at and it controlled and felt great. However as a 6-hour Single Player shooter than looks to offer little in terms of gameplay variety I'm not sure I can justify playing full price. I'll wait for more impressions, but at the money this looks like one for the next steam sale.

BTW: How is the first Darkness? Worth tracking down a copy? (Never released on pc, which makes it kind of a pain to find now) I'm curious as to how it holds up today and if the story is important to the sequel.

ezekial45

Banned
BTW: How is the first Darkness? Worth tracking down a copy? (Never released on pc, which makes it kind of a pain to find now) I'm curious as to how it holds up today and if the story is important to the sequel.

It's pretty enjoyable. Good story, and the visuals still hold up ok. The MP mode is completely dead, though. But it was never good, anyway.

I'm sure it's pretty cheap now.

Apdiddy

The first Darkness is worth tracking down a copy but the graphics are almost too dark at times (like literally you can't see anything) and you'll get tired of the guy voicing Jackie telling you stories about idiots he knew anytime you go anywhere (in loading screens).

Thankfully, they changed the voice for Jackie from what I could tell in the Darkness II demo. He sounds better and less of a guy trying to do a Robert DeNiro impression.

Sinthetic

Brilliant. It's one of my top games this gen, even higher than stuff that came out in 2010/11.

goodfella

I wish the first game was on steam.

Edit: Oh it was never out on PC in the first place. Its such a 'PC' looking game though.

Himself

I just played it for the first time last month and loved it. It really does a good job of making you feel like a dark, menacing SOB. The atmosphere is top notch and there are some interesting mechanics, even if they don't work as well as they should. Cool levels, great music. Even if it's a bit unpolished by today's standards, it's got a lot of heart and I haven't really played another FPS much like it. Unbelievable finale.

It's a bit slower and less arcade-like compared to the demo of II.

gabbo

I wish the first game was on steam.

Edit: Oh it was never out on PC in the first place. Its such a 'PC' looking game though.

It was originally planned for release on PC, but never saw the light of day.
I agree with dreamfall, that's my favourite moment as well.

Finished it. I'd give it a 7/10.
Was ready for it to be over by the end. The gameplay/firefights just are simply not good. And the ending is pretty unsatisfying IMO. Also as far as I can tell there is no way to change character midgame during coop or even select a specific mission in the menus? Correct me if I'm wrong but that is inexcusable in 2012.
Wasn't worth the $60 I paid but I did enjoy the gunplay. It's pretty sad when the opening pull through the restaurant is the only set piece in the game and the only time that combat is varied at all. Oh well, time to get some achievements.

Cudder

Finished it. I'd give it a 7/10.
Was ready for it to be over by the end. The gameplay/firefights just are simply not good. And the ending is pretty unsatisfying IMO. Also as far as I can tell there is no way to change character midgame during coop or even select a specific mission in the menus? Correct me if I'm wrong but that is inexcusable in 2012.
Wasn't worth the $60 I paid but I did enjoy the gunplay. It's pretty sad when the opening pull through the restaurant is the only set piece in the game and the only time that combat is varied at all. Oh well, time to get some achievements.

Just from looking at the list of achievements and having finished the game, how hard are they to get? I heard you can get all of the co-op ones playing solo? So then there's no actual online ones?

Sinthetic

Getting mostly 7's across the board, seen a couple of 8's too.

EDIT: Actually, I would say even amounts of both are being given out.

.la1n

Feel free to add me on PSN, I will be getting into co op as soon as the single player campaign is completed. I am putting the rest of my backlog on hold. This game is amazing.

derFeef

I like that from the eurogamer review:
With so many shooters squeezing plot into the spaces between gunshots, it's great to play a game that makes you walk around and talk to people, that takes its characters and their emotions seriously. There are even regular interludes in an asylum (where it's hinted that Jackie may be, in reality) which play out as miniature adventure games: all story, no action. Even in a frankly ridiculous slapstick game about a gangster with demon tendrils, a little attention to character detail can make all the difference.

LaneDS

The demo was great and runs beautifully on PC. Might just pick this up. Amazon has it for $42.49: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JA7CSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone know if this yields a CD key one can use through Steam? Would bite at that price. Loved the demo (game feels a lot more fun than the first which I mostly enjoyed for the story and presentation... the game itself had a lot of issues).

Kind of worrisome to read "not enough Patton" in that review from the OP, but I'm sure what's there is awesome. I hope the game is successful as there just aren't enough games that harken back to the type of FPS found in the 90's, which honestly is what this game reminds me. That might sound crazy, but I'm sure some will get my meaning.

Volcynika

Anyone know if this yields a CD key one can use through Steam? Would bite at that price. Loved the demo (game feels a lot more fun than the first which I mostly enjoyed for the story and presentation... the game itself had a lot of issues).

Kind of worrisome to read "not enough Patton" in that review from the OP, but I'm sure what's there is awesome. I hope the game is successful as there just aren't enough games that harken back to the type of FPS found in the 90's, which honestly is what this game reminds me. That might sound crazy, but I'm sure some will get my meaning.

Read the additional info :p

"Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable"

Did this game undergo an art style change part way through? I seem to remember seeing some preview footage from a year ago or more and the game had a more realistic look.

LaneDS

Read the additional info :p

"Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable"

I forgot to mention that I can't read. It makes this forum very difficult for me at times.

(Thanks!)

Top Bottom