• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II |OT| Mike Patton will eat your heart OUT!

Cudder

My order just came in! Gonna start it in a bit! Tres excited!

IMG_20120207_111609.jpg

also, dat cover

Damn I've been looking at this game for such a long time, but I just can't bring myself to drop $50 for it right now on Steam. Hopefully we'll see some good discounts soon like with most of the other 2K games, though I think it might be a while =(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks to be reviewing similar to Dark Sector, which I loved
That's actually a bit of concern for me. I liked the demo for The Darkness 2 but, man, I REALLY disliked Dark Sector. From what I could tell they've learned quite a bit since that game, however, as this appears to have a coherent story and decent gunplay.

Cudder

omg awesome double sided poster inside the case.

IMG_20120207_130701.jpg

IMG_20120207_130719.jpg

it's pretty big too.
I'm enjoying the game so far. Too early to tell really how it compares to the first, but it's definitely fun as hell playing through the levels.

theDeeDubs

It definitely has one of my favorite cover arts ever, although I preferred it without the red shading around the edges.

Loved the first game and I'm really looking forward to this one. Think I might wait a little while to pick it up, though, because it seems like the kind of game that will have a significant price drop fairly soon.

Himself

omg awesome double sided poster inside the case.

it's pretty big too.
I'm enjoying the game so far. Too early to tell really how it compares to the first, but it's definitely fun as hell playing through the levels.

Whoaaaaaaa. That thing is awesome. I'm holding out and waiting for more general impressions. I don't really care about the "short" campaign and stuff. I just want to know if it's as miserable (in the best sense possible) as the first.

GBONZZZZ

Did the Darkness I come out for PS3? I originally had it for 360, but now that I have a PS3, I'd like to get the first and second.

LaneDS

Did the Darkness I come out for PS3? I originally had it for 360, but now that I have a PS3, I'd like to get the first and second.

From what I understand, the PS3 version of the first game is hurting pretty badly in comparison to the 360 one.

Z3M0G

Picked up my copy at lunch! Didn't pre-order, but still got a Limited Edition (I don't think many people would have pre-ordered this, sadly...)

Can't wait to start playing in about 30 min! Loved the demo, and a huge fan of the comic and first game.

Smokey

I think that was a question. But according to the demo the PC port is super, besides some minor (YMMV) stuff like narrow FOV.
In my case I couldn't even play the demo. Is press start and the voice over would start but it'd be a black screen and the subtitles at the bottom would just overlap each other. Was reading that people had to uninstall phsyx etc so I just wanna know if all of that is corrected in the final before dropping money on it.

derFeef

In my case I couldn't even play the demo. Is press start and the voice over would start but it'd be a black screen and the subtitles at the bottom would just overlap each other. Was reading that people had to uninstall phsyx etc so I just wanna know if all of that is corrected in the final before dropping money on it.

Don't force AA and the physx stuff has been patched/fixed for the demo.

I didn't know about this game at all until the reviews came out, played the demo and loved it, I like the avoiding and shooting light sources mechanic. The upgrades seem to keep the gameplay varied but I didn't look deep into that. This really is the first FPS in a while that actually feels different to me. I'll get it after a price drop though, short campaign.

Meier

The Darkness was one of the first 360 games I played. I'll give this a look-see at some point.. the original was a pretty solid game.

RedSwirl

So I played the demo. Is the whole game corridor shooting like the demo? Or is it more like the first game where you could actual walk around and interact with characters?

Cudder

So I played the demo. Is the whole game corridor shooting like the demo? Or is it more like the first game where you could actual walk around and interact with characters?

The levels are quite linear, but in between each level you go back to your mansion and are free to walk around, talk to people until you're ready to go on to the next mission.

RedSwirl

The levels are quite linear, but in between each level you go back to your mansion and are free to walk around, talk to people until you're ready to go on to the next mission.

That still sucks compared to having the whole game world open to you. The first game was basically formatted like a large RPG town, and keeping that with the demo's combat would've turned this into a straight-up action RPG.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I just beat it. Took about 5 1/2 hours on the second hardest difficulty.

It was alright I guess. Definitely a big step down from the first game. Ends on a stupid cliffhanger too which is great given that this game is going to bomb.

Dragon

Banned
Well I just beat it. Took about 5 1/2 hours on the second hardest difficulty.

It was alright I guess. Definitely a big step down from the first game. Ends on a stupid cliffhanger too which is great given that this game is going to bomb.

Man. I was really hyped for this. Guess I'll wait for a price drop.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just finished it. I gotta say I'm fairly disappointed. The combat has so much potential and is extremely fun but poor boss fights, horrible AI, lack of level design, and lack of enemy types ruin it. The story is all over the place and the plot twist is too predictable. It's an average game and just that.

Bad7667

Played for about 4 hours. Easily one of the best action games available. I love just walking into a room and within seconds everyone is dead. Some are in pieces, others are nailed to walls. Such a great job at making you feel like a badass.

I should say that the first Darkness game is one of my favourite FPS`s and I was very cynical that, without Starbreeze, the second wouldn't be in the same league. I was very wrong. Its not better than the first game but its just as great.

Shame its being overlooked.

JMizzlin

Game has been great so far. Just played the
on-rails ghost train
section which was fun as. Enjoying this game very much so far. Going to have to give co-op a bash with some mates a little later.

Top Bottom