• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

krae_man

I have no idea how they could make two games so close to eachother and make the second one suck so much.

Jesus, the exact same game with just rehashed quests would have been better then this. The guns, the cheasts that require you to walk to the key maker first, the quests with parts spread out all over the entire world map, ughhhh.

And I'm not even getting into the things that should have been improved from the first game.

JWong

Banned
Wow uh...

I thought the game had autosave, and even forced saves when you use outhouses.

Why did I lose like 60% of my progress? Goddamn!

eznark

Banned
krae_man said:
And I'm not even getting into the things that should have been improved from the first game.

You can't really improve things when you develop the games simultaneously.

JWong

Banned
I noticed they did improve something, but it also feels like it was just shoved in.

You can hit level 20 before the final boss, which was an issue in the previous game. I did feel like I was waaaaay too powerful at the 75% mark. I leveled twice in 15 minutes.

They didn't fix the terrible targetting system though. It's still the worst thing I fight with.

krae_man

eznark said:
You can't really improve things when you develop the games simultaneously.

That's why I didn't count them and complained only about new stuff.

I was actually able to complete the oil derrick quest finally. I'm not sure why it wasn't letting me before. I would walk up and Deathspank would just say "It's broken" or whatever, and yesterday the wrench clock actually appeared.

Is there actually more cards then levels in this game? I got to level 21 and still had a choice or cards and it looks like Level 21 is the highest level.

I'm also annoyed that I found out the hard way that if I want to get the 20 outfit trophy I have to replay through 5 or so hours of the game and watch 20 site gags if I want to 100% this now. So nice of them to have a point of no return there and a quick save right after you cross that point.

Sqorgar

Banned
JWong said:
Wow uh...

I thought the game had autosave, and even forced saves when you use outhouses.

Why did I lose like 60% of my progress? Goddamn!
This was an issue with the first one. I don't know how the autosave works, but sometimes, it will forget to update your save file. I guess it just saves the file to memory and only writes it to file occasionally. I've never had the problem personally, but I have seen one or two other people mention it in the forums.

Anyway, when you are ready to quit, hit the start button and select quit. It'll manually save your game when exiting to the title screen.

krae_man

Sqorgar said:
This was an issue with the first one. I don't know how the autosave works, but sometimes, it will forget to update your save file. I guess it just saves the file to memory and only writes it to file occasionally. I've never had the problem personally, but I have seen one or two other people mention it in the forums.

Anyway, when you are ready to quit, hit the start button and select quit. It'll manually save your game when exiting to the title screen.

The game got stuck on me doing that on multiple occasions. They game doesn't freeze as I can still access the XMB without issue but the "saving, do not turn off your PS3" thing just stays there and never goes away. Luckally quiting on the XMB hasn't ruined my save file yet.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
krae_man said:
The game got stuck on me doing that on multiple occasions. They game doesn't freeze as I can still access the XMB without issue but the "saving, do not turn off your PS3" thing just stays there and never goes away. Luckally quiting on the XMB hasn't ruined my save file yet.
Yesterday something like this happened to me on ToV. It was taking forever to save, but I decided to let it do its thing and it eventually finished after a few minutes.

krae_man

Never mind, found it. I was missing Hot Head island and I found the DLC Dungeon.

Now I'm replaying 5-10 hours of the game just for the Madam Primp trophy:lol

Hi guys,

whenever I load the game I get the message "Downloadable Content Found" .. I downloaded the "content" and installed it, but I'm still getting the message everytime I load the game

what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Thong of Virtue.. its the same thread right?

Bebpo

Banned
I just finished up the PC version of Deathspank (game #1 of 2) and I thought it was good! Gameplay was a little repetitive, but the writing/art/music kept it fun. Plus it was pretty short so it didn't overstay it's welcome (took me about 8 hours for everything). I thought there was a bit too many quests though, especially since a good chunk of them are pretty fetchy.

The writing and voice acting were AWESOME. The actor who plays Deathspank was perfect and a lot of the other characters had great delivery as well. The dialogue was generally funny with a good amount of really LOL lines spread throughout. Loved the music and the art style with the 2d houses was great as well. I think the Orphans and their dialogue was the best. "I want a ....cell phone!" lolololol

I loved the way the game progressed. The world map with tons and tons of locations that were all varied and unique made it feel closer to a traditional rpg in progression than a dungeon crawler diablo-type. I loved how everything was close together and the game was generally fast paced so you kept running across new and cool locations. Good times!

My biggest complaint outside of the gameplay being kind of repetitive and a bit shallow is that at ~80% in the game I crossed over past the haunted forest and was greeted by a weapon seller. Since I had around 80 billion dollars or something because there was nothing to buy the whole game until then and since I was lvl.18 with +2 armor/weapon equip I bought the entire lvl.20 armor set, lvl.20 crossbow, lvl.20 katana. Unfortunately this made the last 20% of the game/map exploration not a loot game because nothing I picked up was ever better than that stuff. On top of that I hit lvl.20 before I got to the end, so I stopped gaining any exp. So without the loot aspect or the leveling up aspect, the game got a little boring at the very end. Especially because after I'd explored the whole map I was just running around doing the last dozen or so sidequests left, and when they're mainly fetch quests without the promise of better equip or xp to increase your level they start feeling more like chores than fun quests. Which is why I think the game has a few dozen too many quests; could've been trimmed down slightly for better pacing.

Was also kind of surprised how easy the achievements are to get. I think this is the first game in 3-4 years I've gotten 100% achievements ^^; But hey, it's nice to be able to get them all without having to do unfun grinding so I applaud this direction.

Overall I had a fun time up until that last hour or so when I hit max level, best equip. The end wasn't bad, it just by that time it felt a bit of "ok, let's finish this thing". I really liked how the team tried to mix some adventure gaming into the title with items that you had to use and a few puzzles you had to solve. I felt like the game was a mix of a traditional rpg (world exploration & dungeons) x diablo (combat & loot) x adventure game (puzzles & dialogue). It was a nice mix and really made it stand out as a unique game.

The ending...was a bit sudden... ^^; Does anything carryover to the next game? I have like a billion dollars in money still. Hope they release the next part on PC as well. Would be a shame if the first didn't sell enough to justify bringing the second or something.

Reading the last page of this thread, so the consensus on the 2nd game is that it's worse? :\ I'm all ready to explore another cool world map will be a shame if it's a step back.

Bebpo

Banned
bump

Sequel is up for pre-order for PC on steam. Comes out next week on the 30th.

Does anything carry over between the two titles? I lost my clear save between beating the first game and now, so what happens when I start the 2nd game? And to re-iterate my question from when the thread died, is the 2nd game good if you liked the first one? $13.50 good?

Ricker

Just got this a few weeks ago when it was on sale,pretty fun but I`m stuck right now,probably something stupid I am not doing or seeing...I can`t get to the Demon Mines to fill the bucket with demonic water,the bridge to cross over as a little gap in the middle that prevents me continuing...anyone remember this part?

Jucksalbe

Banned
The only broken bridge I remember is the one near the cow. You don't have to cross that one. My guess is you're trying to go to the wrong place, but to be honest I don't remember where you actually have to go.

Top Bottom